Polda's Legion Bad Guys Emporium (New arrivals: Legacy of Mandalol)

By Polda, in Painting

*Updated with the current state of my Imperial and Separatist armies:

IbseGyI.jpg

NAhRLJL.jpg

9p5vx0l.jpg

V8rKQvI.jpg

Od86uwY.jpg

6KXQt6g.jpg

a3GPrfI.jpg

wOG9zNr.jpg

yaDDeDy.jpg

gOarD7I.jpg

IbseGyI.jpg

KXZEYd7.jpg

b6EFQpu.jpg

vchsgir.jpg

5GlIipi.jpg

Edited by Polda
adding new stuff

Easily one of the best lightsabers ive seen so far. What's your method/recipe?

Sooooo... this is why your Uthuk aren't finished yet! :(

7 hours ago, Hepitude said:

Sooooo... this is why your Uthuk aren't finished yet! :(

Nah, I'm playing them as they are and they have been kicking ***.

The painting completion or lack thereof is mostly down to the time consuming crystal weapons idea. But I'll get back to that after this Shadespire/Legion painting-based break.

On 4/1/2018 at 4:47 PM, Alan Noir said:

Easily one of the best lightsabers ive seen so far. What's your method/recipe?

Glad you like it.

It's all in the paints used:

- Vallejo Andrea Blue base

- a line of Vallejo Deep Sky Blue down the middle of the saber

- then sort of a triangle of white starting at the handle going up about 1/3 of the blade

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

During the weekend I was able to base coat everything but one Rebel troopers group and the second AT-RT. I'll be finishing those this week and then next week onward I will slowly go through highlighting the units and adding some chips and dirt etc.

yfSPNly.jpg

V4tTMZ3.jpg

nYD2soJ.jpg

6lAmRaA.jpg

EifTDBb.jpg

00uKays.jpg

6pQqU9a.jpg

I see a few grass tufts but what else did you use for basing? Leaves and debris specifically. They look great.

Tea leaves for basing? Looks good.

Are you planning on building any terrain?

I cannot believe how quickly folks have painted all of their stuff. Good job.

6 hours ago, Dash Two said:

I'd like to second this. I probably had four 4 hour sessions over the long weekend and I only managed to complete two squads.

8 hours ago, Dash Two said:

only reason im not painting mine yet is because i have no indoor spray-safe area and its been either snowy or 50 FREAKING MPH WIND OUTSIDE lol....

13 hours ago, Gorthaur25 said:

I see a few grass tufts but what else did you use for basing? Leaves and debris specifically. They look great.

It's two shades of green leaf flock from Noch and then some used and re-dried tea on top. That way it doesn't bleed coloring into the PVA glue.

@Dash Two

I pre-sprayed everything with my main color for the jackets (for the rebels red-brown, beige, green and blue) and then only painted tshirts, pants, shoes and accessories etc.

Also I did no highlighting or scratches on armor yet except on Luke and Vader.

Edited by Polda

Polda, this all looks excellent to me. Really like the variations in color schemes between the various squads, especially those brighter colored speeder bikes.

Like some others, I am feeling WAAAY behind in painting.

Soon™

eZMv1vgr.jpg

Yesterday I quickly base-coated and washed both vehicles. I don't have a pic of my green airspeeder yet.

As with the other units I am focusing on the base color + wash first to have them painted for play but will be doing some cleanup and detailed highlighting as the time goes on.

wKtq1TZ.jpg

@Force Majeure Terrain-wise I will be getting some plastic hollow logs from a pet store (terrarium decoration) and adding some leaf flock to make them look nicer.
I already have one "Citadel Wood" for Runewars as well as some small rocky outcrops and other trees for decoration.

Recently I found some plastic boxes and plastic spheres for buildings. I have nothing fancy planned - just tupperware with half a ball on top and some drinking straws for piping on the outside. So just old recycled crap painted up to look like ugly forest outpost buildings :D

Edited by Polda

Sounds like me and half the other guys out here. My wife got some bath bombs as a gift some time ago and the packaging is perfect for a domed roof. Shampoo bottles, caps from all kinds of products, foam inserts from toner cartridge boxes at work, old air fresheners, breath mint tins, etc., etc. My poor wife just gives me the side-eye when I get a bit excited about our garbage.

First test buildings I quickly threw together today.

It's boxes from a "dollar store", upside down, with the lid glued on top and and half an acrylic ball each. The doors are craft foam sheets with a cork rectangle on top not cut straight at all.

Now I need to figure out some cargo containers.

EGiQjtG.jpg

cwFtFt6r.jpg

Nice!

You can pick up some textured paint to give any future builds a rough exterior if you want some variety in your surfaces.

17 Best ideas about Spray Paint Countertops on Pinterest | Paint countertops, Painting bathroom ...

@Force Majeure unfortunately Rustoleum brand is near impossible to find locally.

Meanwhile I added a base and a stack of goods next to one of the huts. SyIdS5G.jpg

0DIO8YO.jpg 3VTczsT.jpg G7hhsK9.jpg

My portable board setup in action at a local game store.

eeCzLtt.jpg

t9gLCLN.jpg

B7NnCxW.jpg

G16TK4i.jpg

sOjEQ6T.jpg

Tp8Oash.jpg

Edit: and everything together

RnqG1tg.jpg

Edited by Polda

LET THE EXPERIMENTATION BEGIN!

20waxo.jpg

First, Phasma themed troopers test:

30077202_417703995367816_239696382418485

Second... Lord Vader.

Ofp16jB.jpg

pJJayuG.jpg

Well done on the Storm Troopers. Very easy to see which squad.

The non standard brown speeder bikes are a nice change.

The crashed Tie Fighter is an awesome center piece! I will have to get one now lol

Grest Scott! I like the experimentation. Keep it up.

Also, the play mat: where is it from? It's a very nice print. I think i may want one...

40 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Grest Scott! I like the experimentation. Keep it up.

Also, the play mat: where is it from? It's a very nice print. I think i may want one...

It's from Gamemat.eu (they're from Prague but I hear they can ship to US pretty fast). The mat is "Battlegrounds" and it's a 6'x4', I had to draw lines with a permanent marker to define a 6'x3' battlefield .

I wrote to them some time ago and it turns out 6x3 didn't sell well enough so they're sticking to 6x4 for the big mats.

Edited by Polda

More weirdness and a tree.

FDpbyJF.jpg

7ZCouGh.jpg

Edited by Polda

Great job a always on your miniatures.

Your second/alternate Vader looks very cool and I would love for Hasbro/Kenner to make one as a part of their Black Series.

Like how you took the cape off Vader and added them to the troopers.