Docking Bay 327 (Martin's painting workshop)

By Ghosthacked, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Thats a promise

#73 Had a bit of break from X-Wing because some friends got me into Gaslands but had a game and got slaughtered by triple Silencers so remembered that I never got around to this Empire era Silencer that I wanted to do.
1. Administratum Grey + Nuln Oil = Pretty darn close Imperial Grey look.
2. Those panels on the inside are a real b!tch to get to.
3. No primer, just a matt coat because I really didn't want to paint panels.
Administratum Grey base
Nuln Oil all over
semi-gloss Mr Super Clear all over
Ardcoat over the Abbadon Black canopy as usual
b44wGJr.jpg fSOXf8r.jpg thRhWf7.jpg
Edited by Ghosthacked
#74 Another quick Imperial that I forgot I had. It's a Shapeways print. Again a really simple paint. base - shade - varnish - done.
Administratum Grey base
Nuln Oil all over
kszftgL.jpg zZ5uYZU.jpg 8vMZPy9.jpg
#75 This is the big one! After returning to X-Wing from gaslands I have much more confidence now with modding and I always hated how ugly the Decimator looked. Now I have one that I am proud to fly after getting rid of that dopey conservatory window. It also looks a lot more aggressive now, see what I did there?
1. Cut off the fuselage, chopped it in half and glued the cockpit back after inverting it. This left a huge hole underneath so I filled it with the fuselage of a IG Aggressor and some blister card plastic to fill in the 2 holes that were left. I also relocated the flimsy turrets so they don't stick out and get bent as easily.
2. I used Acetone to try to dismantle the model so it left some really ugly melted parts that were really hard to restore. Next time I'll try to avoid using it if i can.
3. I was a bit intimidated by the size compared to the other models (looking at you Jedi) but found that it wasn't too bad. The panels make it easy to just move around and build up the shades.
4. Detailing this was quite easy too as i just picked out the small panels in green and and exposed wiring with the metal.
5. First time with Vallejo Metal Color and I absolutely agree with all the rave reviews. This paint is amazingly smooth, thin and opaque. I am considering getting rid of all my Citadel Metals. It's so smooth it feels like there is some enamel spirit in it.
6 I also got these really nice flat metal pieces from a supplementary Gundam kit to be glued on and once you prime over them they look part of the model. Great for adding more details to parts that look too flat.
Black Mr Hobby Surfacer 1500
White Mr Hobby Surfacer 1500 dusting from the bottom
Combinations of Contrast Black Templar, Contrast Basilicanum Grey, Corvus Black, Abbadon Black, Eshin Grey, Mechanicus Standard Grey and Dawnstone for some paneling
Masked off stripes with Mephiston Red
Black Tamiya Panel Liner
Vallejo Metal Color Magnesium and Moot Green for some tiny details
Lothern Blue and Ceramite White glazed for the engine glow
Semi-gloss Mr Super Clear all over
Ardcoat over the Abbadon Black canopy as usual with added Blood Angels Red for the tint
Also on the Engines
lUyXDL1.jpg PQN7oSw.jpg KKko3z7.jpg PCVvDhG.jpg wALjDmK.jpg 7zXaZWx.jpg dWoeCYR.jpg 8jnJKil.jpg cSU99AZ.jpg 32ryGxh.jpg 7c7RR4F.jpg oD8nrXQ.jpg fUnABiY.jpg s5jQhy1.jpg UTxTXJr.jpg uzJnEQt.jpg RW8pBHN.jpg PKIxvft.jpg zUBlvId.jpg raLelBX.jpg nNvNP1Z.jpg EWHbdo1.jpg l4crXKC.jpg odskPvd.jpg n2ClV6l.jpg 1ZJQV5M.jpg

Impressive Most Impressive GIFs | Tenor Take All My Money GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

