The Circuit (IC)

By Rabobankrider, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Cormil takes a deep breath and leans quietly against the wall. He wracks his brain for a name he could drop, or something to give Zara an edge... Think think think. Who are these guys afraid of?

Sonnray examines the speeder, impressed. "Excellent work! Tell me, are you and your racer currently working independently?"

" Yes we are working independently we don't have a sponsor, we are trying to get some fame by winning some lower bracket races to maybe get some notice." He says moving over to start working on Lei Mei's bike the purpose he had gone down to his shop in the first place. " So Lei, what was the problem again?"

57 minutes ago, Shlambate said:

" Yes we are working independently we don't have a sponsor, we are trying to get some fame by winning some lower bracket races to maybe get some notice." He says moving over to start working on Lei Mei's bike the purpose he had gone down to his shop in the first place. " So Lei, what was the problem again?"

“Navigation,” she replies, leaning over him, her ample bosom pressing into his back. “ I must have jarred something out of wack or something.”

" Alright, Navigation shouldn't be too hard." Krydil says as he brings his toolbox to be next to the bike. " I should have it up and running soon enough."

"You really haven't heard about this guy yet? I'm surprised, 'cause he was spoutin' off all kinds of karktalk about you guys. Braggin' 'bout how his crew of Reds were going to make you.. law-abiding citizens sing the blues."

The lie drops easily from Zara's lips, but she's not sure they're buying it. Rough crowd... A little investigation would show it for the malarkey it was, but these gangs weren't known for digging too deeply, especially when their pride has been prickled.

Unfortunately... one of the Blues has an idea who this red speeder guy is, and he's having none of it. He laughs outright at Zara's suggestion, but there is no hilarity in his expression.

"Look.. All I know is what I heard.. maybe he was just tryin' to impress that girl he was with..." Nope. Time to go. "Anyways.. gottago-fun-chat." Zara quickly exits, prepared to make a dash for her swoop. This is not a fight she can win.

Avg Deception w/boost : 3eA+1eB+2eD 1 failure, 4 advantage

a-s.png a--.png a-a-a.png b-a-a.png d-f-f.png d--.png (Advantage to help beat a hasty retreat?)
Edited by Edgehawk
Deception check

Sonnray examines the repairs made to his speeder, impressed at the expediency with which they were carried out. He eyes Krydil, watching him as he repairs the neighboring vehicle.

As the group watch Krydil work, they begin to hear the general hubbub of the street outside pick up as the morning progresses. The speeders begun to rush down the street and the sound of people shouting and going about their business can clearly be heard.

As the work is beginning to finish up on the speeder, a different set of footsteps can be heard as another person walks into the garage. Anyone turning around would see a elderly man, portly and balding with a couple of datapads tucked under his arm. He wears an old style threadbare jacket with a variety of racing badges sown on the front and arms.

This was Tensit, a racing promotor who helped set up races for a number of local events, and brought racers in to take part. "Are you fellows busy?" he would ask as he starts towards the group.

"Ah, well.. Not sure what I expected. Maybe we could come back, check out the yard after dark?" Zara is not sure what Cormil is up for, but she knows he wants his swoop back! "Let's head back to the shop for now, see what the others think. Might need to bring them in on this."

3 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

"Ah, well.. Not sure what I expected. Maybe we could come back, check out the yard after dark?" Zara is not sure what Cormil is up for, but she knows he wants his swoop back! "Let's head back to the shop for now, see what the others think. Might need to bring them in on this."

Cormil nods, "That's probably for the best."

Just finished repairing this bike.” Krydil would approach Tensit. “ What can I do you for.” He says as he picks up a rag and cleans his hands of grease, once satisfied Krydil extends his right hand offering a handshake.

The portly man would approach with a slight wheeze as he goes. He holds out one of the datapads to the mechanic as scrolls of data move over the screen. "I'm not sure who ordered it, but this is the race calendar for this year". The race calendar was something like a religious text to the amateur races. Almost every official race was on this datapad, not just for corellia, but every planet in the system. Circuit racers, cross country, long distance, drag, even the more violent derby matches, it was all in here. It would allow the racers to plan their season, focus on different disciplines; and with a little luck and a lot of skill, break into the professional bracket. If they could do that, they stood a chance to the most prestigious racing contest in the galaxy, the Thee Crown Cup. A good position in this contest could guarantee a prosperous career for years.

"You lot looking to race this year? I don't remember your team placing very well last season".

13 minutes ago, Rabobankrider said:

The portly man would approach with a slight wheeze as he goes. He holds out one of the datapads to the mechanic as scrolls of data move over the screen. "I'm not sure who ordered it, but this is the race calendar for this year". The race calendar was something like a religious text to the amateur races. Almost every official race was on this datapad, not just for corellia, but every planet in the system. Circuit racers, cross country, long distance, drag, even the more violent derby matches, it was all in here. It would allow the racers to plan their season, focus on different disciplines; and with a little luck and a lot of skill, break into the professional bracket. If they could do that, they stood a chance to the most prestigious racing contest in the galaxy, the Thee Crown Cup. A good position in this contest could guarantee a prosperous career for years.

"You lot looking to race this year? I don't remember your team placing very well last season".

"EEEEEEEEEEE!!!" Lei Mie squeals with delight as she skips over to the group and looks over the top of the datapad. "Lemme see, lemme see, lemme see."

Edited by Tramp Graphics

The man winces at the squealing noise as he hurriedly passes the pad to Krydill before backing away. "Look, I shan't hang about, I've got a few other would be teams to deliver to today. Just be sure to check the section for next week. You've got a few races there to choose from". As he heads for the door of the workshop he would raise a hand to wave to those present. "Good luck fella's!"

