Custom Great Old Ones

By ThorGrim2, in Fan Creations

Ok, this one has a bit of a... different end game, should it come to Final Battle.

http://boardgamegeek.com/file/info/38091

Mnomquah would be the GOO obviously, the scenario, monster token and map are all for the Final Battle, as described on his sheet. In short, when he wakes up you put the Horror of the Black Lake scenario in play and move all investigators to the Lake of Ubboth map, placing the Mnomquah monster token in the center (The map is currently having issues, probably because I forgot to upload each location file. The update is currently pending and should be up in a day or so). Gates open up on the outskirts of the map and spew out monsters, which the investigators must battle and close. Meanwhile, Mnomquah's token moves (As a fast stalker) after them and starts kicking tail. Basically, combat with him is started like a normal monster, but you use the statistics on his AO sheet just like a normal final battle (You may still flee, though). The end result is that the endgame is slightly more dynamic, but I'm unsure whether it's harder or easier.

I just finished reading the AO and the scenario. Good ideea for the "Start Of Battle" and I also like his Attack. Unlike AO's that are annoying because you NEED a gate token not to be killed, this one makes you defend yourself or take damage. Hmm... Thinking about printing this....probably as soon as I get to play with my group. :)

Mykayel said:

I just finished reading the AO and the scenario. Good ideea for the "Start Of Battle" and I also like his Attack. Unlike AO's that are annoying because you NEED a gate token not to be killed, this one makes you defend yourself or take damage. Hmm... Thinking about printing this....probably as soon as I get to play with my group. :)

Awesome, glad you like it.

You all probably know Hastur, The King In Yellow, by know right? Well...it is my distinct pleasure to introduce you to my new Ancient One. The Half Brother Of Cthulhu, the God of all shepherds, the Ancient One who's shape has never been revealed, brought to you more powerful than ever and with a shiny new look...gentelmen I give you: the one, the only, Hastur The Unspeakable One.

Hastur-Front-Side.png

Yeah, so he looks nice, but can he DO anything? Well, let's find out:

Power: Investigators are no longer sent to the Hospital or Asylum. If an investigator has 0 Sanity, he must pass a Will(-2) check during upkeep or else commit suicide. If an investigator has 0 Stamina, he only receives 1 movement point during upkeep. If an investigator has less than 0 Stamina or Sanity, that investigator is devoured.

Worshippers: Hastur, Half-Brother of Cthulhu, is worshiped by The Cult of the Yellow Sign. If a Cultist is in a street area connected to a Sealed Gate, move him to that location and remove the Elder Sign Token.

Attack: When Hastur is attacked by a Weapon, the attacking investigator must pass a Speed(-2) Check or lose 1 Stamina for each die he rolled.When Hastur is attacked by a Spell, each investigator must pass a Luck(+1) check or become Cursed.

Start Of Battle: X is set to the current terror level.

Mykayel said:

You all probably know Hastur, The King In Yellow, by know right? Well...it is my distinct pleasure to introduce you to my new Ancient One. The Half Brother Of Cthulhu, the God of all shepherds, the Ancient One who's shape has never been revealed, brought to you more powerful than ever and with a shiny new look...gentelmen I give you: the one, the only, Hastur The Unspeakable One.

Hastur-Front-Side.png

Power: Investigators are no longer sent to the Hospital or Asylum. If an investigator has 0 Sanity, he must pass a Will(-2) check during upkeep or else commit suicide. If an investigator has 0 Stamina, he only receives 1 movement point during upkeep. If an investigator has less than 0 Stamina or Sanity, that investigator is devoured.

Worshippers: Hastur, Half-Brother of Cthulhu, is worshiped by The Cult of the Yellow Sign. If a Cultist is in a street area connected to a Sealed Gate, move him to that location and remove the Elder Sign Token.

Attack: When Hastur is attacked by a Weapon, the attacking investigator must pass a Speed(-2) Check or lose 1 Stamina for each die he rolled.When Hastur is attacked by a Spell, each investigator must pass a Luck(+1) check or become Cursed.

Currently, he's far too easy in the final battle. As long as you put down your spells and weapons he can't do a single thing to you. This of course leads to the silly picture of people punching Hastur to death as he lies there helpless. The rest of the card looks nice though, and you could fix the endgame by just adding a more traditional attack in addition to his 'defenses'.

The Message said:

Mykayel said:

Hastur-Front-Side.png

Currently, he's far too easy in the final battle. As long as you put down your spells and weapons he can't do a single thing to you. This of course leads to the silly picture of people punching Hastur to death as he lies there helpless. The rest of the card looks nice though, and you could fix the endgame by just adding a more traditional attack in addition to his 'defenses'.

Why even put down your weapons? Just refocus your Speed so that you roll no dice. You fail the speed check, but don't lose anything.

Yup, I can see the problem with my Hastur. Gonna modify his end game attacks a little. Posting him later today.

