The Circuit (IC)

By Rabobankrider, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Krydil turns on his communicator so that the group back at the top of the hill can hear what's going on, then he Cracks his knuckles. " We don't want any trouble, but I am not about to let you bully me and Zara off the track." He steps forward between Zara and the two groups of approaching thugs, " The way I see it, It's 2 v 5. It's completely unfair..." He grins and slides on his brass knuckles and Corellian Boxing League Ring. " You all are completely outmatched. Stand Back now and no one gets hurt."

Edited by Shlambate

At the sound of the pistol cocking, it seems that two of the thugs lose their nerve facing off against the weapon. Glancing at one another, two of the attackers turn and begin to scramble back up the hill, slipping over tree roots and through the dirt as they go. "Oi, oi! Where are you going?" the leader shouts, but his cries of frustration go unheeded. Turning back to the pair with an ugly snarl, he glances at the remaining men he has with him. "You got a real big mouth, cerean. For someone with a lot to lose you shouldn't talk so much!"

Zara can talk the talk, but really has no great desire to kill anyone before the race today. Shifting her aim, she fires above the one doing all the yapping, bringing a rather largish branch crashing down on him, and between them.

”Race ya!” Zara takes off, trusting in her her own sheer athleticism to see her clear; she is somewhat more skeptical of her friend’s abilities, however. Not sure I’ve ever seen him run, actually... “Kry, c’mon, not worth it!”

"Go get the others I'll Deal with these Bozos." Krydil says then throws a punch except it misses as the three goons are caught under a tree branch. " Did not see that one coming..." He looked up to the broken tree impressed at the shot Zara made, he then aims once more for a punch against the goons. Hitting hard enough to knock out some teeth. " One last chance to Run with your Dignity." krydil said not noticing Zara had run.

"Argh! Me frigging teeth" The blonde haired figure cries out as he struggles under the tree branch that just fell on him and the others. "Come on! Who fights like this? Get this thing off of me!" The three remaining thugs kick and struggle as the sizeable branch traps them in a tangled mess. However thanks to the confusion that Zara has caused, they are unable to shift the branch off of them properly.

Thugs Athletics Check : 3eA+2eD 0 successes, 1 advantage

a--.png a-a.png a-a.png d-th.png d--.png Fails to move tree branch, add boost to next check.

People who don’t walk willingly into a trap.” Krydil says and picks up the blond man who’s teeth he punched out, he hits him hard in the face breaking his nose and Knocking him out. “ Who else wants to lose some teeth.”

Zara is determined not to waste any energy on this nonsense before the race. She continues on her way up the wooded hillside, alert for further shenanigans, with an occasional glance back at Krydil. He seems to be holding his own, but that could just be because she’d dropped a tree on the ruffians. I’ll wait here, keep an eye on things, just in case he gets into trouble. More trouble.

(Zara makes one move maneuver away from the conflict, and stops, waiting for Krydil to finish fighting. Also, keeping her eyes and ears open for further threats).

Thoroughly stunned by the loss of their leader and the ferociousness of the cerean's attacks, the remaining thugs can o little more than flail as the tree branch keeps them pinned. The tables have turned so spectacularly on the attackers that there is little else that they can do.

Back at the top of the hill, oblivious to the ongoing skirmish. The teams continue to set up. The team manager has moved over to sign the team up for the race. This left the remaining two team mates to unload the bikes and prepare for the race. As the pair work, they hear talking near by, rapidly approaching.

"And as the season for corellia's downhill racing begins, there have been a number of changes to the field. With no less than three retirements and two of the more popular racers currently facing a ban, this has really opened up the field for the next generation or racers".

Turning, they would see a young woman dressed in a heavy duty coat and boots walking backwards as a recording probe follows behind at a steady pace. Behind that was a couple of others starting down at datapads, also dressed to stave of the morning cold. "Now, here we have one of the new teams to enter the downhill circuit. Hopefully they have a little time to share". With that the woman turns to smile at Yoomnuff and Varick. "Hello there, can you spare a word?" The woman was young, attractive as most new reporters are, the smile warm and genuine despite the cold of the morning.

The temperature is more comfortable for his physiology than it often is, but it's still a bit warm and Varik has been doing some heavy lifting. He wipes the sweat off his brow and smiles good-naturedly at the reporter, "Sure, missy. We was just giving the bikes another once-over before the race. What can we do for ya?"

