Docking Bay 327 (Martin's painting workshop)

By Ghosthacked, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

#60 Last ace! Black Ace flown by Griff Halloran. Group shot coming soon.
1. Seemed to struggle with this guy a bit. There are a lot of lines and designs and layers everywhere. It's a pretty intricate ship.
2. Size, spoke to Mel about this already but the size is kinda of off. It's so much bigger than the other aces so seems a bit out of place.
3. Love the ship design. Start with a TIE and go aggressive and go nuts. and mostly black.
White Mr Hobby Surfacer 1500 primer
No proper base just went over the primer.
Eshin Grey, Administratum Grey, Pallid Wych Flesh and Abbadon Black
thin Contrast Apothecary White on the flesh to get the contrast and pull back a bit from the bone color
Nuln Oil and Tamiya Panel Line
Ardcoat over the Abbadon Black canopy as usual
DQ1o9GC.jpg mpm02O6.jpg N8AKgZ1.jpg Fw9VtzB.jpg fUUTVZm.jpg Q1irGFm.jpg
Edited by Ghosthacked

Those are just amazing! Thank you for posting, it's great to see all the Aces in the same place with such incredible paintjobs.

And yes, about the size of the Black Ace, the thing is that if you scale the TIE cockpit and the astromech droid, the fighter should be larger than the rest of the Aces, but in the show, every shot of the fighter next to the other fighters it has been scaled down to fit their sizes. My guess is that they designed the ship and then cheated in the animation to make it smaller than it should.

I decided to go with the original large size so it would look nice next to the other TIEs.

Thanks Mel!

Yes this is the discussion we had. Without the luxury of television where things can change when they need to.

Are you going to do any more ships from this show? There are the pirate one's and Yeager's ship, his brother and Rucklin.

I found this image that shows the relative sizes.

Screenshot.thumb.png.afd9d5a0f0a7030b7f62285880ba36db.png

Here you go! the group shot of the Colossus Aces from Resistance.

VDthRvT.jpg DLFaRoJ.jpg 4UwCXsd.jpg LZOeIjj.jpg Q10ga80.jpg t6b8w8R.jpg

#61 and my last Firespray (for now?) Wanted to do something really different for this one. Ghost Squadron-ish but really like how this color scheme works with white red black. I took inspiration from Kabuki masks and anime robot stuff.
1. So got down the basecoat and actually managed to squeeze in a new technique here. Liquid mask for weathering. I saw the Vallejo video and you brush some of it on and flick some off your brush as well to get some really nice effect. Feels nice to rub it off after too.
2. The red is all freehand. The hardest part is trying to nail the symmetry but I find I really like using the brush to get these smooth sweeping curves.
3. Not entirely happy with the weathering. I went too heavy with it and it looks a bit too dirty for my liking. I intended for the skirt to look like it was darker than the top.
4. Painting the circle things was fun. Came out just how i expected.
5. Another new thing here is using a 0.1 Artline pen for the dot patterns. Really happy with how those came out.
6. The back is done with enamel washes from AK. Nice and grimy and looks really good after the White Spirit rub to bring back the highlights.
Started with Contrast Apothecary white but went over it again with Ceramite White base
Ulthuan Grey and Administratum Grey for the layers
Designs and accents with Dawnstone, Abbadon Black and Mephiston Red
Dawnstone and Eshin Grey for the back and internal bits
Ironbreaker for the silver worn parts
Tamiya Black Panel Line thinned back with AK White Spirit
Lothern Blue and White Scar glazes for the engine glow
Masking fluid over the canopy so I don't have to do Abbadon as usual
Coated with final layer of gloss Mr Super Clear on the front and matt on the back this time instead of semi-gloss
x4HWoD1.jpg u3IsP0q.jpg KToA3pV.jpg 8Jk7MjD.jpg WOr3Uek.jpg u6rA5BZ.jpg xuoEUEr.jpg cSyHElX.jpg ArTY6r6.jpg CyfkBWK.jpg dxY3ubY.jpg Lp7vWwZ.jpg 2xC8Kaf.jpg
Edited by Ghosthacked

So with that last Firespray I haven't got any left to paint so might be the last one for a while.

