What expansions would you like to see next?

By A Duck1, in Tide of Iron

Yipe said:

While I would buy any ToI product that FFG decides to put out, my preference would be for a Pacific Theater expansion.

Don't get me wrong, the Eastern Front is awesome and I would love to see more all-tank scenarios such as Operation Crusader from Days of the Fox, but I think a setting that focuses on the War in the Pacific would really help distinguish ToI amongst the glut of WWII wargames out right now. It seems that everybody is doing the Eastern Front, but not as many WWII games have tackled the Japanese (and the Marines). Even AAM, which encompasses a fair amount of variety in its unit list, has short-changed the IJA.

From a sales standpoint, if FFG times it right they might even be able to ride the wave that HBO's $250 million "Pacific" will surely create. Plus, I wonder if it would be better to wait and make the Eastern Front a big boxed set like the main ToI game, almost like a 2nd edition where new players who weren't interested in ToI's Western Europe setting and were discouraged by the rumors of imbalanced scenarios might be enticed to jump on board.

Anyway, just some crazy thoughts.

As much as I love the idea of an Eastern Front expansion, I wholeheartedly agree with this post.

Personally, I'd rather see ToI focus on operations or the like rather than specific theaters. So far, they've basically done one of each. The Eastern Front approach, as noted, has a lot of competition, but battle/operation-focused packs, with the chance for more linked scenarios, open up some slightly fresher avenues.

After seeing what they did with the Normandy campaign I completely agree. I love the idea of getting boards, terrain, units, rules etc. for a specific campaign.

That being said, I'd love to see an Eastern Front or Pacific campaign next. I'd be up for an early war or Italian campaign as well.

Well, if someone's counting votes, I'll be a good American.... Pacific Theater. (Though I share the excitement for all the ideas expressed in these posts.)

bcpravel said:

I've heard that Tom Hanks and Stephen Spielburg are doing another WW2 miniseries along the lines of "Band of Brothers" called "The Pacific." It is rumored to be released in 2009. If that is the case, my speculation is that a Pacific expansion could do quite well in 2009. cool.gif

Holy Toledo! How'd I miss this one!?! BoB, IMHO, is the best piece of film ever done, hands down.

"The Pacific", eh? If so, this is a must see/own.

7times7is49 said:

MGBM said:

What would you like to see next for ToI?

Well...

For starters...

