Custom Great Old Ones

By ThorGrim2, in Fan Creations

Sure, you should specify on the AO that the Vayens return to this sheet when defeated. Just to make things a little nastier (and challenging), I'd suggest you that investigators cannot seal a gate if this makes the number of ES on the board equal to the number of Vayens on the AO sheet. Plus, make them roll one die during the final battle. No successes offers you a Blessing. Otherwise the risk is that you have a bunch of blessing investigators slaughtering the poor AO (rolling no successes on two Blessed dice is a 1 in 4 odd)

As for the other stuff... make the monsters have different movement patterns. The Black Light could be flyer. The Burning Wing could be a terrific Stalker (and reduce the awareness of the monster to -2). The Shining Dark as a fast monster, and the White Flame as a static monster (with an awareness of -2).

Your ideas are really interesting, anyway, just spice them up a little!

Julia said:

Sure, you should specify on the AO that the Vayens return to this sheet when defeated. Just to make things a little nastier (and challenging), I'd suggest you that investigators cannot seal a gate if this makes the number of ES on the board equal to the number of Vayens on the AO sheet. Plus, make them roll one die during the final battle. No successes offers you a Blessing. Otherwise the risk is that you have a bunch of blessing investigators slaughtering the poor AO (rolling no successes on two Blessed dice is a 1 in 4 odd)

As for the other stuff... make the monsters have different movement patterns. The Black Light could be flyer. The Burning Wing could be a terrific Stalker (and reduce the awareness of the monster to -2). The Shining Dark as a fast monster, and the White Flame as a static monster (with an awareness of -2).

Your ideas are really interesting, anyway, just spice them up a little!

Normally I won't deal with an AO that has extra print outs, but I have to admit, I really like this one ;')

Seconding what Julia said, but I wanted to add that if you change the movement patterns, you should make the ones that move around not elusive, possibly make them stronger to compensate. Although it'd be fun to make sure that at least one of them is elusive, if I were designing this, I'd make it the one that moves around on the board :') that'd make catching it quite the exciting hunt.

A potentially interesting change you could make to The Shining dark is making it so that whenever it moves into a space containing investigators, have them all be immediately driven insane. (Sort of like Werewolf, but much nastier).

Also, you need to specify *when* the weapons or spells used vs. green moon are discarded, at the end of combat, or at the end of a round of combat.

@Julia

Yeah, you're right about the going back to the card, and probably about the elder signs equal to the number, not +1. I'll change them in the next version of Cyaegha. Also, you're probably right about the two dice... Being blessed for four turns will probably make short work of the big eye guy.

@All

I am a little leery of making them too murderous to players who do not want to fight them, they're supposed to wait and guard Cyaegha, not go forth and kill everything in their path - something you go through, not that gets you. That's why I made them all evasive, so they could be dodged if desired.

However, now that you guys bring it up, I suppose they could use a bit of teeth - perhaps mobile and no evasiveness but with pretty easy awarenesses so they seem scary without killing people THAT often.

How about this...

The Black Light - Stays evasive but gets the movement rules of the Green Moon - between evasion and fluttering all over the place, very hard to catch and kill.

The Burning Wing - Becomes a fast monster, stops being evasive and with an awareness modifier of +0.

The Green Moon - Stops being evasive, -1 awareness. Does not move normally, but whenever a gate is closed, he immediately moves to that location. Also, make it clearer it is after a combat check, not the entire fight.

The Shining Dark - Stalker, and stops being evasive, -1 awareness, so if you fail to sneak away from it, good chance it'll drive you insane unless you walk around with massive Will.

The White Flame - Stationary, but has a decent awareness (say, -2), so its location is actually quite hard to get past without running into the White Flame.

I toyed with making the Black Light a flyer (the picture does have wings after all), but I wanted it to stay evasive as it fits the creature well, and having a monster descend from the skies onto a helpless player only to... hide from him seems somewhat odd.

Thanks for the feedback, tell me what you think of these changes please :)

Adelphophage said:

The Black Light - Stays evasive but gets the movement rules of the Green Moon - between evasion and fluttering all over the place, very hard to catch and kill.

I liked all of the changes, except this one. I feel like it's not very threatening, just a bit of a pain and will be very easy to defeat in combat once someone can pass the evade check. I'd have it make people LITAS if they failed their combat or horror check against it also.