emjEZ2s.jpg VfhaIdK.jpg

Edited by Ghosthacked
#62-63 OK couple of quick ones here. Didn't take much but wanted a couple of these after watching GSP finals and that Oli Aces list looks challenging to fly. Enter Grand Inquisitor and the Baron.
1. The v1 is a pleasure to paint! The panels are so smooth and lots of flat space to have fun.
2. I think I need a 4th one now because I want to do a black one for 7th Sister.
No proper base just went over the primer.
Mephiston Red for the accents
Abbadon Black for the panels
lwoCaAH.jpg JrnD2xs.jpg Fh5RnK8.jpg Cq8UlXj.jpg gpvturf.jpg foXveTd.jpg
#64 Haven't touched this type of scum for a while. Was looking at 2 of my newer acquisitions and decided they shouldn't both be blue.
1. First time working in pinks. I know it should be red but thought this could be slightly different. In the end it still looks kind of red to me.
2. The rebel logo decals are really bright red though, so they are a bit off.
Contrast Apothecary white base
Screamer Pink layer
Pink Horror accents
Thinned Nuln Oil and some Carroburg Crimson
4brSRne.jpg njh9AxH.jpg Is6MT1s.jpg DJmHtnT.jpg

Awesome work, i'd like to ask something i dont know if it was answered in a previous post. Concerning the decals i see you use often, are those printable or is there a store for such small scale decals?

Thank you for sharing these pictures, you are giving me so many ideas for when I paint my ships.

Absolutely. Thats what the thread is for. Share my process and learnings so that anyone else can benefit from it as well.

Talking with some guys on FB and I had a bit of #mindblown
I've found that when trying to do detail lines, the only movement in my hands is my index finger and the brush pressed against my middle finger. My thumb actually doesn't move. Everything else, both hands, elbows, palms pressed together is stationary and braced against the table or my chest. It's exactly how I hold my chopsticks. Only the upper chopstick is moving and that's my brush.
Maybe that will help someone too.
#65 OK lets get technical! I did 2 of these concurrently but mostly because the wait time on the fire. But this is something i've been wanting to do is a Ice and Fire TIEs after I had these ideas with the texture paints. Lets say this one is for Wampa.
1. This was a really interesting learning curve. Ended up doing a lot of research and stuff to settle on the direction I took.
2. It's a bit strange. all the times i've done white drybrush before I ended up with really chalky rough texture effect that I really wanted on this to act as frost. Weird thing is it went on really smooth this time...sigh.
3. I laid down a bit of Mourn Mountain Snow before the Valhallan but i guess in the end it didn't make any difference.
4. Valhallan is a really interesting thing. You really need to scoop it out first then spread it. I feel like it looks overdone in the photos but at table view it looks about right. I struggled to make it look like streaks that was my intention so i mostly tried to focus it along the leading edge.
5. The window tint took a bit of playing but I figured my usual black Abaddon with Aardcoat would look flat. But even then i'm not sure the glazes made enough of a difference.
Ceramite White base
Guilliman Blue layer
Thinned Coelia Greenshade near the bottom for a bit of contrast
Mourn Mountain Snow on the edges but this was all covered up
Valhallan Blizzard for the amazing snow effect
A bit of glazed Lothern Blue to give the snow a little bit of color
Abbadon black canopy with Guilliman blue glaze
gloss Mr Super Clear all over
spzCDQ4.jpg 7GQmyKI.jpg YdDWvmN.jpg XokKRUa.jpg yWhvQh2.jpg 5sTJ4TO.jpg UdGjcD7.jpg dwwV2qN.jpg ETG2zmX.jpg
#66 The other. LOL, should i add one more 6? This was awesome to watch take effect. I think at one point I actually heard the model twitch as the paint was cracking. Scorch ready for duty.
1. I loved how the fire effect turned out with the sponging. I almost wanted to stop there but i pushed forward with my concept.
2. I purposely laid down the dark red first then light red and then from the orange onwards I tried to focus on making rivers as I worked up to the brightest yellow.
3. I'm not sure about the crackle yet because initially I thought I put it on too thin but it might make more sense at this scale. I tried to heap it up more near the bottom for some variance.
4. I initially was going to work this concept with Vallejo crackle medium but I figured just dropping the technical paint would make my life easier for this first run. I can try crackle medium on something else in the future. Maybe something with more colors that aren't available from GW
5. Same thing with the window tint but seems the red takes a bit better than the blue
6. Tried a little bit of glazing OSL along the bottom of the cockpit. Maybe bit too subtle.
Black Mr Hobby Surfacer 1500 primer
Mephiston Red - Wild Rider Red - Troll Slayer Orange - Flash Gitz Yellow - Dorn Yellow layer with sponge
Mordant Earth layer on thicker near the bottom
Abbadon black canopy with Bloodletter glaze
5A2HMcQ.jpg 8qWKvPv.jpg 18Ww3H9.jpg 1KeLJbw.jpg qXuAtXG.jpg 2zaqwXN.jpg uHaZuEe.jpg t3YDoOJ.jpg 4Tz7wMh.jpg Tfm4Afj.jpg Mbh6y2K.jpg Z3kuhKZ.jpg qQPhPs4.jpg
Edited by Ghosthacked

