Terrinoth Beastary: Converted creatures from other Terrinoth sources

By Archellus, in Realms of Terrinoth

1 minute ago, Archellus said:

Wouldent bother with encum on a npc 😀 sil 2 could be a fair argument wont change much. I can add hooves. The dagger is from the ffg product describtions Ventala are unyielding warriors in battle, using their short-range javelins and razor-sharp knives to strike down the enemies of the Aymhelin and defend their land.

In another entry it, said they use now to so i made this one with bow. Ill mix up hooves on both the minion and Rival 😀

Yeah, with the encumbrance thing I was basing the number off the various mounts in the Terrinoth book. May be too granular for an NPC, but I guarantee some PC is going to ask to ride them if they meet a group of Ventala. :) I see what you mean about the daggers.

LOL, yeah, I can see at least a couple of my players asking a centaur for a ride....

So instead of hooves how about this to much ? @SavageBob

uc?id=1kyhJy6z0oLe02BiPyFj6_w5mbf1vPf2i

Can give it to both the rival and the minion.

I like it! I guess it depends on whether you see them more as ranged or close-combat fighters. For ranged, being able to knock your opponent back a range band is more useful. For close combat, though, knockdown is more useful, as it adds a boost to melee attacks against the prone target. I could see them going either way.

Basically skirmishers in Runewars, if that helps.

Added an official pic of the Dispossessed, and a Marrow Priest. Originally, I've been avoiding adding creatures that are also D&D staples, (like Ettins, Trolls, etc.), but I think I'll go back and add them too.

@Archellus Really like the way it's put together.

I have made some changes to some of the monsters for game balance. However, I really like the flavor text with each creature. Did you pull it from the games or did you create it yourself from scratch?

Been working on several like this but heroes and named NPCs. Look forward to seeing more.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:48 AM, DarthZorg said:

I have made some changes to some of the monsters for game balance. However, I really like the flavor text with each creature. Did you pull it from the games or did you create it yourself from scratch?

Been working on several like this but heroes and named NPCs. Look forward to seeing more.

Happy that you are enjoying these critters. I havent playtested alot of these so any balancing issues or feedback is most welcome. Now game balance in genesys can vary from group to group though. If you have the time PM me or share the experience here :)

The flavor text was shamelessly stolen from various sources. Sometimes i would edit it a bit to shorten or call out specific points. Most where taken from https://descent2e.fandom.com/wiki/Descent:_Journeys_in_the_Dark_(Second_Edition)_Wiki or https://runewars.fandom.com/wiki/Runewars_Miniatures_Wiki

Others from the FFG products page. They usually have a article about the monster from the board game. For example:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/runewars-miniatures-game/products/carrion-lancers-expansion-pack/

Im adding 20 Terrinoth specific creatures from official source material in a couple days. (To my Bestiary). Im crap for converting, but I'll include the official card in each entry for help if any want to do the conversion work. ;) Once Ive added all, Ill have them in a separate folder too...so they'll be easy to find.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:48 PM, DarthZorg said:

Are you going to share the named NPC conversions? :)

What's the best way to determine what region of Mennara a particular beast is native to? I'm not familiar with the card games and board games, so I'm probably missing something. For instance, I did notice that a lot of the desert creatures have a little lamp symbol on them, which strongly suggests these critters are native to Al-Kalim. Are there other such symbols? What's the code to figure out where they belong? (I sort them by region in m Endnote database.)

Yes, the lamp symbol means it was in the Al-Kalim expansion. I'd honestly have to look at them all closer, to tell you which symbol was which expansion. I'm sure there are some creatures in a given expansion that could exist all over too...so really, it's more up to you as the GM and just applying logic to it. It's one of the reasons I included the cards in my entries, so one could build off the scant information given for each one. (as well as verifying to purists, that it is indeed canon to be in Mennara). ;)

Likewise, I don't think we physically have ALL of the Runebound expansions (and don't have the newest release of it), so I could be missing some. I'll have to get with the wife to confirm, as she's the collector. If we are missing any, it can't be many of them.

I just picked up a cool expansion for Descent that has figs for two Demon Lords, 4 characters, Crow Hags, and Skeleton Archers. Man those figs look cool.

Yeah, if you can figure out a key to the card symbols so we can sort them by region, that'd be helpful. You're right that they could be anywhere, but I find it helpful to at least know their home territory. :)

I looked around on Boardgamegeek and found several cards used there in play-by-post games for Runebound that we seem to be missing. I mentioned a couple of those on Facebook (the Spelldrake, the Fetch Imp, the Healing Toad). There are some others, too. I wish I could find scans of all the cards somewhere, but I haven't had any luck on that front.

