Custom Great Old Ones

By ThorGrim2, in Fan Creations

So for my brother's birthday who is a huge fan of this boardgame I decided to make an lore appropriate redition of the Ancient One sheet. The idea behind this is to demonstrate the chaos and madness of the Cthulhu Mythos and the distruction caused from the multiple influences that the GOOs bring. Photo credits go toward the people who made the artwork that I lovingly used from google search

tumblr_mo29saLH9Y1suj1nmo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mo29saLH9Y1suj1nmo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mo29saLH9Y1suj1nmo1_1280.jpg

I could not figure out where to add this flavor text but it seemed appropriate

"Successfully banishing the old one: The investigators, though preventing unimaginable horrors from entering into our world, have only succeeded in interrupting the court which strives to appease The Mad God. Though safe for now Azathoth has awakened from his slumber and the world is surely doomed. ".

Also any suggetions would be nice as I was at a loss for what Epithets to use for the heralds.

whoops small typo, the many cults activates when you initiate combat on a cultist not when it is drawn.

Here is a text version of the whole thing.

The Court of Azathoth

Attack Modifier: -?

Doom token slots: 14

Worshipers:

Worshipers of those who reside in Azathoth's court spread the madness of those that dwell among the stars. When encountering a cultist roll a die;

-On a 1, the investigator encountered a member of the Esoteric Order of Dagon and a worshiper of the Great Old One Cthulhu . The cultist has a Horror Rating of -2 and a Horror Damage of two sanity. If this cultist token is claimed as a trophy the investigator much draw one Innsmouth Look card

-On a 2, the cultist carries The Yellow Sign and is a harbinger of Hastur . He pledges his life to the King in Yellow. The cultist rides a byakhee mount and is considered Flying with a Combat Rating on -2. If the Cultist of Hastur is taken as a trophy draw one Blight card.

-On a 3, the cultist praises the many masks of Nyarlathotep and is considered Endless . If the investigator were to take this cultist as a trophy return it to the box that investigator then must discard three Clue Tokens or become Cursed

-On a 4, Yog-Sothoth 's influence drives the cultists actions, this cultist has Magical Immunity and a Combat Rating of -1. If this cultist were to be taken as a trophy place a Gate Token on its location. The cultist is taken as normal but the investigator is pulled into the other world and Delayed (No Doom token is added to the doom track if a portal is added in this way).

-On a 5, The cultist worships the many forms of Yig and has a Combat Rating of +0 and a Combat Damage of 4 Stamina. When defeated if the investigator who claims this trophy is Cursed he is then Devoured .

-On a 6, The cult of the Black Goat is ever prevalent in Arkham, remove one Monster Trophy from the investigator and place it on the board next to the Cultist, the investigator must now fight both the Cultist and the Monster starting with the Monster. If the investigator has no Monster Trophies draw one Monster from the Hexagon Monster Cup and place that one on the board instead (if additional cultists are drawn this way return them to the box and draw a new monster from the box) If the cultist is claimed as a trophy the investigator must discard one monster trophy or be Devoured .

-If an investigator fails to defeat a cultist after combat has been initiated add one Doom Token to the doom track.

Court of Azathoth Power:

The Mythos Stirs:

Place all gate tokens face down, flip them face up once an investigator attempts to enter the gate

When a Mythos card is revealed Arkham is drawn closer into the influence of the great old ones. When a Portal is flipped the Old One who is associated with that portal becomes the dominant presence and their power is used until replaced. If a portal cannot be placed the old ones powers are stalemated and whatever presence is dominant remains so.

-Shudde M'ell's "World Cracking" can be felt Throughout Arkham.

- In Innsmouth, Cthulhu's "Dreams of Madness" are always felt regardless of any gates placed in the region.

-In Dunwich, Yog-Sothoth's "the Key and the Gate" is always felt regardless to Arkham's dominant presence.

- Kingsport's locals feel the same influences of Arkham's horror, however Nyarlathotep endless cult works tirelessly to commune with the thousand masks, add all mask monsters into the monster cup.

