Benioff and Weiss’ Film Canceled (Variety Article now included)

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in X-Wing Off-Topic

These guys deserve any backlash they get.

Good riddance.

Cool more cancelled Star Wars films! Another few reddit mobs and we can probably get them to abandon the IP altogether.

Which is awesome because I hate when my favorite franchises have more content. Great success!

20 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Which is awesome because I hate when my favorite franchises have more content. Great success!

If we're only gonna talk in extremes, and the options are "Franchise I like gets no new content" or "Franchise I like gets content that makes me no longer enjoy said franchise" I'd rather have the first option. I can see why some would prefer the second, but I'm not one of them.
I doubt one missed opportunity will cause the entire franchise to be abandoned, but I've seen a fair few big film names die after a terrible sequel (looking at you, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ).

You have the option to not watch something. When you get films canceled, as Star Wars fans have already done with 2 stand-alones and likely 2 trilogies now the people who would like to see them cannot go and create them.

Good. After the recent discourse I've been seeing on twitter, houh.

Screw these guys.

Good. After the recent discourse I've been seeing on twitter, houh.

Screw these guys.

They did an excellent job with Game of Thrones (no, the last 2 seasons don't undo everything they built) so I was looking forward for their take on the Star Wars IP. Shame.

Timeline

r4i7cubnehv31.png

23 hours ago, Odanan said:

They did an excellent job with Game of Thrones (no, the last 2 seasons don't undo everything they built) so I was looking forward for their take on the Star Wars IP. Shame.

They did.. or , more precisely, they did an excellent job of adapting the source material for TV.

Where it started to fall down was when they ran out of material to work with.

Now, if they had a clear, detailed Star Wars story to work from with a clearly defined beginning, middle and end, they'd probably do a really good job with it.

Not sure there are that many Star Wars stories with that criteria though, given the Disney's purge.

David Benioff, D.B. Weiss’ Film(s) Would Have Explored Origins of Jedi

Variety Article *

*Variety is considered the industry magazine so I would think this article lays out the close to the facts as we can get.

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun
On 10/30/2019 at 1:50 PM, FTS Gecko said:

They did.. or , more precisely, they did an excellent job of adapting the source material for TV.

Where it started to fall down was when they ran out of material to work with.

Now, if they had a clear, detailed Star Wars story to work from with a clearly defined beginning, middle and end, they'd probably do a really good job with it.

Not sure there are that many Star Wars stories with that criteria though, given the Disney's purge.

If the end of asoiaf was easy George would have written it by now. I wouldn’t judge these two for that problem. George can’t do it even with unlimited budget and he’s one of the best writers in the world right now.

On 10/30/2019 at 5:59 PM, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

David Benioff, D.B. Weiss’ Film(s) Would Have Explored Origins of Jedi

Variety Article *

*Variety is considered the industry magazine so I would think this article lays out the close to the facts as we can get.

It’s hard to imagine a time before Jedi jiving with Lucas’ vision of what the force actually is.

2 hours ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

If the end of asoiaf was easy George would have written it by now. I wouldn’t judge these two for that problem. George can’t do it even with unlimited budget and he’s one of the best writers in the world right now.

I think he is being distracted more than anything. How many books has he released since the Dance with Dragons? 5? 6?

9 hours ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

😬

On 10/29/2019 at 11:19 AM, TasteTheRainbow said:

You have the option to not watch something. When you get films canceled, as Star Wars fans have already done with 2 stand-alones and likely 2 trilogies now the people who would like to see them cannot go and create them.

If Disney had given someone like Uwe Boll or Tommy Wiseau the director's chair, there probably isn't a fan alive that would not have preferred the movie was cancelled rather than produced.

The only disagreement is how bad of an opinion we all here have of the directors that they did choose (D&D), and if it crossed that line.

I'm in the camp that it did and I'm glad it was taken back from them. Disney can funnel those resources to other creators that can produce something that adds to the SW setting instead of something that likely would have ended up garbage.

Edited by kris40k
On 11/1/2019 at 10:28 AM, TasteTheRainbow said:

Apparently, the basic outcome of the story was told by GRRM to the showrunners. For me, it made a lot of sense how Danny turned out (and the necessity to kill her). The problem was the poor execution of the last 2 seasons until that outcome (and the actual aftermath).

Oh, and after watching The Mandalore, I don't think Disney needs to do new film trilogies. Great series like The Mandalorian can fill our Star Wars void. (but unfortunatelly, of course Disney won't stop doing movies - it's too much money to pass)

33 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Oh, and after watching The Mandalore, I don't think Disney needs to do new film trilogies. Great series like The Mandalorian can fill our Star Wars void. (but unfortunatelly, of course Disney won't stop doing movies - it's too much money to pass)

Next they'll probably try to do things the Marvel way.