Polda's Legion Bad Guys Emporium (New arrivals: Legacy of Mandalol)

By Polda, in Painting

Adding pictures of my trees and new jungle themed scatter terrain pieces. Left - the paper towel / pva method, Right - the DAS clay, knife cut texture method (Thanks Star Builds!)

TkeDwSI.jpg

rSWsF5k.jpg

N9IKc4I.jpg

VZXLztC.jpg

u726x2u.jpg

lD9PNjF.jpg

5IYF8NN.jpg

OSURvu9.jpg

m9o0ZfK.jpg

v793rhp.jpg

That's a lot of great terrain. A good variety of foliage. It's nice to see someone branch out like that. I wood'nt change a thing. Scale-wise those trees look about 3 stories. Some might say 4, but that's another story. Sorry to am-bush you with these jokes. I'll just leaf you with these more serious questions:

Any trouble playing around that much cover/terrain? Any changes/improvements you'd make?

Also, what method did you use for constructing your rock outcroppings? (Terrain Tutor, Luke APS, etc.?)

3 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

That's a lot of great terrain. A good variety of foliage. It's nice to see someone branch out like that. I wood'nt change a thing. Scale-wise those trees look about 3 stories. Some might say 4, but that's another story. Sorry to am-bush you with these jokes. I'll just leaf you with these more serious questions:

Any trouble playing around that much cover/terrain? Any changes/improvements you'd make?

Also, what method did you use for constructing your rock outcroppings? (Terrain Tutor, Luke APS, etc.?)

Appreciate the puns ;-)

I only played with the previously posted setup with the pine trees and the dollar store box house etc. We did not find it to be a problem as it encouraged movement into better positions or jumping onto/over terrain. My first game with the Endor trees and jungle terrain will be tomorrow. I do not expect it to be a problem. The only units really affected by these who usually ignore all other terrain pieces are the AT-ST and Landspeeder and IMO if you can force them to MOVE instead of just stand in one spot and aim & shoot it should make for a better game.

The rocky outcrop is from the same pet store I got the plants at, however you could make some from just polystyrene like the ones I use for rocky outcrops in Runewars:

The only thing is you cannot spray the primer from a can since the propellant eats polystyrene. Just cut it at weird angles and texture it with some texture paint and paint it by hand.

KpywzPO.jpg

DvJDE5c.jpg

I’m working on trees using both those methods (I make the DAS ones and my kids do the paper towels). What kind of paper towel are you using? I think the premium ones my wife buys are too stout and textures and it’s causing some difficulty...

The clay ones come out well and aren’t too difficult, they just take a little time. I have been having trouble getting mine to stick to a base but it looks like you didn’t base them at all. Is that true? They still look good. Do they tip over?

1 hour ago, BigBadAndy said:

I’m working on trees using both those methods (I make the DAS ones and my kids do the paper towels). What kind of paper towel are you using? I think the premium ones my wife buys are too stout and textures and it’s causing some difficulty...

The clay ones come out well and aren’t too difficult, they just take a little time. I have been having trouble getting mine to stick to a base but it looks like you didn’t base them at all. Is that true? They still look good. Do they tip over?

I have two on "linocut" bases (weird bendy plastic that's easy to cut and has a fabric underlayer) and two on some lovely cheap thin plastic bases... aka CDs. :D

My poster tubes came with plastic caps, I superglued those to the bottom of each tube and then used the caps to glue the tube to the base.

Hot glue should hold them in place as well.

In other news, I made a comms tower out of a nasal spray bottle and some leftover sprues and other crap. :)

82M9fYj.jpg

Edited by Polda
3 hours ago, Polda said:

In other news, I made a comms tower out of a nasal spray bottle and some leftover sprues and other crap. :)

Nice re-purposing work!

Se5EZ1Yr.jpg

Edited by Polda

Love this. Can we get more angles and a breakdown of the components?

