Custom Great Old Ones

By ThorGrim2, in Fan Creations

thecorinthian said:

The Message said:

Welcome to Blight central! Seriously though, those will be a massive pain. The final battle is quite awesome and unique. I think playing this version would make for a good time, tough as it looks.

I've already changed it slightly. Here's version 2.

3465409093_b30232ff74_b.jpg

I dealt out the Blights a few times and found that generally speaking, the ability to pick which ones to destroy WILL allow you to seriously diminish the threat, as in many cases you can ignore the Blights which refer to areas of the game which you may not be using. In any given game, there will probably be a few Blights which won't affect the investigators much anyway, so you only need to place a few seals in order to get rid of the serious threats - and obviously placing seals is something that the investigators are probably trying anyway.

The 'Rags and Tatters' ability is one of the best ideas I think I've ever had for an AO - but it strikes me as the sort of thing that might be 'broken' if there's a specific monster you can keep passing against or something. If anyone can think of some way in it's abusable, don't keep it to yourself.

I know I'm late to the party here, but I really like this revision of Hastur. Rags and Tatters is a really neat mechanic. However, one quibble is that you don't have the Lore check for his attach diminish as turns pass; with a good skill draw and the right ally, some investigators could have six or more dice for this check permanently. You might consider either the traditional diminishment or instead having investigators roll dice equal to their focus instead of the Lore check.

(Why do these forums have no preview function? I don't know how any of you stand it.)

Caduceus said:

I know I'm late to the party here, but I really like this revision of Hastur. Rags and Tatters is a really neat mechanic. However, one quibble is that you don't have the Lore check for his attach diminish as turns pass; with a good skill draw and the right ally, some investigators could have six or more dice for this check permanently. You might consider either the traditional diminishment or instead having investigators roll dice equal to their focus instead of the Lore check.

(Why do these forums have no preview function? I don't know how any of you stand it.)

Thanks. I just forgot to add that line to the attack - it was always meant to get worse as normal.

It has also been pointed out that there are only ten Yellow Sign tokens, so that's the most that the whole group could have in the final battle. However I think that since you can pass the test even if you have no Yellow Signs left, it's probably ok. There are basically ten 'free' player-turns against Hastur and everything else has to be bought using Lore, clue tokens and re-rolls.

(Yeah, the forum shell does have a few problems... not just the lack of preview, but also the vanishing 'edit' function which drops you back out on p1 of the thread instead of where your post is, the lack of proper markup for quotes, the dodgy 'latest page' recognition, and the fact that unlike every other forum in the universe it doesn't 'hold' the text if you write out a post and go back then forward again.)

chaugnarfaugnfrontside.jpg

Hey, that's the type of thing! Simple and dangerous.

One thing I'd change: people should be able to roll for their Curses during the final battle. It makes it a lot less predictable, but still isn't very likely to save anyone (or not for long, anyway). You could even let people keep their blessings at the start of the battle, if they had them - it would introduce a nice level of main game/final battle interaction.

(Also, where'd you find such a great picture of an evil elephant Chaugnar Faugh-type-thing? I've been trying to make a Chaugnar Faugn AO for ages and the main thing that has been stopping me is that I couldn't find any evil-looking elephant-monster pictures, even on DeviantArt.)

Thanx. And I found it on deviantart. I figured that if players could keep their blessing and roll for their curses the final battle would be too easy. In a 8 investigator game, for example, there about 15 turns before everyone are devoured. That's alot . The fact most of them would be cursed balances this fact. If I allowed blessing, each blessing would essetially read "discard to prevent the ancient one's entire attack" which makes blessing a bit too good.

Fifteen turns isn't that much when you have to accumulate 104 successes to win, something that's going to be tough to do when Cursed. Maybe make people roll to keep their Blessings at start of battle, and discard on a failure instead of just a one? Also, Chaugnar Faugn is, in the Mythos, worshipped by the Tcho-Tcho, not the undead. The Curse as attack is very in line with his abilities in the Mythos, though, and I like that. The in-game effect, Undying Roar, is a little generic, though, not to mention it reduces the strategy when it comes t. I'd consider integrating Curses into his in-game effect, too; maybe change it to Cursing the first player whenever the Terror level goes up? Don't keep the Terror increase on Monster Surges if you do that, though, that would be plain too much cursing; Avi might like it, but my players would just find it frustrating.

Biomechanoidqueenfrnt.jpg

Here is the Biomechanoid Queen revision. I took out the traitor thing because I thought it might be too many mechanics for one card. I added witches as counting as cultists, to encourage more combat with corruption giving monsters. I think this revision wouldn't be too bad to work. :)

Caduceus said:

Fifteen turns isn't that much when you have to accumulate 104 successes to win, something that's going to be tough to do when Cursed. Maybe make people roll to keep their Blessings at start of battle, and discard on a failure instead of just a one? Also, Chaugnar Faugn is, in the Mythos, worshipped by the Tcho-Tcho, not the undead. The Curse as attack is very in line with his abilities in the Mythos, though, and I like that. The in-game effect, Undying Roar, is a little generic, though, not to mention it reduces the strategy when it comes t. I'd consider integrating Curses into his in-game effect, too; maybe change it to Cursing the first player whenever the Terror level goes up? Don't keep the Terror increase on Monster Surges if you do that, though, that would be plain too much cursing; Avi might like it, but my players would just find it frustrating.

