Arkham Nights 2018 Dates

By Apedog, in Arkham Nights

On 9/17/2018 at 3:27 PM, MGlas1 said:

Yeah, my gaming group doesn't really have a good name for it either. Here is the chart I used (from the rules reference book):
0-9 experience: 0 additional random basic weaknesses
10-19 experience: 1 additional random basic weakness
20-29 experience: 2 additional random basic weaknesses
30-39 experience: 3 additional random basic weaknesses
40-49 experience: 4 additional random basic weaknesses
A player cannot include 50 or more experience worth of cards in a standalone deck

I'm sitting at 20 xp on a Sefina deck (suboptimal because I'm sharing my collection with my partner who is playing a Wendy). I can't decide if I should dump the 1 xp or go all in for 29 xp.

It definitely seems like there is a LOT to check out this time, but I guess I'm still a little confused about when the Invocation event would take place. Are there scheduled events? Does it last all day? I was under the impression that the only LCG event was going to be the 2nd part of The Guardians of the Abyss (The Night's Usurper). Maybe I'm wrong?

Edited by Soakman
11 hours ago, Soakman said:

I'm sitting at 20 xp on a Sefina deck (suboptimal because I'm sharing my collection with my partner who is playing a Wendy). I can't decide if I should dump the 1 xp or go all in for 29 xp.

It definitely seems like there is a LOT to check out this time, but I guess I'm still a little confused about when the Invocation event would take place. Are there scheduled events? Does it last all day? I was under the impression that the only LCG event was going to be the 2nd part of The Guardians of the Abyss (The Night's Usurper). Maybe I'm wrong?

1) If it were me, I would ditch an xp to not have to take another weakness. :)

2) For the event, it is fairly loose. There are things to sign up for -- like trying out the new games, such as Arkham 3rd Edition -- but there are a lot of tables for free play. The card game doesn't really need someone to run it, or teach out new rules. I believe the plan for my group is to play through the two Guardians scenarios and then move on to Forgotten Age -- which we have held off on playing until Arkham Nights. We did Invocation at FFGC when they had it last time, and it was also very loose: they gave you the swag and then there were tables reserved for playing. Nothing formal. I think a lot of people grabbed the swag and just left. It is easy to fit in with Arkham Nights. The only real bummer part is for the people that are going to Arkham Nights that don't play the card game. Seems like a good chunk of the cost this year is devoted to swag for the card game.

That sounds fun. We love the card game, but I was under the impression only the 2nd Guardians scenario would be available to play. We're coming in from out of state so will be traveling light.

Forbidden Age is great, but is pretty tough. There are some real twists as you get closer to the end of the cycle to look forward to.

1 hour ago, Soakman said:

I was under the impression only the 2nd Guardians scenario would be available to play

Be sure to read the article at the link that MGlas1 and I posted (and I have again below), it has a lot of helpful information. If we are correct about them bundling the two events together we should be receiving two decks.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/4/the-eternal-slumber/

2 hours ago, Soakman said:

We're coming in from out of state

where are you coming from? It is always interesting to see how far people travel to go to Arkham Nights

2 hours ago, MGlas1 said:

I believe the plan for my group is to play through the two Guardians scenarios and then move on to Forgotten Age -- which we have held off on playing until Arkham Nights. 

I was going to suggest maybe meeting up to play together, but my group has the opposite planned. We are hoping to play Arkham Horror Third Edition, maybe one (or two) of the new Mansions of Madness scenarios, and maybe the Card Council. Once Arkham Nights/Invocation is done we will dive into the Arkham Horror Card Game.

3 hours ago, LabanShrewsbury said:

Be sure to read the article at the link that MGlas1 and I posted (and I have again below), it has a lot of helpful information. If we are correct about them bundling the two events together we should be receiving two decks.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/4/the-eternal-slumber/

where are you coming from? It is always interesting to see how far people travel to go to Arkham Nights

Thanks! I'll have to reread it. It's all a bit nebulous to me, being a newbie to events. The player base around my area is extremely small for anything other than Magic: The Gathering and other competitive games.