" Thankfully you three weren't dumb enough to lay a hand on Zara." Krydil squats next to the thugs still awake. " If you had actually harmed her before the race I might actually have to go rough on you." He then punches the next goon in the face. " Now doesn't mean you guys are smart, the smart ones were the two that ran away when I said you fools were outmatched." Krydil said with a smile on his face but his tone was serious, no one lays a hand on his friends.

The news reporter turns and nods back to one of the followers, who in turn reaches up to work some controls on the back of the probe droid. The woman turns back to the pair, taking a more relaxed position as she steps forwards. "Right, all we need to start off with you introducing yourselves and your team, and then we'll do a couple of quick questions, just going over what you think of the race, you know, the course, competition, stuff like that. Sound good?" Before they had a chance to answer she turns back to the others, waving to them. "We'll give you a moment to get ready".

Varik glances over at Yoomnuff uneasily, realizing he may have bitten off more than he can chew. That's me, can't never say no, can I? "Err, which of us wants to do mosta the talking?"

"My speech may be better off given the forced tone of my vernacular, additionally speaking to the press would be enjoyable, however I am more than willing to concede the responsibility to yourself." Yoomnuff said to his compatriot, turning away from the reporter slightly. Getting some limelight would be pretty great in Yoomnuff's opinion but he was more than willing to give that limelight over to improve morale with his teammate.

"Yeah, go ahead... I'll back you up, hotshot."

Yoomnuff gave Varik a solid pat on the shoulder before turning back to the reporter. "We have talked amongst ourselves and are now ready for our interview." Yoomnuff said as he placed is hands on his hips. If his voice modulator weren't in the way his goofy grin would be all too visible.

The woman examines Yoomnuff with a sceptical expression for a moment before smiling again. "Alright, well then, let's not waste time". She nods to the crew behinds her who begin to operate the probe droid. "And welcome back! Today is an exciting day, with the first downhill race of the season, 'the knucklecracker'. With the shake up in the roster, it is about time we get to know the fresh meat, out here, on the course". Turning to let Yoomnuff take centre stage, she gives him a winning smile, allowing him to make his introduction.

"Greetings! I am Yoomnuff the competitive racer! My compatriot to my right is Varik Rourke, but one of our two astounding mechanics gracing team Sylops! His expertise permits our other resident competitor, Zara Thustra, and I to keep our vehicles on the field and in the lead! That having been said, I would be doing a disservice if I didn't boast about Krydil Nyy, the teams other mechanic whom makes sure our vehicles are operating at above nominal levels! Lastly we have to thank Darren Glider, our team manager who keeps the metaphorical cogs of Sylops running smoothly." Yoomnuff exclaimed, barely able to keep himself together. He wasn't exactly sure how much information the interviewer wanted but Yoomnuff was all to willing to share.

Finally able to wrestle free of the cumbersome branch, the remaining thugs scramble to their feed, battered and thoroughly embarrassed by the turn of affairs. With snarls on their faces, they reach into their jackets to remove what look to be stun batons. Activating them with a crackle of yellow energy, they seems to regain a little composure. The first shoves the second in Krydil's direction, and the thug takes a mighty swing for the cerean's head. Unfortunately for him it is a wild blow, and one that is easy for the veteran fighter to dodge out of the way of. "Just stand still!" the thug shouts in frustration as he takes another swing.

Oblivious to all this, the reporter listens intently to Yoomnuff's introductions. At the mention of Zara and Krydil, the woman responds, turning to speak more to the remote than to the racer. "Well, it is always good to see a new team emerge and take up with the fierce competition here on Corellia. Now those names sound familiar, am I right in thinking that your team mates Zara and Krydil have had a presence on the race circuit before?"

Thugs Combat Check : 1eP+2eA+2eD 2 failures, 2 advantage

p--.png a-a-a.png a-s.png d-f.png d-f-f.png

"Why yes, they have! Though many of their specific triumphs are lost on me as I have not followed the sport for very long. What I can say about them would be only be praises to their character and skills based on my first hand experiences with them. What wondrous exploits they had preformed prior to our meeting are lost to me for the most part." Yoomnuff explained, loving every bit of the limelight.