TIDE OF IRON expansion ideas

1. Dragon’s teeth (same size as tank traps, razor wire? impassable for vehicles?)
  2. Crater (same size as entrenchment, pillbox? Mv penalty for vehicles?)
  3. Underground Bunker
  4. Boats
  5. Civilians
  6. Different ammunition for tanks. HE, AP--probably covered by op cards
  7. Trench (same size as entrenchment, pillbox? Or in shape of razor/tank trap? No MV penalty if moving contiguously to/from another trench hex, bunker, pillbox, or entrenchment. Does not trigger OpFire. )
  8. Wall (same size as razor wire, tank trap? Impassable for vehicles, -1 mv to inf?)
  9. Anti-Tank Mines (for AT specialization?)
  10. P.O.W.’s (taking routed squads.)
  11. Operation Cards
    1. Snow
    2. Frostbite
    3. Night. Firing Range/LOS is halved? (Supposedly in designer series)
    4. Low Ammo. May only make Concentrated Fire actions or support attacks.
    5. Zeal. Gain 1 CP for each enemy squad routed or destroyed.
    6. Blitz. Your squads do not receive movement restrictions for Fire and Movement or Assault Actions
    7. Hero. Similar to Elite Tank. +1 FP +1 MV
    8. “Zimmerit” thin concrete over tanks vs. magnetic mines (+1 armor vs. infantry?).
    9. Exhaustion/Illness.
    10. Camouflaged vehicle or equipment? Concealed vehicles/equipment?
  12. Strategy Cards
    1. Scorched Earth. Target controlled command objective. Remove command objective from the game.
    2. Retreat. Play during opponents turn between actions. Target non-fatigued squad gains +1 movement and may only Advance to a hex not containing enemy units.
  13. Molotov Cocktail (and rules on fire?)
  14. Tank crews escaping when vehicle is heavily damaged (1 squad of regular infantry?)
  15. Allow set-up of entrenchments during deployment
  16. Demolish enemy command objectives
  17. Reinforcement hexes must be controlled in order to receive support
  18. Flares (for night rules? Normal los & visibility w/in area of effect?
  19. BAR or LMG differentation. Lower range and firepower, allow fire and movement? (R/F=4/3 vs. inf. 2/1 vs. vehicles?)
  20. SMG? Lower range and firepower, allow fire and movement? (R/F=3/2 vs. inf 1/1 vs. vehicles?)
  21. half track mounted guns 105mm, 47mm, etc. i.e. 75mm Ranger Cannon Co.
    1. between 57mm & 88mm. R/F 6/6 vs. inf. 10/8 vs. vehicles.
  22. Destroyed Flamethrower squads cause damage
  23. Death of Officers=change of Operation Cards
  24. use of rough hexes when buildings/roads are destroyed (covered by Normandy!)
  25. eliminate rounds and play to the death
  26. New terrain tiles*
    1. Large/Wide Bridge
    2. Large/Wide River
    3. Hill with cover
    4. Dam
    5. Railway Station
    6. Railway Tracks
    7. Church with Steeple
    8. Swamp
    9. Ruined Building
    10. Industrial Building/Factory
    11. Radar Station
    12. Airfield
    13. Oil Depot
    14. Warehouse
    15. City Blocks
    16. Windmill
    17. Multi-Level Building
    18. Multi-Level City Block
    19. Ditch
    20. Ammo Depot (Covered by Normandy!)

note: this is from an old forum thread

Finally I found a way to speak in variants without using this word that scares so many people ... happy.gif

27. Move and OpFire: In the Fire and Movement Rule a new option Move and stay in OpFire.
29. Wreckage: Destroyed vehicles stay in the terrain and can be used as cover.
30. The crew of a Heavy Damage Vehicle can be abandon it.
31. Weapons on the ground: when a squad is destroyed his weapons stay on the terrain.
32. Anti-Tank: Anti-Tank weapons can fire against buildings, trenches, pillbox.
33. Flamethrower: can defend in assaults.

I would like to see a replacement set of plastic pieces for the Russians in FOTB. And a box the same dimensions in height as the other expansions are. Whats the problem FFG? Do you need some help or what? What happened between DOTF and FOTB? DOTF pieces are excellent, and the Brits look like Brits, and the Crusaders and PZ IIIs and Panthers look accurate, as does the 88 flak gun. Even the Bren carriers look right,and the Brit MG unit is the best of all. My only thing with DOTF is I liked the larger scale Tanks of TOI base game, but the detail of the Crusaders and PZ IIIs is good enough to quell my iritation over this inconsistency.

The Normandy Expansion, I did buy, after getting the DOTF, and I am reasonably happy with it as well. But again, the different scale tanks are a little annoying, as the Tiger II is just a bit too large IMO. I do not know where FFG is getting their plastic figures from, and maybe they are limited in choices, but it would have been nice to go with just one scale for tanks, to be consistent.

The Russian figures in FOTB, as far as I have seen in photos, do not look much like Russian soldiers but rather like some kind of halfhearted effort by whoever made the originals. And the T-34 does not have the distinctive turret, nor the more typical side mounted gas drums like the refined later version of the T34/ 43 model. I just am not pleased at all, and was expecting the same quality pieces like DOTF.

If FFG wants to offer the FOTB boards separately, like the upgraded designers expansion, (which I also did buy, and am pleased with), then I can just buy the boards, with rulebook included maybe?, and find my own plastic pieces, which have better detail and actually do look like Russian soldiers.

