Best list to combat spectre cell

By corwin666, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Anyone having luck against spectre cell? What are the standout deployments?

So far i've seen 2 lists doing great against SC:

Mercenary hungry for VP with Hondo and Sabine and pickpoketing jawas;

Trooper rebels with eRangers, Fenn and CT, The old dog is **** strong attacking 4 Times the same target.

A lot of lists do well. They are good though and tough to take down.

Ezra and Kanan are usually together. Kanan dies easier.

Pierce actually works against them

You will lose some figures and take quite a bit of damage, so you need groups with multiple figures or figures that can take some licks. Dont get too close. If you can string them out they die easier.

Auto damage is good like strain, Grenadier, etc

It's strong, but I definitely don't think it's broken.

I hab two fights against the Specters yesterday ... and both times I was stomped. I mean ... I didn't just lose. I was devastated.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:42 PM, erlucius90 said:

Mercenary hungry for VP with Hondo and Sabine and pickpoketing jawas;

Tried that. I didn't even have a chance.

4 hours ago, DerBaer said:

I hab two fights against the Specters yesterday ... and both times I was stomped. I mean ... I didn't just lose. I was devastated.

Tried that. I didn't even have a chance.

Which maps were you playing?what were you playing? I've had some success with and against it but i think the newness of it has a hand in some of that

I’ve only played a few games with and against spectre, but I think a lot of lists will be good against them. Just need to have a plan

I won a game against them with IG/Pirates. Hunter cards can remove any of their figures when you need to. Ezra has to decide when to use OTL, and you can get him with some stacked modifiers that he didn’t see coming. Played Heightened Reflexes to remove a Block/Evade die, and Assassinate to push 6 more damage through after my opponent decided not to Lam. I also had positioning advantage, but didn’t need it haha.

Lost my first match against specter cell because I made a critical mistake: shot Kanan from range 3. Dying lunge killed my Han, which brought the score 39-38 in my favor... then my C3PO died and I lost... ugh

Then I faced it twice more and it went 40-20 and 40-19 my way....

Nuke down Ezra ASAP, whittle down Zeb and Kanan while looking for an opportunity to finish Sabine - Hera & Chopper kill 'em whenever they poke their noses out.

Going to add: Conditions, especially Stun, will ruin a specter cell player's day.

Stunned Ezra cannot On the Lam, cannot start of round move, cannot move to dying lunge, etc. (:
Jyn's my favorite against him. Plus can't On the Lam against Hair Trigger~

Why do you think He cant OTL against Hair trigger

2 hours ago, GilDK said:

He can, but On the Lam puts the movement points into his movement point pool and cannot be spent until after Hair Trigger.

4 hours ago, GilDK said:

Because its his Activation, thus an Interrupt to "Perform a Move" grants him movement points but no immediate moving out of the way.

SC reeeeaaally hates conditions. I've found success using weaken+evade tokens. Namely, a single heavy hitter (Vader/palp/atdp) with various combinations of thrawn, eRiots, eDTs, and 000.

I have played two more gams against Spectre cell.

Squad 1:
2 eEcho base troopers
2 rSmuggler
Han w fix
Jyn
r2
c3po

Result: Win. The squad is built to try to be sort of a nightmare for the cell (not really succeeding, but best try I could come up with). Jyn hands out stuns, smugglers are slippery, eEBTs are reasonably sturdy and can dish out damage up close and Han does his thing.

I rolled better then average in this game and my opponent made a couple of mistakes. eEBTs held up against the force users trading almost even with help from Han and Jyn and I won the victory condition game. I killed Zeb, Ezra and Kanan losing all my eEBTs, R2 and Jyn after a center mao brawl and shootout.

Squad 2:
2 ePigs
2 eQuays
Temp alliance
2 Alli smugglers
eJawa
C3PO

Result: Win 40-38 with a last turn lucky shot on a running Kanan. This squad is built around the same principle as above. The pigs are there to survive the initial hit from the force users and hands out quite a bit of pain on their own. Quays are ranged threats.

I had pretty low hopes on this one and I will openly admit to lucking out in this game. I think Kanan managed four damage in the game in spite of being in close combat for two full rounds before he trying to run in following one. Again, we had a big brawl in the center of the map. C3PO distracting had a big effect in the game since my poor opponent rolled very few surges. Ezra got the combo of +2 damage + priece 3 off once, Kanan zero times.

All and all, I will state this: The difference in play skill between me and my opponent is so big that these results are less significant. He assumes that his band is “the beatdown” in too many situations, relying on high HP and queen piece power and makes poor decisions. In all our games, my melee style pieces (eEBTs and ePigs) got into action against his force users, keeping them busy, and that was very disadvantageous for him.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:20 PM, Kalandros said:

Because its his Activation, thus an Interrupt to "Perform a Move" grants him movement points but no immediate moving out of the way.

Yeah off course, didnt think that through, well done for a Judge.

