Agis' Star Wars Legion minis (2)

By Agis, in Painting

Have you got any clone commanders or bounty hunters from mel?

Yup, but still not started...

Got some PM Q these days that might be of genetal interest.

Q: I have a little question how you prepare your minis from skull forge for painting. I bought my first one(in smotthest fine details plastic) and one side of the mini is clean and smooth, and the other side is white and has a rough texture.I already tryed to remove it with warm water and soap and some cleaning alcohol. When the mini is wet it looks like its gone but when it is dry again it is still there. Did you have some tipps these spots ?

A: I’m afraid I’m not going to be of much help , The same thing happened to me. I contacted Shapeways and They said that’s normal. You may get a refund if it is too bad; just ask! After that it boils down to scratching and filing …

Q: When you ordered from them in the past where there minis that where 100 % clean and without the white rough textu re ?

A: all recently received received minis had the same problem, one side smooth, the other one rough!

Edited by Agis

And even in past orders, it was never smooth and clean all around.

Could you do a tutorial or picture series of your prepping process for these? It appears your results are much smoother than most other Shapeways minis on the web.

2 hours ago, aniron said:

Could you do a tutorial or picture series of your prepping process for these? It appears your results are much smoother than most other Shapeways minis on the web.

I am afraid no (too many pics, too much time...) i can however repost the description from p.3:

Only choose the most expensive material - smoothest fine detail.

Rub every spot that got printlines with a softmetal brush and mineral oil. It gets a bit smoother.

Clean the mini for 15 - 30 Mins in Isopropanol with an Ultarsonic cleaner. Rinse in very warm water and brush again with an old soft toothbrush.

Prime with Tamiya Fine Surface primer.

And finally get painting….

Amazing paint jobs and conversions. ?

8 hours ago, Agis said:

I am afraid no (too many pics, too much time...) i can however repost the description from p.3:

Only choose the most expensive material - smoothest fine detail.

Rub every spot that got printlines with a softmetal brush and mineral oil. It gets a bit smoother.

Clean the mini for 15 - 30 Mins in Isopropanol with an Ultarsonic cleaner. Rinse in very warm water and brush again with an old soft toothbrush.

Prime with Tamiya Fine Surface primer.

And finally get painting….

Thanks!

When you wrote a few pages back that you use the brass brush *from* a Dremel - does that mean you use it *with* the Dremel or by hand?

Do you paint, spray or airbrush the Tamiya primer?

I use a brass brush from a dremel by hand!

The Tamiya prime is sprayed right out the can, no airbrush.

@Agis

Fantastic painting on everything, thank you for sharing!! Can I please ask what paint colour(s) you used for the armour on your mud/grunge troopers?

Well the armour is just Andrea AC-1 German Field Grey. then a brownish wash and after that AC-1 again with more and more white mixed in.

Amazing work! I love the colors you achieved on Jyn Erso. What paint(s) did you use?

SWL_Empire_Squad_2.jpg

I finally finished my 1st full 7 Trooper squad...

And not one game played… :(

Another mini from SOLO - the Mimbanese Resistance.
The Mimbanese were one of several sentient species native to the planet Mimban. The Mimbanese had the unsettling ability to disappear in the mud and murk of their homeworld.
During the Clone Wars, the Mimbanese allied themselves with the Grand Army of the Galactic Republic. Under the leadership of tribal leader Iasento, the Mimbanese organized a Liberation Army. Junior Representative Jar Jar Binks was sent to help the 224th and 501st interface with the Mimbanese. With aid from the Mud Jumpers of the Grand Army's 224th division, the Mimbanese fought the Confederacy of Independent Systems. They were successful in repelling the Separatists from Mimban.
Following the Republic's transformation into the Galactic Empire, the Mimbanese fought the 224th's Swamp troopers.

Mimban_Leader.jpg
The above mini is Iasento, he was a male Mimbanese who served as a member of the Mimbanese Liberation Army during the reign of the Galactic Empire. Prior to the Clone Wars, Iasento was the leader of a Mimbanese tribe in the Nanth flatlands. When Mimban came to the attention of the Separatists during the war, the Galactic Republic's 224th Division, the Mud Jumpers, armed and trained Iasento and his men.

Another incredible good mini from Skull Forge Studios! Printed by SFS directly, way better than Shapeways!!!