For determining the presence felt in Arkham consult the following as Dimensional Portals are Revealed in any location (It may help to keep Tsathoggua, Haster, Cthulhu, Ithaqua, Shub-Niggurath, Yog-Sothoth, and Nyarlathotep's Ancient One sheets on hand for the remainder of the game):

-Lost Carcosa: Haster's "The King in Yellow"

-Yuggoth: Tsathoggua's "Malaise"

-Plateau of Leng: Ithaqua's "Icy Winds"

-The Abyss / The Underworld: Shub-Niggurath's "Black Goat of the Woods"

-R'lyeh: Cthulhu's "Dreams of Madness"

-The Dreamlands / Unknown Kadath: Retain Previous Influence but replace one monster that would be placed with a random Mask monster.

-Another Dimension / Another Time: Yog-Sothoth's "The Key and the Gate"

-Great Hall of Celano: Retain Previous Influences, Investigators may choose to either; Banish one Mask Monster back to the cup but be replaced by two cultists, Remove one Doom Token in Exchange for the terror level increasing by one, or Close a Rift in exchange for a Monster surge.

-City of the Great Race: Retain Previous Influence but replace the first monster to be placed on that gate with a Flying Polyp

Attack:

Start Combat with Nyarlathotep's Plot Cards and only 4 doom tokens on his doom Track. Once defeated place whatever Ancient One that last held dominance in Arkham with 10 doom tokens placed on their Doom Track and use their Plot Cards for the remainder of the fight.

Successfully banishing the old one: The investigators, though preventing unimaginable horrors from entering into our world, have only succeeded in interrupting the court which strives to appease The Mad God. Though safe for now Azathoth has awakened from his slumber and the world is surely doomed.

Sooooooooo…….it's basically like playing with 6 different Ancient Ones in rotation?

Because that's how I'm currently reading it.

I don't think rotation is quite the right term. It's like playing with one Ancient One that has the abilities and influences of all the others. Their effects are felt constantly, just under certain conditions. This is definitely one that you can only really use and enjoy if you have every single expansion which is both good and bad in my opinion. For you and your brother who are obviously huge fans, this is perfect. Any group that is die-hard about the game will probably have a lot of fun with this--hell it's practically a full expansion on its own.

You obviously put a huge amount of thought into this whole set up and I applaude you for the creative way of working it.

Uhm, Is this theme still opened?

Hello everyone!

I play Arkam horror not for long, and 58 pages full of AOs... Still, I had couple ideas, so what do you think about these guys, are they any good or interesting at all?

Also, I'm Russian, so my english no good, sorry.

Harbinger1_1863198_9879961.jpg

Samael1jpg_1195486_9879971.jpg

Edited by MichX0

Cannot open the link MIch! Mind posting directly the image here, so that we can see it?

Don't know how... How about now, working?

Nope. Have you tried using the "insert image" option in the reply format? Third line, just near the "hyperlink" buttons; click there and add the url of the image. This should make the image appear here.

Otherwise there should be a way to up images to your personal gallery on this very site, and insert images from that gallery in your posts (but I still have to figure out how to put stuff in my gallery. Not clear at all)

aao8.jpg if it's working now, problem was in Russian hosting I used. hope so. 9qg0.jpg

Aye, it's working perfectly! Lemme check & comment

Samael

Samael is worshipped by fallen creatures. Cultists have a Horror and Combat rating of -1, gain +1 Tooughness and Physical Resistance. Investigators failing a Horror / Combat check against a Cultist must draw a Madness / Injury and immediately end the combat.

(note: this will create HUGE problems, because basically the investigator remains on the spot with the monster, so next round everything's to be done again, and this can create a loop. What about "investigators failing [...] are driven insane / knocked unconscious and must draw an additional Madness / Injury"?)

Fallen Angel:
During the first Upkeep phase of the game, and then every four turns, every investigator discards any Blessing / Curses he may have and must choose to be Blessed or Cursed. Investigators never roll to discard Curses or Blessings through the game.

(note: this is due to the fact that probably you want them to roll for retainers and so on; additionally, introducing the "discard" clause should clarify the "what if I already have one" question)

(I like this idea, but it's really difficult to keep track of. What about linking the new curses / blessing to closing gates? such as "during the first upkeep [...] and then, every time a gate is closed [...]"

Start of Battle:
Every investigator discards their Blessings / Curses. No investigator can be blessed / cursed until the end of the game.

