Where does Runewars go next?

By Hepitude, in Runewars Miniatures Game

1 hour ago, kaffis said:

A second two player starter box, relaunching the game without a new edition. We've got the two factions and they're popular fantasy races. Launch individual army expansion boxes for Daqan and Waiqar alongside, let the initial core set go out of print, and you've got an eye catching new SKU that boasts an easy entry point, and for additional faction boxes if the two player box doesn't suit. What better way to relations the game?

Also, the new core set will have full size upgrade cards for us to trade around.

The getting started with a faction other than Daqan / Waiqar is kind of covered by the Essentials box. It just doesn't involve a friend nor a commitment by a player to a particular faction.

Going back to the original topic here's my predictions

1) We'll see a pause in that we won't have further announcements until into next year, either AdeptiCon or GenCon.

2) When we do see something new, I predict :

- 2 new factions

- EPIC units / play

- Campaign box

So, as much as I’ve thought out command lacks for cavalry/siege as a good expansion for armies this next coming year, I think this is the ideal spot in this game’s life to add 2 factions. An even somewhat aggresive release schedule can get the two new armies up to snuff in a year. Then release those new command packs maybe early Q2 and one more expansion late Q3 for the remaining 4 factions.

Edited by Church14
4 minutes ago, tgall said:

The getting started with a faction other than Daqan / Waiqar is kind of covered by the Essentials box. It just doesn't involve a friend nor a commitment by a player to a particular faction.

True, but stores are often more inclined to stock a new product they can advertise as a ready to play experience, which means two sides. The advantage here is to get hype behind the new release.

I wouldn’t be so fast to predict the end of the game. Right now I think we are getting a bit of a drought after worlds and im suspecting it’s becasue Star Wars clone wars expansions are requiring all hands on deck from all corners of the company.

2 hours ago, kaffis said:

A second two player starter box, relaunching the game without a new edition. We've got the two factions and they're popular fantasy races. Launch individual army expansion boxes for Daqan and Waiqar alongside, let the initial core set go out of print, and you've got an eye catching new SKU that boasts an easy entry point, and for additional faction boxes if the two player box doesn't suit. What better way to relations the game?

Also, the new core set will have full size upgrade cards for us to trade around.

This could work if the starter box had a new faction or newish units in it but if was just a latari/uthuk repackage than the current player base would have little to no reason to buy it and that would be a problem.

Genesys and heroes of terrinoth have been pushing orks pretty hard, so ork and dwarven factions could definately be a thing.

Thematically, it seems fitting that those two would join the battle for terrinoth late.

3 hours ago, Tarliyn said:

This could work if the starter box had a new faction or newish units in it but if was just a latari/uthuk repackage than the current player base would have little to no reason to buy it and that would be a problem.

Oh, I meant the much predicted Orcs and Dwarves.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:57 PM, Church14 said:

I see Uthuk and Daqan  gettin  g another cav.

I agree regarding Daqan: Baron Zachareth has a cavalry upgrade that reads: [melee] [ranged] You may replace 1 dice with a white dice.

Much like Maegan's cavalry upgrade that included a ranged ability prior to the announcement of Ventala, I think that Daqan will receive some cavalry with a ranged attack.

7 hours ago, tall thin climber said:

I agree regarding Daqan: Baron Zachareth has a cavalry upgrade that reads: [melee] [ranged] You may replace 1 dice with a white dice.

Much like Maegan's cavalry upgrade that included a ranged ability prior to the announcement of Ventala, I think that Daqan will receive some cavalry with a ranged attack.

Couldn't that also just be for Fire Rune Oathsworn?

10 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Couldn't that also just be for Fire Rune Oathsworn?

It could... but the figure upgrade is far too expensive for that to be viable. The other part of the figure upgrade grants the Saviour/Betrayer condition to the unit and, combined with the white die upgrade, comes in at 21 points.

To make that cost-effective in Oathsworn, you'd also need Simultaneous Orders to activate both the condition skill plus the Fire Rune skill. Now, Fire Rune plus Betrayer plus Zacherath figure upgrade gives you a threat 0-4 attack with a white and a red/blue dice - which is quite nice. But, you'd need a minimum of six trays so that's 76 points for that unit. And that unit must advance in a straight line while using the skill due to the blue skill modifier and is only using fire rune and harvesting vitality.

Zachareth can be effective in Oathsworn - with Betrayer activated and used then they would get a base melee of white, and three reds. But, I'd sooner take Hawthorne for an extra point because that provides a white, two reds, and a blue without needing to stun a friendly unit.

So, this leads me to suspect that we'll see a cavalry unit for Daqan which can function in a support role - mobile; with a white skill modifier and ranged attack.

A potential counter argument is that Daqan and Waiqar are the factions of big heroes - so the figure upgrade versions never provide value for money because the intention is to encourage players to run them as independent heroes. So, maybe it doesn't matter that Zachareth's cavalry upgrade card isn't viable because it's not intended to be used competitively.

5 hours ago, tall thin climber said:

mobile  ; with a white skill modifier and ranged attack.

However, that would encroach on the Ventala design space.

Another option is a unit of rune bulls with magical eye lasers. Mostly slow but with a single long late straight charge, a moderate ranged attack, and the melee ability to push back enemy units.

I could see Zakareth happily leading such a unit.

FLING UNITS

Pegasus Rider

Roc Rider

Undead Dragon

Wyvern Rider

Why i am sure it will come ? because it was in Runewars Board Game and in Battle Lore, that is Azeroth.