Also, the reason why flying can be annoying (in a good way), is you have to wait for a flying monster to come down from the sky (i.e. 33% chance per turn), so you have to plan ahead, it's not like elusive monsters are actually hard to track on foot :') just to engage in combat with. But giving it The Green Moon's movement type is a much better idea ;'D

Anyway, all in all, very cool designs.

I take your point about the flying, but I'd really hate to lose a game because bad luck made them stay up in the sky for six or so straight turns... Having him pop from location to location makes him always at least theoretically possible to catch. And good call on the LiTaS instead of dealing damage ;)

Also, Cyaegha now only causes you to roll one dice for being blessed/eaten, thanks Julia.

Latest and probably final version of the Vaeyen.

*The -3 Awareness on the Black Light should be green, I know...

Card-Deck-1-3.png

Everything's good, but "encounter" the shining dark doesn't mean anything in game jargon. Do you mean evade, or enter combat with, or both?

What about pseudo-flying? Burning Wing moves every Mythos Phase (Green). If there are an even number of seals on the board, immediately move it to the Sky. If there are an odd number of seals on the board, draw a Mythos card and place the Burning Wing at the gate shown on that card. Now you won't lose 'cos of an airborne Burning Wing, but the players won't know where it's going to appear next and will have to plan accordingly.

Jake yet again said:

What about pseudo-flying? Burning Wing moves every Mythos Phase (Green). If there are an even number of seals on the board, immediately move it to the Sky. If there are an odd number of seals on the board, draw a Mythos card and place the Burning Wing at the gate shown on that card. Now you won't lose 'cos of an airborne Burning Wing, but the players won't know where it's going to appear next and will have to plan accordingly.

Could be both interesting and annoying, or terribly boring by game's end if you're hunting for the sixth seal

Avi_dreader said:

Everything's good, but "encounter" the shining dark doesn't mean anything in game jargon. Do you mean evade, or enter combat with, or both?

Supposed to be enter combat with, amended, thanks.

@Jake

As for the Burning Wing getting psuedo flying... The Burning Wing is not supposed to be stealthy, it's supposed to roam around and be in your face, because it knows you need a very specific kit to beat it (an ally and a good spell or two) you are unlikely ot have, especially early in the game. The Black Light is supposed to be the sneaky one, is that what you were referring to?

Zoth-Ommog, Great Old One

I noticed that versions of Zoth-Ommog posted earlier by players have been deleted, so here's what I came up with for this Ancient One:

Zoth-Ommog-Front-Face.jpg

The Zoth-Ommog Token, given to the investigator grappled by Zoth-Ommog:

Zoth-Ommog-Token.png

And the Tentacle of Zoth-Ommog:

Tentacle-of-Zoth-Ommog-Front-Face.jpg Tentacle-of-Zoth-Ommog-Back-Face.jpg

What happens if tentacle kills investigator or drives him insane?

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

What happens if tentacle kills investigator or drives him insane?

The investigator is sent to St. Mary's Hospital or Arkham Asylum as normal. The tentacle uses the same game mechanics as the Tendril of Nyogtha (from Innsmouth Horror), which is what I modeled the Tentacle of Zoth-Ommog after.

I can guess it. The point is sheet doesn't states it. It states what happens if tentacles is defeated or evaded, but doesn't states what happens if defeats.

Something I came up with:

scyllay.png

charybdis.png

The "Upon the Cliffs" and "beneath the Waves" abilities are probably a bit too harsh. On the other hand I was thinking of giving Scylla Magical Resistance and Charybdis Physical Resistance, but I thought it might be too much.Thoughts?

I hate Rhan-Tegoth. I like the story and the creature, but the in game Ancient One is just a chore, Worshipped by ONE monster from a different expansion, and has a short doom track that occassionally, totally randomly, gains doom and there's nothing you can do about it other than cross your fingers when monsters are drawn. It's very uninteractive and not fun to play against.

So, I'm thinking about a revised and fun one. Same final battle rules, but Ancient One powers are...

Horror at the Musuem: When a monster in the Uptown or Merchant District streets moves, or a monster in the sky cannot move due to no investigators being accessible, they move to the Miskatonic University streets.

Insatiable Hunger: At the beginning of the Mythos phase, return all Monsters in the Miskatonic University Streets to the cup. Add one doom to Rhan-Tegoths track for each monster removed this way.

Worshipper abilities...

Rhan Tegoths worshippers bring sacrifices to their master, and yearn to be sacrificed themselves. Whenever a Monster Surge occurs, place an additional Monster at the Admininstration building. When a cultist is placed on the board, place it in the Administration building instead of its original location.

