Five A-Wings

By GreenDragoon, in X-Wing Battle Reports

2 hours ago, Sad Toaster said:

Is there a Video of the Finals?

Afaik it’ll be in high quality in 2 weeks. Now it’s in semi high and in 2 parts here:

@kenoslaw - How big of points hit do you think the list can take before it starts dropping too far to be viable?

2 minutes ago, gennataos said:

@kenoslaw - How big of points hit do you think the list can take before it starts dropping too far to be viable?

Depends where it will get hit, if pilots it may go off totally in this state. I find adv optics and heroic key elements, if they can’t fit, it may be killed with banhammer

Edited by kenoslaw
On 6/3/2019 at 9:13 AM, gennataos said:

Not much...

If lulo get above 41, then I think he'll force the other four to be greens or blues just to keep their mods.

His extra output seems invaluable to this list.

However, I've got this secret obsession with making four As work... Love me some Ferro-paint and Prockets....

On 6/8/2019 at 6:54 AM, Bucknife said:

Not much...

If lulo get above 41, then I think he'll force the other four to be greens or blues just to keep their mods.

However, I've got this secret obsession with making four As work... Love me some Ferro-paint and Prockets....

again playstyle, i found that lulo had biggs effect and he v often died t1 or t2, or i just deliberately didn't stress him so that he would survive, i think there is a place for luloless lists.

It all depends if they'll nerf all As or just named ones. Or any? I bet lulo is a nobrainer with his ability.

Just picked up my 5th Rz2....

Mistakes we're made?

I figured if I'm gonna really commit to my faction, I've gotta have the five in case there's any future versions of the list that are worth trying.

As of now, ironically, I'm gonna be trying 4 named with prockets/Ferro-paint.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:54 AM, Bucknife said:

Not much...

41 minutes ago, kenoslaw said:

again playstyle, i found that lulo had biggs effect and he v often died t1 or t2, or i just deliberately didn't stress him so that he would survive, i think there is a place for luloless lists.

It all depends if they'll nerf all As or just named ones. Or any? I bet lulo is a nobrainer with his ability.

We'll see. I really hope that they leave the Greens as it is. If so then the list remains an actual option. Else... I don't know. Initially, the list had the benefit that i3 was at the same initiative as many scum pilots. By now, much has moved up to i4, especially in extended.

I think the 4x Blues + Snap are still quite good and more likely to survive the points change. Maybe it's worth an actual try.

32 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I think the 4x Blues + Snap are still quite good and more likely to survive the points change. Maybe it's worth an actual try.

Snap is effin' awesome.

24 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Snap is effin' awesome.

Haha yeah, I haven't lost a game with him +4blues so far. Of course I never brought him to anything competitive, but all the games worked out very well.

I'm surprised he doesn't see more play.

7 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Haha yeah, I haven't lost a game with him +4blues so far. Of course I never brought him to anything competitive, but all the games worked out very well.

I'm surprised he doesn't see more play.

Agreed. I think, with Composure, he's arguably better than Nien or Ello. Maybe even without Composure.

@kenoslaw I just went through the cloud city final, congratulations on the win! That was a beautiful game to watch.

I'd love to go back to 5As, but it feels like there is no point before the points change

On 6/12/2019 at 9:26 AM, GreenDragoon said:

@kenoslaw I just went through the cloud city final, congratulations on the win! That was a beautiful game to watch.

I'd love to go back to 5As, but it feels like there is no point before the points change

Thanks! It was a great event!

About flying 5As I have almost the same feeling ;) Hopefully points change is close, i am already tinkering around with different lists to prepare myself for XTC based on ppls spoilers.

Edited by kenoslaw

Not attempting to derail the thread, @GreenDragoon , but I was wondering if anyone who has 5A experience has tried Chewie in place of two of them? Despite having gotten 5 A-Wings long ago, I never put any iteration of them on the table, so I have no baseline. I've played Chewie + 3As several times and it seems pretty darn good.

@kenoslaw

@RStan

@Micanthropyre

I am actually considering Chewie and 3 Blues for quite some time. I just didn’t have time to actually test it properly.

I’ve played against chewie and 3 A and it’s good. Chewie hits like a truck. While you chase chewie the A’s pepper you down. And if you Chase the A’s chewie punishes you for it.