Plus the Pegasus Rider can be seen in the RWMG Story Book Page 32

21 hours ago, tall thin climber said:

However, that would encroach on the Ventala design space.

Another option is a unit of rune bulls with magical eye lasers. Mostly slow but with a single long late straight charge, a moderate ranged attack, and the melee ability to push back enemy units.

I could see Zakareth happily leading such a unit.

Maybe, maybe not. All factions have archer but we don’t feel they encroach on each other.

Im not sure about Rune bulls, but a 2/1 Cavalry for Daqan that role two dice in melee and has a unique slot could work. Let one unique be mounted crossbows that fire on a skill and the other be some sort of armor that makes them a 3/1.

Give them a different dial with short green moves, long blue, a green skill, white charge modifiers, and a white armor up. You can make a unit capable of slightly mobile ranged warfare but does less damage than Xbows or can become a super tank unit that does less damage than Oathsworne.

New terrain box.

Comes with 3d printed, unpainted, unassembled plastic of ALL current terrain pieces and cards plus some new ones. Main draw would be the 3d print but also the first 9 and 12 tray terrain pieces which cannot be used for tournament play.

They come with specific deployment and objective cards.

Also within the box is a new lore book, which advances the story, hints at new units and developments and brings in the Dwarves and Orcs.

I'm hoping they keep going with the game, though I do fear a drop in support.

If they do push forward, I expect to see:

Orcs and Dwarves, Cav command, and plastic 3D terrain.

They are doing and selling terrain for Starwars, I don't know why they wouldn't do it for Runewars.

This may have been asked and answered already, but I haven't seen it anywhere: campaign books/boxes.

I think the game looks very generic to people who haven't invested time into reading the lore, so boxed sets that push a narrative would be very cool.

Also, expanded rules for skirmish (no tray) play would be very interesting and allow for more hero-centric play.

1 hour ago, EPGelion said:

Also  , expanded rules for skirmish (no tray) play wou  ld be very interesting and allow for more hero-centric  play   . 

That was one of my hopes when the game first came out. Even Rune Golems could be removed from the trays - which makes no sense in Runewars but could be useful to reuse models for a miniatures game.

However, there is now Legion. I doubt FFG would launch another skirmish game so soon after.

16 hours ago, tall thin climber said:

That was one of my hopes when the game first came out. Even Rune Golems could be removed from the trays - which makes no sense in Runewars but could be useful to reuse models for a miniatures game.

However, there is now Legion. I doubt FFG would launch another skirmish game so soon after.

Been thinking about some mash-up of Legion rules and 40k Kill Team play. Have a hero character lead a limited group sized element (8 inf., 4 cav., 2 siege), and really push objective play versus deathmatch.

FFG could make a new package that has previously released troops, but with new heroes.

My best guesses are:

- Cavalry upgrades (champion and banner... but who knows, something else too perhaps?)

- Epic units (dragons, giants, etc.) I wouldn't be surprised if instead of, or in addition to faction specific large monsters we got "neutral" large monsters that could be used by any faction. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint that you'd want units that could be bought by any player.

I think new factions is a stretch, although I wouldn't rule it out.

I'm really, really hoping for terrain kits, but not really expecting them.

I'd love terrain kits too, that'd make the board so much nicer to look at.

We know Waiqar are getting a siege unit. I expect Daqan gets the Ironbound next. Not sure about the other two.

But I do expect future waves to be 1-1-1-1 across the factions now.

26 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

We know Waiqar are getting a siege unit.

Oh, right, totally forgot!

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:10 AM, Suhawk75 said:

Ok deep breath!

I’m aware this won’t make me popular but I have a depressing feeling that this might be it for Runewars.

My personal impression from the FLGS I visit in Scotland is that the game isnt selling and never really has (local impression, personal experience, single data point etc)

Most of the FLGS here have discounted stock and now dropped the game (or never had enough interest to pick it up).

My experience is, off course, limited but I’m certainly not the only one who has mentioned this sort of thing in these forums.

Common Ground in Stirling was the most active for Runewars support but even they have not ordered any of the new releases (sad face).

Our regional in Aug/ Sept got 8 which is decent until you realise that I dragged two other (non-players) there and two came from 250 miles away.

So the active local player base is very limited here (and seemingly elsewhere)

With the best will in the world, that might not be sustainable for FFG (of course the lack of licence is one thing in our favour)

I don’t need to say that I’m hoping I’m 100% wrong.

The game is GREAT and (post Ironman) I’m hoping to do some community building among friends. Even if FFG drop it, it’ll remain my favourite miniature game for a long time.

I also promise not to post any “has FFG dropped this game?” Threads ?

of course this is assumedly just one area I notice some places have larger fan basses for different games than others.... like Warhammer is big in my home state of WA but I live in Daytona beach FL and not a big seller here. My experience with FFG is they stick with their games for the sake of the fans as well sooo probably not an end and I hope im right!

Saw that Legion are getting an objectives box and it got me thinking. . . that wouldn't be too far of a stretch for Rune Wars.

Rune Wars: TMG - Escalation Pack:
Contents:
6 assorted 3D plastic, unpainted objective tokens. These are the same size and shape as the objective tokens but are more like totem poles, Daqan flags/spears, etc. Just something to spice the field up a little.

3D prints of all the currently released terrain pieces but not the cards. Unpainted of course.

12 new deployment cards
12 new objective cards

I would buy that and I think it's quite viable. Even if its just the deployment/objective cards and objective 3d tokens.

Shoot. If it was just 6 new deployments, 6 new objectives, and 2 new terrain pieces it would sell extremely well