I have FotB and the russian soilders are as just detailed as the british from DotF. The uniform and helmet on the russian figures make them look like they are russian. Putting the figures next to each other they look of the same quality, the one thing that is not as good is the peg system the DotF figures are the best fit, FotB is still ok (better than the base game figures) (although the MG crews are a little hard to get in)

Updated expansion wishlist in order of preference:

1.) Scenario book volume 2 (I dearly miss Stalingrad and Barbarossa battles in FoTB).

2.) Map pack 2 (more desert and snow boards please).

3.) Vehicle and equipment expansion pack for all nations released so far. Suggested inclusions: Panzer II C, Panzer IV E, Stug d, M3Lee (or Grant), Cromwell, Churchill, IS2, SU76, T70, SU152, Sherman Firefly, 17 pounder, PAK 38 and nother Russian AT gun whose name eludes me at the moment...

Actually the order given could be inverted for the purpose of completeness. First more units could be introduced, the more terrain and finally the book could then make use of all these new additions and possibilities.

4.) Pacific expansion

Defiently the Pacific theater, as many have said before. i just wonder if navel warfare could be done fully in some shape or form?

I wonder if a Pacific Expansion could be done without incorporating naval and air battles more into the gameplay? When I think of the Pacific theatre, I think more of the naval battles, P-40's and Zeros tearing up the skies. Not so much the ground war (yes I know it existed, but that's what comes to mind when I think of the Pacific theatre).

Personally, I think we've seen the last of ToI expansions. I think that FFG have had their fill. If they wanted, they could make more money by simply taking the existing product and repackaging it as tank packs, infantry packs, map packs and the like. I'm sure that they'd be able to sell six Panzer IV's in a blister pack for $7.99 or a set of six infantry bases with an assortment of regular/elite/machine gun and mortar crews for $5.99 at your local gaming store. The molds already exist, all they would need is the packaging (which is simple), and bingo, you're there.

Scammer said:

I wonder if a Pacific Expansion could be done without incorporating naval and air battles more into the gameplay? When I think of the Pacific theatre, I think more of the naval battles, P-40's and Zeros tearing up the skies. Not so much the ground war (yes I know it existed, but that's what comes to mind when I think of the Pacific theatre).

Personally, I think we've seen the last of ToI expansions. I think that FFG have had their fill. If they wanted, they could make more money by simply taking the existing product and repackaging it as tank packs, infantry packs, map packs and the like. I'm sure that they'd be able to sell six Panzer IV's in a blister pack for $7.99 or a set of six infantry bases with an assortment of regular/elite/machine gun and mortar crews for $5.99 at your local gaming store. The molds already exist, all they would need is the packaging (which is simple), and bingo, you're there.

I wouldn't worry. I'm quite sure we'll be seeing more expansions.

Pacif theatre? Yes, STRATEGICALLY it was decided at sea, but at the TACTICAL level of TOI, a ground war expansion absolutely makes more sense, unless they want to introduce an entirely new game type: TOI naval battles or something like that.

If you take memoir '44 as an example you'll see that it's perfectly possible to make interesting land battles.

I agree that the pacific should be the next addition to ToI then we have access to all theatres. It will be easy to make land battles as there were a lot that took place over many locations and the opportunity to add some new specializations, terrain, strategy and operations cards.
After this I think an operations expansion series would be great (this would add some new boards, units and cards)
For example separate expansions for:
Operations Zitadell, Operation Market Garden, Operation crusader to name a few
These could add some new boards specific to the location of the battles and add some new units that are not already in the game.
so with Market garden there could be some boards with wide rivers, dikes, windmills and other terrain around the area, some new British tanks like the Cromwell, Firefly and such, and maybe some new strategy and operations cards for the battles. But what will really make the expansion is a series of scenarios that will tie into each other, where the outcome of a battle will influence what reinforcement, strategy cards or victory conditions and such you get for the next scenario that follows on historically. (I would think an average of about 12 scenarios for each expansion as this would give a great range over an operation)
I think this would be a great way of adding new bits to the game while providing some exciting new gaming experiences.
I would stress that the scenarios would be the main focus of the expansions and really would need to be play tested to death.
Also these expansion should be developed on the view that people have the other base expansion (Nor, DotF, FotB) that way it would keep the costs down on only having to provide new units. and also that way scenario designers can use units boards and cards from all the other Toi products

I think I would like an expansion based on Cityfighting. Stalingrad, Caen, Berlin etc. dealing with congested maps, and with new and rewamped assault rules.

sounds like a great game , i'm tempted .

