Where does Runewars go next?

By Hepitude, in Runewars Miniatures Game

Since the four factions will soon be at parity and we know most of the info on the upcoming units where do you think Runewars will go next? Are they going to keep creating new units for the existing factions or will they branch off and start new factions? Has anyone's opinion changed on where they think the game is going?

Runewars Second Edition!

11 minutes ago, Xelto said:

Runewars Second Edition!

To me it feels like the core set units (+Ankaur/Hawthorne and Wraiths/Scouts) are a first edition, and everything else is from another edition. Different pace and damage output.

It looks to me like parity from the base four factions. Even though we are calling scouts, wraiths, ventayla, and obscene, “specials,”. They are really just variants of their basic unit type that have some interesting special abilities and rules. I’m not sure anything other than scouts and wraiths are really “special” in that sense. The obscene is a siege blocker which the other factions have.

If we take Lord Vorenthall’s card as a hint, I’d say undead siege is their next unit. I’d say that based on how the so called specials are infantry, cav, cav, and siege, thst each faction will eventually get a new unit of each type. Those new unit types will do something outside the basic function of the first types. Thus wraiths are different from Death knights. Obscenes are spined threshers are very different. Scouts and spear men, and leonx and ventayla. All very different.

Daqan: I expect a cav with a very different function from the Oathsworn. The Oathsworn feel like heavy cav, so maybe some kind of light cav with high utility. Maybe a light ranged attack so as not to duplicate ventayla, butmire primary as melee.

Waiqar: I take undead siege as the next. No blight generation, maybe more fear inducing, probably steadfast fear. A bit more straight forward damage.

Latari: infantry and siege left. I’m really unsure which. Either an infantry thst breaks theme heavily but provides utility, or a highly mobile siege that fits them, but has discernible weaknesses and hits a little lighter.

uthuk: infantry and cav. These guys feel very Parthian to me, so something modeled on a Parthian horse archer.

Daqan heroes: Infantry, Infantry/Cav, Infantry/Cav

Waiqar heroes: Infantry, Infantry/Cav, Infantry/Siege

Latari Heroes: Cav, Infantry/Cav, Infantry/Cav

Uthuk Heroes: Siege, Infantry/Cav, Siege/Cav

I see Uthuk and Daqan getting another cav. I see Waiqar getting Siege (only due to. Orunthuk’s currently useless champion). Latari could be Infantry or cav. I think cav.

FDaqan heroes: Infantry, Infantry/Cav, Infantry/Cav

Waiqar heroes: Infantry, Infantry/Cav, Infantry/Siege

Latari Heroes: Cav, Infantry/Cav, Infantry/Cav

Uthuk Heroes: Siege, Infantry/Cav, Siege/Cav

If it is just more generic units: I see Uthuk and Daqan getting another cav. I see Waiqar getting Siege (only due to. Orunthuk’s currently useless champion). Latari could be Infantry or cav. I think cav.

i would prefer more to see a specialize command set for each faction and have them release a 5th faction. The new command sets would be 3 cavalry or siege embedded figures for each faction.

I'd like to see:

Fey kind for Latari

Bone Horrors for Waiqar

Scorpion riders for Uthuk

and

Ironbound for Daqan

There is absolutely room for more units and heroes for each faction, and I expect them to continue to populate the existing factions. However, where we are now (or will be later this year anyway) gives a pretty good amount of list building variety to every faction, so I'd like to see them put out a fifth and sixth over the next couple years.

As for wishlist, as a Daqan player another cav makes sense, but Oathsworn are already fairly heavy, and I'm not sure what light cav wouldn't step on Scouts' toes. Maybe a horse archer, but they may want to keep that design space limited to Latari. Ironbound are neat looking so I'd be all over them.

@Church14 makes a good point with another command set, those are great ways to create tons of new gameplay opportunity with largely existing models. Cavalry command would be... very cool. Yes, I want that.

I want waiqar to finally get a cav unit worth putting maro in.

Latari need pegasus (pegasi?), with all the weird movements with wraiths and scout keyword and other things, a flying unit doesn't seem unreasonable.

I'd also be ok with a new seige for latari.