Edited by SavageBob

I added those three to it already. ;) Thanks. Yeah, I have to go through our combined allies deck. (Sands of Al-Kalim has a separate allies deck for the way it plays). I'll check on the symbols though, and put up a key.

For the one doing stats on the named PCs, I have a pretty good list here, along with their source cards, if it helps. https://www.scabard.com/pbs/campaign/235523/folder/263802

Well, I'm about halfway through the list adding source cards, so likely will have all of them in by the time you read this.

Edited by IamGazrok

As a note to Archellus, I added a TON of creatures to my list from Runebound cards. I also made a separate folder for Mounts and Familiars, as this is really (for me) one of the coolest things about playing in this gameworld...different than the standard mounts and familiars, so fresh and new.

https://www.scabard.com/pbs/campaign/235523/folder/335394

On the card symbols, anything with a ship's wheel would be Torue-Albes islands. Once home, some night this week, I'll look at them, and see what other symbols there are, and what expansions (area) they go to.

Found this link for the expansions. Isle of Dread would be Torue Albes. Frozen Wastes Isheim. And Sands is Al-Kalim. I typically view Midnight as the bordering villages of the Mistlands. Others arent so geographic though. https://www.google.com/search?q=symbols+for+runebound+expansions&hl=en&prmd=snvi&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZhZzxjtvjAhVIs1kKHYRtBekQ_AUIGCgE&biw=360&bih=517#imgrc=48Ydl_HenX-T8M

I included a tab in the Bestiary folder that has this key also.

Edited by IamGazrok

Thanks for the legend! It's very helpful. A few you seem to be missing:

Caught in a Web: Spider

Fall of the Dark Star: Fireball

The Gilded Blade: Sword

Mists of Zanaga: Cobra Head

The Mountains Rise: Mountain

Unbreakable Bonds: Laurel Wreath

Edited by SavageBob

Also, most of them seem to be set within the baronies of Terrinoth with the exception of:

The Dark Forest (Aymhelin, I think)

Drakes and Dragonspawn (The Molten Heath, or at least the monster come from there I think)

The Frozen Wastes (Isheim)

The Island of Dread (Torue Albes)

Midnight (another fantasy world called Eredane, so not Mennara at all)

Mists of Zanaga (Zanaga)

Sands of Al-Kalim (Al-Kalim)

Shadows of Margath (the Mistlands, I think)

Assuming I'm not wrong about the others, do no scenarios take place in the Ru Steppes? Lorimor?

There are no Runebound expansions for either of those, no. (Ru or Lorimor).

Weird, I didn't know that about Midnight (another world), as we seldom played it. It has a very Mistlands "feel" to it though.... Actually, it just says "land" of Eredane...so could still be in Mennara...(but I think you're right given the storyline there).

Those ones you mention, don't sound like Creatures though....more like scenarios.

Edited by IamGazrok

Thanks again for your super-helpful page, IamGarzok. I just went through your bestiary and cross-referenced with the list of beasts I made while going through the Runebound cards online. Here are the beasts I think you've missed, separated by the expansion or scenario they can be found in. Where the beast has a different name from the card it appears on, I've given the card(s) in parentheses :

Runebound (basic game)

Brood of the Bloodmother

Hybrid (Hybrid Berserkers, Hybrid Skystrikers) [Note, these are called Dragon Hybrids in the Realms of Terrinoth sourcebook]

Mists of Zanaga

Bogclaws (Bogclaw Netters)

Broodling (Broodling Swarm)

Carrion Lord

Devilwasp (Devilwasp Hive, Devilwasp Swarm)

Eyes of the Dead

Frogs of Muurkra

Gohma Imp

Hexicar (Hexicar Shaman)

Hrothgar Wing

K'gorek Ravager

Mind Worm

Mistvine (Mistvine Druid, Mistvine Thicket, Submerged Mistvine)

Plague Flies

Ravenous Dead

River Serpent

Saurian (Feral Saurian, Giant Saurian)

Savage Quetzal

Spawn Breeder

Tainted Centipede

Tainted Monkey

Tainted Wild Dog

Thundertusk Stampede

Vampire Bats

Venom Spitter

Witherer (Dread Witherer)

Zanaga Python

Zanagan Tiger

Artifacts and Allies

Guardian Dog

Walkers of the Wild

Dragon Hybrid (Dirgov, Dragon Scion; Kirion Drake-Blood) [same as above]