That is so cool.

#67 Finally got around to the alt Kihraxz Fighters that I think I primed a year and half ago. I guess because the model don't have much detail on them. But then it gives some space to do some fun stuff.
1. When i was researching Yakuza designs this one kept coming up that I always thought looked cool but wasn't sure I could pull off. Even then I think i rushed it.
2. Blue is a great color to do freehand with, it flows really nicely. Especially Teclis.
3. The brush is really hard to keep a constant thickness of line on a curve. Most of those arcs have a thicker right side than a left side as mys trokes go from left to right. Don't know the secret to this yet.
4. I cheated with the crest by using a Artline pen.
Gray Mr Hobby Surfacer 1500 primer
Pallid Wych Flesh base
Kantor Blue layer
Teclis Blue accents
Eshin Grey and Dawnstone for undercarriage
Nuln Oil all over the underside nand engines
nNS7s33.jpg us6NSa1.jpg UInWRaS.jpg b66jDo2.jpg
Edited by Ghosthacked
#68 I got a Vaksai and saw a mech piece of art that had this dinosaur type pattern on it and it inspired me to do this version of Captain Jostero. Never wasn't really a fan of the thin tiger stripes on his ship.
1. Back to wet blending! I ended up using 5 colors for the blend but its totally key that contrast is the secret to getting a good effect.
2. Look out for hard lines and with the retarder in the mix I had plenty of time to blur those lines out. The trick was more with how to get down solid layers of color because I kept finding the primer showing through the really wet paint.
3. Used some ink in the black for the stripes and still ended up having to go over the stripes about 3 times.
4. Also tried a few different things for the grime on the bottom. Panel Line in brown, Oilbrusher with Starship Filth that was the final thing I liked after wiping it away.
5. I think this is also the first time i've used multiple shades over a color.
Gray Mr Hobby Surfacer 1500 primer
Pallid Wych Flesh base
Evil Sunz Scarlet - Troll Slayer Orange - Jokaero Orange - Averland Sunset - Yriel Yellow wet blend layer
Abbadon Black w Liquitex Carbon Black stripes
Eshin Grey and Dawnstone for undercarriage
Reikland Fleshshade - Fuegan Orange - Casandora Yellow all over the top
Starship Filth Oilbrush from MIG all over the underside and engines then wiped away
8OYjIJf.jpg nz5YCMw.jpg lwdopGN.jpg aHR9o2Y.jpg 17c3MbC.jpg 4FrBiEG.jpg JW9lMXo.jpg eQbCFDc.jpg wuuOgnp.jpg dioxLfW.jpg
On 5/5/2020 at 10:08 PM, Rookofkings said:

Awesome work, i'd like to ask something i dont know if it was answered in a previous post. Concerning the decals i see you use often, are those printable or is there a store for such small scale decals?

