Arkham Nights 2018 Dates

By Apedog, in Arkham Nights

The new swag is cool, but it still does not justify the 75% increase in the ticket price from last year (130% from two years ago). They really should have a “mini” Invocation event at Arkham Nights (as it stated on the ticket page originally) and give us that swag as well. I am making the trip from Los Angeles and was very excited to be able to take part in both events on the same weekend with my good friends. Now I have to find a store close to me hosting Invocation, and pay an additional $25.00 (a 65% increase from last year) on top of the $70.00 for Arkham nights. I seem to remember Arkham Nights selling out the last few years, I would love to know how many tickets sold this year before they closed the pre-registration.

1 hour ago, axesofevil said:

The reason I was conflicted about decks was since the new scenario is a part 2 I wasn't sure if we were meant to set up our decks as standalone.

Yeah, I was really hoping to do both Eternal Slumber and Night's Usurper, but that would take up a good chunk of the event. That idea was abandoned because of the amount of time it would take to get through both. Eternal Slumber took us the FULL 4 hours to get through at GenCon. We went a little over the 4 hours. And that was with 4 seasoned players. My group at this event will be 3 seasoned players and one newbie. There will be time spent teaching out the mechanics. It is after all an event to expose gamers to games that they hadn't played before. But then I read this:

The results that players obtain at Arkham Nights 2018 will affect all players of Arkham Horror: The Card Game , adding one of three possible basic weaknesses to a future scenario. Participating investigators will also receive a brand-new extended art promo card!

as there being a new alt art promo card ONLY for those who play the scenario. Am I mistaken here? My group's plan was to really focus on getting some AH:3e demos in, then some of the MoM scenarios. But now, if I am reading this the way that I think they intended it, we are going to have to do the scenario in order to get the art card. And as someone that is obsessive with getting everything... I mean... I have to do it.

I can’t speak with 100% but even at gencon the alt art promos were pack in the scenario that you got. If they run it the same you get the scenario as part of your promo bag when you check in. That’s how it’s been in prior years. Only things like the Card concil cards were passed ou after the fact cause they needed to be designed and printed first.

On 10/5/2018 at 2:41 PM, MGlas1 said:

Yeah, that was me. :) So yeah, here is the link to the FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/FFGamesCenter/

If you scroll down to their posting at October 3rd at 5:27 PM, they announced Invocation at FFGC, which costs $25 for a ticket. I asked for clarification, because it was sounding like Invocation was going to be included in the Arkham Nights event.

Here is the exchange between me and FFGC's Social Network person:

Me: Are you able to let us know if Arkham Nights does indeed also include Invocation? Invocation is listed as one of the events on the description of the Events at Arkham Nights. Do Arkham Nights ticket holders also get the Invocation swag?

Me (again, adding some clarification to why I thought that):
Events will include:
Play with Designer sessions
Arkham Horror: The Card Game Invocation Event
Card Council Design a Card event with Matt and Nate (seats to be raffled)
The cards designed at Arkham Nights will be printed and distributed to all attendees before the end of the show
Previews of Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
Demoes and play throughs of FFG’s Arkham Horror Files line, including:
Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror
Mansions of Madness
Arkham Horror: The Card Game
End of the World: Wrath of the Gods
and more!

FFGC: The Arkham Nights Invocation event and the Invocation 2018 event are different events with different content.

Me: So in order to get the Invocation 2018 swag, we need to purchase another $25 ticket? Just want to clarify.

FFGC : Yes, you would need to attend an Invocation 2018 event to participate in and collect the Invocation 2018 items.

Me: Are you able to work with someone to get that clarified on the website, or at least the ticket page where it says "Includes: Arkham Horror: The Card Game Invocation Event 2018"? There is a lot of confusion. It seems misleading. There are discussions on both the AH:LCG board and the Arkham Nights board on the FFG site discussing this. It was *assumed* that the ticket price for this year's ticket was $30 more because it included Invocation and the swag that went along with it (a $25 value), since it calls out that Invocation 2018 will be part of this event.

