[3.1 Update!] Dark Heresy (Warhammer 40,000) in Genesys

By Tom Cruise, in Genesys

I have a small question.

Can a non mystic access psyker disciplines at character creation?

Say someone wants to make an old adept. Because it wouldn't be very fitting to carry a gun with the character idea he thinks about taking piromancy. Would that be allowed by your basic rules? I am guessing not but I was just wandering.

Thanks for the awesome work you are doing. :)

The only requirement for making a Psyker is putting a rank in one of the Disciplines at character creation. Career has nothing to do with it (although you'd probably want to select some of the Disciplines as career skills). So yes, Adept psyker is entirely legit.

Edited by Tom Cruise

Looking good, just got a look at the full 1.2, *clap clap clap*

The new expansion book is looking great too! I am so glad to see Daemon world and Mind Cleansed there, so much fun!

Planning to add Adeptus Sororitas and Grey Knights to the next one? I know there is now Deathwatch, but Grey Knights fit very well into Dark Heresy, especially Ordo Malleus.

Edited by Mathadar
Instead of double posting would add to it.

I have considered releasing a separate supplement for playing as Astartes, probably covering Grey Knights and Deathwatch. They're pretty reasonable PC options for very high level play, so I'd probably just make playing one cost a hefty amount of experience right off the bat.

Sisters of Battle can be handled pretty well with the existing rules (Shrine/Schola Guardsman, lots of XP and some power armour is basically all you need), but some custom content for them might be beneficial, especially if I'm doing the other two Orders Militant.

Unexciting update; newly tweaked character sheets, including a black and white, printer friendly version.

Off the top of my head, these are the changes;

• It's three pages now.
  • Third page is entirely dedicated to talents, giving more than adequate space for most characters (and if you really have THAT many talents, you can just copy that page)
  • First page got some added space for fluffy stuff like height, build, superstitions etc.
  • Second page added a background section, and had the gear section tweaked lightly.
  • Some fillable form sections which should've been showing text centered now actually do; makes things slightly less ugly.

- Full Colour Link -

- Printer Friendly Link -

Playing as a Space Marine would be pretty cool. :)

EDIT: Whoops, double posted. Australian internet is a mistake.

Edited by Tom Cruise

Okay, big update to the core rules here, I've tweaked a bunch of stuff and added a fair bit of new content.

Some content that I had earmarked to put in expansions I decided would be fine to include in the core book, so the gear sections is bulked out a bit more now. I've also tweaked a lot of the stuff early in the book; there's an intro chapter now, and some of the layout work in character creation is different.

Full changelog below.

Changelog 1.3

• Added an Introduction page, explaining some basic points about the conversion.
  • Swords and Axes had their crit ratings increased by 1 across the board; this makes Crit 1 melee weapons a lot less prevalent (Eviscerators are the only one right now). Their costs have been reduced appropriately.
  • Sniper Rifles and Long Las lost their Prepare rating, and gained Accurate. Costs have been increased accordingly.
  • Removed the Anointed attachment. It’s covered in a better way in the first expansion book coming soon; it never made much sense as an attachment.
  • The Tripod/Bipod mount’s effects were changed to mirror those found in Genesys.
  • Added the Enflamed, Collapsible and Poison Reservoir attachments for melee weapons.
  • Added the Blur Field, Preysense Masking and Shock Field attachments for armour. Also changed the mechanics for Superior Armour Customisation; it previously didn’t do anything, due to a mismatch in Genesys and Star Wars rules.
  • Added the following items to the Gear chapter: Pict Caster, Pict Fly, Spider Pads, Tracking Device, Vox Bug, Vox Tracker.
  • Added the following drugs; Anaesthetic, Dreamjuice, Explication Serum, Imperium’s Fervour and Neurotoxin.
  • Some flavour text and artwork has been altered or replaced, and tweaks have been made to the layout in general.

I'll be gearing up to release the full version of Liber Hereticus soon, so give the preliminary version shared at the end of Page 1 a look and let me know what you think! Still room to add or tweak what's there.

Anyway, here's the 1.3 link.

- LINK -

EDIT: Just realised Adamantium Faith somehow ended up being an index entry? Bizarre. Will be fixed in the next release. Also, when I first uploaded this the PDF bookmarking was all messed up, give it a minute and that'll be fixed.

Edited by Tom Cruise

Ahoy.

I think, Unnatural Senses is too weak.

In DH2 it was WPb x15 with a talent to double the range, making it anything between 15 and (usually) around 90 meters.

For NPCs it doesn't matter because I can simply add more ranks as I wish.

But a player at the beginning runs around blind beyond ~12m for a long time.

An Astropath should be more powerful than that.

