[3.1 Update!] Dark Heresy (Warhammer 40,000) in Genesys

By Tom Cruise, in Genesys

@Tom Cruise amazing stuff man, really appreciate the hard work!

I am currently re-purposing an adventure I was working on with a slightly different setting to this, because it fits the theme of the adventure so well, and you basically cover everything I need in your supplements :D

I'd like to second the request for a CSS/GMBinder template, as I like making things that not only feel but also look like a finished product, and the layout and style of your files is awesome.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time and putting in the effort to create this, looking forward to the next step!

Hey @Tom Cruise , I noticed that there are no Painkillers in the conversion (unless I completely missed them). Is this intentional, to emphasise the grim nature of the setting (without the players being able to heal left and right)?

Yep, definitely intentional. I was always dubious on how balanced it'd work out to be, but the goal was exactly what you guessed; ramp up the grimdark factor by making injury matter a lot more. Haven't really had enough playtesting opportunities to figure out if it works well, but I haven't had any complaints about it, so that must mean something?

Haha, guess so! I'll let you know if any of my players start complaining. ?

The conversion from 2e to Genesys went smoothly, so far. Guess we'll know more in 2 weeks, when our next session is planned. Another quick question though, about the Brawl skill: is it integrated in the Melee (Light) skill, or just missing from the character sheet?

Yeah, it's part of Melee (Light). I did have this outlined in the book, but somewhere in the editing process the write up got eaten.

For what it's worth here's what the book used to say. I'll fix it up when I get around to releasing a new version of the PDf. Definitely been dragging my feet on that, but I do plan to get into it now, I've got a list of everything I want to include.

"Melee (Light) operates as described on page 68 of the Genesys Core Rulebook. The only
difference is that in Dark Heresy, Melee (Light) also governs unarmed brawling attacks,
replacing the Brawl skill from page 67 of the Genesys Core Rulebook."

Alright, glad to see my guess was correct. ?

Thank you for all the effort you've already put into this, it's greatly appreciated. If I can assist you in any way (if my skills allow it), I'd gladly help you out.

Absolutely loving this. My group are having a ball, keep the updates coming!

An outstanding and great work. Thanks a lot for your effort. You didnt just make a simple "setting conversion" but introduced very fitting and thematic mechanisms (Trauma and corruption) that also a dress a key weakness of the Edge/Geneysy system: High XP characters.

Any progress on the vehicles?

Would you be interested in someone helping with other Xenos races?

Another sidenote:

In the NPC Section simple Orkboys have the same Brawn (5) and Intelligence (2) as a Deathwatch Marine. A Deatchwatch Marine isnt even an "fresh" Marine and we know that Marines can think faster than avarage humans.

My question:

Is Brawn 5 enough for Marines or would make Brawn 6 make them too strong?

If somebody would have asked me for stats our of the blue I would have choosen

image.thumb.png.cc8d2390bfdab4347e7648bf501694f5.png

Edited by DScipio

I never thought I'd say these words, but I love you Tom Cruise! MMM, got all my dark heresy books so I'll defineatly be wanting Genesys for my birthday and using this to RP. And homebrew anything missing from DH1 into it. Great job, keep it up!

Thanks for the kind words! Development has been pretty stagnant in all honesty, 2018 was a pretty wild year for me in terms of career and life changes.

At some point I do want to revisit this, combine Liber Heresius and the core book into one Second Edition release with appropriate rules updates and tweaks, but I'm not sure when I'll get the time to do that honestly. Will make sure I update this thread as soon as I have anything concrete.

Hello @tomcruise ,

Wow, I just learned the existence of all of this and the Genesys, and I am blown away. It looks cool, fun and very well done (Not like that abominable requisition system in DH2e).

I've just started to GM a new group with DH2e rules + homebrew but I am really thinking of moving on with yours.

Couple of questions / remarks though:

• Untouchable completely immune to psychic powers seems way too OP. I liked the way you had to gain XP to be better, and even at the end you're not completely immune. Any return from any players on that ? A party with an untouchable will just melt all daemons and alike.
  • Battle sisters seems to be missing. Was it in the todo list and got caught up with real life ? :) I would be happy to propose something if interested.
  • Last, I still have to go through everything, as well as the Genesys core book, but DH was lethal and a portion of that came from all weapons doing 1D10+somthing. How has it been transfered in here ?

