Warlords of the F'Tarq Sector - IC - players only please

By LTD, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

Just now, The Jabbawookie said:

If it's all right... I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for modding a game. I've got a map and some ideas.

Count me in brother.

@FortyInRed you said you would like for everyone to share their spreadsheets to see what works for everyone?

9 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

If it's all right... I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for modding a game. I've got a map and some ideas.

Go for it. I have some ideas on rule reforms, but you might have your own rules in mind. Happy to discuss, happy to play.

Congrats to Bertie - it was a close run thing at the end there... had to beat an even fleet over Y AND hold Q - if the Consortium has a few more GF with their fleet? And not lose either of the old Preyarch worlds or your capital - a lot of things went right to bring this to a close.

Well done to @BiggsIRL for adding colour and trying to shake things up - I was surprised everyone piled on there - but I’m often surprised by humans not doing what I think they should.

I suggest everyone go and read Machiavelli’s “the Prince” before playing these kinds of games - get some realpolitik...

Thanks all for a good game!

Edited by LTD
Just now, LTD said:

Go for it. I have some ideas on tile reforms, but you might have your own rules in mind. Happy to discuss, happy to play.

Congrats to Bertie - it was a close run thing at the end there... had to beat an even fleet over Y AND hold Q - if the Consortium has a few more GF with their fleet? And not lose either of the old Preyarch worlds or your capital - a lot of things went right to bring this to a close.

Well done to @BiggsIRL for adding colour and trying to shake things up - I was surprised everyone piled on there - but I’m often surprised by humans not doing what I think they should.

I suggest everyone go and read Machiavelli’s “the Prince” before playing these kinds of games - get some realpolitik...

Thanks all for a good game!

Thanks for hosting it!

1 minute ago, LTD said:

Go for it. I have some ideas on rule reforms, but you might have your own rules in mind. Happy to discuss, happy to play.

Thank you for making this happen! I'd love to get your take on rule reforms; you've been best equipped to see the big picture.

Thanks for the game @LTD ! I quite enjoyed it. And congrats to @Bertie Wooster !

Here's my spreadsheet . Everything is on one page, so scroll down to see the rest of the turns.

Edit: Also @The Jabbawookie - count me in for any game you host.

Edited by GhostofNobodyInParticular

This was a total blast!

Thanks for letting me play. Congrats to @Bertie Wooster and thanks to @LTD for being such a great GM.

My spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pvUmWbZJitHOkLgeIFx8yHQzdlCtNJ-4KDBU49cjKno/edit?usp=sharing

@The Jabbawookie I have some ideas on rule tweaks too. Overall I thought this was great, the one thing that jumped out at me was the formulaic nature of planetary assault:

Invade. See if you have enough GF. Bring in more. See if you have enough...

I'd rather that you have to commit to an assault blind, but that the battle had an element of randomness to it. Maybe just follow basic Risk rules for assaults as there are enough free calculators available.

So a small force could beat a larger one, but you also don't get to decide to invade after seeing what they have defending. Before you attack you commit to bombarding or assaulting and cast your fates to the wind.

Just means more dice rolling - but not a bad idea.

1 hour ago, LTD said:

Well done to @BiggsIRL for adding colour and trying to shake things up - I was surprised everyone piled          on there - but I’m often surprised by humans not doing what I think they should.  

@BiggsIRL gah I was so torn here. I really wanted to go out in a blaze of glory but wasn't looking forward to people calling me a hypocrite for blasting @Matt3412 when he betrayed me..I was actually planning to have one of my fleets "rebel" and go fight with the Tron'di, but I couldn't ever find a good time that made sense in-game. I considered having "Goon Captain Brett" rebel against me and align with Biggs. I also considered the donation of the MC80CC to the Mandos trigger a rebellion...if only Biggs had attacked one turn earlier...

Either way, I think that my "be nice to everyone" approach actually worked out fairly well. People gifted me a large point-numbers' worth of ships, more than I gave @The Jabbawookie in exchange for my capital. Speaking of, @The Jabbawookie , how heavily were you defending C after taking it from me early in the game?

I was expecting you to crush me at T so I did a balls to the wall assault on @Matt3412 to cause as much havoc as possible before dying. I left a single fighter and GF at T, in the unlikely event that you didn't attack. My attack on B and Y worked out better than I could have possibly imagined!

3 minutes ago, FortyInRed said:

how heavily were you defending C after taking it from me early in the game?

No forces left until it was returned to your control.

1 minute ago, The Jabbawookie said:

No forces left until it was returned to your control.

So you were planning on me just retaking it next turn?

What was the point of taking it in the first place?

Just now, FortyInRed said:

So you were planning on me just retaking it next turn?

What was the point of taking it in the first place?

Holding it for the IC. We were planning on you trying to retake it.

6 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Holding it for the IC. We were planning on you trying to retake it.

See I figured you had a huge fleet there and were building GFs as quickly as possible. I did some back of the napkin math and figured that if you went all-in on GF, for more than a turn or two, I couldn't possibly reclaim it.