We'll be coming from Pennsylvania (about an hour and a half drive north of Pittsburgh). I think we might drive and fly out of Cleveland though because the tickets are a lot cheaper than from Pittsburgh.

This year:

arkham-nights_2018_prizes.png

Last year:

arkhamnights_2017_prizes_updated.png

Not pictured from last year: Purple Cthulhu dice, selection of AO for Elder Sign, 2 AH:LCG cards that were created on Friday by 24 people who won the raffle. They're doing that last bit again this year.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, MGlas1 said:

...The only real bummer part is for the people that are going to Arkham Nights that don't play the card game. Seems like a good chunk of the cost this year is devoted to swag for the card game.

About the same.

Drats! Was hoping the extra 3rd edition character was gonna be Sefina. :B

So if we are only getting the second half of the story for Arkham Nights, will we be able to buy just the first half. Otherwise it seems it is just a waste. Or are we getting both halves. Can we please get an official answer please?

It is very safe to assume that the decks will not be sold individually.

Invocation 2018 will happen eventually (if it is not happening at Arkham Nights). Unfortunately history has proven that Fantasy Flight has a very hard time scheduling... pretty much everything, and an even harder time adhering to the schedules they create. I really wish they would learn the value of communication. They are part of one of the largest game companies in the world, but act like they are run out of someone’s garage. But I digress.

Invocation is second on the list of events in the description of this year's Arkham Nights on the Showclix website (which I have pasted below), so I would not be too worried. At this point assume the two events are happening at the same time, and that the only reason there has not been an official announcement is because of Fantasy Flight’s inability to communicate with their customers, or the fact that they just do not care about them.

Events will include:

• Play with Designer sessions
  • Arkham Horror: The Card Game Invocation Event
  • Card Council Design a Card event with Matt and Nate (seats to be raffled)
    • The cards designed at Arkham Nights will be printed and distributed to all attendees before the end of the show
  • Previews of Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
  • Demoes and play throughs of FFG’s Arkham Horror Files line, including:
    • Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror
    • Mansions of Madness
    • Arkham Horror: The Card Game
    • End of the World: Wrath of the Gods
    • and more!

So making the assumption that we do indeed get the Invocation swag with out Arkham Nights ticket, we would also be getting a playmat, the first scenario in the Guardians of the Abyss pack, and player card dividers. Not a bad haul! I think that would explain the majority of the $30 price increase over last year's ticket price.

20 hours ago, MGlas1 said:

So making the assumption that we do indeed get the Invocation swag with out Arkham Nights ticket, we would also be getting a playmat, the first scenario in the Guardians of the Abyss pack, and player card dividers. Not a bad haul! I think that would explain the majority of the $30 price increase over last year's ticket price.

I'm hopeful this is the case. It'd be nice to have both scenarios as I wasn't able to go to gencon.

Event prices go up with popularity; sad fact you don't generally get grandfathered in from when prices were lower. I haven't seen any indication the GenCon swag is also gonna be given out at Arkham Nights. I'm assuming Invocation 2018 will be the only other place to get The Eternal Slumber until they are released.

6 hours ago, Wes_Huffor said:

I haven't    seen any indication the GenCon swag is also gonna be given out at Ar  kham Ni  gh  ts   . 

Here is a list of events at Arkham Nights 2018 from the Showclix website. The second item on the list would seem to imply that the FFGC’s Invocation 2018 event will be happening at Arkham Nights this year.