FFGC: The Arkham scenario at Arkham Nights is “The Night’s Usurper,” which is different from the scenario that will be included with the actual Invocation kit: “The Eternal Slumber."

Me: So will we get the other items that are included in the Invocation 2018 swag set (the mat and the dividers) along with the scenario, or are we ONLY getting The Night's Usurper event as part of the Arkham Nights Invocation event?

No response from FFGC, as of 10/5 @ 2:41 PM (21 hours after this exchange)

This is very different from what I've been told by people at FFG. I live close (25 minutes) and stop by on a regular basis. I'm gonna really pissed if Invocation isn't part of the Arkham Nights. It's the main reason I decided to go.

40 minutes ago, sabrjay said:

This  is very different from what I've been told by people at FFG. I live close (25 minutes) and stop by on a regular basis. I'm gonna really pissed if Invocation isn't part of  the Arkham Nights. It's the main reason I decided to go.

I think the fact that they have added the Invocation game mat to the Arkham Nights swag is additional proof that the events are not happening at the same time.

12 hours ago, LabanShrewsbury said:

I think the fact that they have added the Invocation game mat to the Arkham Nights swag is additional proof that the events are not happening at the same time.

I just got off the phone with FFG. Invocation IS HAPPENING at Arkham Nights. It is the second part of the event called Eternal Slumber. They will not be including the first scenario, but said that it will be available at retail at a later date for those of us that went Arkham Nights but didn't go to GenCon. So yes, Invocation is happening at Arkham Nights. Just not with the same kit as the in store Invocation events will have.

1 hour ago, sabrjay said:

I  just got off the phone with FFG. Invocation IS HAPPENIN  G at Arkham Night  s     .   

Not trying to start an argument here, but Invocation is NOT happening at Arkham Nights.

Here is the notice for Invocation 2018.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/9/24/no-rest-for-the-wicked/

Now go to this page and click on “Gaming & Events”, and scroll down to 1 December.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/more/fantasy-flight-games-center/

Invocation is a separate event that costs $25.00 to attend, and will be happening AFTER Arkham Nights even though on 4 May, Fantasy Flight said it would happen BEFORE Arkham Nights per the article below.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/4/the-eternal-slumber/

I thought Invocation would be happening at Arkham Nights as well which would make sense being that it actually stated that it was on the list of Events that would be happening at Arkham Nights on the ShowClix website. That is until MGlas1 had his Facebook discussion with the Fantasy Flight Game Center, after which Invocation was removed from the ticket page.

so basically we can blame MGlas1! ;)

Edited by LabanShrewsbury
13 minutes ago, LabanShrewsbury said:

Not trying to start an argument here, but Invocation is NOT happening at Arkham Nights.

If you read what I wrote, Arkham Nights is having a modified version of Invocation.

This is taken directly from the first link you provided:

.....those investigators who will travel to the Fantasy Flight Games Center to tackle The Night's Usurper at Arkham Nights 2018,

So playmat is a yes.

Scenario 2 of the Guardians of the Abyss has been true since they announced it.

Doesn't look like the first scenario that was at Gencon will be there.

What about the dividers? Also why are they packing 2 of the class dividers and not a full set of classes? Seems like an super awkward way to release it.

6 minutes ago, sabrjay said:

If you read what I wrote, Arkham Nights is having a modified version of Invocation.

I am sorry but a "modified" version of Invocation is not a real thing. Invocation is basically an excuse to go to a game shop and play Arkham Horror the Card Game. This year the "main draw" is the ability to play The Eternal Slumber. If you read the article that you quoted you would see that it says " At Gen Con 2018, we’ll be running the unique scenario The Eternal Slumber , a one to four player scenario which can be played as a standalone scenario or integrated into any campaign as a side story ... The scenario will also be made available and sent out to participating retail stores in Invocation Kits this fall, before Arkham Nights 2018. Each copy of The Eternal Slumber —both at Gen Con and in Invocation Kits —will come with an extended art promotional card, which will only be found in The Eternal Slumber ."

So if your definition of a "modified" version of Invocation is people hanging out at the Fantasy Flight Game Center playing Arkham Horror the Card Game, then yes a "modified" version of Invocation is happening at Arkham Nights.

