My attempt at painting IA

By Utforskarn, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Great advice people! Very interesting technique for painting eyes, will definately try!

Ugh, the fact that your stormtroopers look that good compared with mine is making me super jealous. I was a total and complete newbie with 0 experience when I started work on my core set. (I'm about a year in and I've barely made a dent in my collection.) My first minis turned out horrible and for a long time it really discouraged me from doing more, so I didn't. Then I got bored and decided I should finally paint more minis. I still suck, but I think I'm getting there, mini by mini. I blame my horrible products on the fact that I can't get any dark washes where I live (Thailand), but deep down I know it's just lack of skill. My first stormtroopers look like someone vomited white and black paint on them. My second squad is even worse because I tried to make my own black wash 😅 . Thank goodness for paint remover.

11 hours ago, GuillotineTE said:

Ugh, the fact that your stormtroopers look that good compared with mine is making me super jealous. I was a total and complete newbie with 0 experience when I started work on my core set. (I'm about a year in and I've barely made a dent in my collection.) My first minis turned out horrible and for a long time it really discouraged me from doing more, so I didn't. Then I got bored and decided I should finally paint more minis. I still suck, but I think I'm getting there, mini by mini. I blame my horrible products on the fact that I can't get any dark washes where I live (Thailand), but deep down I know it's just lack of skill. My first stormtroopers look like someone vomited white and black paint on them. My second squad is even worse because I tried to make my own black wash 😅 . Thank goodness for paint remover.

First of all, thank you! :)

second, do you have any pictures of your work? I would love to see them.

Your painting results are really neat - especially for someone new to painting miniatures. You got all the basics covered. I'd strongly encourage you to keep it up, because as with all skills, practice and experience is the path to excellence. 👍

3 hours ago, Fourtytwo said:

Your painting results are really neat - especially for someone new to painting miniatures. You got all the basics covered. I'd strongly encourage you to keep it up, because as with all skills, practice and experience is the path to excellence. 👍

Thanks buddy! ;)

I sure will!

On 2/14/2019 at 1:03 PM, Utforskarn said:

First of all, thank you! :)

second, do you have  any pictures of your work? I would love to see them.

I’ll make a separate topic with pictures so everyone can see has bad they are 😂 .

Finally completed captain Terro and the dewback rider!

Progress have been very slow lately, but that's life with a one year old kid who doesn't like to sleep when he should ;)

I'm kind of pleased with the results and it was fun to try more wetblending. Next mini will be the rancor because of that very reason.

I'm still having a hard time photographing and this time I asked my wife to help me take some pictures with a real camera. Does anyone have any good advice how to get everything in focus and not get too much light or too little in the pictures?

rq5kiUs.jpg

Y4AJRbk.jpg

hjqdvyR.jpg

3ba5LEo.jpg

Something about the eyes just works so well! Great job.

Could I ask how you went about the leather straps?

44 minutes ago, Gerontius said:

Something about the eyes just works so well! Great job.

Could I ask how you went about the leather straps?

Thank you! I’m very happy with the eyes so I’m glad you like them.

And the easy answer to your question is that I followed sorastros tutorial and watching that will probably explain the process better than I ever can.

But I will try :) after basecoloring I painted small scratchmarks and lines very carefully with a lighter color. Then one layer of seraphim sepia wash. And then more small scratches and lines with an even lighter tone. Then another layer of wash. And finally a couple more small, thin lines in the lightest tone.

Hope my explanation helps, but it’s all explained by @Sorastro a lot better in his video.

30 minutes ago, Utforskarn said:

And the easy answer to your question is that I followed sorastros tutorial and watching that will probably explain the process better than I ever can.

But I will try :) after basecoloring I painted small scratchmarks and lines very carefully with a lighter color. Then one layer of seraphim sepia wash. And then more small scratches and lines with an even lighter tone. Then another layer of wash. And finally a couple more small, thin lines in the lightest tone.

Cool. I guess that's one of the few Sorastro tutorials I haven't watched then. It's a striking effect; I'll have to find a place to use it!

I agree. It is a good looking effect and it was easy to do. Win-win!

Next up, the rancor!

It was a great mini to paint. Very nice model and also fun to paint something this big that wasn't an AT-ST.