Events will include:

• Play with Designer sessions
  • Arkham Horror: The Card Game Invocation Event
  • Card Council Design a Card event with Matt and Nate (seats to be raffled)
    • The cards designed at Arkham Nights will be printed and distributed to all attendees before the end of the show
  • Previews of Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
  • Demoes and play throughs of FFG’s Arkham Horror Files line, including:
    • Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror
    • Mansions of Madness
    • Arkham Horror: The Card Game
    • End of the World: Wrath of the Gods
    • and more!
On 9/28/2018 at 8:04 AM, LabanShrewsbury said:

Here is a list of events at Arkham Nights 2018 from the Showclix website. The second item on the list would seem to imply that the FFGC’s Invocation 2018 event will be happening at Arkham Nights this year.

ooh, good call. I stand corrected.

Seems weird they wouldn't be advertising that in the swag promotions.

So this will be the first time I make it to the Arkham Nights event. Do they end up creating a schedule of events for the two days, or is it more free form and resembles a shoggoth?

18 hours ago, BasilEsk said:

So this will be the first time I make it to the Arkham Nights event. Do they end up creating a schedule of events for the two days, or is it more free form and resembles a shoggoth?

There is usually a schedule of events. This is normally things like the RPGs and play with the designer sessions. Last year they scheduled the LoL times since the epic multiplayer version is timed I don’t know if this year they will do the same with the scenario. Other unique events will be scheduled like the 16 player Eldritch Horror and maybe the Arkham Horror Board game 16 player version. The rest of the weekend is open play and demos.

I mentioned this in another thread on this forum but it looks like the last time people were posting in it was last year and I wanted to cover my bases. This will be my first time coming to the event and I'm attending mostly for the LCG. I'm hoping to play the invocation event and the new scenario, if possible, but I'm unsure how many/what kind of decks I should put together. I could bring my collection but that's quite a pile to haul and I assume it'll be a busy weekend. Anyone have any recommendations or tips?

40 minutes ago, axesofevil said:

I'm hoping to play the invocation event and the new scenario, if possible, but I'm unsure how many/what kind of decks I should put together  .

It sounds like MGlas1 has played The Eternal Slumber so hopefully he (or she) will check in soon, and will be able to give you some advice.

Here is some information about how to build a deck for the standalone scenarios that he (or she) posted earlier in this thread.

0-9 experience: 0 additional random basic weaknesses
10-19 experience: 1 additional random basic weakness
20-29 experience: 2 additional random basic weaknesses
30-39 experience: 3 additional random basic weaknesses
40-49 experience: 4 additional random basic weaknesses
A player cannot include 50 or more experience worth of cards in a standalone deck 

I saw part of a Facebook conversation between FFGC and someone that I think posts here, and it looks as if Invocation is NOT happening at Arkham Nights this year. It has been removed from the ticket page.

Here is an excerpt from an article on the FFG website from 4 May...

... At Gen Con 2018, we’ll be running the unique scenario The Eternal Slumber ... The scenario will also be made available and sent out to participating retail stores in Invocation Kits this fall, before Arkham Nights 2018 ...

So not only are they not able to meet their self imposed schedule, but for some reason they are also not able to communicate to their customers that they are not able to meet it. Instead five months later they announce Invocation is happening a month and a half AFTER Arkham Nights without mentioning the reason for the delay.

Couple that with a 75% increase in the cost of tickets for Arkham Nights, an event where they will be giving away the second of a two part deck, the first of which will be given away at an event a month and a half later, and it makes me wonder how anybody can think this company cares about its customers. The ticket page clearly said that the Invocation event would be happening at Arkham Nights this year (does anyone have a screenshot of it?), which makes sense considering the price increase, and the inability to schedule Invocation separately before Arkham Nights.

Like everyone else, I love the games, and I want the loot, but this is just disgusting. I cannot be the only person that feels this way. Seriously people, if you are angry about this you have to say something about it. No hiding in the shadows reading posts, you need to post yourself! There are obviously bigger issues in the world today, but when the people that are supposed to be giving you enjoyment in this world are constantly screwing you over, it is pretty sad.

One more thing! I do not have a Facebook account but please go support people there that are questioning this as well!

Edited by LabanShrewsbury
1 hour ago, LabanShrewsbury said:

I saw part of a Facebook conversation between FFGC and someone that I think posts here, and it looks as if Invocation is NOT happening at Arkham Nights this year. It has been removed from the ticket page. 