Matt3412 agreeing to peace was a lifesaver because I was two turns away from defeat.

Note to self: always heavily guard your capital!

Edited by FortyInRed
1 minute ago, FortyInRed said:

See I figured you had a huge fleet there and were building GFs as quickly as possible. I did some back of the napkin math and figured that if you went all-in on GF, for more than a turn or two, I couldn't possibly reclaim it.

Honestly it probably would have been in our best interests at the time to keep it. But I didn't have the heart for that, and you kept your word, so all's well that ends well.

I can't figure out how to share things on my phone, but obviously I was the guy in dsH trying to stir the pot and provoke a response. The hope was that I would catch some forces sitting at H and knock them out early (and maybe get the eliminate a fleet VP).

I figured I could convince @FortyInRed to support me by giving him enough forces to open a second front, and @GhostofNobodyInParticular / @clontroper5 would pile in when presented with a fight against the other major alliance. Or at least Ghost would keep sitting the fight out.

Whoops.

My biggest tactical failure in defense was not holding P with everything I had and going to relieve my capital. Z was my capital, sure, but P was the crown jewel.

dsH wasn't my only pokeing - I moved a lot of random ds moves over the course of the game to try and provoke people into defending places or being suspicious of one another.

@clontroper5 and @GhostofNobodyInParticular - Thanks for being great allies! I was REALLY hoping neither of you got invaded while I was preparing to invade Matt, because I didn't want to send my ships to your planets that I had intended for invading.

@Lord Preyer and @idjmv - Once clon and GNIP made an alliance with me, I decided to start taking land from the south of me, which is why I acted as I did towards you guys. Nothing personal; you guys are awesome! It's just that I needed an enemy or two to pick on.

@BiggsIRL Thanks for the donation in the end! I thought your attempt to "free" Forty was pretty cool; I expected him to join you.

@FortyInRed Even though we weren't allies, I was rooting for your search for the chalice. Sorry you never found it!

@Matt3412 Since you wouldn't give up A easily, I went after your home system instead. I wanted to take advantage your your ground combat disadvantage. You caught me by surprise with the ships you had on your worlds. I expected to find lots of GF and few ships; instead I found the opposite. If the dice had rolled in your favor on that last attack on Ylesia, we would've been playing this game for a few more turns! Congratulations on 2nd place!

@The Jabbawookie Well played! If you were within striking range of my forces when I attacked Matt (I made sure you weren't), I'd have been toast! You were a fearsome adversary.

@LTD , thank you so much for hosting! This was a fantastic game, and much more fun than Twilight Imperium IMO.

My spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AtTAALnYXNZ5gKZSY_uptezjAH-td-dApBG90qOu9rU/edit?usp=sharing

I also made a spreadsheet of just turns 1-4. (Click the tabs at the bottom.) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CWiKQn7RZxIjTuvh-sQEmTQ9ePob8_WxDkzu3Uevae8/edit?usp=sharing

Here are my notes on turns 1-4. (These were originally written to Lord Preyer.)

Game Begin: Since squadron capacity is all that really matters in a fleet, this isn't a very efficient fleet. 2 Quasars and 4 Gozantis would've been perfect, and an even 200 points. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

Turn 1: The first thing you want to do at the beginning of the game is build and expand. And the quicker you expand, the more you can build. My capital planet, R, is just one jump away from J, D, E, and L. I found out through discussion that D and J were GNIP and clon's capital planets. If you have another planet in your home system, you should absolutely claim it as yours to take on turn 1. So I claimed E for my own (even though clon claimed it first, I negotiated with him and he let me have it).

There is a place for secrecy in this game, but IMO it's a good idea to let other players know which planets belong to you this early in the game. Otherwise they are MORE likely to invade your planets, because they'll think they are neutral.

I refused to sign clon's treaty, because I want to have the option of attacking whoever I want to, ideally by surprise.

Turn 2: My neighbors, GNIP and clon, both offer an alliance with me, and I accept gladly. I'm fine with being in an alliance with just two people, but being in a treaty with everyone would've backfired eventually.

The most important thing to remember in this game, is that your forces will fire at will at anyone they encounter, unless you give them instructions otherwise. That's why I start saying " Do not shoot clon. Do not shoot GNIP." in every set of orders from now on.

Note that I assumed squadrons needed to be supported by a ship, and would be destroyed otherwise. That's why 1 TIE Bomber and 1 Jumpmaster disappeared from my spreadsheet (I corrected this next turn). Actually, as LTD pointed out, You're free to leave them on a planet you control, much like GF. But you can't leave them hanging out alone in deep space or in orbit above a planet you don't control.

Although I didn't announce my arrival at L, I expected you to possibly be going there at the same time, which is why I sent my entire fleet there, in case of a fight.

Turn 3: Now I have three planets! Things are looking good! I decide to get greedy and go for 4. I have to say I think I got REALLY lucky these first few turns. You didn't invade either L or N, so I was able to take them over without difficulty.

Clon and Jabba offered to buy a Quasar, and I unwisely offered to sell one to each of them. I should have just built ships for myself; I had plenty of credits.

