[3.1 Update!] Dark Heresy (Warhammer 40,000) in Genesys

By Tom Cruise, in Genesys

Squats, and Ratings, heck yes! Complain all you want about some of the design decisions for including Dwarves and Halflings back in the day, but man did they add more variety to the Imperial Army. I love myself some Beastmen from Warhammer TD, so its fun to see them in this edition as playable. Looking very good as always! Keep up the great work! The campaign I was using the 2nd edition rules sadly fell apart, due to lack of interest on some of the players, but I do plan to use these again in the future for another campaign now with 3rd edition rules!

Oh, and I wanted to share this, though I have no idea if you will ever use it, it is something I used to use back in the day, and it does give some interesting concepts you can carry forward, or not, at your leisure.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KFy979VNbX7Bfi17x4KcyC2OMbrJX7m_/view

Edited by Mathadar

Outstanding work as always.

Thank you. 👏

On 5/20/2020 at 8:40 PM, Drakenhart84 said:

Hey Tom,

I just came across this thread today for the first time and man what a treasure trove it is. After the unsatisfying cycle of the 2nd Edition of Dark Heresy, this project has pushed the whole brand into a positive orbit for me again. Much kudos for what you are doing here.

The work you have delivered looks very professional. Could you elaborate a little bit on how it came to be? Where you originally involved with FFG during DH?

Regards

Clint

Hey Clint, looks like your account was approved pretty late, I just got the new post notification for this. I guess Edge/Asmodee have sorted out getting some moderators for these forums again 😛 Sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner!

There's no real secret story here, I just like Dark Heresy a lot and was generally pretty unsatisfied with the outcome of the Dark Heresy 2e beta, so ever since I've been looking for a better way to run DH games. I've experimented with a few systems along the way, started some minor work on an Edge of the Empire conversion a few months before Genesys was announced, so it was a perfect fit. I've never worked professionally in the RPG industry or anything like that.

In terms of the polish of the books aesthetically it mostly comes down to extracting assets from Dark Heresy 2e's books and editing as needed, I spend a lot of time in Photoshop and InDesign tweaking everything obsessively.

Really appreciate the positive feedback!

On 6/7/2020 at 2:43 AM, Mathadar said:

Oh, and I wanted to share this, though I have no idea if you will ever use it, it is something I used to use back in the day, and it does give some interesting concepts you can carry forward, or not, at your leisure.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KFy979VNbX7Bfi17x4KcyC2OMbrJX7m_/view

Ooh, this is good stuff. If I ever end up revisiting Corruption rules or a potential Black Crusade conversion I'll definitely keep this in mind (and credit you of course, if I end up using anything).

Hey Tom Cruise, thank you for the greater good you are doing. I'm mastering a DH Party wih your Ruleset since about half a year and its all the experience DH was missing in the d100 system. Great job! But is it possible to release a blank npc sheet for GM's, it would be a great help.

Thank you again for your great Work again! Keep going!

What do you mean by an NPC sheet? I'm happy to share the stat blocks templates and stuff, but I've never really used dedicated NPC sheets so I'm not sure what you mean there. I think any generic Genesys resource would also work fine , there's not a lot about NPCs in this hack that is significantly different mechanics-wise.

Have you by any chance compiled the different chapters for the Adeptus Astartes? That's some really solid work overall.

All the chapters I'm planning to include are already in the preview of the Deathwatch character creation rules, although I've revised them a bit since, will push out a new version once I review the whole chapter to iron out any issues.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yni-fQwE0Kz4CF60ajhX5zShv22zuEOY

Can this be used to run something more like Only War?

You could probably make it work, although it has no Only War focused content. But you can easily make Guardsmen characters, and pretty much all the gear you'd need is represented.

Quick question about pyromancy. In the book page 181 pyromancy has Agility as its characteristic ability. But on the character sheet it is willpower.

All other psychic disciplines are consistent book to character sheet under 1 characteristic ability. Brawn for Biomancy, Cunning for Divination, Intelligence for Telekinesis, and Presence for Telepathy. But as stated Pyromancy is Agility in the book and willpower on the character sheet.

Is this by design? Does pyromancy use agility for damage but willpower to dictate dice? or is it a typo either in the book or on the charactersheet?

Cheers! really loving your work.

The character sheet is the incorrect one here. I think I did have Pyromancy keyed to Willpower at one point, probably during the beta testing of the first edition, but I changed that because it made Pyromancy feel like a much more optimal choice than the others.

The character sheet is well overdue for an update, I'll get on that once Chambers Militant is out in the wild.

I notice there's no stats for a commissar in the back of the book. How would you suggest statting up one?

I did kind of work on some character sheet templates for Foundry VTT using the Simple World Building system and Simple World Building Plus module. I'm not a good web developer, so I don't know how to set all that stuff up real well.

They're nothing fancy.

On 7/20/2020 at 2:33 AM, paperbard said:

I notice there's no stats for a commissar in the back of the book. How would you suggest statting up one?

I'd probably just take the Imperial Guard Sergeant stats, add a couple of ranks of Coercion, and give them some form of special ability to represent their summary executions (Only War likely has some solid inspiration here in the talents Commissar PCs could access).

On 8/25/2020 at 10:27 AM, Predatorian3 said:

I did kind of work on some character sheet templates for Foundry VTT using the Simple World Building system and Simple World Building Plus module. I'm not a good web developer, so I don't know how to set all that stuff up real well.

They're nothing fancy.

Nice work! I've personally started to migrate over to Foundry so this is cool to see. Now that the Star Wars FFG system for Foundry has Genesys support though, that might be a better basis to work from? I think you need to be on the Beta testing branch of foundry to use it though.