And as always more on my site: http://www.adpublishing.de/html/legion.html

SWL_Vader_1.jpg
The alternate Vader mini from Skullforge - "King of Ashes".
IMO a a better miniature that the FFG one.
The sculpt represent a younger Vader, maybe some months after Ep. III, not fully suited to his new cyborg legs and arms and still as overconfident as Anakin.

SWL_Vader_1scenic.jpg
Groupshot with Skullforge Vader and FFG Storm Troopers.

and as always, more on my site: http://www.adpublishing.de/html/legion.html

On 9/7/2019 at 10:22 AM, Agis said:

Another mini from SOLO - the Mimbanese Resistance.
The Mimbanese were one of several sentient species native to the planet Mimban. The Mimbanese had the unsettling ability to disappear in the mud and murk of their homeworld.
During the Clone Wars, the Mimbanese allied themselves with the Grand Army of the Galactic Republic. Under the leadership of tribal leader Iasento, the Mimbanese organized a Liberation Army. Junior Representative Jar Jar Binks was sent to help the 224th and 501st interface with the Mimbanese. With aid from the Mud Jumpers of the Grand Army's 224th division, the Mimbanese fought the Confederacy of Independent Systems. They were successful in repelling the Separatists from Mimban.
Following the Republic's transformation into the Galactic Empire, the Mimbanese fought the 224th's Swamp troopers.

Mimban_Leader.jpg
The above mini is Iasento, he was a male Mimbanese who served as a member of the Mimbanese Liberation Army during the reign of the Galactic Empire. Prior to the Clone Wars, Iasento was the leader of a Mimbanese tribe in the Nanth flatlands. When Mimban came to the attention of the Separatists during the war, the Galactic Republic's 224th Division, the Mud Jumpers, armed and trained Iasento and his men.

Another incredible good mini from Skull Forge Studios! Printed by SFS directly, way better than Shapeways!!!

And as always more on my site: http://www.adpublishing.de/html/legion.html

How do you get it printed by SFS directly? I only saw their gumroad page, but can't seem to find an option for having it printed. I got a few sculpts from shape ways, but they were hit and miss on cleanliness. Jyn was great, after cleanup, but the Tie Pilot was horrible, and Luke was halfway in between. If there's a better option than Shapeways, I'm all for it.

@ TK - I just contacted the guy behind SFS via Facebook.

I also started a Death Trooper squad. The female DT is from Imperial Assault, but fits very well to the FFG Legion minis.
SWL_Empire_Deathtrooper_2.jpg

And a back to back shot, really great details and faithful uniforms.
SWL_Empire_Deathtrooper_3.jpg

more -> http://www.adpublishing.de/html/legion.html

Thanks for the info. Is that the Skull forge FB main page? I'm not on Facebook, so I'm somewhat limited on what I can see. Looks like a Gmail address?

@TK - Sorry, i just used FB messanger...

Copy, thanks!

Agis' Star Wars Legion minis - Clone Wars!

B1_Battle_Droids_1.jpg
B1_Battle_Droids_2.jpg
9 B1 Droids right out of the core box. IMO absolutely the best Legion minis so far, incredible good casting, great hard plastic and huge conversion potential!

In addition using Contrast paints they paint themselves more or less by themselves! ;)

More CWs -> http://www.adpublishing.de/html/clone_wars1.html

SWL_Clone_Trooper_Phase_1_2.jpg
Five Phase I trooper right out of the Clone Wars box.
Unfortunately the miniatures are NOT as good as the B1 droids, softer plastic, less details, grotesquely oversized weapons, bulky heads, feet and hands and horrible very hard to remove mold lines.
:( :( :(
A real shame and missed opportunity IMO. They look somehow good anyway but could be so much better...

Some comparison pictures are below.
SWL_Clone_Trooper_Phase_1_comp2.jpg
From left to right: Mels Phase II, FFG Phase I, Mels Phase II, FFG Phase I. Mels are way more realistic. But in the end it boils down to personal taste!

SWL_Clone_Trooper_Phase_1_comp1.jpg
Jordans Obi, FFG Phase I and Mels Obi. Jordans mini work together with FFG, Mels not.

More pics: http://www.adpublishing.de/html/clone_wars1.html