11 minutes ago, LabanShrewsbury said:

I am sorry but a "modified" version of Invocation is not a real thing. Invocation is basically an excuse to go to a game shop and play Arkham Horror the Card Game. This year the "main draw" is the ability to play The Eternal Slumber. If you read the article that you quoted you would see that it says " At Gen Con 2018, we’ll be running the unique scenario The Eternal Slumber , a one to four player scenario which can be played as a standalone scenario or integrated into any campaign as a side story ... The scenario will also be made available and sent out to participating retail stores in Invocation Kits this fall, before Arkham Nights 2018. Each copy of The Eternal Slumber —both at Gen Con and in Invocation Kits —will come with an extended art promotional card, which will only be found in The Eternal Slumber ."

So if your definition of a "modified" version of Invocation is people hanging out at the Fantasy Flight Game Center playing Arkham Horror the Card Game, then yes a "modified" version of Invocation is happening at Arkham Nights.

So basically, you are arguing for arguing's sake. I will take the word of the FFG event rep I talked to on the phone over anything posted on their website. They've even said that their communication on this subject has not been very good. I'll be there Friday and we'll see who has the best info.

42 minutes ago, sabrjay said:

So basically, you are arguing for arguing's sake.

This comment does not make sense, and I am not sure you actually read my post. You are saying that you believe a "modified" version of Invocation is happening at Arkham Nights. I am saying that there is no such thing as a "modified" version of Invocation. People will be playing Arkham Horror the Card Game at Arkham Nights so again, if you want to call that Invocation so be it, but it is not Invocation. Invocation 2018 is centered around the ability to play the Eternal Slumber.

49 minutes ago, sabrjay said:

I will take the word of the FFG event rep I talked to on the phone over anything posted on their website.

You do realize that the Fantasy Flight Game Center is NOT Fantasy Flight, and that the people that work at the Fantasy Flight Game Center are just people that work at a game store. MGlas1 posted his conversation with the person that runs the FFGC FaceBook page, and that person said Invocation was NOT happening at Arkham Nights. When MGlas1 pointed out that the ticket page on ShowClix stated that it was, it was immediately removed. Approximately a week later Fantasy Flight announced that they were giving the Invocation play mat out to people that attend Arkham Nights 2018 (which I am guessing is because they realized the $70.00 ticket price for Arkham Nights was too high). Since the Invocation 2018 play mat is part of the Invocation 2018 swag, if Invocation 2018 was happening at Arkham Nights they would not have to announce that they were giving the Invocation 2018 play mat out to attendees of Arkham Nights.

At this point I am not posting any of this for you, but for anybody that might read this and get their hopes up that Invocation 2018 is happening at Arkham Nights this year. It is not.

Unless of course you are using sabrjay's "modified" definition of Invocation, which is people playing Arkham Horror the Card Game, then it is. But if that is the case, Invocation happens at the Fantasy Flight Game Center on most days.

1 hour ago, sabrjay said:

I'll be there Friday and we'll see who has the best info.

Great, please be sure to update us all as well.

4 hours ago, LabanShrewsbury said:

This comment does not make sense, and I am not sure you actually read my post. You are saying that you believe a "modified" version of Invocation is happening at Arkham Nights. I am saying that there is no such thing as a "modified" version of Invocation. People will be playing Arkham Horror the Card Game at Arkham Nights so again, if you want to call that Invocation so be it, but it is not Invocation. Invocation 2018 is centered around the ability to play the Eternal Slumber.

Did you not read the part of my post about talking with FFG that they will be running Eternal Slumber? We just won't be getting all the swag that is tied to Invocation. We are getting some, not all.

You do realize that the Fantasy Flight Game Center is NOT Fantasy Flight, and that the people that work at the Fantasy Flight Game Center are just people that work at a game store.

Yes I do realize this. I live 25 minutes from it. I was put in touch with the event rep. That is where my info comes from, but apparently, you once again failed to noticed that in my last post I mentioned this. Seriously, if you are going to argue, at least be aware of everything that has been written. It just makes you look bad.