I'm suggesting Rank 3 (ranked), 10m per Willpower per Rank, making it 150m when having Rank 3, 4, 5, and WP:5.

I see why you want to use the Rangebands, but they're too limiting for this, imo.

Other than that: Great work again.

Next week we'll finally run our first session, and I can give better feedback.

I think you might be remembering wrong, I've got Enemies Beyond open in front of me and it was actually just straight Willpower. So you'd be looking at 1-60 metres roughly. Which is pretty handily covered by Short-Medium, I'd say. Considering medium is up to "several dozen metres away".

The Second Sight doubled that, making it 2-120 roughly. I think Medium-Long handles that okay, which is what Second Sight provides in my rules. Pushing it out to Extreme would be a bit much, considering that's the effective range of snipers and vehicle weapons, which I'd say is well beyond 100ish metres.

I definitely don't really want to bring in hard measurements to this conversion. The intention is to make DH fit Genesys, not emulate the original DH games 1:1. Range bands are how distance works in Genesys, so I think it makes the most sense gameplay wise to stick with them.

Liber Heresius is ready for a 1.0 release! Here's a rundown of what it includes, for people who haven't been keeping up;

• Expanded Home World options, adding seven new choices, bringing the grand total to 19 between the two books. New options include Agri-World, Daemon World, Garden World, Mind Cleansed, Quarantine World, Research Station and War Zone.
  • Elite Advances, for playing as Astropaths, Untouchables and several other galactic oddities.
  • 68 new talents, some from Star Wars, some wholly new.
  • An expanded armour section featuring 19 new guns, 16 new custom ammo types, rules for combi-weapons, 10 new grenades, 10 new melee weapons. 3 new sets of armour, 2 new force fields, 12 new pieces of gear, and 8 servitors for purchase.
  • A section covering requisitioning/buying various services, including void transport, sanctification of weapons and other valuable services.
  • Rules for Influence and Subtlety, allowing your Acolytes to climb the ranks of the Inquisition and receive concrete rewards for it, while feeling mechanical effects (good and bad) for how subtly they conduct their investigations.

- Download Link -

Give it a read through and let me know what you think. As with the core book, nothing's set in stone here; I fully plan to update the release pretty heavily as time goes on.

Also, little sneak peak of what I'm working on at the moment;

z1BOTSn.png

20 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

I think you might be remembering wrong,

Yep, remembered it wrong. Nvm, then. xD

Great work. As soon as I get my physical copy of Genesys, I'll try to make time for a game of this.

One thing I miss from WFRP 3 is the possibility to do something reckless or guarded. I thought of something like a ranked talent, that gives you another die or replaces an existing one with a new tbd die that increases the possibility of success, but simultaneously increases strain.

So I got a little distracted...

5mFG3rw.png

This is almost done, expect it in the next few days. Just a little expansion, only 40 pages or so. And half of that is NPC profiles.

On 1/9/2018 at 0:29 PM, Tom Cruise said:

I have considered releasing a separate supplement for playing as Astartes, probably covering Grey Knights and Deathwatch. They're pretty reasonable PC options for very high level play, so I'd probably just make playing one cost a hefty amount of experience right off the bat.

Sisters of Battle can be handled pretty well with the existing rules (Shrine/Schola Guardsman, lots of XP and some power armour is basically all you need), but some custom content for them might be beneficial, especially if I'm doing the other two Orders Militant.

Been thinking if level scaling may be required for Deathwatch? ie. Setting baseline characteristics at 2 again otherwise things get a little out of hand quickly. Characters are so skilled that weapon/equipment advancements become almost irrelevant.

Eh, not really? I think it depends massively on what kind of power level you want to represent. Space Marines across 40k fiction and game mechanics are wildly inconsistent, sometimes they're just very capable soldiers who are inhumanly tough, sometimes they're one man armies with the ability to wipe out entire platoons on their own. I think for the sake of RPG mechanics you more want to stick to the lower end of things.

Currently (although this is very tentative, early design stuff) I've just got them starting at 5 Brawn, and 3-4 Agility, with a special mention that their Brawn can go up to 6 rather than the usual cap of 5. Add power armour into the mix and that's a Brawn of 7; right at the hard cap in Star Wars, which was set right around where things start to get a bit silly and broken.

As for the other four characteristics I don't think there's much good reason for them to have higher ranges than human PCs. Sure, a lot of Astartes are exceptionally intelligent, cunning or charming, but not moreso than a particularly exceptional human (like an Inquisitorial Acolyte) could achieve.

I also have their Wound and Strain Thresholds bumped up a bit (5 and 3 respectively), and a whole bunch of situational bonuses from their various enhancements.

