The Nubian design collective's whole vehicle crafting handbook

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

59 minutes ago, Gordian Naught said:

@EliasWindrider @salamar_dree

I have added the vehicle weapons to the weapons table tab in the spreadsheet. It is as complete as I can make it, I am working on getting access to the Starships and Speeders book to finish it up.

I have added all weapons from all the books including ones that are only in stat blocks.

Red text is for things that were from stat blocks that don't have official listed prices, that I could find. I used @LMasterList gear spreadsheet for starters, so shout-out to his gear list here. "L's" Complete Item Master List (v9.5)

Here are some things that I think need at least a cursory look into stating out further, they're things that I ran into while compiling.

1. Variable Geometry from sidebar on the Hyena droid bombers in Collapse of the Republic - Allows it to switch from Flying to Walking. Macross Anyone!
  2. Flex Ordnance Launchers from the same book first mentioned on the Droid gunship. Smaller, more specialized version of the mothership docking system.
  3. Pressurized cockpit for air speeders that can enter space - comes from sidebar in forged in battle p. 61
  4. Limited Ammo quality needs a unifying limit based off something. What that something is, is beyond me right now. It seems to be arbitrarily linked to the specific circumstance used.

Anything that anyone else has noticed?

Thanks a lot... the least squares fit may be able to determine pricing (but not Rarity) for the red letter. Items

15 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Thanks a lot... the least squares fit may be able to determine pricing (but not Rarity) for the red letter. Items

I don't know how the least squares thing works, but if I moved the rarity to its own column would that work?

1 hour ago, Gordian Naught said:

I don't know how the least squares thing works, but if I moved the rarity to its own column would that work?

No. Least squares is method of curve fitting that finds the coefficients of basis functions, frequently polynomials, of known variables that minimizes the sum of squared errors between the data points and the curve. For example drawling a line that best fits a cloud of points).

The "y" values of the points are the price of vehicles, measured in credits so all of the coefficients (costs of the components/crafting upgrades etc) will be in units of credits not rarity.

@Gordian Naught

For the weapons that only appear in stat blocks, just use the vehicle's Rarity. If the weapon appears on multiple vehicles, use the lowest vehicle Rarity.

😁

@Gordian Naught could you put rarity in it's own column? Then we could eliminate the weapon cost columns from the master table (I could look up costs from the weapons table, as long as the column name on the master table identically matches.

Also the repetitive stress injury in my right wrist is acting up so it could be a while before I update the pdf again.

1 hour ago, EliasWindrider said:

Also the repetitive stress injury in my right wrist is acting up so it could be a while before I update the pdf again.

Oh no!

Take care of that and don't worry!

7 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

@Gordian Naught could you put rarity in it's own column? Then we could eliminate the weapon cost columns from the master table (I could look up costs from the weapons table, as long as the column name on the master table identically matches.

Ok, I moved the rarity and the restriction to columns of their own and filled out the fields using the method suggested by @salamar_dree , some of them I tweaked a little to fit with their more common variants.

Don't know what you mean by the name being "identical" to the master table. I just pulled the names, and name format, strait out of the books. Should be the same, except for the addition of the new weapons to the list.

@EliasWindrider Take care of yourself, and we'll keep filling in the table.

The Ubrikkian TRL-03 Skyclaw is pretty close (1030 Enc vs 1000 Raw), except for Altitude: the Skyclaw only has a 1000 meter max Altitude RAW.

The default Air Speeder max is 100 km.

It has to be an Air Speeder, as it's Sil 5 (3Γ—Larger Scope).

Maybe a defect that reduces Altitude?

Or maybe nothing special. I feel one could always reduce things like altitude.

I did a bunch of manipulation to get the Passengers to exactly 2. It worked, but it seems that you could just say, "It's got less passenger space".

Just mentioning it. I'm not sure if any changes are necessary.

Cheers!

The HA-5 Aerial Retreat has a max altitude of 10 km.

Other than an Enc of 250 RAW, it has a 260 Enc.

Everything else lines up (I did switch the wait staff from crew to passengers, as they aren't "essential" to the retreat's operation, and are listed as "up to").

Edit:

Now that I think of it, 2 new defects for the Frame table might work:

1 Threat: Low Ceiling (Air Speeder only: The vehicle's Max Altitude is reduced to 10 km)

3 Threat: Very Low Ceiling (Air Speeder only: The vehicle's Max Altitude is reduced to 1 km)

Edited by salamar_dree
9 hours ago, salamar_dree said:

The HA-5 Aerial Retreat has a max altitude of 10 km.

Other than an Enc of 250 RAW, it has a 260 Enc.

Everything else lines up (I did switch the wait staff from crew to passengers, as they aren't "essential" to the retreat's operation, and are listed as "up to").