Attack:
Each investigator must pass a Will (+1) check or draw his choice of an Injury / Madness card. Investigators having a total of 4 Injuries / Madnesses are devoured

(note: beware, this is quite insane. Will is opposite to Fight for almost everyone but Trish; a -5 Combat Modifier is really heavy, so that keeping high Will means being unable to damage the dude, while keeping Fight high means the FB will last 4 turns max - it could be shorter considering the way cultists work)

(you should consider adding a line that forces investigators not to retire, otherwise the game will be quite light onInjuries / madnesses)

Fallen angel
Blessed investigators have their maximum Stamina and Sanity reduced to 2 (suggestion: 3. 2 is too penalizing) unless already lower (note: no need to say current, unless you want to allow them to heal). When a Blessed investigator is knocked unconscious / driven insane, he must draw an extra Injury / Madness or lose all his items and clues.

Cursed investigators reduce all Sanity and Stamina losses and costs by 1 and receive a +2 to all skill checks

No time to cover the second one now; I'll try later (sorry buddy)

thanks very much! some questions I want to ask but this samsung tab is uncomfortable, so better tomorrow from good old pc.

You're welcome :) and sure, whenever you want :)

Here I am.

Samael

Samael is worshipped by fallen creatures. Cultists have a Horror and Combat rating of -1, gain +1 Tooughness and Physical Resistance. Investigators failing a Horror / Combat check against a Cultist must draw a Madness / Injury and immediately end the combat.

(note: this will create HUGE problems, because basically the investigator remains on the spot with the monster, so next round everything's to be done again, and this can create a loop. What about "investigators failing [...] are driven insane / knocked unconscious and must draw an additional Madness / Injury"?)

----> Yes, I see that now, really should be "driven insane/knocked unconcious". Or, maybe, do something like "... must draw a madness / injury, and cultist dissapears in night, move it on black path? Should be interesting with Dunwich - I draw madness, and Cultist moves to Vortex as a bonus. :)

Fallen Angel:

During the first Upkeep phase of the game, and then every four turns, every investigator discards any Blessing / Curses he may have and must choose to be Blessed or Cursed. Investigators never roll to discard Curses or Blessings through the game.

(note: this is due to the fact that probably you want them to roll for retainers and so on; additionally, introducing the "discard" clause should clarify the "what if I already have one" question)

(I like this idea, but it's really difficult to keep track of. What about linking the new curses / blessing to closing gates? such as "during the first upkeep [...] and then, every time a gate is closed [...]"

----> I think whole this idea need some more thinking and balancing... do it like an optional deal? (investigator may choose to be blessed, but...) or allow to choose every upkeep phase, maybe.

Start of Battle:

Every investigator discards their Blessings / Curses. No investigator can be blessed / cursed until the end of the game.

Attack:

Each investigator must pass a Will (+1) check or draw his choice of an Injury / Madness card. Investigators having a total of 4 Injuries / Madnesses are devoured

(note: beware, this is quite insane. Will is opposite to Fight for almost everyone but Trish; a -5 Combat Modifier is really heavy, so that keeping high Will means being unable to damage the dude, while keeping Fight high means the FB will last 4 turns max - it could be shorter considering the way cultists work)

----> True, Yog-Sototh has that, and he is almost undefeatable. Maybe Sneak check then, as we must evade Samael's sword/hammer/fists whatever he have?

(you should consider adding a line that forces investigators not to retire, otherwise the game will be quite light onInjuries / madnesses)

----> I didn't understand, how it can be quite light. Retiring investigator must lose time to trade items with other investigator and whole turn to change character.. Actually, my idea was to force them to retire or risk to be devoured. Or something I see wrong?