Thats an obvious way to counteract OTL

1 hour ago, Ram said:

Squad 2:
2 ePigs
2 eQuays
Temp alliance
2 Alli smugglers
eJawa
C3PO

I guess Shyla may do well, whipping melees out of their position so that they lose the chance to use abilities from friendly figures. I loved to play a list found on this forum and called "Brawler-Hunter combo" which should work well now that we got some more toys for brawlers, ofc it may need some re-tuning:

ePigs, Shyla, eWeequay, Onar, Greedo, Gideon, 3PO, Devious, TA

10 minutes ago, Golan Trevize said:

I guess Shyla may do well, whipping melees out of their position so that they lose the chance to use abilities from friendly figures. I loved to play a list found on this forum and called "Brawler-Hunter combo" which should work well now that we got some more toys for brawlers, ofc it may need some re-tuning:

ePigs, Shyla, eWeequay, Onar, Greedo, Gideon, 3PO, Devious, TA

Brawler hunters are deadly in this meta in my opinion. **** even overcosted Trandoshans are nasty if you play them like they're melee.

My Rebel list managed what should have been a crushing victory 40-4 if my green dice had rolled a single hit to kill 1 hp Sabine but I rolled the surge so he killed two of my guys with sabine's parting gift, celebrated and then killed a 3rd guy with her attack. So I won 40-19 or something.

My "all pierce" (except officers) Empire list managed a swift victory as well, 39-something - singled out Zeb fast even with terrible dice rolls I made it through - then I chipped away at Ezra (Terro rolls 7 damage, no surges (hit token+6 rolled) and Ezra had 3 starting blocks, brace for impact rolled 2 blocks and his white dice rerolled with Kanan for another block.. ) slowly but got him down since he didn't have On the Lam or recovery cards yet (lucky!), once Ezra was down, Kanan and Sabine didn't last much longer while he killed a few of my figurines, then I finished it with Chopper and Hera going down without issue.

Thrawn is a great asset to have against Specter Cell - I saw his Take Initiative card and I did NOT discard it because I figured - yes he can play it in 2 turns, but he has to pick it now which lowers odds for better cards. That is a great thing to do with Thrawn (:

Hmm, seems like players are coming up with great lists to combat SC. Looks like SC might not be so OP as all the naysayers have been saying. I for one am really happy for SC and all the ToL stuff and how it's shaking things up.

41 minutes ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

Hmm, seems like players are coming up with great lists to combat SC. Looks like SC might not be so OP as all the naysayers have been saying. I for one am really happy for SC and all the ToL stuff and how it's shaking things up.

Well, my experience is this: Noone has found a list that really consitenly beats Spectre cell. Lists optimized towards beating the cell gets eaten alive by the old meta decks, especially Vader eJets but also Han lists.

Im not on ”the sky is falling”-side, but I still disagree with your statement.

59 minutes ago, Ram said:

Lists optimized towards beating the cell gets eaten alive by the old meta decks, especially Vader eJets but also Han lists.

That's fair enough. I suppose the problem becomes how to beat it using old meta? Right now it seems like paper, rock, scissors. SC beats old meta, new designed to beat SC lists sometimes beat SC, and Old meta beats new designed to beat SC lists.

Anyway, I'm glad you're not on the "sky is falling" side :) SC might be a wee bit OP but that's part of the fun. It presents a nice challenge to the old guard and helps new entry players compete (without paying too much) and I'm sure something else will be released soon which will be the new OP thing to worry about.

Also, imagine if the Spectre Cell crew had been underpowered? Not much fun in that. A month ago people were saying they were all a bit lacklustre (before they revealed the SC card). Who wants more Dialas and Bivs gathering dust in yer box.

Anyway, it might be a bit OP but the number of posts about how to beat it and how terrible it is get a bit annoying too. At least we got some fun new stuff. let's see what the meta looks like at worlds this year.

Actually havimg a geriatric reunion upgrade for previously released figures would be a quick catch all for several figures.

The Hot/Cold Cell

If you include Biv, Saska, Fenn, Verena MHD you get similar bonuses like spectre cell and your team "counts as 40 pts"

That's actually a fun idea... lump in Loku, Biv, Saska, Diala, Gaarkhan, maybe some others (I actually think MHD and Verena aren't that bad) and have some attachment card for the Hot/Cold Cell (I finally got it, Tatooine and Hoth right?). also it would give you another reason to buy Hoth to go along with Negation.

On 10/6/2018 at 5:07 PM, buckero0 said:

Actually havimg a geriatric reunion upgrade for previously released figures would be a quick catch all for several figures.

The Hot/Cold Cell

If you include Biv, Saska, Fenn, Verena MHD you get similar bonuses like spectre cell and your team "counts as 40 pts"

That's actually a great idea. There's nothing to say you can't do that in casual events. Or you could be like me and my one friend who bring janky figures and take our lumps! Two words...Dengar.

You could have an Imperial equivalent with a little less stringent requirements and more offensive power.

Imperial Rebel Smasher Squad 2pts

Must include Kayn Somos, Agent Blaise and General Sorin and 22pt of other imperial figures. All figures get surge for +2 damage if not already on their surge abilities. Something like that.