#76 Trying to get this done for a tournament. Getting into trying tractoring. Quite a quick simple job and also to try Nighthaunt Gloom to see the effect.
1. Actually not Very impressed with Nighthaunt. It went on the wings very flat just like a regular layer paint so not sure if i'm using it wrong. So for the fuselage I tried mixing it into some Contrast medium and that gave a much nicer effect.
2. Freehand Cartel logo as well. challenging to get a good flow off the brush.
Gray Mr Hobby Surfacer 1500
Nighthaunt Gloom and Yriel Yellow base
Skavenblight Dinge for the engine and recessed parts
Diluted Coelia Greenshade and Casandora shade
Black Tamiya Panel Liner
Dorn Yellow for the engine glow
eYzRDiX.jpg cqEs2QQ.jpg SGNaL6J.jpg 1tHOib0.jpg
#77 First time Jumpmaster, the other part of the list i'm flying this weekend.
1. Didn't enjoy this much. There is so much detail and greebles and pipes and Not sure I made the right choice with the colors.
2. I've found now that my freehand straight lines seem to be better than masking now...
3. Didn't seem to notice this problem before but after i did my final coat of semi-gloss Mr Surfacer it seemed to cause a lot of the metallic scratches and effects i had to disappear. That's annoying.
Gray Mr Hobby Surfacer 1500
Zandri Dust and Moot Green base
Eshin Grey and Dawnstone for the layer details
Nuln Oil shade wash
Black Tamiya Panel Liner
Dorn Yellow for the engine glow
Troll Slayer Orange - Yriel Yellow - Dorn Yellow - White Scar glazes for the engine glow
Lothern Blue and Ceramite White glazed for the engine glow
Ironbreaker for the metallic highlights and scratches
oUyP7QP.jpg z2H9oTQ.jpg xEyuVpI.jpg dX9ThkJ.jpg kXAxY4F.jpg P2RmJRT.jpg

Very cool. I really appreciate the Work In Progress pics.

#78 I'm back! This time with my first commision job ever. My friend is a New Yorker and during one of our games we just realised this should have been a no brainer concept that I haven't seen anyone do. So may i present Pa' Trik flying in his E-Wing.
1. Quite straightforward to just block out colors and wash.
2. I shaved off the details on the port wing to accommodate the decals. What i only realised after placing the decal was they were a bit tall and because off the edge on the decal I couldn't push them up against each other so eventually i ad to lift it up with tweezers to layer them.
3. I wanted to also add a orange circle somewhere but couldn't find a appropriate space until i spotted the little bit on the wing. Subtle is good.
4. I initially used Wild Rider red for the stripe thinking it was a bit orange, but turned out it was too orange so switched to Evil Sunz Scarlett, the actual color isn't as red as it looks in the pics.
White Mr Hobby Surfacer 1500
Caledor Sky and Evil Sunz Scarlet layer
Drakenhof Nightshade shade wash
Black Tamiya Panel Liner
Diluted Nuln Oil over the white
Vallejo Metal Color Gunmetal Grey for the engines
2FNnB7w.jpg kIqLhyP.jpg XSsu9gX.jpg XLcr8J6.jpg l7J1osK.jpg UnWtid2.jpg
#79 And something i put together pretty quickly but not quick enough for the last tournament on last Sunday. With the new point changes I couldn't fly my Sloane PAtrol Leader list anymore so I had to downgrade to a Reaper, but i always hated the pancake look. So I took advantage of the oversize 1.0 Silencer wings to put this bad boy together.
1. I also cut the Silencer wing supports to widen the wingspan a bit as with just the reaper struts it looked too narrow next to the huge body.
2. Then there were these bare parts at the back so i used a spare StarViper body that i also sliced in half to add the extra engines and guns.
3. Luckily this Silencer wasn't glued properly so the wings were very easy to seperate that made painting A LOT easier.
4. I might have gone over board with the decals though. But meh, it fits my Ghost Squadron.
5. Did i mention i love Vallejo Metal Color?
Abbadon Black layer for the wing panels
Black Tamiya Panel Liner
Vallejo Metal Color Gunmetal Grey for the guns and details
oWdMJzi.jpg WmhncxO.jpg EIBhBzs.jpg 5uOrB7x.jpg KjMt2SS.jpg otrwAYc.jpg q20QBfI.jpg Q1D6QgJ.jpg lonTf1b.jpg A2A8WO4.jpg KsFJrow.jpg 5kYuAws.jpg 9K3MOBm.jpg

Dude.
Whoa.