And I will be very grateful, if you could look my second AO later, he is like favorite, and I really want to make him work. :)

Edited by MichX0

I put my answers in bold for greater clarity

----> Yes, I see that now, really should be "driven insane/knocked unconcious". Or, maybe, do something like "... must draw a madness / injury, and cultist dissapears in night, move it on black path? Should be interesting with Dunwich - I draw madness, and Cultist moves to Vortex as a bonus. :)

this could also work. If you go with the second one, go with the wording "...and immediately the combat ends. Cultists then move like their dimensional symbol appeared on black". In case you go with the first wording, you should specify that drawing the extra Madness / Injury does not give you any benefit (id est, just to be clear, you can't get the extra Injury card and say "hey, I got an Injury, so I don't have to lose items / clues and I'm restored to the max". This Injury is an extra detriment, not a bonus condition. Still, I like the monsters moving away, could trigger some interesting stuff. Just please use the wording I suggested so that the Dark Druid coul activate the other monsters, Hastur's cultists could fly in the Sky and so on

----> I think whole this idea need some more thinking and balancing... do it like an optional deal? (investigator may choose to be blessed, but...) or allow to choose every upkeep phase, maybe.

The Blessings / Curses idea is totally brilliant and quite new (I made a Herald a life ago with some impossible Blessing penalties, but this is somehow different). I woulnd't allow Investigators to choose: experienced players will simply ditch both offers and play straigthforward (and win the game), while forcing them to take Blessings / Curses could be a lot of fun and offer some strategic diversity to the game. You could twist them in some other ways: "The Dark Curtain : investigators entering OW are automatically Cursed. They never check for Curses during Upkeep in OWs. Blessed investigators entering OWs are devoured" (or similar ideas)

Still, I'd suggest you to run a couple of games with one of these options, so that you can actually check the impact of these ideas on the game (they are really different, and it's difficult to talk about balance without actually having a real playtest to refer to)

----> True, Yog-Sototh has that, and he is almost undefeatable. Maybe Sneak check then, as we must evade Samael's sword/hammer/fists whatever he have?

Sneak could work (also thematically). You could also consider a check like this one: Sneak (+2 - the number of Injuries / Madnesses the player has). Investigators failing the check are devoured (the more you're damaged, the slower you move, the easier is for the AO to struck you with his hammer)

----> I didn't understand, how it can be quite light. Retiring investigator must lose time to trade items with other investigator and whole turn to change character.. Actually, my idea was to force them to retire or risk to be devoured. Or something I see wrong?

Point is that, as soon as the AO is about to wake up, you can have your whole party retired and new investigators arriving, with clues and new items and zero Madnesses / Injuries. If you force them not to retire, then investigators risk to start FB with two or three Injuries / Madnesses each , and this will make FB much more threatening.

Ok, some feedback given on this one. Sure, I'll look at the other one. Probably in half an hour, or so :)

Correction: got some extra-work to do now for my "playtesting job". This noon I'm at work. I'll be back to the second AO tonight, I promise (sorry, thinking about it and rewording it will require 45 minutes or so, and I prefer giving you quality time and not being in a hurry. But I'll cover it)

could also work. If you go with the second one, go with the wording "...and immediately the combat ends. Cultists then move like their dimensional symbol appeared on black". ...so that the Dark Druid coul activate the other monsters, Hastur's cultists could fly in the Sky and so on

Oh yes, that's wisdom and experience I see :) Offtop: still don't know if I'm playing this right. When Dark Druid moves, other monsters move, but does he stay still or move like normal monster?

And another thing happened just yesterday. Hastur and Tulzscha. Elusive monsters ignore investigators for purposes of movement, so cultist must go to the sky when he first moves and then stay there waiting for first elder sign?

Sorry, and another: when monster is "treated like cultist", all effects of AO, Herald and other apply to it or something different?

Sorry to bother, I tried to find answers, but not succeeded yet.

You could twist them in some other ways: "The Dark Curtain : investigators entering OW are automatically Cursed. They never check for Curses during Upkeep in OWs. Blessed investigators entering OWs are devoured" (or similar ideas)

Very interesting. OWs maybe too harsh, but another thought is we could additionally mix something like "when you entering OW, roll a dice and switch blessing<->curse on 1 and 2"

Agree, I'll try to test this next week.

Sneak could work (also thematically). You could also consider a check like this one: Sneak (+2 - the number of Injuries / Madnesses the player has). Investigators failing the check are devoured (the more you're damaged, the slower you move, the easier is for the AO to struck you with his hammer)

What I like in "4 or more madnesses/injuries", it provides much more random. You have right to fail check couple times, but you have risk to be devoured not only for having 4 traumas, but for having matching traumas and from traumas themselves. Broken arm during final battle is great evil! :)

Point is that, as soon as the AO is about to wake up, you can have your whole party retired and new investigators arriving, with clues and new items and zero Madnesses / Injuries. If you force them not to retire, then investigators risk to start FB with two or three Injuries / Madnesses each , and this will make FB much more threatening.