Edit:

Now that I think of it, 2 new defects for the Frame table might work:

1 Threat: Low Ceiling (Air Speeder only: The vehicle's Max Altitude is reduced to 10 km)

3 Threat: Very Low Ceiling (Air Speeder only: The vehicle's Max Altitude is reduced to 1 km)

I think I was able to futz with crew and passengers to get it right plus or minus 2 a while back

I got the crew and passengers right with minor fiddling.

However, I intentionally included the wait staff as passengers, as they aren't required. In truth, they are passengers... just ones that wait on the other passengers.

πŸ˜‰

Cheers!

@Gordian Naught

About the weapons:

I believe that he means that each statted weapon needs to have it's name listed like in the first Master page. For instance, I used a lot of abbreviations.

Also, he needs all the newly statted weapons on the weapons page to be on the Master page.

I know it can be tedious. Sorry!

(I'm still working on the Airspeeders...)

Ok, I'll rework things so they're more inline with each other when I get a chance.

Finished reworking things, let me know if anything needs a change.

11 hours ago, Gordian Naught said:

Finished reworking things, let me know if anything needs a change.

It looks great!

I concur!

Added the Heavy Repeating Blaster and the Air-to-Air Rockets to both the Master List and the Weapons list.

Both are needed for the LAAT/i.

Thanks again @Gordian Naught ! Amazing job.

@EliasWindrider , just the PTB-625 Heavy Bomber to finish the Air Speeders!

17 hours ago, salamar_dree said:

Added the Heavy Repeating Blaster and the Air-to-Air Rockets to both the Master List and the Weapons list.

Both are needed for the LAAT/i.

Thanks again @Gordian Naught ! Amazing job.

@EliasWindrider , just the PTB-625 Heavy Bomber to finish the Air Speeders!

Thanks for that, completely missed those on the LAAT/i. It is printed in too many places, in my opinion.

If either of y'all have the starships and speeders book, could you look through it and copy any weapons that are unique to that book in the weapon and master tables? I am having a **** of a time trying to get a good enough scan from a friend.

@EliasWindrider

Finished the Airspeeders!

Suggestions:

1) I believe that you were considering tweaking the Ion Turbine Engine to provide Def 0, but add an additional +1 Def in 1 Zone mod.

2) Add a note about Passengers in the "Frame Template Profiles" section to the effect of:

"The Passenger Capacity entries list a maximum, unmodified capacity based on the Frame type at it's default Silhouette. This can be modified by various effects throughout the design process. However, the designer may always opt to assign a lower Passenger Capacity to a vehicle."

This will simplify many vehicles!

Lowering Passenger Capacity isn't beneficial by nature, so spending Advantage on it seems silly.

Cheers!

I have one question regarding the cargo pods and hulls that increase the size by which you gage encumbrance from?

This came up while I was building the AT-HCT walker, I used the cargo pod to increase encumbrance by 30 instead of by 10, it save 3 advantage but you fall short overall by 10. Standard says that you use a cargo bay one size smaller, but the passenger barge hull (and others) says to use one size larger for cargo bays. Just looking for clarification on this.

On a side note. I think the Line under Walker frames talking about the all terrain legs attachment should be removed. The attachment is meant to be applied to vehicles that have other means of locomotion. So the statement talking about a reduction of their max speed is rendered irrelevant, as their speed is not a factor of a different form of locomotion. Maybe moving it to the race ship hull special section or as a side note (grey box text) on custom vehicles with the attachment and the race ship hull together.

Which strangely brings up something that I brought up earlier in the posts from months back, the addition of other types of engines, power cells and fusion reactors. I do remember @EliasWindrider you mentioning something along those lines too for walkers, from some time after I posted them. Maybe now or after the Holidays we can discuss these as additions to the rules in more detail.

Answer regarding cargo pods and passenger barge hull: Sil+1-1=Sil, so the same as a cargo bay for a vehicle without the passenger barge (or bulk freighter) hull.

Walkers get speed 2 base, except with the noted modifications.

I do need to do engines without shields... consider the ion turbine to not have shield, but to have an additional mod that increases shields in 1 arc by one.

Apology for a long post to start.

20 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Answer regarding cargo pods and passenger barge hull: Sil+1-1=Sil, so the same as a cargo bay for a vehicle without the passenger barge (or bulk freighter) hull.

Walkers get speed 2 base, except with the noted modifications.

I do need to do engines without shields... consider the ion turbine to not have shield, but to have an additional mod that increases shields in 1 arc by one.

