Custom Great Old Ones

By ThorGrim2, in Fan Creations

Cxaxukluth, spawn of Azathoth

http://www.sendspace.com/file/58q5mc

Text:

<name> is worshipped by those who dwell near him on Yuggoth. Mi-Go are <b>Endless</b>. Additionally, for each gate to Yuggoth that is open, increase the toughness of all monsters by 1 and the toughness of Cultists by 2.

Reality Cannibal: When a Gate Trophy is spent, add a Doom Token to the track.

Start of Battle: Any investigators with Gate Trophies are Devoured.

Attack: X is equal to three times the number of investigators (Not counting those who are Devoured).

Each investigator must pass a <b>Will (+2) check</b> or be Devoured. This check's modifier decreases by 1 each turn.

(Defenses are -X with Magical Immunity)

He fluctuates between relatively easy and extremely difficult, mostly based on the gates to Yuggoth. His ability makes spending gates for clues a risky transaction, but a track of 14 gives you a lot of wiggle room (I might drop it 13 or 12, what do you think?).

The Message said:

Attack: X is equal to three times the number of investigators (Not counting those who are Devoured).

So this guy has a -24 modifier if you have 8 players who make it to final combat until they get devoured? Ouch. Essentially that means you can do absolutely zero damage to him until over half the investigators are devoured, and by then, the other half will go not long after because the check modifier will become unbeatable without clues.

The only strategy to take against this guy would be to work out how much of an attack modifier you can handle (lets say you think you can handle -9). You try to push the game to the point where you have 3 doom tokens left to go, three investigators at South Church with all the best +Physical gear, while all the rest have a gate trophy. All three for the final combat bless themselves, 3 doom tokens added and all other investigators devoured. Then those in final combat can attack from turn 1.

thorgrim said:

The Message said:

So this guy has a -24 modifier if you have 8 players who make it to final combat until they get devoured? Ouch. Essentially that means you can do absolutely zero damage to him until over half the investigators are devoured, and by then, the other half will go not long after because the check modifier will become unbeatable without clues.

The only strategy to take against this guy would be to work out how much of an attack modifier you can handle (lets say you think you can handle -9). You try to push the game to the point where you have 3 doom tokens left to go, three investigators at South Church with all the best +Physical gear, while all the rest have a gate trophy. All three for the final combat bless themselves, 3 doom tokens added and all other investigators devoured. Then those in final combat can attack from turn 1.

Yes, basically. Hehe. I love the idea of something that becomes easier after most of your allies have fallen, it just seems very sadistic.

More to the point, if you can't seal this guy with 8 players, you probably deserve what you get. Just think of it as extra motivation.

Sephiroth-Front-Side.png

Wanted to make sure those Wraiths gain Nightmarish 2 and 'Endless Terror' doesn't work on Cultist drawn during encounters but yes to ones placed in the Outskirts during the Mythos phase.

Cxaxukluth-Front-Side.png

I would bold Devour and Mi-Go and perhaps anything else I missed to make in consistent with the other AO's wording.

During his/her/it's combat what do they lose? Sanity/ Stamina /puppies/ money?? or just out rite Devoured? demonio.gif

MrsGamura said:

Sephiroth-Front-Side.png

Wanted to make sure those Wraiths gain Nightmarish 2 and 'Endless Terror' doesn't work on Cultist drawn during encounters but yes to ones placed in the Outskirts during the Mythos phase.

Cxaxukluth-Front-Side.png

I would bold Devour and Mi-Go and perhaps anything else I missed to make in consistent with the other AO's wording.

During his/her/it's combat what do they lose? Sanity/ Stamina /puppies/ money?? or just out rite Devoured? demonio.gif

I like Sephiroth, though the Terror Track will be a serious pain (Especially with endless cultists). I guess it should be, though.

Thank you for posting Cxaxukluth's image, SE only exports in zip and my winzip just expired. Yes, they are outright devoured, the lose is a typo.

My first serious attempt at an Ancient One.

mercury.jpg

dkw: unless you figure investigators are likely to have well over 12 Uniques/Spells, EACH, Mercury Lampe is ridiculous (as in farking impossible). Between loss at start of battle, and loss every time a DT is removed, the players need somewhere in the vicinity of 36 Spells/Uniques! That's ridiculous!

Unless...

Do you mean that after a DT is removed, ONE Investigator has to throw something away? If so, please make a little more textually clear.

Cheers.

But yes, only 1 Investigator has to discard, not all the Investigators, hence the singular AN. That means the group has to have 12 Spells and/or Unique Items combined. If you can think of a better way to say it, then I would be glad to hear it.

But, I didn't expect it to be good the first time around. I tend to make things too powerful or not powerful enough, usually too powerful. But, I actually enjoy the process of working through the faults, to get something good in the end.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

And here is an item to go along with Mercury. Limit to 4 per game. It will protect one type of item catagory from being discarded.