Unless of course you are using sabrjay's "modified" definition of Invocation, which is people playing Arkham Horror the Card Game, then it is. But if that is the case, Invocation happens at the Fantasy Flight Game Center on most days.

This is directly from the latest news release about Arkham Nights:

investigators of Arkham Horror: The Card Game will have the chance to play through The Night’s Usurper , the conclusion of the story that began at Gen Con 2018 with The Eternal Slumber . (To see how the investigation at Gen Con will affect Arkham Nights 2018, you can check out Matt Newman’s debrief here !)

I remembered the scenario incorrectly.

and this:

The results that players obtain at Arkham Nights 2018 will affect all players of Arkham Horror: The Card Game , adding one of three possible basic weaknesses to a future scenario. Participating investigators will also receive a brand-new extended art promo card!

31 minutes ago, sabrjay said:

and this:

I do not see how this relates to Invocation being at Arkham Nights.

I do not have time for a proper response, but for the time being call Fantasy Flight Game Center and ask them if you can register for Invocation 2018, and ask them what the date is and how much it will cost.

They will tell you it is 1 December 2018, and that it will cost $25.00.

21 minutes ago, LabanShrewsbury said:

I do not see how this relates to Invocation being at Arkham Nights.

I do not have time for a proper response, but for the time being call Fantasy Flight Game Center and ask them if you can register for Invocation 2018, and ask them what the date is and how much it will cost.

They will tell you it is 1 December 2018, and that it will cost $25.00.

This post proves my point that you are arguing for the sake of arguing. Right now, all you are arguing is semantics. I told you what the event rep said. We are playing the scenario involved in Invocation without all the trappings. You can call FFG about Arkham and probably get the same guy I did if you ask for the event rep. He will tell you what he told me.

For some reason, this can't get through your thick skull, like most of my other posts. Stop looking for a fight where there is none. Or would it make you feel better if I say that NO, Invocatin is not happening at AN? OK. But it doesn't change the fact that the scenario and some of the swag are happening at AN. As I said, you playing a semantics game to continue fighting.

Here is the way the two decks that make up Guardians of the Abyss were supposed to be released per the article on 4 May 2018, I included in one of my earlier posts.

Gen Con (Aug 2 - 5): The Eternal Slumber

Invocation (undetermined date before Arkham Nights): The Eternal Slumber

Arkham Nights (usually around the second weekend of October): The Night's Usurper

General Release (undetermined future date): Guardians of the Abyss

9 hours ago, sabrjay said:

I just got off the phone with FFG. Invocation IS HAPPENING at Arkham Nights. It is the second part of the event called Eternal Slumber .   They will not be including the first scenario  

The Eternal Slumber is the first scenario. It was released at Gen Con 2018, and will be released at Invocation 2018 (which will be happening at the Fantasy Flight Game Center on 1 December 2018 for anybody that is interested).

57 minutes ago, sabrjay said:

I told you what the event rep said. We are playing the scenario involved in Invocation without all the trappings. 

So which is it? Will they have The Eternal Slumber as you stated, which is the first scenario, or are they not including the first scenario (which is The Eternal Slumber) as you stated?

3 minutes ago, sabrjay said:

You ignore posts I make that contradict your claims

Please show me where this happened and I would be glad to respond to anything you have written that is not a contradiction of something else you wrote.

3 minutes ago, sabrjay said:

I later posted that I had not recalled correctly the scenario that was told to me that would be played.

So you do not know which scenario will be played, yet you insist Invocation 2018 will be happening at Arkham Nights.

Here is a list of the swag you get, and the events planned at Invocation 2018:

- Play The Eternal Slumber scenario

- Receive a copy of The Eternal Slumber which will include extended art cards of Lucky

- Receive an Invocation 2018 game mat

- Receive a stylish set of card dividers

Here are the things on that list that will be happening at Arkham Nights 2018

Look, I was the first person to point out that Invocation was happening at Arkham Nights according to the ticket page at ShowClix. I am also the only one that posted a message discussing my frustration with Fantasy Flight for raising the cost of Arkham Nights such an insane amount (even if Invocation 2018 was included in the ticket price), and then also the only one to really talk about how now that we know Invocation is not happening at Arkham Nights that we are really being taken advantage of (in my opinion). I very much would like for Invocation to happen during Arkham Nights, but unfortunately it is not (unless ticket sales have been so bad that the know they need to do something to make it up to us). I would love to be wrong, and I know my friends would love it as well. I really do wish Invocation was happening, at least then I would not feel like I got ripped off spending $70.00 for a day and a half of gaming. But at this point, all signs lead to Invocation NOT happening this coming weekend.