On 6/15/2019 at 10:24 AM, gennataos said:

Not attempting to derail the thread, @GreenDragoon , but I was wondering if anyone who has 5A experience has tried Chewie in place of two of them? Despite having gotten 5 A-Wings long ago, I never put any iteration of them on the table, so I have no baseline. I've played Chewie + 3As several times and it seems pretty darn good.

@kenoslaw

@RStan

@Micanthropyre

No, but mostly because I'm bad at playing Falcons more than anything. Building a rough list and headsimming... I'm not particularly impressed either. Time on target is so good with the RZ2s that I think that replacing those two attacks with a higher initiative 3 die attack with a possible bonus 3 attacks isn't worthwhile right now. I might do it for funsies though since I don't have a current tournament to prep for.

Thanks, @kenoslaw and @Micanthropyre ...I figured no one had really done a lot with him.

1 minute ago, gennataos said:

Thanks, @kenoslaw and @Micanthropyre ...I figured no one had really done a lot with him.

I think @SOTL tried something alike back in December? I know he painted it up, that's where the Porg Awing came from iirc

It's similar to the 4A+X squad: somehow works well in the few testgames, but no one really tested it

1 minute ago, GreenDragoon said:

I think @SOTL tried something alike back in December? I know he painted it up, that's where the Porg Awing came from iirc

It's similar to the 4A+X squad: somehow works well in the few testgames, but no one really tested it

I think it's something which doesn't go a lot past headsim for most folks. I really only got onto it because I got a frosted Chewie from Adepticon and also wanted to give the Falcon some testing time during this lull period. It's fun and offers a "joust me" approach that 5A doesn't seem to, but once Wave 4 and points cracks the Resistance wide open....who knows.

15 minutes ago, gennataos said:

I think it's something which doesn't go a lot past headsim for most folks. I really only got onto it because I got a frosted Chewie from Adepticon and also wanted to give the Falcon some testing time during this lull period. It's fun and offers a "joust me" approach that 5A doesn't seem to, but once Wave 4 and points cracks the Resistance wide open....who knows.

So you can fit currently Tali Lulo and Greer with toys with Chewie which is interesting. I think though I'd take Lulo, Bastien, and a blue if I was taking Chewie plus three right now.

18 minutes ago, Micanthropyre said:

So you can fit currently Tali Lulo and Greer with toys with Chewie which is interesting. I think though I'd take Lulo, Bastien, and a blue if I was taking Chewie plus three right now.

I've been messing around with just generics, purposefully avoiding the named pilots in expectation of a points increase. Fatter Chewie with Optics/Heroic blues, leaner Chewie with Optics/Heroic/Crack greens. Maybe the Resistance Falcons see a price decrease to make up the gap, though.

All this said, I did it only as an exercise to get familiar with the Falcon in 2.0 and it felt more powerful than I'd anticipated. The opponent wants to kill Chewie as fast as possible, while I want to keep him alive as long as possible, while punishing with the A-Wings.

@gennataos I do have plans trying out Chewie 3As assuming all these new crew and the falcon itself will provide higher competitive options for that list. Even now, it's not bad at all. What has been your upgrade priority on Chewie? Some I see that are high value are Rose crew, Engine Upgrade, Rey Gunner, or C3PO.

I think that's why I like Bastien in there with Chewie and a couple A wings, simply because if they ignore Bastien he hits so much harder than non Lulo a wings.

1 hour ago, RStan said:

@gennataos I do have plans trying out Chewie 3As assuming all these new crew and the falcon itself will provide higher competitive options for that list. Even now, it's not bad at all. What has been your upgrade priority on Chewie? Some I see that are high value are Rose crew, Engine Upgrade, Rey Gunner, or C3PO.

1 hour ago, Micanthropyre said:

I think that's why I like Bastien in there with Chewie and a couple A wings, simply because if they ignore Bastien he hits so much harder than non Lulo a wings.

Continued here , so as not to dump on this awesome thread.

Any thoughts on the future of 5A? I mean, RZ1s probably have an opportunity soon with SNAP, but what about our RZ2s with the same?

EDIT

Snap Shot is a Wave 5 upgrade in the Nantex expansion.

front arc attack may open up room for some Outmaneuver RZ2 action.

Edited by Bucknife