The Circuit (IC)

By Rabobankrider, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

"We don't ignore these things- we just leave them up to you. If you guys can't keep up with our regular scheduled maintenance , maybe we're racing outta the wrong garage?"

Zara looks around. "I don't see Zh'on.. and who the frek knows when, or if, Hal will make it back with the other speeder..."

"Hop on, Vic. No funny business, or your furry *** will end up in the gutter."

With that, she's off for the beach. "Don't worry, fellas. I'll take it slow, so you can keep up." For now...

On 2/16/2019 at 12:11 AM, Jonas Shaaf said:

Cormil puts his tools away and walks over to Krydil. "It's amazing how some people can fly these gorgeous swoops and just ignore the simple things like 'regular scheduled maintenance'," Cormic says quietly.

"But that's what we have you guys for," Lei Mie teases as she gets on her bike and puts on her helmet. "See you there!"

Gunning the engine, she zooms off to the beach.

Hal sped down the streets on the speeder. He enjoyed the feeling of the wind in his hair as he drifted around tight corners and flashed down long stretches. He patted his chest with one hand, specifically the pocket that had his recent acquisitions. He hoped he wasn't late to the beach party but it usually didn't really get fun till later anyways.

By the time the team headed towards the golden beaches of the city, the sun had begun to set. It cast a red-golden glow over the city and the surrounding countryside, it was a truly beautiful sight to behold, a reminder of how lucky these folks were to be where they were. There were many places worse to live in the galaxy than Corellia, that much was certain.

It was not too long a journey for those driving, the roads were mostly empty thanks to many people already celebrating the results of the race from today. The beach however was a very different manner. It was a huge event, with hundreds of people present already, even at this time.

At the centre of the gathering someone had delegated this as the hub of the action. People were drinking, dancing and generally celebrating. Dance was blasting from somewhere, and the thronging crowd definitely seemed to appreciate it. There was even a rickety looking stage set up, using barrels and planks of wood to hold it up. Currently it was not in use, perhaps just as well judging by the quality of the build.

Spreading out from there no less than twenty large fires burning bright and scattered haphazardly around the sand. Groups and gangs had gathered around, planting themselves in the sand or on makeshift seats. Here drinks and spices were being passed from person to person as everyone revelled in the evening.

Beyond this was a hectic cluster of several hundred land speeders, swoops and speeder bikes. If you could picture it, you could find it here. There were rust buckets barely worth the fuel in them, and fully customised rides with expertly crafted hull work and state of the art engines. Many of the owners lounged around their rides, showing them off to each other, or simply using the place as somewhere a little quieter to drink.

Far off there was a thick cloud of dust as a land speeder spun around and around with a small cheering crowd watching it. It was lit by poorly placed torches and glow rods, but the new arrivals could see someone balancing on the front of the speeder as it spun. They were doing well for a while till the pilot threw the vehicle in the other direction, hurling them into the sand with many cheers heard from the crowd.

Lei Mie pulls up to the party and parks her bike nearest the largest concentration of party-goers. Shutting it down, she heads straight for the "stage" and climbs on, before gyrating and dancing as sexily as she could, in order to entice as many men there as possible.

Most of the thronging crowd do not see it simply ignore the biker on the stage, but a couple of people do pay attention. A young woman pushes her way towards the stage, giving a whoop as she rests her elbows on the wooden planks. 'Hey! I think you got the wrong idea about what kind of party this is!" she jokes with a wide grin. Her attire suggests a swoop biker, though there is no visible gang insignia. A few friends hang back, grinning and laughing among themselves as they continue to drink. "If you want you can join us lot for a drink!"

Zara watches as Lei Mei predictably gravitates toward the largest concentration of males. "You might want to keep an eye on her , Vic. I can look after myself."

Zara heads to an adjacent bonfire, where there is a pulsing beat and a Twi'lek woman singing in a foreign tongue, lekku undulating with the hypnotic rhythm. She's passingly familiar with the band, Chir-daki , and decides to hop off her swoop and dance for a bit herself. Don't know what she's singing about, but I like the way she sings it...