11 hours ago, sabrjay said:

I later posted that I had not recalled correctly the scenario that was told to me that would be played. I'm done responding to you. You ignore posts I make that contradict your claims and you seem to have this overriding desire to prove me wrong about everything. Grow up little boy. I think I hear your mom calling, saying your hotpocket is ready. Be sure to get in the last word, because that always proves that you are right.

Alright... let's be civil. This isn't Reddit or the comments section of YouTube.

11 hours ago, LabanShrewsbury said:

the things on that list that will be happening at Arkham Nights 2018

Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree with LabanShrewsbury: we aren't really getting Invocation, as Invocation is scenario 1 (Eternal Slumber). The Invocation set that local game stores get is that scenario, and you get the mat and dividers. It isn't really a "modified" Invocation, as the whole purpose of Invocation is that scenario -- just like they called out Arkham Nights as being the place for scenario 2 (Night's Usurper). If a game store decided to keep all of the swag, they really couldn't call it a "modified Invocation". We get an "oops, we shouldn't have said that AN includes Invocation" make-good of a mat and a poster -- not Scenario 1 or the dividers. Disappointing sure, but we'll get through it.

2 hours ago, MGlas1 said:

we aren't really getting Invocation, as Invocation is scenario 1 (Eternal Slumber).

For some reason, he won't let go, beating on this straw man he has created that claims I am still saying a full Invocation event is happening. I haven't since talking with the FFG rep. After that, he sticks with his straw man argument and then starts playing semantics games.

See his response below for more proof of his childishness and semantics games. Apparently he isn't smart enough to understand my last post, that I won't respond to him anymore.

Edited by sabrjay
44 minutes ago, sabrjay said:

For   some reason, he won't let go, beating on this straw man he has cre  ated that claims I am still saying a full Invocation event is  happen  in  g    .    

You do understand that the first thing MGlas1 said is that he agrees with me right? Please show me where I have at any time stated that you have said that a “full Invocation event” is happening. What I am saying is that NO Invocation event is happening. You have said a “modified Invocation” was happening without saying what that meant. You then said they would be running The Eternal Slumber, which is the first scenario of Gairdians of the Abyss. After that you said they were not running the first scenario. You followed that up with this:

16 hours ago, sabrjay said:

This is directly from the latest news release about Arkham Nights:

investigators of Arkham Horror: The Card Game will have the chance to play through The Night’s Usurper , the conclusion of the story that began at Gen Con 2018 with The Eternal Slumber . (To see how the investigation at Gen Con will affect Arkham Nights 2018, you can check out Matt Newman’s debrief here !)

I remembered the scenario incorrectly.

Which clears up nothing. When you say “I remembered the scenario incorrectly” what does that mean? At that point in the conversation you had said we WERE playing the first scenario, and that were WERE NOT playing the first scenario. Simply saying “I remembered the scenario incorrectly” does not clear anything up.

You then posted the following:

16 hours ago, sabrjay said:

and this:

Which again, adds nothing to the conversation.

Instead of accusing me of putting words in your mouth, you should clearly sate what parts of Invocation you think will be happening at Arkham Nights?

Edited by LabanShrewsbury

I’m here at Arkham Nights, and YES, the Invocation scenario is being played here. You also get some of the Invocation swag. You can play the scenario when you want, with as many different groups as you want, over the course of the event.

I am also here at Arkham Nights. The Invocation mat is the only part of the Invocation kit present. The scenario we received is the is The Night’s Usurper. When the invocation kits hit stores, it will contain The Eternal Slumber as well as dividers.

So to repeat, the Invocation kit is officially not here.