Thanks for the answer, that was the way I did it, so I don't have to rework at least. Thanks. @EliasWindrider

Where does it say walkers get a base speed of 2? The All-Terrain Legs attachment from Special Modifications says, quoting from the main text,

"Although ion drives and repulsorlifts dominate the galaxy, the continued use of walkers by the Empire and certain planetary militias is testament to the advantages of such craft. Walkers are stable, implacable, and usually intimidating. For those who want true versatility from their craft, speeders and even starships can be modified with the addition of a number , depending on the size and shape of the vehicle, of sturdy mechanical legs . In some cases, these might be mistaken for simple landing gear - until the vehicle begins to stomp forward. This attachment can be applied to any air speeder or starship that can land on a planet ."

(I never understood why they put the restrictions for attachments in the main text, instead of on their own line or just bolded , so you could actually find it. Personal gripe over 😌 .)

And from the Base modifier text,

"Base Modifiers: As a maneuver, the pilot may shift the vehicle into or out of walker mode. While in walker mode, the vehicle operates as a walker (and thus uses the Piloting [Planetary] skill if it did not already), and the vehicle's maximum speed is reduced to 2 if it was higher . Walker mode can only be employed in appropriate terrain, as determined by the GM."

I'm not trying to argue with you over this, just some reasoning and an answer. I can kind of see where you are getting the idea that they could have a base speed of 2, but nowhere have I found anything that says that walkers have a base speed 2, not in Special Modifications, Fully Operational or The Nubian Handbook.

This is why I think the special note on walker legs, about the attachment and the base speed is not necessary. Walker speed is still based off of the chosen engine, or in these cases powerplants chosen during construction.

I do think there needs to be a special note on the All-Terrain Legs attachment (If we add attachments to the handbook. I think we should add all of them to the Handbook πŸ˜… . I could do it if I had a more updated PowerPoint.), or on the Race Ship Hull component, that regards the increases to the reduction to max speed that the attachments and components combined makes on a vehicle. Tell me if that makes sense.

As to the new engines, I found my original post back on August 18th of 18', The Nubian design collective's whole vehicle crafting handbook . (Page 13, past the mid point, if the link doesn't work like I hope.)

I have modified them a little since then and added a third engine. I use these when I homebrew walkers and small speeders, nowadays.

• Power Cells

Power cells are used in application that have size or weight limitations, only down side to cells is that they need to be replaced or recharged. This component can only installed into walker and wheeled landspeeder frames of silhouette 3 or less.

Material Price/Rarity : 250/1

Check : Easy Mechanics check

Time : 12 hours

Base Modifiers : Installing this core component changes a crafts speed to 2, defense to 0/0/0/0 , and system strain threshold to 3 x silhouette.

Special: On any Piloting (Planetary) check the GM may spend 5 threat or 2 despair to have the vehicle loose all power and becomes motionless.

Modification Options : 2 increase speed by one (to a maximum of 5) Mods. 3 increase system strain threshold by silhouette Mods.

Hard Points Required : 1

• Fusion Core

Most common power generator throughout the galaxy, can be found in anything from a cooking unit to a AT-AT. This component can only installed into walker and wheeled landspeeder frames.

Material Price/Rarity : 1,500/2

Check : Average Mechanics check

Time : 1.5 days (36 hours)

Base Modifiers : Installing this core component changes a crafts speed to 1, defense to 0/0/0/0, and system strain threshold to 4 x silhouette.

Special: In the event of a Major System Failure Critical Hit to the Fusion Core (engine component) it causes an explosion dealing 3 Hull Trauma to the vehicle and 20 Wounds to any vehicle occupants.

Modification Options : 1 increase speed by one (to a maximum of 4) Mod. 5 increase system strain threshold by silhouette Mods.

Hard Points Required : 2

Here is the new one that I made since the original post.

• Single Repulsor Coil

The most basic of drive systems for planetary Craft. This component can only installed into speeder (Air, Bike, or non-wheel/tracked Land) frames of Silhouette 3 and under.

Material Price/Rarity : 300/1

Check : Easy Mechanics check

Time : 18 hours

Base Modifiers : Installing this core component changes a crafts speed to 1, defense to 0/0/0/0, and system strain threshold to 2 x silhouette.

Modification Options : 3 increase speed by one (to a maximum of 5) Mod. 3 increase system strain threshold by silhouette Mods.

Hard Points Required : 1

Reasoning was that ground craft have decent System strain with low base speeds.

That's all I have for things fully stated out, feel free to edit and delete as need to make them work. I wouldn't even make it to where they have any mods to give defense in any way, just add a basic shield generator as an attachment option, would be how I did it. We need a basic shield generator anyway for aftermarket addition to ships and speeders because there isn't any, just ways to add to defense technically.

Edited by Gordian Naught
Clarification

@EliasWindrider

@Gordian Naught

FFG is shutting down these forums February.

We need to decide if we want a Discord server or something.

Or hope that Edge Studios have a forum set up by then...

Edited by salamar_dree

@EliasWindrider

Hope that you're okay!