It feels good to be out, and there is a very positive vibe at this gathering. Zara isn't drinking, but instead drinks in the atmosphere of the twilit beach . It is one of the few times when factions mingle, and a general truce is observed, for the most part. I have a good feeling about tonight.

After a time, she jumps back on Furiosa and rides to join some of the other racers gathered, admiring some of the rides.. and some of the riders.

Edited by Edgehawk
typo

Good crowd tonight , Cormil thinks. He heads over to the racer zone, parks the Three Thunders and begins to chat with some of his acquaintances from outside of the garage.

Krydil goes from bike to bike inspecting them, admiring the well put together and customized bikes. Not one for loud music and possessing the dancing ability of a Hutt, he much preferred the quieter side of the beach, and a good drink after long days work was never unwelcome.

Hal arrives at the beach having successfully navigated his pharmaceutical quest. He parks the speeder where he can and makes his way to where the vehicles were on display. Always being drawn to speeders instead of swoops Hal went around checking out the modded and finely displayed rides. Hal talked briefly with the hangers on as he lacked the confidence to push his way to the front and talk to the drivers of the best rides.

Hal goes out to the sand and commandeers a flickering fire and tosses some fuel on it to kick it back up. With a place to hang secured he nodded at the various members of the garage motioning that he had secured a spot to hang and chat.

"Hey, Zara!" One of the riders would shout out, waving her over to join a few others. She'd seen him a few times around the casual race circuit, but had never gotten his name. He wasn't the best racer out there, but his did have a very nice landspeeder, this years model done in a very rich imperial green. Word was he had rich parents, but no one had confirmed this. He was drinking with a few other amateur racers and race enthusiasts. "You here with your crew Zara?" One of the women would ask as they toss her a drink.

As Cormil joins his friends he would suddenly find an arm wrapped around his shoulder as Robak appears seemingly from nowhere. Robak was a twi'lek, and always appeared from nowhere, he was always so quiet. He hung around most of the garages in the area, an enthusiast of all things mechanical, and looked like he had been drinking for a while. "I lost two hundred credits on that race today, but you know what? You know what? I'm ok with it" he would slur.

Krydil would see Cormil grabbed by his friend, though for now he is largely left to inspect the vehicles. There is all sorts of motors here tonight. Most are second hand, dented or rusted. Here and there though he would find a jewel in the dirt, a custom build here, a racing model there. Most folks though have to make do with what they can get.

The fire Hal found was largely deserted, peaceful (for a party at any rate). A few people would nod and smile at the newcomer, but he is largely left to his own devices till the rest of the crew arrive.

"Nice paint job. Very... martial. " Zara's response is delivered in such a manner that it is difficult to discern whether she is paying a compliment or not. "Race her yet, or is she a virgin?"

"Thanks!" She smiles, catching the beer. "Yeah, they're 'round here somewhere... Why? Trying to recruit me? I'm not that easy." Raising her drink, she takes a swig nonetheless. "Except when I want to be.. maybe you were just wondering if I was here with anyone.. special?"

Zara is flirting, but not particularly interested in where it might lead, at the moment... on second thought: "I came here to race, not to get la..."

Just then, she spies Hal hovering close to a nearby fire. Not for the first time that day, she belts out a war cry of a welcome over the din of the crowd: "Hey Doc!! Over here!!" I'll need you if they spiked this drink...

Turning back to the woman who had passed her the brew: "How 'bout you? Ya racing tonight?"

5 hours ago, Rabobankrider said:

As Cormil joins his friends he would suddenly find an arm wrapped around his shoulder as Robak appears seemingly from nowhere. Robak was a twi'lek, and always appeared from nowhere, he was always so quiet. He hung around most of the garages in the area, an enthusiast of all things mechanical, and looked like he had been drinking for a while. "I lost two hundred credits on that race today, but you know what? You know what? I'm ok with it" he would slur.

Cormil smiles and throws his arm around Robak as well, "Robak! Crazy race huh? I was short on credits, so I didn't make a wager, but if I did, I'd be out of pocket too!" Cormil smiles and pats Robak on the back. "Never mind, we're at the best party on the whole planet and there's going to be more racing coming up!" A little more quietly, Cormil adds, "So, give me the skinny. Who's got the best swoop here?"