Edited by Tom Cruise

While I absolutely love DH 2nd edition (and the edition before that), this is extremely well done, and I can foresee a future where I switch over to this instead of running with the previous FFG version, since there is no more development for it. I just hope that this excellent work you have done, will spawn a community and continued development of material. My hat is off to you sir..

These are looking awesome!

17 hours ago, Arioch1973 said:

While I absolutely love DH 2nd edition (and the edition before that), this is extremely well done, and I can foresee a future where I switch over to this instead of running with the previous FFG version, since there is no more development for it. I just hope that this excellent work you have done, will spawn a community and continued development of material. My hat is off to you sir..

Thanks! And even if no community springs up, I plan to keep expanding it with additional content for the foreseeable future, if only to fuel my own campaign.

New book ready!

yqGzy5t.png

- Book Link -

My own take on a "monster manual" of sorts, this little expansion goes into detail on Tau armaments and NPC statblocks. Eventually I plan to do one of these for a wide range of different opponents. It includes:

• Statistics for Tau weapons, armour and gear, and rules for using and modifying these as a human.
  • Rules for Tau battlesuits, complete with a full host of support and weapons systems, and a custom crit table.
  • Stats for a big variety of Tau enemies, including all the warriors of the Fire Caste, drones, the alien auxiliaries, and the civilian castes.

Let me know what you think! Will get back to work on those Space Marine PC rules now.

Edited by Tom Cruise

I was just about to post a reply about your last book, when I got the notification about this one! Great job! I really like it! Having seen this, makes me look forward to the eventual Eldar, and Tyranid ones all the more. Though mind you, I am totally going to involve the Farsight Enclave the next time I have a chance to run Dark heresy in Genesys. At the moment hosting a Dark Heresy v2 campaign, but with what you have already put out so far, I am sure we could have a rather lengthy campaign even before I start having to homebrew tons more. I need to start adapting Battlefleet Koronus one of these days, and work out the Rogue Trader rules, but honestly, I may just wait to see what you put out. I really like what you put together for this, and can't wait to see the Space Marine PC rules.

Side note, I made this a long time ago. If you have any use for it, feel free to use it! I mostly use it to develop entire systems of space, personally, but I figure you might have a use for it.

Oh and since your working on Space Marines?
How about some Chaos.

Planetary Information Data-Sheet.xls

Chaos Warband Generator.rtf

Oh, and what program/template are you using to make these files? I am planning on doing some home-brewery of my own and would love to figure out how so I can kick out some high quality content as well.

All my layout work is done in Adobe InDesign, with image editing/creation work done in Photoshop and Illustrator.

As for Chaos stuff, I definitely want to tackle my own take on Black Crusade, but it's sitting firmly in the "eventually" pile for now, want to get Dark Heresy nice and fleshed out first.

On 1/13/2018 at 5:37 AM, Tom Cruise said:

Liber Heresius is ready for a 1.0 release! Here's a rundown of what it includes, for people who haven't been keeping up;

• Expanded Home World options, adding seven new choices, bringing the grand total to 19 between the two books. New options include Agri-World, Daemon World, Garden World, Mind Cleansed, Quarantine World, Research Station and War Zone.
  • Elite Advances, for playing as Astropaths, Untouchables and several other galactic oddities.
  • 68 new talents, some from Star Wars, some wholly new.
  • An expanded armour section featuring 19 new guns, 16 new custom ammo types, rules for combi-weapons, 10 new grenades, 10 new melee weapons. 3 new sets of armour, 2 new force fields, 12 new pieces of gear, and 8 servitors for purchase.
  • A section covering requisitioning/buying various services, including void transport, sanctification of weapons and other valuable services.
  • Rules for Influence and Subtlety, allowing your Acolytes to climb the ranks of the Inquisition and receive concrete rewards for it, while feeling mechanical effects (good and bad) for how subtly they conduct their investigations.

- Download Link -

Give it a read through and let me know what you think. As with the core book, nothing's set in stone here; I fully plan to update the release pretty heavily as time goes on.

Also, little sneak peak of what I'm working on at the moment;

z1BOTSn.png

Super excited about this. I'm on /40krpg/ and made this account so I could keep an eye out without having to make a thread on terminal life support. Looking forward to seeing more, and I think a high-quality Genesys hack is exactly what fans of 40k need; the old FFG games aren't exactly top-tier for people who want something with a smooth flow and cinematic potential.

@Tom Cruise You are definitely doing an inspiring job! Great work! I used your DH book to quickly drum up something to test out a Fantasy Grounds setup lat week. Hopefully I be able to run a whole 40k campaign one of these days. I think my players would want to play as Space Marines for sure. Who wouldn't? LOL! Thanks again for all the work and effort.