Custom Great Old Ones

By ThorGrim2, in Fan Creations

Or simplify the whole matter by just giving cultists Nightmarish 1 and Overwhelming 1 .

Glath enqu'un: you can only have one rumour in play at a time, so the Start of Battle ability will only raise the Terror Level by one. You could change the Start of Battle to: If there is a rumour in play, the Investigators automatically suffer consequences as if they had failed to complete it.

Jake yet again said:

Glath enqu'un: you can only have one rumour in play at a time, so the Start of Battle ability will only raise the Terror Level by one. You could change the Start of Battle to: If there is a rumour in play, the Investigators automatically suffer consequences as if they had failed to complete it.

His slumbering ability allows multiple rumors to be in play at once.

carddeck1.jpg

edit: the title of the last plot card, the ancient one part, should be "Tainted Waters"

edit: I forgot, should add "1 spell" to part of the reward for killing a deep one.

This is great, but the attack is too dangerous.

Sanity and Stamina both kill you; therefore it's only the lowest one that matters. The highest possible lowest stamina or sanity (you heard me) is 5. Optimistically, you'd expect 1 or 2 successes rolling that, so you'd lose 3 or 4 points. The next turn, you'd be very lucky to survive. A 5/5 investigator on full Sanity and Stamina would get to attack maybe twice before being devoured. Anyone with a Sanity or Stamina of 3 or below has a very good chance of being devoured on turn 1. Even if you changed this ability so that it only affects the first player each turn, it'd still be a pain.

There are also too many Deep Ones. Gate bursts aren't that common. Deep Ones are too easy to ignore because a) they're easy to evade, b) they don't count towards the monster limit because they're spawn, and b) some gate closures will get rid of them all anyway. And what's up with that? Usually spawn monsters are 'crescent' symbol.

That said, some of the Deep Ones are too hard to kill - particularly the double-immune one. Even if you had a Fight 6 investigator with two +2 combat Allies, he'd only be rolling 11 dice, which is below the number you need in order to expect four successes.

Remember, every point of toughness is almost equivalent to an additional -3 to the combat modifier, because you need to have three extra dice in order to expect to get past it. I'd drop all these Deep Ones to three toughness, or two toughness in the case of the double-immune and double-resistant ones.

The Deep Ones cannot be banished through gates, please read it again. Furthermore, I didn't say "whenever an elder sign explodes" I said "whenever a gate burst is drawn". Third, the reward for killing a Deep One is massive, only seconded by the reward for killing the Duniwch Horror. I believe the difficulty level is just right. You want to kill one? then spend clue tokens, tough luck. Lastly, you may have a point about the attack. Should probably change it to "each player rolls dice equal to his current sanity or current stamina".

Gate Bursts are rare regardless of whether or not they actually do anything, which I think was Corinthian's point. You're almost never going to see 7 of those cards in a game, so the threat posed by Deep Ones is pretty much nonexistent, especially since they're so easy to evade. This isn't a 'problem' really, unless you actually wanted that effect to be capable of ending the game.

As for the attack, making it a choice between one of the rolls each turn should fix it. It'll still be insanely difficult as a final battle, but that's really what this guy has going for him.

Finally, forgive me my ignorance, but what does Zoth-Ommog have to do with Deep Ones?

The Message said:

Finally, forgive me my ignorance, but what does Zoth-Ommog have to do with Deep Ones?

Zoth-Ommog is a child of Cthulhu and lives under the sea, which is close enough for me. As to whether he actually has Deep One slaves/children/whatever, I don't know. He's from a Lin Carter story I think. Either that or Ramsey Campbell.

Kroen:

My mistake, you did say that gates don't get rid of Deep Ones. The Message was right about what I meant about gate bursts, though. I did understand that you meant 'when a gate burst is drawn ' but that's still not very often.

Yet another Ancient One from my play group. Enjoy.

1ef8bd4441ad.jpg

Its wierd/ weird and creepy looking!