Rosa-Mystica.jpg

dkw said:

But yes, only 1 Investigator has to discard, not all the Investigators, hence the singular AN. That means the group has to have 12 Spells and/or Unique Items combined. If you can think of a better way to say it, then I would be glad to hear it.

But, I didn't expect it to be good the first time around. I tend to make things too powerful or not powerful enough, usually too powerful. But, I actually enjoy the process of working through the faults, to get something good in the end.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The only problem with "when a Doom Token is removed" as an attack is that the players automatically win if they make it past the Start of Battle power with 12 or more spells or uniques and aren't going to go insane from casting. Even four investigators with 8 or 9 spells or uniques remaining (depending on whether you count the last doom token being removed as allowing her to attack or not) can pretty much guarantee a win for 1 of the investigators without being devoured.

MrsGamura said:

The-Family-Front-Side.png

There we go got a better picture and changed the name to go in more theme with the picture.

Was also thinking about making another rule where you can't use Tulzscha as the Herald due to conflicting interest.

Need to make three Epic battle cards.

1st

Each Investigator returns all cultist as trophies to the cup. Each investigator that had a trophy returned this way is devoured and a doom token is added to the family

Investigators attack as normal

2nd

The first player may be devoured to remove 2 doom tokens from the family

The Family Devourers each investigator with 3 or less fight.

3rd

Each investigators will is reduced by 1. If this reduces a investigators will below 0 their devoured.

Investigators attack as normal

Don't really like three but just thought of them...plus they need names and some flavor text!

The Message said:

SE only exports in zip and my winzip just expired.

There are several free zip tools out there. Here's one of them.

Cheers,
Chris

Thelric said:

The Message said:

SE only exports in zip and my winzip just expired.

There are several free zip tools out there. Here's one of them.

Cheers,
Chris

Thank you!

Anything for a Loyal Minion of Tru'Nembra. Wait. You're only semi-loyal? Bah! I renounce my assistance! Now go get T.N. that sheet music it wanted.

Better less powerful versions.

Rosa-Mystica.jpg

Mercury-Lampe-1.jpg

Why not make the Rosa Mystica do something else beside the discard gig for example +lore checks and bring the cost down $6 seems to much after all the Necromonica cost this much!

Wrong one uploaded.

Rosa-Mystica-1.jpg

This is a AO that my friends and I created for a story:

8dc958442e7e.jpg

His cultist are actually more frightening than he is but that is all part of the fun. Also don't use him with the Black Goat of the Woods unless you like monster mayhem.

LOOOL! Sephiroth and Kefka as Great Old Ones. I made a Jenova Great Old One and a Sephiroth investigator along with lots of cards exclusively for sephiroth. I think I'll upload them :P also made a new mechanic (the Messenger Mechanic) for Jenova and Sephiroth in witch at a certain point, Sephiroth will win only if Jenova wins and he will not fight Jenova in the final battle.

Dark Jco. said:

This is a AO that my friends and I created for a story:

8dc958442e7e.jpg

His cultist are actually more frightening than he is but that is all part of the fun. Also don't use him with the Black Goat of the Woods unless you like monster mayhem.

Hm.... I like this guy. Turning cultists into hordes of spawning monsters is a pretty cool idea. Question though. Does a cultist only appear when a new gate opens, or also for monster surges?

Btw, for your Ever Present Cult section, the name for them is a gate, not a portal. Although yes, gates are portals, that's not what they're called in the game terminology.

Oh, and in a non-game feature :') nice art. To me, a selection of artwork can really make or break a custom card. I don't want to fight an Ancient One that looks like Donald Duck— I don't care how well designed he is ;') so, kudos all around.

Avi_dreader said:

Hm.... I like this guy. Turning cultists into hordes of spawning monsters is a pretty cool idea. Question though. Does a cultist only appear when a new gate opens, or also for monster surges?

Btw, for your Ever Present Cult section, the name for them is a gate, not a portal. Although yes, gates are portals, that's not what they're called in the game terminology.

Oh, and in a non-game feature :') nice art. To me, a selection of artwork can really make or break a custom card. I don't want to fight an Ancient One that looks like Donald Duck— I don't care how well designed he is ;') so, kudos all around.

Fortunatly enough no cultists appear on monster surges. Not for any real theamatic reason, though, but simply because I didn't have enough space to add extra the extra rules text that would be needed.

Good eye on the game term. I didn't even realize I had written it wrong until you said something. I usually say portal when playing so I didn't even think to look up the term when designing this bad boy.