17 hours ago, Ghosthacked said:
#79 And something i put together pretty quickly but not quick enough for the last tournament on last Sunday. With the new point changes I couldn't fly my Sloane PAtrol Leader list anymore so I had to downgrade to a Reaper, but i always hated the pancake look. So I took advantage of the oversize 1.0 Silencer wings to put this bad boy together.
1. I also cut the Silencer wing supports to widen the wingspan a bit as with just the reaper struts it looked too narrow next to the huge body.
2. Then there were these bare parts at the back so i used a spare StarViper body that i also sliced in half to add the extra engines and guns.
3. Luckily this Silencer wasn't glued properly so the wings were very easy to seperate that made painting A LOT easier.
4. I might have gone over board with the decals though. But meh, it fits my Ghost Squadron.
5. Did i mention i love Vallejo Metal Color?
Abbadon Black layer for the wing panels
Black Tamiya Panel Liner
Vallejo Metal Color Gunmetal Grey for the guns and details

Very good job!!! Did you think about adding several 3D printed accesories to your creations? I think you may find a wide brand of parts to make more modifications, I have designed and printed several ones, and saw som guys using them for making modifications on YTs, YVs, E wings... ...and many other ships...

if you’re interested contact me and I can send more pictures about this

I am truly impressed.

#80 2nd Commission. New Firesprays so new paint jobs required. Initially wanted a blue version of my Koshka Frost but Separatist colors are a lot more angular so tried this variation on it.
1. Came out darker than i planned so I still have to learn to not go to heavy with the shade paints...
2. The stripes are all freehand. It's easy when you start with the center of the line and build outwards to the thickness i wanted.
3. I like how the triangles came out. Painted the white and then blue for the divider lines.
4. CIS logo was also a challenge. Started with the white hexagon then had to do over twice to get the blue lines clean.
5. The back is done with enamel washes from AK. Nice and grimy and looks really good after the White Spirit rub to bring back the highlights.
White Mr Hobby Surfacer 1500 primer
Mechanicus Standard and Administratum Grey and Kantor Blue base
Designs and accents with White Scar
Tamiya Black Panel Line
Lothern Blue and White Scar glazes for the engine glow
Masking fluid over the canopy so I don't have to do Abbadon as usual
Coated with final layer of semi-gloss Mr Super Clear
eUlrtVp.jpg fTDhmQB.jpg ALFR7sB.jpg BbjkNV4.jpg Rxk5HC6.jpg dVNX6ox.jpg Jv8cSln.jpg g1v7CPj.jpg 0HohdHC.jpg
#81 Onyx squadron Ace, so needed a onyx colored defender. Quite simple, just tedious because, panels.
1. Black primer means no need to paint panels! but still had 12 sides of frames to do...
2. Freehand caution stripes and white stripes. lay down the base and build stripes from thin to final thickness. Then clean up with the underlayer color.
Black Mr Hobby Surfacer 1500 primer
Eshin Grey base
Yriel Yellow and Abbadon Black for the caution stripes
Vallejo Metal Color Gunmetal Grey for details
Tamiya Black Panel Liner all over
Moot Green for lasers
Masking fluid over the canopy so I don't have to do Abbadon as usual
Coated with final layer of semi-gloss Mr Super Clear
sUZrOod.jpg pLFuFew.jpg gDoWUGI.jpg AkoY8Qc.jpg OJgJo9V.jpg x3iQcar.jpg

man, BGG is huge. Is this our new home for paints? I couldn't find any groups.

On 12/28/2020 at 3:05 AM, Ghosthacked said:

man, BGG is huge. Is this our new home for paints? I couldn't find any groups.

Until/unless we find a better home, it appear the be the future of this forum.

which section though?

24 minutes ago, Ghosthacked said:

which section though?

I say Variants is a good place