Again, great work, can't wait to test it. 😈

Edited by devilredneck

In the lore, untouchables are completely immune to psychic powers. DH2e's rules don't really match up with any of the established canon about how Untouchables work, so I didn't go with that style. You either have a soul or you don't, it's not a sliding scale :P

As for Battle Sisters, I was working on some extra material, but it's on the back burner at the moment (as is everything relating to this hack at the moment). But realistically there's nothing in particular about Battle Sisters you couldn't replicate with the existing rules. Schola Progenium > Cleric/Guardsman > Add a boatload of XP and gear.

On 2/10/2019 at 5:31 AM, Tom Cruise said:

In the lore, untouchables are completely immune to psychic powers. DH2e's rules don't really match up with any of the established canon about how Untouchables work, so I didn't go with that style. You either have a soul or you don't, it's not a sliding scale :P

having a hardened soul?

20 hours ago, Terefang said:

having a hardened soul?

Lore wise, it makes more sense for them to have no soul at all, after all, that is indeed why they are immune, as the warp can't affect them. I would keep that the same in 2nd edition, if you want. I run DH2 all the time, and I rule that they are still immune, they also increase upgrade the difficulty of psychic powers used near them once. At least that is how I run them.

I've been trying to put my own spin on this conversion, but it ain't easy.

I was thinking that, instead of choosing a career, you choose a faction to belong to. I find that the careers sound a bit generic (as they did in DH2e), but that the background stuff from DH2e really put the 40k flavor in character creation. So instead of giving skill sets to careers, I was thinking of attaching it to the different factions.

Right now, I've been trying to see what I can use. I have this list so far.

Adepta Sororitas

Adeptus Administratum

Adeptus Arbites

Adeptus Astra Telepathica

Adeptus Mechanicus

Adeptus Ministorum

Adeptus Terra

Astra Militarum

Imperial Navy

Navis Nobilite

Nobility

Officio Assassinorum

Officio Medicae

Rogue Trader

Unaffiliated

I've also been thinking of doing sub-factions. For example using Order Militant, Order Famulous, Order Hospitaller for the Sororitas, or Callidus Templ, Venenum Temple, Vindicare Temple for the Officio Assassinorum, but I'm not really getting anywhere yet.

I'm also debating whether to attach 'heroic abilities' (like in Terrinoth) to the different sub-factions. For example, a Callidus character could flip2 Story Points to produce and use polymorphine at any given time (once per session). A Venenum character would, by flipping 2 Story Points, always have the perfect poison needed for the job.

Still far from getting anywhere workable, but it's something I'm dabbling with to put more of that delicious grimdark flavor in character creation.

I was wondering - how much XP would you give an Acolyte to have him in the same party with a Space Marine? I was looking at the Deathwatch conversion and I don't know whether I should give 265XP to the Acolyte (which is the the cost of the Space Marine Elite Advance) or whether it should be less/more. Obviously, the bigger question would be how to handle both of them narratively during a session - Acolytes and Space Marines in the same party, I mean. But it is something which is doable in the new Wrath & Glory RPG and I don't see why it can't be done in Genesys. Don't know whether @Tom Cruise or anyone else has any suggestions?

That was the original intention, yeah. The 265XP is meant to cover all the bonuses you get out of being a Space Marine, so an equivalent acolyte would be able to spend that on whatever talents, skills etc they wanted. I came to that figure using the archetype creation rules and a little bit of guesswork, not entirely sure how well balanced it is to be honest.

It's done in a very clunky way though, I'd like to figure out something more elegant when I get the chance to revisit the Space Marine rules and pretty them up for a full release.

As for how to handle it narratively? I could see a high ranking group of Acolytes having a Deathwatch Marine or Grey Knight assigned for particularly dangerous or high profile missions. Does create difficulties from a GMing perspective in coming up with narrative scenarios which can include a Space Marine without losing the investigative angle of Dark Heresy, though. Hard to go undercover with a nine foot tall party member stomping around. Could be worth having the Marine characters rotated into the party as needed, rather than being a permanent fixture? Really depends on your group and scenario, I think.

