Resistance XXX + ?: a fun entry point to Resistance

By GreenDragoon, in X-Wing Squad Lists

*flexes knuckles* History Lesson Time.

Composure started out as a "Since actions can now fail, you can gain a focus as a consolation price/training wheels" talent.

And immediately folks went through every hoop they could think of to break it. Can you fail a lock on an E-Wing by attempting to lock something at Range 1? Well, they clarified that you couldn't (in fact, it's nigh-on impossible for anyone, E-Wing or not, to fail a lock, since you can just lock something different). How about TIE Interceptors? Boost or Roll, then use Autothrusters to fail the other action, and wind up with a Focus token having already done boost or roll with no stress. An A-wing would be able to Lock, fail a Boost, and Focus for double mods.

Then they changed the rulebook: it used to be that failed Red actions don't give stress, now they do. That didn't kill all the tricks.

A few cases stuck around, like Snap with Composure. Sabine Wren has free boosts and rolls. Hera Syndulla Ghost could fail the Coordinate (by being out of range, or if the potential target had used Passive Sensors to go un-coordinate-able), and easily wind up with a Focus before revealing her dial. The TIE/ba was about to release, and that ship would have been able fail the roll from it's pilot ability to Focus, then take an Evade.

But isn't this supposed to just be a training wheels talent so that if you attempt a boost and get it wrong, you aren't totally ****ed? Composure wasn't ever intended as an action efficiency talent.

So FFG errata'd Composure to shut off *ALL* later actions. Killed dead any shenanigans that give you extra actions. It's for the best. Composure was like an invitation towards, well, breaking the game. How to intentionally do something bad, to get some kind of strong effect, at an incredibly cheap cost.

Why am I typing this... I ought to sleep, or at least be reading Earthsea... took me long enough to finally start it, and it rules. Ursula K. Le Guin is amazing.

Edited by theBitterFig

How I miss snap composure.

10 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Then they changed the rulebook so that failed Red actions don't give stress.

They did?

4 hours ago, Tyhar7 said:

Me, too.

32 minutes ago, gennataos said:

They did?

It was late, and I phrased that poorly. I guess you ninja'd my edit to fix it.

5 hours ago, Tyhar7 said:

Honestly, I don't. I think all the Composure tricks were kinda BS. Having the door closed on a card which begs to be exploited feels good to me.

3 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

It was late, and I phrased that poorly. I guess you ninja'd my edit to fix it.

Honestly, I don't. I think all the Composure tricks were kinda BS. Having the door closed on a card which begs to be exploited feels good to me.

For me composure was exploitable on very few ships and spread over factions, and their is a very thin line between an exploit and creative use of an upgrade. It wasn't game breaking and in the case for Snap, it took some skill to pull off when you broke off from your formation. I spent more time having snap hug rocks or flying in close to enemies to get it to trigger.

Moreover I enjoyed flying him, now he's a mediocre I4.

I think its a shame when you can't have a little creative play with the upgrades, opening up some list options. Since the ruling I haven't seen snap see play, which is just a pitty.

I can see it from your point of view tho, which is why I'm not crying over it. Just gotta try something new.

1 minute ago, Tyhar7 said:

Still a free action, tho. Is that worth 6 points over a Black Squadron? That's Afterburners pricing...

But yeah, nearly all named T-70s could use a price cut. Probably everyone but Bastian and Jess could drop 3 points.

So let's get some creative juices flowing. What Resistance 4 ships build are you currently thinking about that are in the 201-210 range. What is our best case scenario?

For one semi unrelated thing I am hoping for some massive drops on the Bomber. Would be fun to run Bomber + 3.

2 hours ago, Flurpy said:

So let's get some creative juices flowing. What Resistance 4 ships build are you currently thinking about that are in the 201-210 range. What is our best case scenario?

For one semi unrelated thing I am hoping for some massive drops on the Bomber. Would be fun to run Bomber + 3.

Ship choices are pretty limited to the same old same old, even with 1-10 points to play with it'll be more upgrades than ship changes.