Daqan are hurting for a new cav ot seige unit.

Uthuk... more facesmash?

I'm suspecting the game to have a few months of quiet after so much release. Hoping to go to a steady 2 units per faction per year sort of scheme.

I also am all for new command packs. It'd be really cool if some factions got siege units for upgrade slots other than siege, like a heraldry seige upgrade figure for latari. Could have two seige figures in infantry units, and still be able to put them in scion units.

I love @Church14 's idea for specialized command units. I'm all for builds that let you use existing units in new and flexible ways (Hawthorne being a perfect example).

I'm a sucker for factions though and would love to see some new ones. One of the things I really like about Runewars is the blend of traditional fantasy with off-the-wall creatures and units like Flesh Rippers or Carrion Lancers. I'd be all over a dwarven faction, but because orks seem to step on the toes of Uthuk thematically so maybe dwarven rivals could be off the beaten path of traditional fantasy.

To fill in specific gaps for each army, those command pack 2.0s could be:

Waiqar: Cavalry Champion. Cavalry Heraldy. Siege champion.

Daqan: Cavalry Champion. Cavalry Banner. Either an infantry banner or musician that synergizes with the wizard upgrades that nobody takes.

Latari: Cavalry Champion, Cavalry Banner, Cavalry Musician

Uthuk: Cavalry Champion, Siege Champion, Siege musician? Actually, an embedded figure unique for Uthuk sieges would be interesting. Providing something new and denying Scuttle and the obscene’s hunger upgrade

Edited by Church14

I would love a full cavalry command pack for Waiqar (Champion, Mage, Musician, and Banner Bearer). Could give both Death Knights and Wraiths some great variety in their builds. Might need to make the musician and banner ones spectral to fit the wraiths theme of going through things though... Would make some sweet looking models... The cav musician could be a banshee. There are a bunch of "banshee wailing" type upgrades you could do with it.

I want to see Waiqar get access to a rallying musician and some rune manipulation.

More likely, I think we'll see new factions soon.

Hmm, one of the podcasts recently touched on hints for future units from Descent and other Terrinoth games, and pointed out that for Daqan it's mostly heroes. Daqan has 3 infantry units with command upgrade slots, so a command pack featuring 4 infantry figure upgrades that are famed adventurers could be neat.

Leoric of the Book: 2 Def 2 Wounds, 13 points, infantry champion
While defending, exhaust Leoric of the Book to remove 1 die icon.
While performing a melee or ranged attack, discard Leoric of the Book to choose one enemy unit at range 1-3 (ignoring line of sight) to be the defender.

Jain Fairwood: 2 Def 2 Wounds, 8 points, infantry champion
While defending, you may receive 1 stun token to gain Protected (2).
After you reveal your command tool, discard Jain Fairwood to resolve your modifier dial before your action dial this activation.

Grisban the Thirsty: 2 Def 4 Wounds, 16 points, infantry champion
Before you reveal your command tool, Grisban may suffer 1 wound to remove 1 bane (limit once per round)
After the command phase, discard Grisban the Thirsty to perform a melee attack.

Tomble Burrowell: 4 Def 1 Wound, 7 points, infantry champion
Other friendly units at range 1-3 gain Protector.
Damage cannot be assigned to Tomble Burrowell if there is another model that it could be assigned to.

For most of these I wanted a way to do a "once per game" effect that would probably be better handled with a condition card, but "discard" is both a more costly mechanic (losing the persistent effect) and easier to type out.

That said, give me and Aggressive or Marching upgrade for Oathsworn (heraldry???) and I am happy forever.

37 minutes ago, Bhelliom said:

Hmm, one of the podcasts recently touched on hints for future units from Descent and other Terrinoth games, and pointed out that for Daqan it's m  ostly heroes. Daqan has 3 infantry units with command upgrade slots, so a command pack featuring 4 infantry figure upgrades that are famed  adventurers could be neat.

Hmm...

42 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Hmm...

Yeah!