Edited by Force Majeure
On 6/16/2018 at 11:45 AM, Force Majeure said:

Love this. Can we get more angles and a breakdown of the components?

At the moment the buildings are all separate, I already took apart the mock-up.

The goal is to have this as simple and cheap as possible so the smaller buildings are essentially this: IUzza7K.png

Right now I am messing around with the awnings but I need to find a much, MUCH lighter fabric. The buildings will also get the same poster treatment as the previous ones.

9VWm95c.jpg

And of course I added this lovely detail (not sure what the part even is, I found it in the craft store sold in a bag of three).

ISh9kLE.jpg

For the awning, have you tried cheese cloth, or gauze? I also hear that a paper towel or wet-wipe with 50/50 water to white glue works okay too.

You can build upon this:

1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

For the awning, have you tried cheese cloth, or gauze? I also hear that a paper towel or wet-wipe with 50/50 water to white glue works okay too.

You can build upon this:

Thanks for the tip. I will look into those. PVA soaked tissue cloud probably work well enough.

And here I set the buildings on fire...

https://imgur.com/a/sj4TUuO

@Force Majeure

A painted wet wipe worked really well. Thanks for the tip!

34901765_205787660060672_807524710877442

Edited by Polda

I love the bounties! How did you do it?

Looks great!

6 hours ago, Ritalbringer said:

I love the bounties! How did you do it?

Google search, re gular ol' printer paper, scissors, PVA glue, foam brush and then later some diluted Typhus Corrosion.

You can use a craft knife to scrape the edge of the paper and weather it down that way too.

Edited by Polda

I have a "crashed" Tie Fighter that I'm going to be setting up like you did with yours. What did you use for that vine that's hanging over the wing? I've been looking around for something like that but haven't had any luck finding it. Thanks!

On 6/24/2018 at 5:21 PM, rasmussen81 said:

I have a "crashed" Tie Fighter that I'm going to be setting up like you did with yours. What did you use for that vine that's hanging over the wing? I've been looking around for something like that but haven't had any luck finding it. Thanks!

I recall it being from Polák (Czech Republic) but not what the product number is as I moved it to a bigger bag. It's some sort of a fiber structure with fine foam flock. Possibly this http://www.polakmodel.cz/cs/vyrobky/main/0/Mikro.html

There are some more poster designs in this old thread:

open-uri20150608-27674-1wd33w5_cee88198.

broken-horn-trivia_03_21485f67.jpeg?regi

11 hours ago, Polda said:

I recall it being from Polák (Czech Republic) but not what the product number is as I moved it to a bigger bag. It's some sort of a fiber structure with fine foam flock. Possibly this http://www.polakmodel.cz/cs/vyrobky/main/0/Mikro.html

Perfect! That put me on the right track...but everything I found was going to cost me about $25+ for a little bit of stuff. So I have a plan to make my own using cheap scratchy pads, glue, and clump foliage. Here's hoping it works!! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Test schemes for Snowtroopers.

35546059_153200145551151_409260449589519

Nice work, where did the TIE fighter come from? I have a crashed TIE interceptor, but it's too small for Legion.

I'm back with new stuff.

First, the rebel dish thing.

tClDogi.jpg

CQSWWSF.jpg

AyzByMx.jpg

ZPxEAIT.jpg

And next, I have scrapped all previous Imperial color schemes for a combination of Black, Red and Chrome.

Death Troopers will eventually get a black armor, chrome right arm.

5gwcjw9.jpg

Edited by Polda

What are you using for the chorme? Liquid Chrome pen?

Wow! Very bold color choices all around. They look great!

21 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

What are you using for the chorme? Liquid Chrome pen?

Yes, Molotow Liquid Chrome (1 mm pen or refill liquid airbrushed or brushed with a synthetic brush doesn't matter - they all work).

Washed with Nuln Oil Gloss, then hand varnished with diluted GW 'ardcoat.

Spray propellant kills the chrome effect.