The Circuit (IC)

By Rabobankrider, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

It was the first thing that came to mind!!” He says as he brushes the shoulder where he was punched then looks to CorSec Speeder he could see in the distance. “ Anyway, I sabotaged their speeder we should have a head start on them, good enough to get out of here if we don’t waste time! Let’s move!!”

It had been a couple of weeks since the 'incident' with the stolen speeder, and things had not been going well for the team. The others had quickly left afterwards for fear of repercussions from corsec, leaving only Zara and Krydil. Alone they had been forced to run both their fledgling team and the mechanics workshop alone. Bills were piling up, and there simply wasn't time to manage a race team and a business alone. The first races of the season were only a few days away, and credits still needed to be raised for entrance fees. At this rate this would be another lost season, without help at any rate.

Varik wakes up, then groans quietly. It's still dark outside. He glances at the chrono and groans again. Too early. Oh well. He extricates his limbs from the sheets and gets out of bed, careful to not disturb Cally. He stretches his arms and cracks his back. You're too excited, Rik. Too excited. He quietly changes clothes, then sneaks through the bedroom door and walks towards the caf distiller, smiling to himself. Yes, today's gonna be a good day. As he makes his breakfast, he finds a note, written on a sheet of flimsy and stuck to the fridge. "Rik, I know you'll be up first. Never could sleep when you were excited, could you? I prepped your lunch last night. I put it by your tools, don't forget it. -Cally"

After wolfing down his breakfast, he turns on the computer Cally uses for her graphic design business, looking up the latest headlines in the racing world, grinning even wider to himself as he thinks, A world I'm about to be a part of... He takes a sip of his caf as he clicks on an article about Buster "Flash" Dorgon, his favorite racer. He checks his inbox, furrowing his brow as he sees the message from Kaleko, the Chagrian lead singer, asking about a new location for the band. None of the others had a good location, and Varik's old job was just that: his old job. They'd been nice to let him use the garage for the band, and he wasn't sure this new outfit would be so generous.

He turns off the computer and goes over to the closet, digging his tools out from the junk. This definitely ain't a perm'nent arrangement. he thought to himself as he picked up Dela's coat, putting it on the hangar correctly. He smiles, She never could get that right. He slips on the harness, hooking some of the bigger tools into it as he bends down to pick up his tool kit and lunch box. He facepalms with one of his free arms and groans, setting the lunch box on the counter and the tool box on the floor, then taking off the harness and the other tools. He sneaks back into the bedroom and retrieves his blast knuckles from their secure location and gets his music player and earphones from the beside table, still moving as stealthily as possible. He puts back on the harness, picks up his tools and wonders if he is really going to be able to carry all this stuff. He steps out the door, locks it behind him, takes five steps down the flight of stairs, turns around, and goes back to retrieve his lunch box. Before leaving, he takes a moment to write a note on a piece of flimsy, leaving it on the counter for his family to find.

He walks down the street in the early dawn, keeping his head down and trying to be as inconspicuous as possible. Well, as much as possible for a 6'4 Besalisk. Last thing he wanted was to get mugged on the way to his first day of work.

A while later, he finally finds himself approaching the garage. Not many people are moving about yet, but he heads to the designated garage, disappointed no one is there yet. He sits down next to it to wait for someone to show up. While he waits, he mentally runs through what he knows about the team and checks over his tools, cleaning them and making sure they're ready to rock. The team recently got gutted, down to jus' a single racer and a grease monkey. They were looking to expand and hired me, and a couple others, I'd guess. My old job is still holding onto my special project for me, I'll have to bring it over in a day or two. The racer was... Zara Thruster-no, Thrustra? No, Thurs- Thustra! That's it. Zara Thustra. And Krydil Nyy. I've heard a couple good things about him. He turns on his music, "Vode be Beskar" pounding in his ears as he nods along, glancing up from his tools every so often to scan the very few people moving through for the guy who hired him. In the back of his mind, he wonders a bit whether he made the right choice. I had a good job, I'd had it for a long time. Should I really've dropped it all to chase the dream of being part of the racing business? Cally was supportive, but I could tell she wasn't entirely sold on the idea. I'll have to be careful to make this worth it.