Hal walks over towards Zara. He smooths his hair a bit as he closes the distance to the raucous group she has found herself with. "Hey there." he says to Zara. "Do we know how many people are racing tonight and when is this thing getting started?" he asks with excitement.

Edited by Jawa4thewin

"Besht speeder? I dunno man, I just came down teh drown my sorrows, an' do a bit of partying!" Robak would tap Cormil on the side of the head as the drunk wanders aimlesly with his pal under his arm. "Can't you ever turn it offf man? You never think of shumut else over than gears and engines?"

The young speedster would grin at this as he leans in Zara's direction. "I don't know, maybe we'd make a good team" he state with a smooth drawl (at least he imagined it to be so after his few drinks), flashing her a wining grin. With the arrival of Hal the group would turn to greet him cheerily, though they had not met him before, or not remembered a previous meeting.

"When? the young racer asks Hal with humour in his voice. "They've been going all night man. This ain't an organised race, you want to rumble you just challenge someone or hop on the end of the starting line!"

Another young woman laughs at this and shake her head. "Yeah, that's why Tobi is here nursing his wounds, he got wrecked in the first race, money can't buy skill it seems" she would say, teasing her friend much to the amusement of others.

"Hey, I got skill!" he'd shout, tossing an empty can in her direction, sending it wide thanks to his aim.

There would be the sound of shouting and general commotion near the waterside of the party, and people began to rush in its direction. "Oh, looks like they've got another one going on. You want to race you better get moving Zara!" Tobi would declare, clapping her on the shoulder. "I know I'd beat you, so I'm going to just watch from the sidelines this round, give you a chance" he'd laugh as he and his friends begin to make their way towards the crowd.

The others spread around the beach would also see the gathering begin, and listening to the passers by would be quickly able to deduce what was about to go down. On the line there was currently three racers, all with their vehicles ready. One was a scruffy looking rodian checking over a dented and rusted speeder. He didn't look too confident and had most likely been egged into this by friends. The second was a blonde man with carefully quiffed hair. He wore a crisp white shirt and was lounging in the drivers seat of a blood red landspeeder, all polish, chrome and engines In the passenger seat was a young woman, seemingly overdressed for this kind of party, but looking excited to be there. He was currently in an argument with the third and final racer who was leaning out of the seat of their speeder bike to shout through the mouth guard of their helmet. This made it difficult to tell who they were, but their voice was feminine.

"If you tell me that clonking big speeders like that can outpace an proper racing bike like this, then you better be ready to lose!"

"Sweetheart, I can outrace any chick on a bike out here with my eyes closed, you're not different".

"Oh! Now I'm going to embarrass you Krift"

"If you say so" the speeder owner would say with a cocky shrug. The race was about to start in a few moments, just enough time for a few more entrants to arrive.

Lei Mie looks over and sees the group getting ready for a race, grabs her helmet and leaps on her bike. “Wait for me!” She hollers, starting the engine and pulling up to the starting line.

Zara is heading for the ersatz starting line, when she catches the exchange between the female biker and red speeder guy, and pulls up along the other side of the speeder. Oh no he kriffing didn't...

"Kriff ? That's your name? Explains a lot. On behalf of women everywhere... Challenge accepted, honey."

Noticing the passenger for the first time, she flips up her visor and tugs off her racing gauntlet, extending a hand: "Hi, I'm Zara!"

There is no time for more than a quick introduction, however, and she quickly pulls her gauntlet back on and prepares to race!

Doc catches Zara just before she hits the line. "You want a little boost for the race?" he asks with a grin.

"No thanks, Doc." It's not the first time he's made such an offer, and Zara tries not to judge when it comes to such things. "I've got to drive."

On 2/27/2019 at 6:33 PM, Rabobankrider said:

Besht speeder? I dunno man, I just came down teh drown my sorrows, an' do a bit of partying!" Robak would tap Cormil on the side of the head as the drunk wanders aimlesly with his pal under his arm. "Can't you ever turn it offf man? You never think of shumut else over than gears and e  ngines?"

Cormin smiles, "I'm still waiting for the..."