Dark Jco. said:

1ef8bd4441ad.jpg

I like this, though it makes otherworlds a pain. The final battle is almost impossible, but with a doom track of 14 that's fine.

Where did you get the picture? I want.

thecorinthian said:

The Message said:

Zoth-Ommog is a child of Cthulhu and lives under the sea, which is close enough for me. As to whether he actually has Deep One slaves/children/whatever, I don't know. He's from a Lin Carter story I think. Either that or Ramsey Campbell.

Amazing what a simple internet search can do... he is definantly served by Deep Ones, but now I have another gripe. He looks nothing like Cthulhu, but is closer to a being of Yith (Albeit with a reptillian head).

Do you still take the Sanity damage from the Worshippers? If yes will you get to choose the order? Insane/ Other World or Other World/ Insane?

One will make you LiTaS and the other at 1 Sanity in the Other World or Arkham Ayslum!

In the spirit of Kingsport's difficult AO, here's one of my own:

yithfrontside.jpg

Not bad - the final battle is over very fast (which seems to be a habit of yours) but if it awakened with only a couple of extra doom tokens, it would be quite possible to defeat.

We don't see many Kingsport-specific AOs on this thread, whcih is a shame because there's plenty of mileage to be got out of the Rifts as far as I can see.

Point of theme though: 'Yith' isn't a god the Yithians worship, or their 'parent' creature; it's the planet they originally come from, which has long since been destroyed. You could just called this card 'Yithians' and it would make sense, because the investigators would be up against the whole mysterious Yithian agenda (whatever that is).

MrsGamura said:

Do you still take the Sanity damage from the Worshippers? If yes will you get to choose the order? Insane/ Other World or Other World/ Insane?

One will make you LiTaS and the other at 1 Sanity in the Other World or Arkham Ayslum!

Yes you still take the sanity damage and it is applied before being sucked into another world. So if you go insane from the horror check you go to the Asylum.

As for the impossible end fight, I made the track that long so that players can hopfully buy a second or third skill. Also Luck seems to be an underused stat for final battles and it is a fairly good stat for many investigators.

I found the picture on Deviantart.com (there are so many wonderful pictures on there it is almost a shame that Arkham has such a rigid art style.

Thanks for theme.

If the investigators are seriously handling the rifts, he should be pretty weak when he wakes up in terms of both combat rating and doom tokens. Also, all the investigators have 3 full rounds of attack before things starts to get bad. After that, the ones that are alive would have 2-4 turns to finish him, and I think that's enough.

p.s. I got KH not to long ago and so far I've lost all final battles.. although I got lucky against Altcha Natcha (supported by Ghroth and opposed by Nodens): I got many gate surges and not one gate exploded! also no mystic enviroments were drawn!!! I ended the game of 4 investigators by closing all gates, and there were also 5 seals on the board. Still waiting to win an epic battle though :(

Nka'ji Ara pic ...What is the name of the picture you found on DeviantArt.com?

Dark Jco. said:

1ef8bd4441ad.jpg

Yikes. Flavorful and cool looking. Would be an interesting one to play. Nice.

A nasty, yet beatable AO:

shathakfrontside.jpg

I like the phys/mag immune cultists, but I don't like how they're still a piece of cake to beat (since they don't have a horror check and they only have one toughness, they're still way too easy).

psst Avi there cultist... there not supose to be uber evil... they have robes! lol

Inspired by that awesome Hastur pic that Kroen found, here's a variant Hastur.

Just messing about really, but see what you think.

3460504658_a056df494d_b.jpg

thecorinthian said:

Inspired by that awesome Hastur pic that Kroen found, here's a variant Hastur.

Just messing about really, but see what you think.

3460504658_a056df494d_b.jpg

Welcome to Blight central! Seriously though, those will be a massive pain. The final battle is quite awesome and unique. I think playing this version would make for a good time, tough as it looks.