Terrinoth Beastary: Converted creatures from other Terrinoth sources

By Archellus, in Realms of Terrinoth

Change log

Added: Armor Specter, Ice Spiker, Snow Viper, Ventala Warden, Wolf, Wolf (dire), Zanaga Vampire Bat Swarm

Change log

Added Carrion worm and Carrion lancer also Ventala Centaur Skirmisher

Added some new art

Change log

Added Changeling minion and Changeling Master

Fixed formating and Added new art

Change log

Added the Dark Cultist now paired with the dark priest they can be found under Dark Worshippers

Fixed some spelling

Change log 2.03.2019

Added the Elemental sprite and ancient elemental original idea by Discord user Kunrad

Fixed some art errors

Terrinoth Beastary

New thread for inclusion on the Genesys Resource List.

A community created resource for monsters converted from the boardgames: Decent, Battlelore and Runewars as well as other sources related to Terrinoth. Will be updated regular with new critters.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jFquSzJMrJPCnY19eSIWrjHNBv40xc2j Current version 1.1.5

If you have any feedback from using these monsters in your home game please let me know.

If you would like to contribute to the development of the beastary discussions and development will continue in the old thread.
Just creating this one so that i can update the link in the first post and add it to the ressource list.

The current project contains 49 enemies unique to Terrinoth.

• Arachyura (rival)
  • Armored Specter (rival)
  • Barrow Wyrm (nemesis)
  • Blood Ape (rival)
  • Bone Horror (minion)
  • Broodwalker (minion)
  • Broodwalker Swarm (rival)
  • Carrion Drake (minion)
  • Carrion Grub worm (minion) By Flobio
  • Carrion Worm (rival)
  • Carrion Lancer (rival)
  • Cave Spider (minion)
  • Crow Hag (rival)
  • Crypt Dragon (rival) by Flobio
  • Chaos Beast (nemesis)
  • Changeling (minion)
  • Changeling Master (nemesis)
  • Dark Minotaur (nemesis)
  • Dark Worshippers Cultist (minion)
  • Dark Worshippers Priest (nemesis)
  • Demon Lord (nemesis)
  • Doombringer (rival)
  • Elemental Sprite(minion) by Discord user Kunrad
  • Elemental, Ancient (nemesis)
  • Ettin (nemesis)
  • Fire Imps (minion)
  • Flesh Moulder (nemesis)
  • Goblin Archer (rival) by @Flobio
  • Harpy (minion)
  • Hellhound (rival)
  • Ice Spiker (minion)
  • Lava Beetle (minion)
  • Medusa (nemesis)
  • Mountain Giant (rival) by Flobio
  • Naga (rival) + Mistress of serpents (nemesis)
  • Obscene (rival)
  • Plauge worm (rival)
  • River Watch Riders (rival)
  • Shadow Dragon (Nemesis)
  • Shambling Colossus (Rival)
  • Snow Viper (rival)
  • Troll (rival)
  • Ventala Centaur Skirmisher (minion)
  • Ventala Warden (rival)
  • Volucrix Reaver (minion)
  • Wolf (minion)
  • Wolf, Dire (rival)
  • Ynfernael Hulk (rival)
  • Zanaga Vampire Bat Swarm
Edited by Archellus
add new version

Does anyone have a PDF that can be edited?

12 minutes ago, TeamBizzaro said:

I use GMbinder to create the document it produces a PDF if you follow the link and download it it will make a pdf. You would in theory be able to edit it using Adobe Pro or something. If you want a template to create your own monsters there are other resources out there like card templates etc.

What did you want to do with the edit ? just curious might be able to point you in the right direction.

12 minutes ago, TeamBizzaro said:

I was looking to create additional races and creatures. I was hoping to use the look and feel of the Bestiary pages.

4 hours ago, TeamBizzaro said:

I was looking to create additional races and creatures. I was hoping to use the look and feel of the Bestiary pages.

I use a program called GMbinder and a slightly modified version of the terrinoth template https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LAd3GBwVpsjlo3MsYeB its easy enough to use you get more mileage if you have working knowledge of CSS and HTML.