:') actually, I do like it. The problem with allowing rolling for curses is that in an eight player game, odds are your curse will wear off by the time you are first player again, and since this isn't a standard AO it doesn't have the final battle deck. An alternative solution to this problem is to have cursed players be devoured when they roll a six when rolling for their curse.

Admiral142 said:

Biomechanoidqueenfrnt.jpg

Here is the Biomechanoid Queen revision. I took out the traitor thing because I thought it might be too many mechanics for one card. I added witches as counting as cultists, to encourage more combat with corruption giving monsters. I think this revision wouldn't be too bad to work. :)

Pretty cool. I would consider printing it out (at Kinkos) if it had a doom track of 12. 11 is a little too difficult for sealing victories with small teams— which is what I normally play.

Here's an Ancient One just for you, Avi:

youwilllosefrontside.jpg

I... I think your just running out of ideas now...

Saldre said:

I... I think your just running out of ideas now...

it was a joke ancient one...

Oh, like Tsathoggua! I get it.

What? what's wrong with him? Sure he has an ability that pretty much takes the fun out of the game and an attack that doesn't make sense, but...

kroen said:

he has an ability that pretty much takes the fun out of the game and an attack that doesn't make sense

Ah! Have we found one of those rare things that we actually agree on?

kroen said:

Here's an Ancient One just for you, Avi:

youwilllosefrontside.jpg

No on the picture, yes on the worshippers. The part about the gates wouldn't affect most games too much, the inability to destroy monsters through gate closing/sealing is a neat twist. Removing the spending of clue tokens for skill checks cuts out an important aspect of strategy from the game, so, bleh. As for the final battle attack... Investigators will probably all be dead by the third turn. The odds of defeating it in direct combat are practially nill. Where's the fun in that? It's just boring.

::Shrug:: I actually like the worshippers and 2/3rds of the in game effects despite this being a joke post. Still, if it had a doom track of 13, and the ban on spending clue tokens was removed, I'd actually consider playing it :') provided it had a real name and a real picture.

Also uh... you can't seal if you can't close, unless you meant that you can close but not seal. To seal you have to first close, then seal (Unless you have an Elder Sign, but there aren't enough to really make a difference in this case). Basically you're automatically going to lose unless you can beat it in the final battle, which is unlikely. There's no way to stop it from waking up.

I meant that only sealing was possible... I guess my wording was off. How about "If an investigator succesfully closes a gate, he must spend Clue tokens to seal it or else the gate remains open".

thecorinthian said:

Oh, like Tsathoggua! I get it.

... Ouch. My buddy and I got eaten by Tsathoggua the other night... LOL gran_risa.gif

Alright, here's another one for your perusal.

Moleshfrnt.jpg

Moleshplot1.jpg

Moleshplot2.jpg

Moleshplot3.jpg

This post is going to be a bit long, so I apologize now. Here is all the stuff that this AO references.

Strange-Doll.jpg

Because this post is already so long, I will post the dolls over in the custom monster section. As always, constructive criticism is welcome!

After careful consideration, here is my diagnosis:

Shorten the Doom track.

The attack is standard stuff, the combat modifier may not be all that high, and the resistances are pretty bad but not all that bad (as long as it only has Phys Resist, the investigators are quite capable of tooling up to fight it).

The Doll monsters all seem to be reasonable enough (i'll take another look at them in a bit) but I don't think you really need to beef them up with +1 Nightmarish. If you want this guy to do something special with Dolls, have him spawn them on every gate, or always spawn one when there's a monster surge, or something like that. It's more interesting than just a fiddly one-point bonus to a stat that doesn't always get used anyway.

If the investigator with the Strange Doll is devoured, what happens? You need to specify that it passes to the first player or something. EDITED TO ADD: disregard, I just realized how it works, and that it's attached to the player not the investigator.

carddeck1.jpg

Ruling: If all 3 offsprings are in play during the final battle and another one should enter, nothing happens.

Elder sign removed from the bank? That doesn't mean anything.

Also, if you're going to take my idea about aquatic cultists, it would be nice if you at least made them worth being afraid of. Oh no, a cultist lands on the Unvisited Isle. Big deal. The point of having this ability added on to the Cthulhu herald was that cultists had a -X modifier and were placed in every gate surge and monster surge. Plus the herald was designed to be played with Cthulhu, giving cultists -2 horror ratings with 2 damage as well as a probable -3 to -8 combat modifier (it was expected to get worse with Innsmouth because they could get over the monster limit by swiming over to Kingsport or Innsmouth.

Lastly, the picture is blah.

thecorinthian said:

After careful consideration, here is my diagnosis:

Shorten the Doom track.

The attack is standard stuff, the combat modifier may not be all that high, and the resistances are pretty bad but not all that bad (as long as it only has Phys Resist, the investigators are quite capable of tooling up to fight it).

The Doll monsters all seem to be reasonable enough (i'll take another look at them in a bit) but I don't think you really need to beef them up with +1 Nightmarish. If you want this guy to do something special with Dolls, have him spawn them on every gate, or always spawn one when there's a monster surge, or something like that. It's more interesting than just a fiddly one-point bonus to a stat that doesn't always get used anyway.

If the investigator with the Strange Doll is devoured, what happens? You need to specify that it passes to the first player or something. EDITED TO ADD: disregard, I just realized how it works, and that it's attached to the player not the investigator.

Yes, this guy has some holes in him, especially his sinister plot cards. I want this guy to be SCARY! I like the doll spawning idea, and I do need to clarify how the strange doll works, as not everyone may understand that rule. Thanks for the input!