So sorry I totally missed this! A few guys have asked me on FB and I saved my reply here:

Several places. Taiwan, Tokyo, Shanghai, Singapore. So that probably isn't what you wanted to hear if you live in in US or UK but you can try to do a search for anywhere that sells Gunpla. You could also try searching for HIQ Parts. Those are the really good ones I picked up in Japan that I only just used on the Firespray. The latest is now I've been ordering Gundam ones through TaoBao here in Shanghai. The main brand here is Flaming Snow.
#69 This one for Capt. Phasma sat in my queue for quite a while (even before it showed up in the Hotshots pack) because I was honestly a bit scared of using the Molotow. I thought I would mess it up and am still unsure about putting on the layer of varnish incase it messes up the sheen.
1. CHROME! Best in the market from what i've seen by far. Everyone has good things to say about Molotow. The drawback is it seems to burnish very easily and become a matt silver.
2. Also it comes in pens. 1mm and 4mm for me which made it a bit challenging to use because i couldn't get into small nooks so I did a Stormhost Silver base so none of the primer poked through.
3. I actually thought the stormhost looked really good but once the Molotow went on. WOW.
4. So these pics are with no varnish on it. I will probably put a layer on once its had a couple days to cure. I tested on a scrap piece of plastic. Mr Hobby gloss Super Clear muted it completely. Aardcoat was a bit better but you can still see the difference. Then i picked up Vallejo Metal Varnish which has the least interference. If there is a big difference after it goes on i'll post an update.
5. I did a TIE ln with just Stormhost Silver side by side so you can kind of see the difference. The reflectivity only really comes across when its moving.
Gloss Mr Super Clear over the black
Stormhost Silver base
Molotow Liquid Chrome Marker 4mm and 1mm
Abaddon Black to touchup
Maybe Vallejo Metal Varnish all over
zFpddUt.jpg pe2v7Qt.jpg 74KejwB.jpg 8ZGPaQ2.jpg US0xpOK.jpg NVKCYjy.jpg QeONl3Y.jpg L5elIwG.jpg RwQObE9.jpg rfmPESh.jpg GkWvUMH.jpg vPLVBiW.jpg Rk7OdG6.jpg aOs0fu9.jpg
Edited by Ghosthacked

So not a ship in this post but I had this idea when I was doing some minis for Mice and Mystics and found that I only had 1 handle. So i ended up not using it when I faced a queue. So i got about thinking how to have a interchangeable head on the handle.

Thats when I came across this idea. Use bottle tops and fix a standard screw top to the handle. So I can start collecting bottle caps and replace them as and when I need them. The cap in the pics has my XWing base on it.

edyu1dl.jpg 6Kmj4Jt.jpg yFIoBHe.jpg

that is genius.

#70-72 Set of three right here. I always thought the Kimo reminded me of the EVAs (especially 00) so it was a pretty natural scheme to follow then i found these decals and that was it. Get in the Kimo Torani! Neon Genesis Evangelion for the uninitiated.
1. The most challenging part was trying to figure out where to paint the extra lines.
2. Also first try with a metallic to freehand brush streaks. I kept the paint kind of dry-ish.
00EVA - Yriel Yellow base, Dawnstone and White scar layer, Wild Sunz Scarlet accents
01EVA - Xereus Purple base, Warpstone Glow layer, Yriel Yellow accents
02EVA - Wild Sunz Scarlet base, Yriel Yellow and White scar layer, Warpstone Glow accents
Mechanicus Standard Grey internals
Abaddon Black to touchup
semi-gloss Mr Super Clear all over
qMlGtnG.jpg xkmWrir.jpg 7C1MGl5.jpg CCujCeI.jpg ZnFVwx7.jpg AxrZL9J.jpg tbA5jJo.jpg biE9haQ.jpg 4a6FvJf.jpg 6MblIan.jpg NkXWbZT.jpg dx8DAPd.jpg mNXpYRR.jpg d0fNfyF.jpg jDI2kn4.jpg d0fNfyF.jpg

Some local guys I met up with have gotten me into Gaslands so if you care to look I'll link my results there rather than post in-line.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3iL929e

https://imgur.com/gallery/SKUHuND

A lot more build and mod vs mostly just painting for XWing. But great for practicing other new techniques.

I have also gotten into Gaslands recently. I did just a few cars quickly to fit into some quick lists, but just started the first two cars now that I really want to spend time on to make look half way decent. $0.99 is definitely more palatable to try new things on than the $20 X-wing ships though. Maybe when these are cranked out we can have a Gaslands page in the off-topic section.

Also, I'm sure others would love to see your work on the Gaslands discord: https://discord.gg/WfvvRdc .

Thats a promise