Yeah, that was me. :) So yeah, here is the link to the FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/FFGamesCenter/

If you scroll down to their posting at October 3rd at 5:27 PM, they announced Invocation at FFGC, which costs $25 for a ticket. I asked for clarification, because it was sounding like Invocation was going to be included in the Arkham Nights event.

Here is the exchange between me and FFGC's Social Network person:

Me: Are you able to let us know if Arkham Nights does indeed also include Invocation? Invocation is listed as one of the events on the description of the Events at Arkham Nights. Do Arkham Nights ticket holders also get the Invocation swag?

Me (again, adding some clarification to why I thought that):
Events will include:
Play with Designer sessions
Arkham Horror: The Card Game Invocation Event
Card Council Design a Card event with Matt and Nate (seats to be raffled)
The cards designed at Arkham Nights will be printed and distributed to all attendees before the end of the show
Previews of Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
Demoes and play throughs of FFG’s Arkham Horror Files line, including:
Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror
Mansions of Madness
Arkham Horror: The Card Game
End of the World: Wrath of the Gods
and more!

FFGC: The Arkham Nights Invocation event and the Invocation 2018 event are different events with different content.

Me: So in order to get the Invocation 2018 swag, we need to purchase another $25 ticket? Just want to clarify.

FFGC : Yes, you would need to attend an Invocation 2018 event to participate in and collect the Invocation 2018 items.

Me: Are you able to work with someone to get that clarified on the website, or at least the ticket page where it says "Includes: Arkham Horror: The Card Game Invocation Event 2018"? There is a lot of confusion. It seems misleading. There are discussions on both the AH:LCG board and the Arkham Nights board on the FFG site discussing this. It was *assumed* that the ticket price for this year's ticket was $30 more because it included Invocation and the swag that went along with it (a $25 value), since it calls out that Invocation 2018 will be part of this event.

FFGC: The Arkham scenario at Arkham Nights is “The Night’s Usurper,” which is different from the scenario that will be included with the actual Invocation kit: “The Eternal Slumber."

Me: So will we get the other items that are included in the Invocation 2018 swag set (the mat and the dividers) along with the scenario, or are we ONLY getting The Night's Usurper event as part of the Arkham Nights Invocation event?

No response from FFGC, as of 10/5 @ 2:41 PM (21 hours after this exchange)

I am personally struggling with understanding why they increased the price from $40 last year to $70 this year, if the swag received is almost the same. It really is a shame -- the Invocation stuff would have explained it to me. Hard to justify the $70 now, but I will still go and I will still have fun. Just feels like a punch to the gut (or wallet).

arkham-nights_2018_prizes_v2.png

Swag update. Now including:

Investigators familiar with The Investigators of Arkham Horror may recognize the promotional poster for the haunting play The King in Yellow , director Nigel Engram’s greatest triumph. Investigator Lola Hayes is set to star as the regal and tragic Cassilda, but as the production seems cursed by tragedy and misfortune, it remains to be seen whether the play will ever reach the stage for its one-night engagement.

Then, in the spirit of The Night’s Usurper , the playmat included in your collection of arcane implements features gorgeous artwork reminiscent of the mysteries in Cairo. The 24” x 14” mat provides a high-quality, slip-resistant rubber base to display your cards in style, whether you're participating in a tense Invocation Event or summoning eldritch monstrosities from the comfort of your own home.

I do appreciate the new swag. It's weird as **** they'd give us the invocation playmat and not actually run the scenario but whatever, I'm just excited to get to play the game with some other players and this pile of stuff looks great. The reason I was conflicted about decks was since the new scenario is a part 2 I wasn't sure if we were meant to set up our decks as standalone.

Really looking forward to next weekend. Maybe I'll even step outside of the TCG and manage to try out AH 3rd Edition, too.

Edited by axesofevil
Clarity