3 hours ago, Bhelliom said:

Hmm, one of the podcasts recently touched on hints for future units from Descent and other Terrinoth games, and pointed out that for Daqan it's mostly heroes. Daqan has 3 infantry units with command upgrade slots, so a command pack featuring 4 infantry figure upgrades that are famed adventurers could be neat.

If we go with the original question posted—what do we anticipate FFG doing—and not our wish-lists, I expect we will get a cavalry command pack for each faction first.

Which, come to think of it, I think I would prefer anyway. I think we're overdue for a few cavalry figure upgrades.

49 minutes ago, Xelto said:

If we go with the original question posted—what do we anticipate FFG doing—and not our wish-lists, I expect we will get a cavalry command pack for each factio  n first.

Which, come to think of it, I think I would prefer anyway. I think we're overdue for a few cavalry figure upgrades. 

That's a great suggestion. This is why it is worth reading threads like this: to encounter ideas that are excellent, but which I have not yet thought of.

I predict we will have a long break...and then BAM!

LEGEND UNITS!

Sure, there are lots of other things they could put out, but I think they will move towards something truly eye-catching, rather than more of the same. That means getting that Barrow Wyrm out onto the fields of battle, along with who knows what other awesomeness. Are Roc Warriors big enough to be legend units? Forest Guardians for Latari and Chaos Lords for Uthuk. That's totally my guess. It will come at a time when the community once again posts threads titled such things as "Has FFG abandoned Runewars" and "Is the game 'complete'?".

But we haven't made a 65 page thread for the Barrow wyrm, or a 300 page thread of random predictions, how will FFG know what we truly want? ?

By my logic, we also will have to undergo no news for 8 months...oh wait, that already happened before...Summon the Barrow wyrm!

Ok deep breath!

I’m aware this won’t make me popular but I have a depressing feeling that this might be it for Runewars.

My personal impression from the FLGS I visit in Scotland is that the game isnt selling and never really has (local impression, personal experience, single data point etc)

Most of the FLGS here have discounted stock and now dropped the game (or never had enough interest to pick it up).

My experience is, off course, limited but I’m certainly not the only one who has mentioned this sort of thing in these forums.

Common Ground in Stirling was the most active for Runewars support but even they have not ordered any of the new releases (sad face).

Our regional in Aug/ Sept got 8 which is decent until you realise that I dragged two other (non-players) there and two came from 250 miles away.

So the active local player base is very limited here (and seemingly elsewhere)

With the best will in the world, that might not be sustainable for FFG (of course the lack of licence is one thing in our favour)

I don’t need to say that I’m hoping I’m 100% wrong.

The game is GREAT and (post Ironman) I’m hoping to do some community building among friends. Even if FFG drop it, it’ll remain my favourite miniature game for a long time.

I also promise not to post any “has FFG dropped this game?” Threads ?

Oh and when FFG announce the new Dwarf mercenaries unit for Daqan I’ll happily admit my error and buy 4 boxes ?

I'm pretty confident we'll see Dwarves and Orcs next for Runewars. The reason I say that is that other materials for other games have kind of hinted at such and FFG just announced a large expansion of factions for Xwing and Legion. They seem to be hopping on the "mountains of factions" train.

28 minutes ago, Willange said:

I'm pretty confident we'll see Dwarves and Orcs next for Runewars. The reason I say that is that other materials for other games have kind of hinted at such and FFG just announced a large expansion of factions for Xwing and Legion. They seem to be hopping on the "mountains of factions" train.

This might be a good approach because adding more factions is a bigger eye catcher for non-players than just another unit. If FFG goal is more players/sales (which why would it not be) a new faction is a huge eye catcher. The issue is getting the flgs to order it to their shelfs with such a small player base. Perhaps a few free starter boxes to stores that order a small but still reasonable level of product. Those store can then use them for demoes or sell them themselves. Just random thoughts, lol.

A second two player starter box, relaunching the game without a new edition. We've got the two factions and they're popular fantasy races. Launch individual army expansion boxes for Daqan and Waiqar alongside, let the initial core set go out of print, and you've got an eye catching new SKU that boasts an easy entry point, and for additional faction boxes if the two player box doesn't suit. What better way to relations the game?

Also, the new core set will have full size upgrade cards for us to trade around.