Hastur-Front-Side-1.png

Made a small change in the Image position as well, like him better this way. This is his new Attack:

When Hastur is attacked by a Weapon, in order for the attack to succeed, that investigator must pass a Speed(-2) check or else lose 1 Stamina.

When Hastur is attacked by a Spell, each investigator must pass a Luck(+1) check or become Cursed.

Every investigator loses 1 Sanity and 1 Doom Token is added to the Doom Track.

The Message said:

Ok, this one has a bit of a... different end game, should it come to Final Battle.

Mnomquah would be the GOO obviously, the scenario, monster token and map are all for the Final Battle, as described on his sheet. In short, when he wakes up you put the Horror of the Black Lake scenario in play and move all investigators to the Lake of Ubboth map, placing the Mnomquah monster token in the center (The map is currently having issues, probably because I forgot to upload each location file. The update is currently pending and should be up in a day or so). Gates open up on the outskirts of the map and spew out monsters, which the investigators must battle and close. Meanwhile, Mnomquah's token moves (As a fast stalker) after them and starts kicking tail. Basically, combat with him is started like a normal monster, but you use the statistics on his AO sheet just like a normal final battle (You may still flee, though). The end result is that the endgame is slightly more dynamic, but I'm unsure whether it's harder or easier.

dude, I'm having some trouble printing this "scenario"...my Strange Eons program (or any program I have for that matter) can't open Lake of Ubboth or Mnomquah Monster. Any ideea why?

Mykayel said:

The Message said:

dude, I'm having some trouble printing this "scenario"...my Strange Eons program (or any program I have for that matter) can't open Lake of Ubboth or Mnomquah Monster. Any ideea why?

Yeah, I think you need all the locations, due to how SE treats them. I uploaded all of that to the BGG page. Let me know if there are any more issues.

Crimson-King-Front-Side.png

I've made Roland so what good would he be without his nemesis?

Ok it's been awhile sense I've read the Dark Tower but here’s the CK.

He was worshipped (not sure if I would call it that mainly seemed like they where his puppets but guess it's the same thing?), Vampires, Humanoids with the body of a man but the head of a beast (bird, dog, etc) and Humanoid giant rate like creatures the "Low Men in Yellow Coats" that fancied them selves as human...i.e. would where human mask, very tacky clothing in bright pastel colors and very filthy (vile) creatures.

These low men where the focus, sense to me they seemed the most numerous of his worshippers plus to include Vampires and the Beast Men would make the text itty-bitty.

Why Stalker and the loss of sanity when they move into an investigators location? Because they would spy on, collect people and the people they would stalk always had an unnerving feeling of being watched.

Unstable World ~the CK was in fact trying to destroy all reality itself and the Mystic cards seemed like an appropriate way to convey this idea. So if your shuffled really bad the CK could awaken the first turn and most likely devour everyone.

Blood Feast ~he would gain strength from the misery and death of others

Start of Battle ~also from the book, seems like you would always have to sacrifice friends to get closes enough to the CK to destroy him.

CK attack ~I know it's basically Yig's and originally had him do 1 stamina damage but would get stale mates vs. Lee, McGleen and Chen. CK is a smart Creature so figured he would try to take away your ability to hurt him i.e. the loss of spells, weapons and skills!

He has the same Attack Rating (-4 magical resistance) as Nyarlathotep witch seem appropriate to me sense they seem similar to me and had to give him a Doom Track of 13 due to Ole Black 13 from the book.

NOTE: Was thinking abut changing his attacks where each investigator must discard 2 investigators cards (spells, common items, rail passes, etc) or be Devoured just so he has his own unique attack.

NOTE: NOTE: Not sure what is with the little holes on the card.

I like him, especially his Worshipper and Unstable World abilities. He seems a bit easy to beat though, honestly, especially in the final battle. You can keep feeding him unneeded items as you blast him to pieces, especially since his modifier isn't too bad. At least his large doom track would help him there, but it also means that the investigators have plenty of time to seal, assuming they don't get stupidly unlucky on mythos draws (4-5 Mystics could easily send the game spiralling out of control).

I like your other idea for his attack, though it also rewards stockpiling. At least it's somewhat different.

Random tangent: I've been meaning to read the Dark Tower series but never got around to it. Are they worth it for an English major with a ton of recreational reading already on his plate?

The Message said:

I like him, especially his Worshipper and Unstable World abilities. He seems a bit easy to beat though, honestly, especially in the final battle. You can keep feeding him unneeded items as you blast him to pieces, especially since his modifier isn't too bad. At least his large doom track would help him there, but it also means that the investigators have plenty of time to seal, assuming they don't get stupidly unlucky on mythos draws (4-5 Mystics could easily send the game spiralling out of control).

I like your other idea for his attack, though it also rewards stockpiling. At least it's somewhat different.

Random tangent: I've been meaning to read the Dark Tower series but never got around to it. Are they worth it for an English major with a ton of recreational reading already on his plate?

Originally had him turn Cultist into Leng Spiders and give Cultist Leng Spiders Nightmarish 2

True didn't want to make his combat modifiers to difficult, because he gains Doom tokens for every investigator thats devoured and if he wakes up and not everyone has an Ally his Doom Track will be 14+ and you will loss all those items those investigators had!