Got to try out green stuff a little bit for the first time which was more difficult than I thought.

And just as with Jabba and Terro, wetblending is so much fun!

Still trying to learn how to take proper pictures.. any helpful tips or pointers are much appreciated.

HT1k0kS.jpg

H8AwYqo.jpg

TLQjuAe.jpg

tAEBanS.jpg

Edited by Utforskarn

Fantastic work!

Great brush work on the miniatures. I'm not very consistent and I go back and forth between using paint that isn't thinned enough and paint that is too watery. Do you use any mediums?

Clear bases are a must for IA. Though I'm surprised you didn't play around with different paint schemes. How do you distinguish between deployment groups?

18 hours ago, Armandhammer said:

Fantastic work!

Thank you very much, kind sir ;)

19 hours ago, Armandhammer said:

Great brush work on the miniatures. I'm not very consistent and I go back and forth between using paint that isn't thinned enough and paint that is too watery. Do you use any mediums?

No I mostly mix the paints with just plain old water. Sometimes I dilute a wash or a glaze with some lahmian medium but that’s it.

19 hours ago, Armandhammer said:

Clear bases are a must for IA. Though I'm surprised you didn't play around with different paint schemes. How do you distinguish between deployment groups?

I agree. I like clear bases so I can see the beautiful artwork on the tiles better.

Some of the minis are actually already differenciated by smaller or bigger variations. For example one Nexu has stripes and one doesn’t. The trandoshans have different clothes. The officers have different haircolors and chestmarkings. Also the elite officer ”wears” black gloves.

At first I was hoping to avoid painting any marks or such on the bases themselves but after my first game I quickly changed my mind. It was too much of a hassle to keep track of which stormtrooper belonged to what group etc, so I painted small stripes on the edge of the bases for the minis that needed it. Red for elite obviously and blue for the second group of stormies and so on.

Some progress!

Individual pics coming as soon as I can get the camera to cooperate ;)

KdVyuRx.jpg

There we go. Had a difficult time photographing these, but it turned out ok in the end I think.

I'm happy with most of them, but jedi Luke looks like crap. Especially up close on a photo.

Usms8aV.jpg

eWUBjAZ.jpg

HFh5WcI.jpg

PTrtyPB.jpg

VFcE2Z5.jpg

Great stuff. Especially the armor plating on Shyla is really good.

Thank you, Aermet!

Time for an update.

I have now painted almost all of the Jabbas realm-minis.

I tried painting these a bit faster than what I usually do. In part because I wanted to practise painting faster and not get stuck in the smallest details and in part because I just wanted to be done with painting the game and actually start playing it. Very excited to start the campaign soon!

I'm mostly happy with how they turned out, even though I know there's much room for improvement :)

XwWp5UK.jpg

IZv9qwx.jpg

HrMIhCT.jpg

Very nice! Especially the skin on the Gamorrean face.

Where did you get the clear stands for the jet troopers? Those look pretty nice.

But yeah, top notch on these minis. Group differentiation really stands out with the Weequay, very legible!

Thanks guys! 😊

9 hours ago, Etheneus said:

Very nice! Especially the skin on the Gamorrean face.

The skin and faces are wetblended, I think it looks quite good too, so thank you ;)

5 hours ago, thinkbomb said:

Where did you get the clear stands for the jet troopers? Those look pretty nice.

I superglued the clear acrylic rods included in the box to some of the clear bases I use for all the other minis. I wasn’t sure it would work at first but wanted to try anyway and it did!

Another example of why I'd never post my own on here 😁 . They pale in comparison to these amazing works. The skin on the guard looks so amazing!

15 hours ago, combusticator said:

Another example of why I'd never post my own on here 😁 . They pale in comparison to these amazing works. The skin on the guard looks so amazing!

Thank you for those kind words, combusticator :)

It’s very encouraging to read stuff like that. I feel like they look ok but nowhere near as good as some of the minis people are posting here. But I’m still glad I posted my work because of comments like yours and perhaps most of all to get some tips and help from more experienced painters. It helps a lot! I think you should totaly post some pics of your work as well for those reasons and I would love to see it :)

mmmmm those leather Shoulder pads on the weequay. Breathtaking