Also, just to let you all know, I'm still alive! Haven't worked on this in a while but I've done some work recently on integrating some feedback on the core book to get myself back into the swing of working on this. Hoping to get Chambers Militant done soon and then move on to new stuff.

Here's the current changelog for the core book, by the way.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-xhkzTd9_ryrICWuTOa-4PPbB7Nbn8acaTxf8C0Rdsw/edit

On 9/17/2020 at 12:46 AM, Tom Cruise said:

I'd probably just take the Imperial Guard Sergeant stats, add a couple of ranks of Coercion, and give them some form of special ability to represent their summary executions (Only War likely has some solid inspiration here in the talents Commissar PCs could access).

Nice work! I've personally started to migrate over to Foundry so this is cool to see. Now that the Star Wars FFG system for Foundry has Genesys support though, that might be a better basis to work from? I think you need to be on the Beta testing branch of foundry to use it though.

Also, just to let you all know, I'm still alive! Haven't worked on this in a while but I've done some work recently on integrating some feedback on the core book to get myself back into the swing of working on this. Hoping to get Chambers Militant done soon and then move on to new stuff.

Here's the current changelog for the core book, by the way.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-xhkzTd9_ryrICWuTOa-4PPbB7Nbn8acaTxf8C0Rdsw/edit

Good to see an update. I saw this conversion and immediately knew I had to run it for my players when we were done with Star Wars (we've done 10+ sessions so far). I've also looked over the changelog and replaced what was necessary using Adobe Acrobat.

I know you already have something for that final Obsession trauma, but I thought I'd share what I put in in abscence of a PDF release of the Trauma

The character's obsession has engulfed him completely. They feel they cannot, nay must not, drag themselves
away from the object of their obsession for fear of what might happen if they ignore it.

The character must succeed on an a Hard (ddd) Discipline check and suffer 3 strain before he can pull himself away from the object of their
obsession for the encounter. Until they do so, they dedicate all maneuvers and actions to indulging their obsession until satisfied (the time this takes
depends on the circumstances, but should be one round at least, as determined by the GM). This check may be attempted at the start of each round.

When targeted by any character or NPC, roll Average (dd) Discipline check. If failed, the afflicted player attacks that character so they may then be
free to concentrate on their obsession until they are incapacited or they have pulled themselves away from their obsession on their turn.
If the character goes one day without indulging their obsession, they add [sss] to all skill checks until the obsession is satisfied

When it says "when targeted" that includes assisting with the Discipline check or helping them with Leadership, making it especially dangerous to interrupt the Obsessed character that gets that far.

Edited by WC-83

Hey look, content! (Very work in progress content)

cht8WSS.jpg

fQO3v7D.jpg

Elg11Pu.jpg

Im really glad i found this, im sooo running a campaign with this conversion! @Tom Cruise Your work is great, thanks!

Hey all, just popping in to drop a quick update - the 3.1 release is done. This is largely some minor balance tweaks and error corrections, although the armoury received some tweaks to better align with Imperial Armour's vehicle rules.

Here is the changelog - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-xhkzTd9_ryrICWuTOa-4PPbB7Nbn8acaTxf8C0Rdsw/edit

And here is the 3.1 PDF - https://bit.ly/3fnrBra (Using bit.ly to track clicks as Drive doesn't have this functionality and I'm curious!)

Work on Chambers Militant continues slowly but steadily. Hopefully I'll have something for you soon!!

Edited by Tom Cruise

Ever reliable and able to finish things effectively, I decided to start an Adeptus Mechanicus armoury on a whim. Only melee weapons done for now, although there's a list of planned ranged weapons.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Atn7uORgbrR1I7Xf-SMxTRtem_g1rynB8WGMY13EDxI/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know what you think and definitely point out if anything seems to be missing.

Edited by Tom Cruise

6vWTwgl.png

Working on an overhauled character sheet. More pages to come.

Alright, new character sheet is done. It's a five page sheet now, which is fairly hefty but the last page is fairly optional, I just wanted to provide extra space for talents as my current group filled the standard space super fast.

QxGpGHX.jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NxRVxk9WPcu2svvKgshjqujpydAccAGR/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Tom Cruise

@Tom Cruise Do you mind if I pull from your system to create a Deathwatch ruleset? I had a friend group that was trying to run a Deathwatch game, and some of the old rules are clunky. In researching if there is a Genesys Deathwatch conversion, I did not see any. However, I stumbled across this. My thought was, why not do what FFG originally did and just use Dark Hersey rules, but convert them for Space Marines? I did want to ask before just emulating the work you have done here.

You might want to go back a couple of pages, I've already written up some preliminary rules for Deathwatch Marines (Grey Knights too!). It's not quite fleshed out enough for a fully fledged Deathwatch RPG but it's a solid jumping off point.

Feel free to make any homebrew based on my stuff though, as long as I'm credited I'm fine with whatever. Ideally show me your work too, keen to see what people create :)

Thanks! I will check that out too. I'm only about 5 pages in on the thread and about halfway done with your ruleset CRB. And, of course I would credit you. We are still in preliminary stages, but once we have a text file, I'll either post something in this thread, create a new thread and link it here, or both!

@Tom Cruise After reading you base rules, I think I can perhaps simply expand on what you have, provide suggestions and help add additional Deathwatch content. You've done a good bit of groundwork here already. I have a discord server that I'm using right now for collaboration, if you are interested.

Edited by MosesofWar
Read the base Ruleset

@Tom Cruise , with the forums shutting down, will you continue posting this on Reddit? Or is there a different place where we can follow your progress? :)