When Krydil misses his swing for the thugs, now free of their trap begin ti lay into the mechanic. One stood on each side of him, Krydil quickly finds himself flanked by the pair, and feels the jolting pain of the shock batons slamming into his ribs and arms. "Think you're so tough? We're going to beat you so bad nothing will taste the same!"

The woman nods along, ever keeping a look of interest on her face as she listens to Yoomnuff. "Well, how about you and your partner here? If things go well for your team I'm sure you'll have some people out there who want to know about you".

Thug Combat Check : 2eP+1eA+2eD 3 successes, 1 threat

p-s-s.png p-a-a.png a-s.png d-th.png d-th-th.png Flipped Destiny Point

Missed Boost Dice : 1eB 1 success, 1 advantage
b-s-a.png Does 9 base damage to Krydil, threat spent to suffer 1 strain

Krydil has felt worse, though this was no time to get sloppy. Dodging their next swings with the batons Krydil takes up a better ready boxing moose and lets them come to him.

The goon with the broken nose closes First from the right his baton high leaving himself open for reprisal from a good fighter, which Krydil while a mechanic was no slouch in the ring. Krydil once again aims for the nose and stuns the man a bit stopping his advance.

The second fresh goon coming from the left has a better guard but leaves himself relatively open as he swings. Krydil sidesteps effortlessly and returns an uppercut so mighty the goon collapses on the ground KO’ed in one punch.

No longer smiling the Cerean Mechanic looks at the last awake goon serious. “ The two smart guys, they left. The Two dumb guys are on the floor. “ He says keeping his guard up as he faced the last goon. “ Want to reconsider if I’ll be the one who can’t taste things tomorrow?”

"I will allow my compatriot to take the stage." Yoomnuff said as he took a step back and pushed Varik forward a bit. He didn't wanna take all the spotlight for the team.

Well, Varik wanted Yoomnuff to take all the spotlight for the team. Uhh... Oh boy. Well hey, maybe Flash is watching. Better make the most of it!

"Uh, yeah, I keep the bikes tuned and operating at peak 'fficiency, but I've got a project I'm working on that you may get a look at soon. Ya see, these bikes are good, but they're mass produced and just rolled right off the 'ssembly line. They ain't tailor-made to the racers, and there's only so much you can do aftermarket. In just a short while, y'all'll see a brand-new, hand-built swoop on this circuit, tailored to the exactin' specifications of a discernin' racer, designed and built by yours truly! This's somethin' I've been wanting to do since I was only this high!" He grins, gesturing with a lower arm the approximate height of a 7 year-old Varik.

The "exacting specifications of a discerning racer" is a bit of a fib, but I've gotta talk it up at least some, don't I? If I can impress a racer, it might come true sooner rather than later. Best have at least a proof of concept if anyone comes knocking.

"As for myself, the only thing I would like the public to know about me is just how excited I am to be racing here today. It has been my sole aspiration to race since I was a juvenile and wether I triumph on the field today or perish in a ball of smouldering flame, I will do so with a smile plastered across my face." Yoomnuff passionately explained as he really got into his speech towards the end of it. The whole situation was finally hitting the Gigorian right there in the moment.

The final thug wobbles on his already shaky legs, and looks down at his fallen comrades. Bringing a hand to his bloodied and broken face to try and cup the worst of the damage. "You, you're both going to regret this!" With that, he turns and begins to run, scrambling and tripping his way through the tree roots and slick mud. With that the pair was left with the groaning attackers, still on the floor, unconscious.

Back up the slopes, the interviewer steps to one side a little, allowing Varik to enter the centre of the frame. "Wow, well it sounds like there could be some real competition on the circuit soon, in more way than one! Do you think you can take on the pro-level models produced by Mobquet and Corellian Engineering? They hire some of the best engineers and scientists, and of course have access to cutting edge technology".

Looking to Yoomnuff the woman smiles brightly at his enthusiasm, though freezes a little at the mention of burning. "Well I am glad to see that you have such, passion, for the sport. I hope we see you do well on today's event".

Glancing back at the man behind the probe, she says "did we get it?" The man nods, and she lets her posture relax. "Great, thanks for that you two" she says, more relaxed in her attitude, perhaps a little tired now.