Well, still it requires investigators have plenty of time, cleared the board from monsters and other good luck that's not gonna happen under cursed blessings of fallen angel :) But you right, need some testing.

(One more thing here is -5 and Physical immunity - usually when I play it's hard work for all team to find/buy enough unique weapons and spells to be more or less sure to win)

And there are some language difficulties I found now:
Fallen Angel:

Not only rolls, but they also have to ignore encounters and other effects that say "you blessed/cursed". Wait, that's an opportunity for mix! If encounter says f.e. "you blessed", you just change sign from + to - or otherwise :)

Blessed investigators have their maximum Stamina and Sanity reduced to 2 (suggestion: 3. 2 is too penalizing) unless already lower (note: no need to say current, unless you want to allow them to heal).

But there are some encounters that could change maximum san/sta. I wanted to be sure such things affect only original max, not reduced. How do I say "maximum current each moment while you blessed"?

Correction: got some extra-work to do now for my "playtesting job". This noon I'm at work. I'll be back to the second AO tonight, I promise (sorry, thinking about it and rewording it will require 45 minutes or so, and I prefer giving you quality time and not being in a hurry. But I'll cover it)

Oh, now I feel uncomfortable with all this stuff, of course I'll be waiting and thanks again. Good luck with playtesting!

Dont' feel uncomfortable for anything :D I do this because I love this game, this community and helping whenever I can. Just don't worry if you don't read anything for a couple of days or more. It's just a matter of priorities (first: the real job so that I can pay fo bills; then the job as playtester, which has deadlines to respect; finally the help in the forum) :D

So, good questions. With order:

a) Dark Druid: that's actually a clever question. The Dark Druid moves normally, and then all the other monsters move. But he moves. Otherwise it'd have been worded "instead of moving, other monsters move" or something similar. So, unless there is something in play affecting Cultists movement, every time the Hex move, move the Dark Druid as a black bordered monster. If his movement pattern is shown on black on the Mythos, move also the other monsters on the board.

b) Hastur + Tzulscha was FAQed (pag. 31):

Q: How do Cultists move when Hastur [AH] is the Ancient One and Tulzscha is the herald?
A: A Cultist adjacent to a location with an elder sign moves to that location (the Sky is considered adjacent to all locations for this purpose). A Cultist not adjacent to a location with an elder sign moves to the Sky. If a Cultist is adjacent to more than one location containing an elder sign, the first player chooses which of those locations the Cultist moves to.

So, they go for ES and simply ignore Investigators. A really scary combo.

c) correct, everything influecing Cultists do also influence "monsters treated as cultists". So, Children of the Goat will gain Flying with Hastur, trigger Rhan's ability and so on. Plese remember this FAQ entry (pag.35):

Q: If Yig [AH] is the Ancient One, does the Dark Druid reduce his Combat rating from -2 to +0 since he is “treated as a Cultist?”
A: Correct, the Dark Druid is worse instead of better.

Back to Samael in the next answer

What I like in "4 or more madnesses/injuries", it provides much more random. You have right to fail check couple times, but you have risk to be devoured not only for having 4 traumas, but for having matching traumas and from traumas themselves. Broken arm during final battle is great evil! :)

That's correct. I liked it too. You could consider combining the two, or returning to your original intent. The idea was good, moving it to Sneak should fix the "too tough FB" issue

But there are some encounters that could change maximum san/sta. I wanted to be sure such things affect only original max, not reduced. How do I say "maximum current each moment while you blessed"?

Encounters allowing you to change your max are really, really, really rare once you have all encounters mixed in. I'd say they should grant some moments of respite to the poor investigators. If you hit them too strong at the beginning, you cut out tons of resources and make impossible to beat several monsters. That's why I suggested the 3 cap. Additionally, if you use "current" instead of maximum, this simply implies the next stop is the hospital and they are both blessed and healthy. So, I'd go with max, and don't care too much about possible ways to raise the max.