When someone finally approaches the garage, he stands up, pausing "Force Forsaken" and removing the earphones with a couple hands while extending his meaty upper right right to shake the newcomer's hand, grinning broadly, "I'm Varik Rourke, the new mechanic, but my friends call me Rik."

The air whipped through Yoomnuff's fur like a person desperately trying to grasp a ledge after a fall. He was in the zone, the background scenery was a mess of colours and sounds with his only focus at the moment being the finish line ahead of him and the racers left behind. Things were looking good for the Gigorian until a sudden blast of music sent him hurtling from bike.

Yoomnuff woke up, flailing as he inadvertently tossed his chrono-radio across the room and smashing it to the floor. After calming down, Yoomnuff sighed as he hopped out of bed and went to clean up the broken remains of his time keeper. This wasn't the first time he'd broken the machine and it likely wouldn't be the last but at the moment Yoomnuff had bigger fish to fry as he began to get ready for the day. In his time as a free man Yoomnuff had managed to buy a used 88-R Nightscreamer which, while host to a few mechanical problems, was fast enough to scratch his need for speed. He'd done a few illegal races with the thing, nothing bad enough to get caught but just to get a feel for the machine, and Yoomnuff quickly decided he wanted, no, needed to enter the official Corellian races. However, those racers have teams to help them and Yoomnuff knew he didn't have the skills to supplement a team. After looking around a bit he found an offer from a garage on the mend, looking for more talent in order to join the races, a talent that Yoomnuff was more than willing to provide.

The burly primate finished getting dressed up in his gear before going to his mirror to practice introductions. " The name's Yoomnuff, good to meet you." he said in his Gigorian native language before putting on his voice modulator before trying it again "Greetings! I am Yoomnuff, pleasure to make your acquaintance!" the machine chirped, much to the chagrin of its wearer.

With nothing left to prepare, Yoomnuff left his cramped home and headed out to the street below, thankful that his ride hadn't been stolen in the night. The Gigorian hopped on his Nightscreamer and took off for the garage, making a quick stop at a local food kiosk to pick up some grub.

Upon pulling up, Yoomnuff noticed a Besalisk sitting out front who got up to meet him. Yoomnuff was glad he wasn't going to tower over everyone on the team. As the Besalisk offered his hand, Yoomnuff brought him into a quick hug "Salutaions Rik! I am Yoomnuff, pleasure to make your acquaintance!" the voice modulator spouted as the Gigorian let him out of the hug.

The Besalisk is likewise relieved to not be the only bruiser on the team, but also somewhat... confused? by the Gigoran's mannerisms. As Yoomnuff lets him out of the hug, he nods, "Err, charmed. Are you new here too? Racer?" He glances around Yoomnuff's massive frame and sizes up the swoop, "R-88 Nightscreamer, nice... Any mods or custom jobs on it? How's it run?" he asks enthusiastically. He strokes his chin with one hand, "If I remember right, that was the preferred bike of Chalban Irris. Nasty crash that one." he shakes his head at the memory.

Yoomnuff stepped out of Varik's view of his ride, giving the Besalisk a better look at the machine. "It operates splendidly though I would like to procure some modifications to increase its speed." Yoomnuff explained looking on at the machine, imagining all the races he'll (hopefully) win riding the beast. "Oh! And yes I am a racer, a new one at that leading to my general ignorance as to who Chalban Irris." the Gigorian replied, giddy at the thought of being able to officially call himself a racer.

Edited by rocketrobie2

"I'll givita look-see, see what I can do..." He mumbles to himself briefly about mod packages, and tweaks he might be able to make. "As for Chalban Irris? Chalban Irris was an Umbraran racer. You know, the shadow people. Nasty temper. Tried to ram an opponent, causing a five-bike crash that killed another racer and paralyzed him. He got cybernetics, but never recovered on the racing circuit. Too unpopular. Been a couple years, so it's not too surprising you 'aven't heard about him. M'self, I know lotsa trivia 'bout the races. Hobby since I was only this high." He grins, gesturing with the lower arm the approximate height of a 7 year-old Varik.