Thanks, I’ll be sure to have the racers look at them.” Krydil says as he hands the pad to Lei Mei to look through. “ I know Zara will want a look when she gets back so don’t lose that.”

Zara can't help but cringe and nearly turns about herself, at the shrill squeeing coming from inside the shop. As the door opens, she catches the tail end of the exchange within. "Oh.. Tensit, right? Next week, huh? Thanks- I'll check it out. Make your escape while she's still distracted."

Heading inside, she goes to explore their upcoming opportunities. "No cubes on the swoop... Oh, Hey." Noticing Sonnray and Dilhun, Zara can only hope they aren't complete jackholes like the last guy she'd encountered with a sweet looking speeder.

" Hey Zara, how was the morning errand?" Krydil says slapping her square on the back as soon as he noticed her, " We got the racing list for this year, lets make it a good one I feel like we can make it this year, into the big leagues for sure." He says a smile on his face he then looks to where her eyes were looking landing on Sonnray and Dilhun. "Those two are new clients, paid rather handsomely and they seem to be interested in your racing."

Edited by Shlambate

"Hey kid" the old man would say as he passes by, patting Zara on shoulder. "I won't keep you, good luck with the races this season. Just so you know, the entry fees for the official courses". He would shrug apologetically. "That's just the way it goes I suppose, anyway, good luck!"

As Zara and Cormill make their way into the garage and chat with Krydil, Dilhun raises an eyebrow as he listens to them. "This year? What happened last year?" he would quiz. If his employer was looking to hire their people, it would serve him well to know as much about them as he could.

As the team crowd around the green screen of the datapad, they can see the scroll of races for the system passing them by. There must be hundreds of them, two many for them to do. They would have to choose their races carefully. The race system started soon, not much more than a few days. Organising travel to the races further away on Corellia, they would have to make do with the local events, for now. There were a few options, but several stood out among the others.

The first was probably the most popular event, a circuit race on the cities indoors race circuit. A huge oval often populated by obstacles and surrounded by cheering crowds and hover platforms above for the elite. This race attracted the most ambitious racers, and saw the best promotion of all the options. The drawbacks were clear as well though. The buy in was by far the most expensive, last year each racer was charged 1,500 credits for entry. Not only that but the competition was ferocious. Circuit races were focused on speed and iron wiil with racers jostling for narrow gaps between the obstacles.

The second was a little way out of the city, up in one of the forested areas. This was a down hill race, instead of a loop, this was from point a to b, often down the slope of mountain or steep forest. These races were usually seen to be the 'coolest' due to the kind of racers and the skills involved. It may have a smaller gathering than the others, but was still a strong sector of the racing community. Down hill races were some of the most technical, requiring an agile speeder and lightning reflexes. They also had some of the most spectacular crashes.

The third race was a long distance race, spanning approximately two days. This was quite an interesting race format, as it combined the traditional need for speed from a standard race, but also could push a rider to their mental and physical limits. They would have to balance things like rests, refuelling, sleep, maintenance and so on with the actual time riding. Racers usually had a put crew who would use short cuts to meet them at certain points along the race course to help out if there were mechanical issues and such. These races had a much smaller following, but was a rapidly growing competition on Corellia, especially considering the fantastic racing terrain hat surrounded them.

The final event wasn't exactly a race, but more of a battle derby. Set in one of the racing 'pits' in the rougher parts of the city where teams of two would battle it out to try and immobilise the other competitors. Be it with stun weapons or ramming, only one team came out victorious. This was something of a dead end competition, it didn't lead much higher than the individual battle, but for many, it was a lot of fun and it paid well. Sometimes that is enough.

"Last year..?" Zara casts a quizzical look at the prying client, but sees no harm in telling the truth; and for some reason he seems genuinely interested.

"Ran into some difficulties, and couldn't afford the entry fees. We sometimes pool our creds, but even so... the registration costs for the Circuit were too steep. I placed well in my first official downhill, but the Circuit is what all the sponsors look at."

Zara strides toward the Kyuzo and extends a hand. "I'm Zara. So you have an interest in racing?"

When she mentions the downhill Krydil shakes abit, "G ood thing you did well too Zara, repairing a bike after one of those crashes can be expensive, or even total them, I got chills with every crash that I saw when you competed last year, I say we only go to this one if a recruiter will be there." He then looks over to Sonnray and points to him " Zara, Sonnray is the one interested as he's the gentleman with all the money." Krydil says putting a hand on Zara's shoulder, " Yes we don't make much money so years past have been difficult to compete in. It's what prevents most talented upstarts really the entrance fees to the important races." Krydil gives a big grin.

Edited by Shlambate

Zara hears Krydil out, then turns back to the Kyuzo. "That so? Your boss is lookin' to sponsor a team?"

Dilhun would bristle a bit, unused to being addressed directly when he was on duty. His mind freezes for a moment, and after a moment he manages a response. "Well, that is for Mr Sonnray to decide".

"Alright, fair enough.. thanks." Sticking with the same direct approach, Zara strides over to the man himself. "Hi, I'm Zara." (Extends a hand). "Hear you're looking for some racers? Color me intrigued..."

Sonnray eagerly rubs his hands together, offering one to Zara. "Why, yes! My name is Sonnray Crokem. I consider myself to be a man of the finest tastes, and I hear that this is a place where such an appetite as mine can be well-satisfied. As it happens, my current craving is for the highest quality of talent on the racetrack. Do you believe yourself capable of servicing these needs? I believe we could come to an arrangement that we could all benefit from."

"I can bring the talent to the track. Just won a small purse last night, though it's not a race you'll see on the holos." Zara motions to the others. "My friends here can ride, too.. well, Krydil here is hopeless, but he makes up for it with what he can do under the hood. Speaking for myself at least, if you can get me into the Circuit, you won't be sorry."