Note, that as they get eaten at the start of the Mythos phase, the investigators have a turn to kill anything that's wound up there.

I decided to do some revisions to two Ancient Ones that I had posted earlier: Cyaegha and Polypous Magnus.

PolypousMagnus.jpg

His Start of Battle ability comes from the fact that Flying Polyps can render themselves invisible.

Cyaegha.jpg

Cyaegha's attack has changed, and now has a Start of Battle abiity that modifies her Combat Rating based on how many Nagaae and Cultists are in Arkham when she awakens. Speaking of the Nagaae, here is the new Nagaae monster marker:

Nagaae-Front-Face.jpg Nagaae-Back-Face.jpg

At most you will need 8, since a maximum of 8 gates can be open in a one or two player game before the Ancient One awakens.

These look truly amazing!!!!….I'm to the community….I was wondering if anyone had ideas for "Classic Killer" Great Ones (Jason, Michael Myers, etc)? cool.gif

7314830704_9e845549a7_b.jpg

Too hard? Too easy? Any feedback appreciated. Particularly if anything can think up a more interesting final battle ability.

Don't worry about what a Yugg is, it's a monster I'm gonna make.

Looks very interesting! 48 clues in the game, thirty to seal six gates… Which leaves 18 to play with for not getting killed and dealing with Elder Signs, will make the game very tense and really limit your ability to blow clues on things.

The only problem I could see is that if you *do* run out the game might become a bit stagnant - say we have eight clues left and one gate to seal, and we get a burst. We *know* we can't possible win by sealing now (bar a flukey Elder Sign draw), so we just have to wait for the GOO to awaken, which might take quite a few turns of relative boredom, but it's a minor criticism, and I guess we could probably use the time to gear up.

For the combat ability, how about just upping the stakes. Each investigator must make a Fight (+2) check, with the modifier decreasing by 1 every turn. If they fail, they are devoured.

Adelphophage said:

We *know* we can't possible win by sealing now (bar a flukey Elder Sign draw), so we just have to wait for the GOO to awaken, which might take quite a few turns of relative boredom, but it's a minor criticism, and I guess we could probably use the time to gear up.

Don't forget you can score a closing gates victory! And sure, a gate burst can be a problem, but this could force the investigators to find a better strategy during the game (no gate bursts at certain locations, hence more focus on low freq ones and more monster surges). It's interesting.

I'd go with a shorter doom track. 12 seems fair to me, or even 11, if you want to rush the things a little. But good ideas :-)

ossadagowah1.png

Alright, here's one I came up with. I'll admit that I came up with the abilities of this Ancient One first, then came up with an identity to go with it. I used Ossadagowah because barely anything is known about him beyond where he lives, his heritage, his appearance, and the fact that he's called "The Sky Devil."

Technically, it's an AO transforming Flyers in Fast Flyers, but has no other impact on the game. Maybe you should work a little on something making Flyers much more annoying? Like allowing them to enter all unstable locations and giving them two extra toughness?

It should make Cultists into flying monsters too. Then they can appear, fly up, and land on you without warning, and they are hard to evade. (Easy to fight, of course, but fighting delays you for the turn, so they'd actually be a bit of a nuisance.)

The main game ability is phrased in a slightly confusing way. All effects take place, then special effects don't? Try this:

"When an Environment (Weather) or Environment (Mystic) Mythos card is drawn, resolve the gate opening, monsters, movement and Clue token as normal, then put the card on this sheet without its special effects taking place."

The picture's a bit generic too - and upside-down of course. For something a bit more unusual, try taking a crop of this: http://attachments.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1132564&stc=1&d=1293754005

That picture is awesome and you should feel awesome.

Thank you. This is precisely the sort of advice and assistance I need.

I rephrased the ability like you said. I also changed it so that Cultists are Flying -- though I'm considering have it be Formless Spawn that get Flying (SInce he's Tsathoggua's son). Or maybe both?

While were at it, here's another one I'm not entirely happy with. There's too much text for my taste, and it feels a bit… hodge-podge. Or maybe the word I'm looking for is "busy," or "muddled." something like that.

aphoomzhah1.png

Has anyone tried making a ZALGO ancient one? I'd imagine it's effects would involve extra sanity costs for tomes and monsters appearing in stable locations.

(In fact, someone might want to make a expansio based on the fear mythos some time.)