Edited by Tom Cruise

Hey there! I've recently started to get back into Genesys homebrew. Currently cooking up a little bit of an armoury expansion for Shadow of the Beanstalk (mostly focusing on Cybernetics but I feel like I'm inevitably going to end up doing a whole lot more), but once I'm done with that little project I wanted to start working on Dark Heresy again in earnest.

There's three tasks I've laid out for myself, curious which one people would prefer to see first.

A) Integrating the contents of the core book and Liber Heresius into one Second Edition book, with some general rules updates and tighter integration of the mechanics across both books.
B) Finishing off the Chambers Militant book, including full rules for playing as Deathwatch, Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle, with appropriate new talents, wargear, Faith Powers, etc.
C) Finishing off the Catalogue Armorum, the vehicle expansion. Would include stat lines for a lot of typical vehicles, both air and land (Starships would be an expansion of their own I think) along with some special rules and an armoury of vehicle scale weapons.

Also open to ideas for what else people would like to see. I also had ideas for a Radical's Handbook type release focusing on some more heretical options for PCs, but that's only a concept in my head for now, all of the above options have concrete work already done, I just need to finish them.

On 4/21/2019 at 3:16 AM, Tom Cruise said:

Hey there! I've recently started to get back into Genesys homebrew. Currently cooking up a little bit of an armoury expansion for Shadow of the Beanstalk (mostly focusing on Cybernetics but I feel like I'm inevitably going to end up doing a whole lot more), but once I'm done with that little project I wanted to start working on Dark Heresy again in earnest.

There's three tasks I've laid out for myself, curious which one people would prefer to see first.

A) Integrating the contents of the core book and Liber Heresius into one Second Edition book, with some general rules updates and tighter integration of the mechanics across both books.
B) Finishing off the Chambers Militant book, including full rules for playing as Deathwatch, Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle, with appropriate new talents, wargear, Faith Powers, etc.
C) Finishing off the Catalogue Armorum, the vehicle expansion. Would include stat lines for a lot of typical vehicles, both air and land (Starships would be an expansion of their own I think) along with some special rules and an armoury of vehicle scale weapons.

Also open to ideas for what else people would like to see. I also had ideas for a Radical's Handbook type release focusing on some more heretical options for PCs, but that's only a concept in my head for now, all of the above options have concrete work already done, I just need to finish them.

Going in the order you suggested would be ideal, I think. Glad to see you're renewing this wonderful project!

One thing I'm contemplating is redoing the formatting to be a 2-column layout, like how most RPG books are designed. Not totally sure why I didn't do this in the first place?

Quick comparison;

H7udxmx.png

Thoughts on this? The two column layout feels a bit nicer I think.

Edited by Tom Cruise

Looks awesome. BIG thumbs-up from me.

Looks much better with 2 columns!

One common issue people have raised with the game is that psyker attacks don't scale upwards much, and they don't have many gear options in general. Here's my first effort to address that;

Psychic Implements - Google Docs Link

This adds a few different Magic Implements for Psykers. I also plan to build out some more talents for them, suggestions are welcome there.

Thoughts?

On 4/21/2019 at 1:16 AM, Tom Cruise said:

On 4/27/2019 at 1:25 AM, Tom Cruise said:

One thing I'm contemplating is redoing the formatting to be a 2-column layout, like how most RPG books are designed. Not totally sure why I didn't do this in the first place?

Quick comparison;

H7udxmx.png

Thoughts on this? The two column layout feels a bit nicer I think.

Definitely the order your listed them in and also a big thumbs up to change the layout to two columns

Talents are done(ish)! Here's the full talent chapter, feel free to give it a look through and see what you think needs changes. Any typos, balance issues, talent overlap or stuff you want to see that isn't there yet, please let me know. Feedback helps immensely.

- Link -

Summary of what's been done here;

• All talents from the original Dark Heresy Genesys core book and Liber Heresius have been combined. Bringing us to a total of 167 new talents.
  • Select talents from Shadow of the Beanstalk and Realms of Terrinoth have been ported over. Some directly, some with changes to suit setting/mechanics better. Some have been renamed but I kept most the same for familiarity's sake.
  • Formatting overhauled entirely, including a table of all available talents, and a shift to two column format.

No art in here yet, waiting until I've got the text for the chapter fairly finalised before I put any of that in there.