Fought him once in a four player game. Was not able to Seal him plus his Unstable World made one extra Gate open. Sadly 3 investigators died because of his Start of Battle and the last one removed 4 doom tokens from the 16 before being devoured!

The First 4 books are worth the read after Wizard in Glass they sort of felt rushed but read The Stand and Heart in Atlantis before the DK series.

MrsGamura said:

The Message said:

Originally had him turn Cultist into Leng Spiders and give Cultist Leng Spiders Nightmarish 2

True didn't want to make his combat modifiers to difficult, because he gains Doom tokens for every investigator thats devoured and if he wakes up and not everyone has an Ally his Doom Track will be 14+ and you will loss all those items those investigators had!

Fought him once in a four player game. Was not able to Seal him plus his Unstable World made one extra Gate open. Sadly 3 investigators died because of his Start of Battle and the last one removed 4 doom tokens from the 16 before being devoured!

The First 4 books are worth the read after Wizard in Glass they sort of felt rushed but read The Stand and Heart in Atlantis before the DK series.

Somehow I totally forgot about his Start of Battle when reviewing him. That actually makes it seem much tougher, since there are usual a few people without allies (And each of them adds another doom token in addition to reducing team firepower). I still think the alternate attack would be more unique, but that's really more of a stylistic issue at this point. I like him, I think I might print.

Kefka-Front-Side.png

MrsGamura said:

Kefka-Front-Side.png

My first thought was, "Woah, crazy powerful. I like." My second thought was, "Woah, crazy weak. No like." Currently she/it is almost impossible to lose against, since the final battle attack can't actually do anything put strip you down, which I don't think was your intention. Perhaps you meant to add a line akin to "If you cannot, you are Devoured" or somesuch? Otherwise she'll just get slowly punched to death (Or even worse, eat everything and have nobody left that can even roll dice against her, ending in an eternal stalemate).

Other than this oversight, I really like it. Servant of Chaos is wicked, haha.

One question about the "Servant of Chaos" ability, does the rumour not having a pass condition mean you automatically fail every rumour, or that you just don't receive any kind of reward for getting rid of it?

I'm assuming that you cannot pass it otherwise it would read "do not gain a reward for passing a rumor" or somesuch. Basically you just fail when the time comes.

You fail the rumor so no point in trying to pass them...Cursed Relics guess terro lv 10, Mistrust? guess we have zero focus and no trading...Stars are Right...well bess no roll 1 or 2 ha ha

yes should read devour if you can't discard on the AO attack...and the die roll should be 1-3 success and 4-6 failure so the AO blesses everyone in a weird way guess makes up for the -6 magic imune! lol

BTW this guy is from Final Fantsy also have a Septhroth > :)

Ok, that's what I figured on the attack. Why succeed on 1-3 (Just asking)?

I like this one, might be fun for a tougher game.

The Message said:

My bad it should be a success on a "1-4 and a failure on a 5-6"..from the game he's just weird so thought it would be fun to give him a weird ability...so with this weird blessing he gives you should help you overcome his -6 magical immunity!

MrsGamura said:

The Message said:

My bad it should be a success on a "1-4 and a failure on a 5-6"..from the game he's just weird so thought it would be fun to give him a weird ability...so with this weird blessing he gives you should help you overcome his -6 magical immunity!

Oh, ok, so it's literally a complete inversion? Would a curse make you only fail on a 6 and a blessing on a 4-6? Also, how would this interact with cards like the Shotgun? Give double successes on a 1 or just play it as normal and only fail on 5?

Just to keep thing simple made cursed/blessed investigators devoured suppose could make it that all dice rolls are inversions or something similar.

Guess shotgun will own Kefka! lol

MrsGamura said:

The Message said:

Uhhh... He removes your equipment, but how does he *kill* you? I don't see any kill condition built into his attack skills. Also, you might want to add another toughness to the cultists and maniacs (although the maniacs would become insanely awesome if the terror reached six). A plus one modifier against a monster that's stationary with a plus one bonus is still a very easy fight (unless you're ambushed or surprised by it). ::Shrug:: anyways, I liked the magic cultists thing ;') and as a former FFIII player, I approve of Kefka's presence in the 1920s, it's just about crazy enough for him.

Avi_dreader said:

MrsGamura said:

The Message said:

Uhhh... He removes your equipment, but how does he *kill* you? I don't see any kill condition built into his attack skills. Also, you might want to add another toughness to the cultists and maniacs (although the maniacs would become insanely awesome if the terror reached six). A plus one modifier against a monster that's stationary with a plus one bonus is still a very easy fight (unless you're ambushed or surprised by it). ::Shrug:: anyways, I liked the magic cultists thing ;') and as a former FFIII player, I approve of Kefka's presence in the 1920s, it's just about crazy enough for him.

That was covered already, just change it to 'If you cannot, you are Devoured.' or whatever language suits your taste.