Try and check out the master ressource list in the main genesys forum if you have photoshop or indesign there are some great templates and options out there. Also is a word doc that lets you do the same with a bit of work. Tons of ressources to be found

new version is up with 2 new monsters thanks to some input from Discord user Kunrad

I noticed some typos in the Ettin block. Meele instead of Melee. Thought you might want to know. :)

On 3/3/2019 at 9:32 PM, Veruca said:

I noticed some typos in the Ettin block. Meele instead of Melee. Thought you might want to know. :)

I finally had some more time to look at the project again. Turns out i had 10 of those spelling mistakes 🙄 anyways corrected them now thanks for pointing them out.

Also added a new minion the dark cultist

Cheers

Hi all

Was trying to get some work done on this again and found one creature from the original list i did not do yet.

The changeling https://descent2e.fandom.com/wiki/Changeling

Having some doubts how to do this because of the cards in the boardgame that can change this up.

How do you see it ? as a minion group where the GM can add or pick the different aspects to change the profile slightly maybe gain an ability or skill etc.

Or a base minion profile with a rival or nemesis changeling that can have different properties to match the various flavor given in the cards ?

The feel for me on this creature is its not meant to be much of a martial challenge to PC more a nerve/horror intrigue kinda creature. Going to translate some of their abilities to mimic curses slightly and give them some fairly standard attacks.

For the changeling something that keeps the options open at the same time preserving the mystery around them- those not familiar with Terrinoth lore may use an alternative fantasy/folklore interpretation (or even link it to the fae as the traditional folklore would lend itself to so doing).

Folklore:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling

Dictionary defines as: a child believed to have been secretly substituted by fairies for the parents' real child in infancy. But in the worlds of Descent it's more of a substituted or transformed adult:

"Whether the changelings, as they are called, are demonic creatures that duplicate and replace innocent civilians, or those civilians are somehow transformed into these awful beings, is unknown."

I'd personally go for a slight modification ".....that duplicate and/or replace....." as that allows for the folklore variants that may not be an exact copy or lookalike

The generally idea to aim for is that of the potential for them to act as an impostor or substitute for a citizen or for that citizen to have changed into one but in both cases quite likely to be pretending to be a normal citizen with that citizen's prior roles and duties. Perhaps allowing the gm to decide the explanation rather than specifically defining it. You could give the roles as examples of how the entity might play out a subversive role pretending to be something it isn't, along with a couple of examples of the different folklore interpretations gm's may prefer to use- the 'cuckoo' creature pushing out the true offspring for example.

If you're going to reference the fairy link in folklore you may need a boxout that gm's may or may not see 'fairy' as the same as or linked to 'fae' in Terrinoth lore as here it is similarly something with its own twist in the games. This boxout could be useful- the idea would work quite nicely with a link to the fae, maybe it's the origin of fae creatures.

It's an entity where the three levels minion, rival and nemesis would be useful, as each tier would be harder to detect and better at usurping the citizen they take the place of.

Bringing the above together in conclusion perhaps make two entities: the changeling as per the game's take on it and a 'fairy child' for the folklore baby swap version, perhaps swapping fairy out in the name for a synonym in place of fairy so it's not confused with the fae. Some fairy synonyms that may suit (or suggest other creatures to make that don't quite fit this use such as leprechaun, I sense a 'magical folk' section brewing :) . )

sprite, pixie, imp, brownie, puck; kelpie; leprechaun, pishogue, Sidhe; tokoloshe; peri; rarenix, nixie, hob

'Pixie child' might be quite a good fit.

Edited by Watercolour Dragon

New version is up.

Added the changeling minion and a nemesis version as well. The minion has options to change the profile based on the cards from the decent game. I really want to create a one page adventure now where the PC need to unravel a hidden master changeling and his network of minions :)

Special thanks to @DerDelphi for giving me some updated artwork i updated the art alot of places now.

@Watercolour Dragon i kept the description of changeling being a demonic creature but i see your point in the Folklore version of changeling or skiftings but i like your idea of Magic folk but i dont know the terrinoth lore for it or should i just convert the standard range of fey creatures ? the description in ROT about fae and Dimorra seems like they are much more violent and magical creatures this kinda suggest a more dark fae but im not sure.

On 5/18/2019 at 3:31 PM, Archellus said:

@DerDelphi

@Watercolour Dragon i kept the description of changeling being a demonic creature but i see your point in the Folklore version of changeling or skiftings but i like your idea of Magic folk but i dont know the terrinoth lore for it or should i just convert the standard range of fey creatures ? the description in ROT about fae and Dimorra seems like they are much more violent and magical creatures this kinda suggest a more dark fae but im not sure.