Yes, I know it's Umbaran, but Varik doesn't. I'll be misspelling names and such from time to time.

Krydil woke up this morning a bit earlier than usual, the new racer, mechanic and agent they, he and Zara had looked into hiring for their team were arriving today. Since it was so early he prepared an extra strong bit of Caf for himself, and another for Zara who shares the Flat with him above the Garage they work at. “ Wake up Sleepyhead, We’ve got a crowd outside, Already.” The Cerean said as he looked down to see Varik and Yoonmuff talking outside the closed door of their garage. Entering Zara’s room with the Caf he shakes his head, “ I know you like your Beauty sleep but we’ve got guests. ” He said mockingly to his long time friend as he is placed the Caf on the bedside table.

Edited by Shlambate

Zara awakens at the sound of Krydil’s voice and the aroma of caf. The racer evinces none of her natural agility as she gracelessly exits the utilitarian rack she calls a bed- it came with the place, looks like it was left from an old freighter. An incongruously lush comforter lies disheveled in her wake, partially uncovering another woman still lying there asleep.

Zipping herself into a yellow racing undersuit, she straps on her dueling pistol. Zara is still on edge from their recent gang encounters, not to mention their neighborhood in general. She is no gunfighter, and has little use for affairs of honor, but carrying such a piece sends a message: No stun setting.

Her dark shoulder-length hair looks like a pair of banshee birds had been fighting in it all night. “Thanks, Kry.” She takes a sip, and makes a face. “Winter is over, maybe you could ease up on the viscosity a bit?”

She makes her way down to the shop floor, heads to the entrance, and proceeds to disengage the various archaic locks and latches that keep the thieves at bay.

“Morning.” Zara squints, taking in the newcomers. The racer and the grease monkey.. of course the man with the plan isn’t here this early. “Come on in. Caf? Breakfast beer? I’m Zara.”

Edited by Edgehawk

Krydil heads down alongside Zara to greet their new partners in their racing endeavors, As Zara introduces herself he looks the two newcomers up and down both slightly Taller than him impressive as he already Stood at 6'2", " The name is Krydil, Best Mechanic this Side of Cerea!" He said extending his hand to Shake with Varik and Yoonmuff, he then looks to Zara, " Ain't it a little early to crack open some beer?"

Varik grins as he gives Krydil's hand a solid shake, "Glad to meet you, I'm Varik, though I guess y'allready knew that, but you can call me Rik. And I'm going to give you a run for that title." He says, winking at the Cerean, and then stepping aside to be out of the way of Yoomnuff's greeting.

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt

As if on cue, Yoomnuff brought Krydil into a hug as the Cerean offered his hand. Letting go, Yoomnuff was beginning to come to the realization that perhaps a hug was too informal given the situations but it was taking the better part of his willpower to keep himself as composed as he was. "Salutations! I am Yoomnuff. It's a pleasure to meet you two. As for your offer of refreshments, I would be ever so grateful for an early morning beer." Yoomnuff said to Zara, looking curiously at the inside of the garage from the outside.

A bit surprised at the Hug but not taking any offense to the gesture Krydil simply acts as if everything was normal, "Well you two might as well come inside, we are waiting on one more but I am sure he will get here soon enough." Krydil said then got out of the door way so that Varik and Yoonmuff could enter, when the group Enters they can see two Vehicles currently in the Garage, Zara's Bike and Krydil's transport truck. The Bike was having it's Oil Drained as Krydil was running Maintenance on it.

Noting the in-progress work, Varik nudges Krydil, "Mind'f I give you a hand? Familiarize myself with the swoop?"

I would ask Zara that question, it is her bike.” He said gesturing to her “ I see no problems with it if she’s fine with it.”

Varik turns to Zara, "Well? May I?" Clearly barely able to restrain his excitement. "I haven't done much hands-on work with racing swoops yet , but I've reviewed the schematics of many models inside and out, and I have about a decade of practical experience with other sorts of vehicles."