Weapons of Legend

Arrowhounds

The Dark Forest

Lord of Corruption

Razorwing Larva

Witch of the Wood

Wrapwood Bramble [seems to be different from the tree version]

Terrors of the Tomb

Doppelshadow

Oathworn Spectre

Restless Shade

Rotting Hounds

Skeleton of Margath

Storm Walkers

Unliving Rune

Drakes and Dragonspawn

Hybrid (Hybrid Sorcerer, Warspawn Hybrid)

Sylvan Wyrm

Venomspawn

Shadows of Margath

Devourers

Feathered Wyrm

Guardian of the Wild

Hoard Serpent

Lightning Djinn

Loryne (Loryne Sentinel)

Moon Rider

Serpentspawn (Serpentspawn Shaman)

Shadow Fey

Unspeakable Master

Vampire (Forsaken Vampire)

Vrall (Frenzied Vrall)

Werewolf of the Moors

Beasts and Bandits

Hybrid (Hybrid Hunter)

King of the Cave [A Direbear?]

Miasmic Dragonlord

Wolf Riders

Traps and Terrors

Gelatinous Ooze (Gelatinous Pit)

Crown of the Elder Kings

Doppelganger (Sword Shifter)

Rune Demon

Summoning Siren

The Scepter of Kyros

Living Stone (Magmus the Mountainous)

Cult of the Rune

Bog Troll

Rune Dragon

Rune Spawn

The Cataclysm

Mind Riders

Frozen Wastes

Ancient (Ancient Behemoth, Ancient Collector, Ancient Enforcer, Ancient Explorer, Ancient Flyer, Ancient Scout, Ancient Servant, Ancient Warrior, Rumbling of the Machines)

Arctic Strider

Blackwood Spirit

The Blackwood Horror

Blood Gulls

Coldflame Wisp

Cryomancer

Deerkin Stag

Direwolf (Cornered Direwolf, Direwolf Horde, Direwolf Pack, Lone Direwolf)

Flamefolk (Flamefolk Elementalist, Flamefolk Outcast, Flamefolk Marauder, Lokai's Chosen)

Frost Bear (Frost Bear Cub, Giant Frost Bear)

Frost Shade

Frozen Dead

Ice Lich

Ice Spiker

Ice Witch

Mastodon (Raging Mastodon)

Rarrwarr

Sarscha the Vile

Snow Viper

Tuskbeast

Witch Tree

Yeti (The Yeti Hunt, Yeti Shaman)

Island of Dread

Antenil Soul Stealer

Assif Ship-Sa

Bloodfire Tribesman

Cardinal Thok

Coral Golem

Crimson-Tailed Lurker

Dalofer [Bloodthirsty Dalofer]

Drollock Beast

Droonetele [Feral Droontele]

Daggertooth Shark

Drowned Souls

Green Terror

Guardian of the Deep

Kar-Amag-Atoth

Merfolk [Merfolk Charioteer, Merfolk Warriors]

Plague Dragon

Poisonous Drake

Revenant Dragon

Rotting Drake

Screeching Abomination

Sea Dragon

Sea Drake

Sea Serpent

Sea Stallion

Shark Dragon

Slaggorrath

Silite

Snake Dragon

Swamp Dragon

Viper-Tailed Lurker

Wight [Wights of the Crypt]

Winged Lizard

Sands of Al-Kalim

Darkness Drinker

Dragon of Kellos

The Efreet

Living Quicksand

Minotaur [Horned Warrior; Horned Shaman]

Sandworm Larva

Undying Knight

War Elephant

Battlemage

Hydra Dragon [unclear if this is different from a standard Hydra]

Blade Dancer

Gnoll Raiders

Grasping Tentacles

Minotaur Shaman

River Stalker

Runemaster

Construct Golem

Relic Wraith

Rock Hound

Shadow Walker

Emerald Dragon

Frost Dragon

Plague Dragon

Spiritbound

Cave Troll

Elementalist

Lich King (Throne of the Lich King)

River Guardian (Summon River Guardian)

Spiked Pit Trap

Spiritbound Razorwing

Stranglethorn (Stranglethorn Trap)

Wildlander

Flesh Golem

Minotaur [Minotaur's Strength]

Scorpion [Scorpion Sting]

Tree Ent [Awaken Tree Ents]

Yikes and I thougt i had converted most of what was out there seems like there is still plenty to add 😀