If some of the upgrade cards come down we might see some more creative play.

We might be able to squeeze some 5 ship lists in?

Jess, Bastian, Red Sqd, Rose, Kaz...

3 hours ago, Flurpy said:

I looked at it a fair amount and came up with basically the same stuff I already run, just with more stuff on them.

Totally off topic here, but RZ-2 A-Wings with multiple i5 pilots just make RZ-1’s look silly, and for not many more points. I want some higher-initiative RZ-1’s.

Triple Black Ace T70s + Greer RZ has been one of my favorite casual lists.

I look forward to the future.

8 hours ago, Flurpy said:

4 Heroic/Optics Black Squadron Aces. :P Dullsville, but seriously, the I-Kills could probably get real.

I'd also probably like some sort of slim Han + stuff list. Right now "Wide Wedge" can work, but requires like Finn or Rose in a pod, instead of a heftier ship. Getting an upgrade to the 4th ship could go a ways, I think.

9 hours ago, Flurpy said:

P4th of Least Resistance

(40) Kazuda Xiono [Fireball]
(2) Coaxium Hyperfuel
(3) Advanced SLAM
(1) Heroic
(2) Kaz's Fireball

(63) Chewbacca [Scavenged YT-1300]
(1) Heroic
(2) Rey's Millennium Falcon

(47) Black Squadron Ace [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic

(36) Greer Sonnel [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic

Total points: 199

This list is actually the first one I built and won with. I still think it’s a pretty good one. Greer especially is a steal at 37 points; her ability to rotate that turret for free is fantastic.

For five ships. This is currently 200 and it needs to drop enough for at least R4 on Poe and R5 on Kaz to be cool.

New Squadron

(29) Finn [Resistance Transport Pod]
(1) Heroic

(26) Rose Tico [Resistance Transport Pod]

(33) Jarek Yeager [Fireball]
(1) Heroic

(40) Kazuda Xiono [Fireball]
(1) Heroic

(68) Poe Dameron [T-70 X-wing]
(1) Heroic

Total points: 200

On the other hand, I still think Poe is key. He needs to drop like 5 points even if it means pulling him out of Hyperspace. Poe + 3 is probably the answer to what we should fly. Just the best 3 need to be decided depending on what gets moved where points wise.

12 hours ago, Tyhar7 said:

For me composure was exploitable on very few ships and spread over factions, and their is a very thin line between an exploit and creative use of an upgrade. It wasn't game breaking and in the case for Snap, it took some skill to pull off when you broke off from your formation. I spent more time having snap hug rocks or flying in close to enemies to get it to trigger.

I think its a shame when you can't have a little creative play with the upgrades, opening up some list options. Since the ruling I haven't seen snap see play, which is just a pitty.

I can see it from your point of view tho, which is why I'm not crying over it. Just gotta try something new.

Snap wasn't the issue. He was collateral damage caused by the actually gamebreaking threat of an i5 Holo and i6 Vonreg being able to both Focus/Evade on command, and rather completely escape punishment for messing up with their ship ability (eg. "I'll try to roll out of your arc here. Oh, whoops, looks like it doesn't fit. Oh well, guess I'll just get gifted a Focus from Composure and use my action to Evade so I'm immune to damage or lock and try to kill you instead").

Overall, though, I find myself agreeing with @theBitterFig : while I'm pretty sure they weren't the intended targets, I'm not at all sad to see Composure Snap & Sabine go. I also flew both a fair bit before the change, and while they might not have been overpowered, they were very much "feels bad man" for the opponent as they watched me weaponise both Composure and the pilot abilities in complete defiance of their intended effects.

6 hours ago, Flurpy said:

Poe + 3 is probably the answer to what we should fly. Just the best 3 need to be decided depending on what gets moved where points wise.

I cannot disagree with this.