“Sure, go nuts.”

Making his way in, Yoomnuff marvelled at the garage. It wasn't anything fancy but it was perfect for the gigorian. His eyes were lit up with curiosity but he focused onto the looming question of funding their crew. "How are we looking for funds? I know it must take quite a few credits to keep a whole team afloat." Yoomnuff asked a little sheepishly. He didn't want to be rude but he didn't want to be in the dark if the team was in a bad position.

Zara hands her hirsute guest his promised breakfast brew. “Here. Bespin’s Best, if that answers your question.” She shrugs in apology, cracking open her own. “Sorry, it’s all we’ve got. Times are tough.”

Krydil shoots her a look and she winks back. “What? We’re in training. I need something to chase that sludge you poured from the drain pan. You just mind the engines.”

Edited by Edgehawk

Darren rolled over and looked at his chrono. Shoot, I'm gonna be late. He quickly got out of bed and started getting ready. Walking out of his room he sees his dad, in the kitchen, making breakfast. Looking over his soldier his dad greets him. "Good morning son! Like some breakfast?" His dad had always been a early bird, and he had been the opposite. "I have to head over to meet the racing team. I'm late as it is." He replied. "Well, hope it all works out!" His dad said as he used the cafe machine. "Thanks! I'll see you later." He Said as he grabbed his coat and headed out the door. He had stayed up late last night just thinking, and he knew he probably wasn't the only one, especially whoever was the racer. He cranked up his speeder and sped as fast as he could to get there. He pulled over by the garage and walked in. "I apologize for being a little late. I stayed up late last night." He said as he looked around the garage.

Edited by jhh3

I like strong Caf, what can I say. As for the Bespin’s Best weren’t you complaining when you first saw it in our fridge?” Krydil takes a swig of his mug of Caf and smirks at Zara, as the door to the Garage opens revealing the Agent. “ Looks like everyone is here, I’m Krydil.” He pushes the cart with his Tools over towards Varik so he could have a go at doing maintenance on Zara’s Bike, and then with it out of the way makes his way to the new Human in the room and extends his hand.” You must be the guy who knows all the best sponsors to sign up with and how to impress them.” Krydil smiles as he waits for the handshake to be returned.

“You must be Darren.” Zara strides across the shop floor to shake his hand. “I’m Zara. I’m the talent, in the saddle at least. Fluffy here is also very enthusiastic, ready to race. Brace for the hug.”

He was glad that Zara was honest with him, that was enough to let him know he'd made the right choice of joining the team. Honesty was a rare grace in the galaxy at the moment so Yoomnuff was more the appreciative; of the honesty and the Bespin, which lead him to promptly remove his voice modulator and take a swig just as Darren arrived.

"Aye! Glad you could make it at least! That's about the be-" Yoomnuff began as he realized his voice modulator was off, leading to him beginning his greeting in his native tongue. He quickly placed his modulator back on and proceeded to approach Darren and pull him into a hug. "Greetings Darren! Do not worry about the tardiness, we are just happy you arrived!" Yoomnuff said as he let go of the hug.

“Krydil’s not going to like it, but the downhill races are the fastest way to win some creds, fund bigger and better things.” If you don’t wipe out...

“I have experience racing in the mountains- it’s where I first learned to fly. I can do this.” Zara’s confidence here seems unfeigned, as is her excitement at the prospect of racing this season.

”If we’re going to register as a team, we’ll need a name.”

Varik looks up from the bike and raises his voice so the others can hear him (even though it may not really be necessary, his voice carries pretty well as-is), "I'm no good at naming things, but we'll need a logo, or flag. Maybe a unified paint scheme for the swoops, at least on part of them." He says the last bit somewhat defensively, in case the racers are touchy about their bikes' appearance. "My wife, Cally, is a graphic designer. Once we get a name, you want I should get her on it?" He grins, "And as proof I can't name things, the first idea that popped into my head was the fluffy thrusters." He shrugs somewhat sheepishly, "Like I said, I ain't good at naming things."