Turn 4: I got attacked by the Nordic Berserkers this turn, because I hadn't announced that I was at N. I was actually hoping I WOULD get attacked, because it would give me an excuse to go to war and try to take someone else's planet. Yeah, I'm greedy.

Note that I accidentally flipped my spreadsheet upside down! "after jump" is above "before jump." I corrected this next turn.

Woa I missed some stuff guys, sorry but that been offline for a couple days.

Also I for one welcome our new FUNKY overlords

On 4/10/2019 at 1:23 AM, Bertie Wooster said:

@clontroper5 and @GhostofNobodyInParticular - Thanks for being great allies! I was REALLY hoping neither of you got invaded while I was preparing to invade Matt, because I didn't want to send my ships to your planets that I had intended for invading.

@Lord Preyer and @idjmv - Once clon and GNIP made an alliance with me, I decided to start taking land from the south of me, which is why I acted as I did towards you guys. Nothing personal; you guys are awesome! It's just that I needed an enemy or two to pick on.

@BiggsIRL Thanks for the donation in the end! I thought your attempt to "free" Forty was pretty cool; I expected him to join you.

@FortyInRed Even though we weren't allies, I was rooting for your search for the chalice. Sorry you never found it!

@Matt3412 Since you wouldn't give up A easily, I went after your home system instead. I wanted to take advantage your your ground combat disadvantage. You caught me by surprise with the ships you had on your worlds. I expected to find lots of GF and few ships; instead I found the opposite. If the dice had rolled in your favor on that last attack on Ylesia, we would've been playing this game for a few more turns! Congratulations on 2nd place!

@The Jabbawookie Well played! If you were within striking range of my forces when I attacked Matt (I made sure you weren't), I'd have been toast! You were a fearsome adversary.

@LTD , thank you so much for hosting! This was a fantastic game, and much more fun than Twilight Imperium IMO.

My spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AtTAALnYXNZ5gKZSY_uptezjAH-td-dApBG90qOu9rU/edit?usp=sharing

I also made a spreadsheet of just turns 1-4. (Click the tabs at the bottom.) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CWiKQn7RZxIjTuvh-sQEmTQ9ePob8_WxDkzu3Uevae8/edit?usp=sharing

Here are my notes on turns 1-4. (These were originally written to Lord Preyer.)

Game Begin: Since squadron capacity is all that really matters in a fleet, this isn't a very efficient fleet. 2 Quasars and 4 Gozantis would've been perfect, and an even 200 points. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

Turn 1: The first thing you want to do at the beginning of the game is build and expand. And the quicker you expand, the more you can build. My capital planet, R, is just one jump away from J, D, E, and L. I found out through discussion that D and J were GNIP and clon's capital planets. If you have another planet in your home system, you should absolutely claim it as yours to take on turn 1. So I claimed E for my own (even though clon claimed it first, I negotiated with him and he let me have it).

There is a place for secrecy in this game, but IMO it's a good idea to let other players know which planets belong to you this early in the game. Otherwise they are MORE likely to invade your planets, because they'll think they are neutral.

I refused to sign clon's treaty, because I want to have the option of attacking whoever I want to, ideally by surprise.

Turn 2: My neighbors, GNIP and clon, both offer an alliance with me, and I accept gladly. I'm fine with being in an alliance with just two people, but being in a treaty with everyone would've backfired eventually.

The most important thing to remember in this game, is that your forces will fire at will at anyone they encounter, unless you give them instructions otherwise. That's why I start saying " Do not shoot clon. Do not shoot GNIP." in every set of orders from now on.

Note that I assumed squadrons needed to be supported by a ship, and would be destroyed otherwise. That's why 1 TIE Bomber and 1 Jumpmaster disappeared from my spreadsheet (I corrected this next turn). Actually, as LTD pointed out, You're free to leave them on a planet you control, much like GF. But you can't leave them hanging out alone in deep space or in orbit above a planet you don't control.

Although I didn't announce my arrival at L, I expected you to possibly be going there at the same time, which is why I sent my entire fleet there, in case of a fight.

Turn 3: Now I have three planets! Things are looking good! I decide to get greedy and go for 4. I have to say I think I got REALLY lucky these first few turns. You didn't invade either L or N, so I was able to take them over without difficulty.

Clon and Jabba offered to buy a Quasar, and I unwisely offered to sell one to each of them. I should have just built ships for myself; I had plenty of credits.

Turn 4: I got attacked by the Nordic Berserkers this turn, because I hadn't announced that I was at N. I was actually hoping I WOULD get attacked, because it would give me an excuse to go to war and try to take someone else's planet. Yeah, I'm greedy.

Note that I accidentally flipped my spreadsheet upside down! "after jump" is above "before jump." I corrected this next turn.

Wonderful notes and wonderful play Bertie - thank you so very much indeed sir!

I will study and PM thee!

(and sorry again everyone especially @LTD for crashing out - will learn my lesson for next time!)

I think you’ve already missed the next time.