7 hours ago, DR4CO said:

He was collateral damage caused by the actually gamebreaking threat of an i5 Holo and i6 Vonreg being able to both Focus/Evade on command, and rather completely escape punishment for messing up with their ship ability (eg. "I'll try to roll out of your arc here. Oh, whoops, looks like it doesn't fit. Oh well, guess I'll just get gifted a Focus from Composure and use my action to Evade so I'm immune to damage or lock and try to kill you instead").

This was absolutely the reason. Snap and Sabine were still just caught in the mix. In any case, Snap is still good with double action economy but may be slightly overpriced, now that they combo doesn't work. Sabine can still get triple action economy is she does things right, she just actually has to complete here barrel roll, now.

55 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

This was absolutely the reason. Snap and Sabine were still just caught in the mix. In any case, Snap is still good with double action economy but may be slightly overpriced, now that they combo doesn't work. Sabine can still get triple action economy is she does things right, she just actually has to complete here barrel roll, now.

Truth be told, I didn't get double mods on Snap all that often. He was just fast as ****, plus I had regen on him, so he could take an initial punch and be nigh impossible to pursue, even for the likes of Soontir. But, like @5050Saint said, he's probably a little overpriced without shenanigans available.

On 7/1/2020 at 8:18 PM, Flurpy said:

Cova Nell (38)
Heroic (1)
Leia Organa (Resistance) (17)

Ship total: 56 Half Points: 28 Threshold: 4

Lieutenant Bastian (47)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 47 Half Points: 24 Threshold: 4

Poe Dameron (68)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 71 Half Points: 36 Threshold: 4

Finn (29)
Heroic (1)

Ship total: 30 Half Points: 15 Threshold: 2

Total: 204

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZsZ200Z351X172WWWW244WWWY254XWW175WWWY231X172W5WW175WWWY350X172WWW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Assuming Poe cost will one day be reasonable while the other few good resistance things aren't nerfed, I would love to fly this even if it would come without Black One nor R4 on cova

1 hour ago, Sunitsa said:

Assuming Poe cost will one day be reasonable while the other few good resistance things aren't nerfed, I would love to fly this even if it would come without Black One nor R4 on cova

I know a lot of folks would disagree, but I don’t think title is required on Poe. Matter of fact, I think it can be a trap a lot of the time.

39 minutes ago, gennataos said:

I know a lot of folks would disagree, but I don’t think title is required on Poe. Matter of fact, I think it can be a trap a lot of the time.

I don't think it's required especially in a not-68-base-points poe, but it's a nice option to have from time to times since it allows to save half poe points. Which, as you said, might often be a trap.

I also don't think R4 is needed for Cova and that it might also prove sometimes to be a trap too

After returning to our stores first event since COVID, and not having a clue what to fly, I net listed and flew 3x 2pod.

It was insane. Great fun to fly. So now I wanna try this and leave the Finn crutch off.

Heroes of the Resistance

(44) Red Squadron Expert [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Jamming Beam
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic

(0) Jamming Beam
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic

(0) Jamming Beam
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic

(63) Chewbacca [Scavenged YT-1300]
(2) Contraband Cybernetics

Total points: 200

My reason: I have long found that having 4+ V arcs is difficult to get all guns on target at the same time. The side arc falcon rarely ever spends a round not shooting (unlike Finn) and with Chewies ability, I’m hoping it will make up for the missing firepower.

Plus, there’s something about side arcs I’m addicted to flying with aces, boba, fangs, etc in the meta.

Edited by JBFancourt
3 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

Cova Nell (38)
Heroic (1)
Leia Organa (Resistance) (17)

Ship total: 56 Half Points: 28 Threshold: 4

Lieutenant Bastian (47)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 47 Half Points: 24 Threshold: 4

Poe Dameron (68)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 71 Half Points: 36 Threshold: 4

Finn (29)
Heroic (1)

Ship total: 30 Half Points: 15 Threshold: 2

Total: 204

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZsZ200Z351X172WWWW244WWWY254XWW175WWWY231X172W5WW175WWWY350X172WWW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Yeah I was debating either that or Poe, Kaz, CovaLeia, Finn. But we both know which one of us prefers Kaz and which one doesn't :D