Your other points were fine :) Lemme know in case of further doubts / questions :)

Harbinger

Whorshippers
Harbinger is worshipped by Collectors. Cultists move like Stalkers, have a Horror Rating and a Combat Rating of -3, +1 toughness and gain Endless. If an investigator fails a Horror or a Combat check against a Cultist, he is devoured by the seeker swarm.

(note: it's always important writing +1 Toughness instead of 2 Toughness in case something else - Herald or whatelse - changes the usual toughness of Cultists)

(additional note: Cultists are too strong. Let's roll the numbers: scoring on average one success in a -3 Horror Check implies rolling 6 dice, which is totally insane. At the same time, 2 toughness with a combat check at -3 implies 9 dice to be rolled. This means you should have on average, in order to be able to beat one cultist, at least 6 dice for the Horror Check and at least 9 dice for the Combat check. I'd rather prefer fighting the Dunwich Horror - it gives me a reward - rather than one of these guys. You should consider lowering the penalty to -2 and maybe having investigators going LiTaS, OR decide which check triggers the devouring, Horror or Combat, not both. And this should be done because there are tons of cultists spawn directly by the AO)

Assuming direct control
When a doom token is placed on an even space on the doom track, draw Mythos Cards until a card depicting a gate is drawn. Then spawn there a Cultist. Investigators must fight or evade a Cultist (as if they had just drawn "a monster appears" encounter) before attempting to close a gate.

The second part is a little obscure. It's something like: "After passing a Horror check against a Cultist, an investigator may choose to immediately spend 10 clue tokens to be devoured and place an Infiltration token on Harbinger's sheet. If Harbinger awakens, remove immediately three doom tokens from its track for each Infiltration token on its sheet. If the doom track reaches zero in this way, Harbinger is immediately defeated"? (sorry if I look pedantic, but there are several ways to read the last paragraph)

(note: sealing happens simply spending clues after a check to close a gate, so that "before sealing" actually has not much sense)

(no need to say "if there are no cultists in the cup". We have 9 regular cultists in the cup, plus the 3 Children of the Goat, plus a Dark druid, which are all treated as cultists, so we have a total of 12 cultists in the cup. It's rather improbable that you'll ever run out of cultists. Still, it's really boring - sorry - to search the cup for cultists every bloody time a doom token triggers one, or a gate has to be sealed, so maybe you could consider creating a cultists cup at the beginning of the game and have them gain Spawn instead of Endless.)

(final note on the 10 clue paragraph: it's not working buddy. Too many resources to risk, and in general, too strong and too many cultists)

Start of Battle
It takes twice as many successes as usual to remove each doom token from Harbinger's doom track

(note: this is the correct wording; still, it's certainly NOT a Start of Battle ability, which should be a unique event happening only at the beginning of FB)

Attack
Again, this is really confusing. I tried to figure out what you intended, but I failed. Could you provide an example of a FB combat round?

Final Consideration: the AO is far too brutal. Cultists are oppressive, and in no way beatable unless some fixes are done. The core game is so tough most of the people playing will probably go for a FB assault, focusing on shopping and gathering some clues with one or two investigators, so that they could default a Bank Loan with the kamikaze, shop the UI deck with the others, and the two suicidal guys could immolate against cultists and spend the clues so that the AO start FB with -6 doomers.

Hello! Good guy repaired my notebook, now I'm here again.

Thanks again for your replies, and now I should explain something about this Harbinger and my intents about it.

Harbinger is a Reaper from Mass Effect videogame (you din't play it, if I understang correctly). "Reapers are a highly advanced machine race of synthetic-organic starships. The Reapers reside in dark space, the vast, mostly starless space between galaxies. They hibernate there, dormant for fifty thousand years at a time, before they are given the signal to return" and destroy all organic forms of life. Only few are allowed to survive and start building new civilization.

So, I wanted Harbinger to be very strong, almost impossible to defeat. But, as I feared and you agreed, there is main problem with Cultists. Harsh truth is I couldn't think of something better that time and posted "as it is" to see what experienced players tell (Maybe for skilled investigators it's too easy, I thought :) Also the diffulty was I can't print out custom monsters for now.