Thanks about the art. It is amazing what Google will turn up under the right search perameters.

img15.imageshack.us/img15/4302/carddeck1.jpg

(treat the energy immunity on the worm as magical immunity. these are from are from an expansion I make where "energy" replaces "magical" for flavor reasons)

uvfrontside.jpg

Unlike most Ancient Ones, Uv has 32 cards in its Plot deck. Why? Because its attack is random; it borrows powers from the other Ancient Ones. Note: You don't need to use the Epic Battle rules to play against Uv. The Plot cards don't inherently alter the Investigators' attacks. If you are using the Epic Battle rules, any time the Battle card has Uv attack normally, you draw a Plot card...because that is Uv's attack. (When fighting Uv, "A Sinister Plot" equates to "The investigators don't attack this round.")

Uv's Plot cards are here: http://img22.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=carddeck1.jpg

And, yes, some of his attacks are pretty nasty. Especially "Any investigator who isn't Blessed is devoured ."

EDIT: It's pretty irritating to have to go through three webpages just to be able to read each page of cards, so here are the Plot cards, sans image:

A. Each investigator must discard a total of 3 Clue tokens, monster trophies, gate trophies, and/or Items or be devoured .

B. The investigators must, as a group, choose one Ally in play or one investigator. If an Ally is chosen, it is returned to the box. If an investigator is chosen, that investigator is devoured .

C. If Uv has Physical Resistance, it gains Physical Immunity for the rest of the battle. If Uv has Magical Resistance, it gains Magical Immunity for the rest of the battle. Draw another Plot card.

D. If Uv has Magical Resistance or Magical Immunity, it gains Physical Resistance for the rest of the battle. If Uv has Physical Resistance or Physical Immunity, it gains Magical Resistance for the rest of the battle. Draw another Plot card.

E. Add a doom token to Uv's doom track, then draw another Plot card.

F. Each investigator's maximum Sanity and maximum Stamina are each reduced by 1.

G. Uv does not attack this round.

H. For each location that was sealed when Uv awakened, remove a doom token from the doom track. Draw that many additional Plot cards. All of them are resolved.

I. The first investigator is devoured .

J. Raise the terror level by 1. If it is 10 or higher, all Investigators are devoured .

K. If X is less than the current terror level, set X to the current terror level. Draw another Plot card.

L. Each investigator loses 2 Sanity.

M. Uv's combat rating improves by -1 for the rest of the game. Draw another Plot card.

N. Investigators must roll a die for every item they have, discarding them on a failure. Any investigator with no items left is devoured .

O. Each investigator loses 2 Stamina.

P. Each investigator loses 1 Clue token. Any investigator with no Clue tokens left is devoured .

Q. Each investigator loses 1 monster trophy. Any investigator with no monster trophies left is devoured .

R. Investigators discard all of their Clue tokens.

S. Each investigator must discard 2 monster trophies and 1 gate trophy or be devoured .

T. Each investigator loses 2 Sanity and/or Stamina, split between the two however he likes.

U. If X is less than the number of Clue tokens left on the board, X is set to that number. Draw another Plot card.

V. The first player rolls dice equal to his focus. If he does not roll at least one success, he is devoured . If he rolls two or more successes, he is Blessed .

W. Any investigator who isn't Blessed is devoured .

X. Each investigator is Cursed . Any investigator that already has a Curse is devoured .

Y. Each investigator loses 1 Sanity and 1 Stamina.

Z. Each investigator loses 1 gate trophy. Any investigator with no gate trophies left is devoured .

@. Add 1 doom token to Uv's doom track for each gate that was open when it awakened, then draw another Plot card.

&. The investigators need 1 extra success to remove each doom token for the rest of the battle. Draw another Plot card.

%. Each investigator loses 3 Stamina or 3 Sanity (his choice).

#. Each investigator draws an Injury card and a Madness card, then loses 1 Stamina for each Injury he has and 1 Sanity for each Madness he has.

o.0. Each investigator must discard a Skill or be devoured .

x_x. The first player draws a Corruption card, then rolls a die for each Corruption he has. On a failure, the investigator is devoured . If the Corruption deck is empty, all investigators are devoured .

secard51069.jpg

I almost love Uv, but automatically failing all Luck checks is a bit extreme and not very fun. Maybe incease the difficulty of all Luck checks by 1 or 2? That makes them much tougher, without making Lore the obvious choice for every investigator.

I'm not sure about the final battle, it may actually be too easy due to such unfocused attacks, but I'd have to actually play it to see. The concept is awesome though.

Nar Knyga is pretty cool, especially since we need more Corruption involvement. I don't have BGoTW yet (I know, I know...), so I can't actually test it, but he looks decent enough. Cultists will finally be scary, especially after a few gates have been sealed.

Originally Uv started with either Magical or Physical Immunity , but a friend suggested that was too powerful. Also, the Inexorable ability was this: "Whenever a Gate opens, roll a die. On a failure, add an extra doom token to the doom track." That got nixed as well, for obvious reasons.

The attacks are unfocused, but it's also very scary. The players don't know what to expect, so they have to try to stock up on everything . Though I haven't actually playtested Uv yet.

Nar Knyga is one of my attempts to make Corruption cards come up more often. I'm glad you like him too.