I've got the fae as being a different thing to fairies- I see fairies as small, sweet looking things that are actually more powerful than their delicate appearance suggests due to their magic, so for me fairy would be the traditional folklore/ woodlandy magical folk type of fairy, whereas the fey would be a somewhat more sinister/mysterious entity linked to the powers behind and origins of the world they inhabit thus with a direct link to the 'original magics' of that world.

So for fae think twisted take on fairy!, for fairy the more delicate looking, more likely to be benign creatures.

You could make a third type of fairy creature under one of the suitable folklore names, the mischievous playful type more like the ones in Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream', that like to toy with humans and play with them/ deceive them for mere enjoyment, perhaps with a Loki-esque nemesis for when you might want such sport to be a little crueler with a master to serve.

Anything like pixies etc not in the Terrinoth lore could be interpreted anyway you wish based on the folklore.

Loki actually has a changeling aspect/shapeshift aspect so could partner quite well with using changelings :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loki

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
Adding the down lo (key)

I just found this. Thanks for doing this work! It's a great resource.

Wow, just fantastic work man! And I love a lot of those images! Where did you even get some of them? Thank you so, so much for this!

Added two more mounts as well (from Runewars). The birdlike lizard's name is legit, but I could not find an official name for Maegan's "mooseboar" mount.

On 7/3/2019 at 5:23 PM, IamGazrok said:

Did not know Centaurs was a thing in Terrinoth :)

Think ill make multiple versions of these but i went ahead with just a minion version of Ventala Skirmisher here is my suggestion. Ill add it later to the beastiary

uc?id=1Bk4lCm6MDSnlUzQHZdHAIvKWHOaufowS

Latest from my workbench document. Ill add it to the main document soon unless there are any comments. Allready had the Grub minion for some reason never did this one.

uc?id=19l-2nmFiGMNri7zKMDBFRkEbSWEtU8n3

Thanks again for your work on this! I've just added all your critters to my EverNote database (which is what I use while GMing). Is this the right place to give you feedback and suggestions? If so:

I wonder if the Ventala centaurs should be Rivals rather than Minions. Granted, I don't know the lore for Terrinoth in this case, but centaurs have always seemed like imposing threats to me in other RPGs. My own inclination would be to make them Rivals with a Wound Threshold similar to one of the horses in the Terrinoth book. They should probably be Silhouette 2, as well.

In Runewars, they are part of the Elven forces.

2 hours ago, SavageBob said:

Thanks again for your work on this! I've just added all your critters to my EverNote database (which is what I use while GMing). Is this the right place to give you feedback and suggestions? If so:

I wonder if the Ventala centaurs should be Rivals rather than Minions. Granted, I don't know the lore for Terrinoth in this case, but centaurs have always seemed like imposing threats to me in other RPGs. My own inclination would be to make them Rivals with a Wound Threshold similar to one of the horses in the Terrinoth book. They should probably be Silhouette 2, as well.

Any place is good for feedback :) (btw i use evernote to great program)

I made the Ventala minions since like Gazrok said they are forces. But i was planning to add a rival. Like and Elite hunter or something maybe a nemesis protector or druid like centaur. In the entry on FFG product page there is a reference to a Warden of Horn and Branch. but i have no idea if this is supposed to be an Elf or a specific centaur.

But ill write up and elite :)

This to boring ? most of the archery talents are rolled into the weapon profile.

uc?id=1A_iZkf23LX4MHmwWNv7D2w4BbtDW0Tq1

Looks pretty good to me. My only suggestion is to add a bit more to emphasize their horse side. Perhaps Encumbrance Capacity 12, Silhouette 2, and Hooves that do Brawl; Damage 5; Critical 4; Range [Engaged]; Knockdown. If you had to remove on weapon to make room for hooves, maybe the dagger could go.

Wouldent bother with encum on a npc 😀 sil 2 could be a fair argument wont change much. I can add hooves. The dagger is from the ffg product describtions Ventala are unyielding warriors in battle, using their short-range javelins and razor-sharp knives to strike down the enemies of the Aymhelin and defend their land.

In another entry it, said they use now to so i made this one with bow. Ill mix up hooves on both the minion and Rival 😀