Well, now I had some serious thought about both AOs using your help and maybe have interesting solutions. Hope when it's done, it will be good enough to both of us agree, that time wasn't wasted for nothing. I'll try to present it as soon as possible.

(note: it's always important writing +1 Toughness instead of 2 Toughness in case something else - Herald or whatelse - changes the usual toughness of Cultists)

This time I wanted to give monters fixed parameters. Probably I should add something like "no heralds can change these parameters", how do you think, what should I do about it? (Well, I understand custom monsters are better, but...)

Also funny thing, I miscalculated and thought that there are only 6 cultists. And I need now to add something like "but not treated as cultists monsters". Or it will be bad decision?

additional note: Cultists are too strong

Agree, that will be changed completely.

The second part is a little obscure. It's something like: "After passing a Horror check against a Cultist, an investigator may choose to immediately spend 10 clue tokens to be devoured and place an Infiltration token on Harbinger's sheet. If Harbinger awakens, remove immediately three doom tokens from its track for each Infiltration token on its sheet. If the doom track reaches zero in this way, Harbinger is immediately defeated"? (sorry if I look pedantic, but there are several ways to read the last paragraph)

(note: sealing happens simply spending clues after a check to close a gate, so that "before sealing" actually has not much sense)

Almost. "If there are 4 infiltration tokens on Harbinger's sheet, investigators immediately won" - so there's another way to win. I wanted to make winning by sealing gates more difficult, but give investigators another ways to win (easier final battle or completely destroy Harbinger). So point is you may close the gate, but fight if you want to seal it.

(some other things I should've mention before.

If an investigator fails a Horror or a Combat check against a Cultist, he is devoured by the seeker swarm.

Collectors using seeker swarm, something like paralyzing bees. Paralyzed victims were then abducted to collectors mothership and recycled into some kind of building material for building another Reaper (or simply devoured in our context). That's why I wrote "paralyzed by swarm and devoured", some kind of athmosphere...

Also Harbinger can assume direct control of any Collector he likes. So I thought if there's a mental/energy connection between them or something, then collector with many clues can use this connection to damage Harbinger using his servants.

(final note on the 10 clue paragraph: it's not working buddy. Too many resources to risk

Think it could work after solving cultists problem. Well, maybe 10 clues is too much, need to think about it. Make it 5 clues and something else, maybe. Didn't understand about risk, you simply give away clues and life to damage Harbinger and have more chances in the final battle (or even defeat him before the battle).

Start of Battle
It takes twice as many successes as usual to remove each doom token from Harbinger's doom track

(note: this is the correct wording; still, it's certainly NOT a Start of Battle ability, which should be a unique event happening only at the beginning of FB)

Attack
Again, this is really confusing. I tried to figure out what you intended, but I failed. Could you provide an example of a FB combat round?

That's what happens when you don't do your homework... I can watch english movies without subtitles but don't remember grammar or times at all. One way connection :)

I'll try to explain. You need two less succeses, not more. So, f.e. 6 investigators must do 4 succeses to remove doom token.

Battle begins. 6 investigators. We choose Daisy Walker to disable Harbinger's shields and Lily Chen to cover her this round. That's also an allusion to final battle in Mass Effect :)

Daisy and Lily don't attack this round. (So that's the reason I should've put a note "must be played with at least three investigators, but no space left on the AO's sheet)

Daisy must pass Lore check. If she doesn't, other 4 investigators don't attack this round because of shields.

Lily must pass Fight check. If she doesn't, Daisy and Lily both devoured (overwhelmed by Collectors and their Swarm).

So, there are combinations: Daisy pass, Lily pass - good. Daisy pass, Lily fail - investigators attack, but both Daisy and Lily devoured. Daisy fail, Lily pass - no one attacks, but everybody alive. Both failed - you know...

Additionally, each investigator but Daisy and Lily loses 2 stamina or/and sanity if he didn't throw at least 2 successes in his attack on AO. So if Daisy fails, no investigator can attack and loses sta/san.

So, Samael 1.1 :) Don't know about this pseudoherald decision, but he has too much text...

13ye8v8.jpg 15fmbmq.jpg

Mich, be patient with the answer. I'll be back at you before the week ends :)

No problem, I just post as promised. Harbinger 1.1 is coming soon, will be something to talk about :)