On 2/27/2019 at 6:33 PM, Rabobankrider said:

There would be the sound of shouting and general commotion near the waterside of the party, and people began to rush in its direction.

"... that!" Cormil pats his friend on the back one more time "Gotta get a little racing in myself. Save me a drink, will ya! And something stiff for Zara if I beat her!" Cormil chuckles and heads off to get ready to race.

The Kriff would glance across at Zara before letting out another audible snort. "Come on, another chick who thinks she's a racer? Give me a break".

"Moron" the helmeted rider would mutter, shaking her head before shaking Zara's hand with a firm grip. "My friends call me Wheeler. Let's show this mouth what real racer can do yeah?" With that she would turn back to face the line, focused on the race ahead.

The rodian hops onto his speeder, causing it to make a worrying groan as metal rubs against metal, but he tries to ignore it as best he can. As the final racers arrive, a tall nautolan steps forwards, kicking up sand as he goes. He is wearing a long coat that reaches the floor, and the collar and cuffs are lined with fur to ward off the cold of the sea breeze.

"Alright!" He would shout, quieting the crowd. "We've got another challenge for the night! The rules are simple, stay on course, and win!" The crowd cheers as he speaks, waving his arms to encourage them. "Follow the torches, and watch out for the fire trap, you don't want to end this crispy!" As he talks, as if on que there is a rush of flame as pairs of torches ignite behind him. This quickly begin to form the boundaries of a course that loops around the camp before exploding in a ball of flame, revealing a ramp. "No backing out now folks, if you win, it's one hundred credits. Now, are you ready?"

2 minutes ago, Rabobankrider said:

The Kriff would glance across at Zara before letting out another audible snort. "Come on, another chick who thinks she's a racer? Give me a break".

"Moron" the helmeted rider would mutter, shaking her head before shaking Zara's hand with a firm grip. "My friends call me Wheeler. Let's show this mouth what real racer can do yeah?" With that she would turn back to face the line, focused on the race ahead.

The rodian hops onto his speeder, causing it to make a worrying groan as metal rubs against metal, but he tries to ignore it as best he can. As the final racers arrive, a tall nautolan steps forwards, kicking up sand as he goes. He is wearing a long coat that reaches the floor, and the collar and cuffs are lined with fur to ward off the cold of the sea breeze.

"Alright!" He would shout, quieting the crowd. "We've got another challenge for the night! The rules are simple, stay on course, and win!" The crowd cheers as he speaks, waving his arms to encourage them. "Follow the torches, and watch out for the fire trap, you don't want to end this crispy!" As he talks, as if on que there is a rush of flame as pairs of torches ignite behind him. This quickly begin to form the boundaries of a course that loops around the camp before exploding in a ball of flame, revealing a ramp. "No backing out now folks, if you win, it's one hundred credits. Now, are you ready?"

"Let's RIDE!!!!!!" Lei Mie cries enthusiastically.

Hundred credit purse, huh? For the glory, then...

Zara is determined to win this beach race, but now she is even more driven to show up the jerk in the red speeder. She nods in response to Wheeler, then to Krift: "Prepare to eat sand, tool-bag."

Just waiting on the signal...

Krydil would rush up to his friends getting as close as he could to them before he was stopped. “ Guys! Over here!” He would wave grabbing their attention, “ I took a good look at the Racers rides, the Rodians bike is just as bad as it looks, that land speeder is fast for what it is but it ain’t no sports model.” Then Krydil points over to the Speeder Bike owned by the Nautolan. “ That one, I can tell she’s fast. Got a custom engine, can’t tell if it has nitrox from here, but that bike won’t need it to be fast.”

14 hours ago, Shlambate said:

Krydil would rush up to his friends getting as close as he could to them before he was stopped. “ Guys! Over here!” He would wave grabbing their attention, “ I took a good look at the Racers rides, the Rodians bike is just as bad as it looks, that land speeder is fast for what it is but it ain’t no sports model.” Then Krydil points over to the Speeder Bike owned by the Nautolan. “ That one, I can tell she’s fast. Got a custom engine, can’t tell if it has nitrox from here, but that bike won’t need it to be fast.”

Lei Mie grins, mischievously. "Sounds like fun," she gloats, gunning her engines.