I second the idea of a city-combat expansion, and the Pacific as well, if not for one problem: as with DotF, the Pacific boards wouldn't be compatible with the rest, which screws up things a bit in my opinion. I would love to have a second axis army which can act together with a German one, so why not expand the desert scenario and introduce Italians?

Stefan said:

so why not expand the desert scenario and introduce Italians?

Oh, yes, pleeeeeaaase.................

I would love to see another Designer Series book.

I really hope FFG offers packs of extra army figures

Pacific Theatre would be awesome. ToI still can focus on the land battles between the Japanese and the Americans. The naval support can be in terms of card effects. I would love to replay the battle of Iwo Jima.

Finally, I would like to see an expansion for urban type warfare.

Personally, I think introducing the Italian forces would not be exciting at all. The Italian forces didn't have much impact in the war.

thordred said:

I think introducing the Italian forces would not be exciting at all. The Italian forces didn't have much impact in the war.

Thanks to the Italians the war in North Africa got under way, also the campagin in greece and many Italian units fought on the eastern front aswell. In a game like ToI and the scale of it, the italians would beable to offer many great scenarios to be had. (and like others have said before an oppertunity to add more desert boards and new units)

thordred said:

The Italian forces didn't have much impact in the war.

They may not have won many battles on their own, but they had several good divisions in Rommel's forces in North Africa.

Plus, they have a unique character of their own, which would enhance the story side of the game.

What I realy realy want is more good scenarios.

And for that option I want two things:

1) A design series II

This could also be a good thing as now they can make scenarios which includes fury of the bear, normandy, days of the fox AND the base game...

2) Support the fan based scenarios.

3) Support for the scenarios they allready have made. Some of the scenarios in days of the fox has now been upgraded here at the forums. Please publish the updated scenarios. This also includes an updated FAQ! (see the unofficial FAQ threads)

1. Pacific Theatre

2. Italian campaign: for all the reasons stated above.

Unlike most i wouldnt care to see another campaign expansion.

Wouldnt mind seeing unit packs. I dont have any AT guns or m10s in my army. And i dont want to spend $40+ to get it.

But expansion wise maybe add special units for all factions. I would like to have Airborne and rangers and more unit variation between the faction.

But you already have both airborne and rangers... That is just No tanks and more elites.

1.An expansion pack of more vehicles that are the same scale as the original TOI base set of vehicles are. So T34s, M10s, Crusaders, Matildas, Pz IIIs, Stugs, Panthers, all the same scale as the Shermans, PZ IVs, Tiger Is. (find a 43 model T34, and also a T34/85 model), include Tiger IIs the same scale also.

2.An expansion pack of M7 priest, Hummel, or Wespe, mobile artillery. A 25pdr , and 105 howitzer towed gun. Armored cars. An Oswind Flakpanzer. A Katusha Rocket truck, and a Nebelwerfer.

3.Another Desert Fox expansion with Battles of Gazala,Tobruk, Alamein, Kasserine Pass., including some additional vehicles like M5 Stuart, M3 Grant, Marder II assault gun, Crusaders, Matildas, PZ IIIs, Sherman firefly, 25 pdr field gun, Bofors AA gun. Some 50 mm Pak AT guns for Germans. and all the same scale vehicles as original TOI base set vehicles are.

4. An early war Russian Expansion with additional BT-7 and SU 76 and armored cars, and more PZ -IIIs, Early PZ-IV, and AT guns,and a GW/38 mobile artillery gun. To cover 1941 Barbarossa to :Smolensk and Bryansk, Russian counter offensive, 1942: Caucasus and Stalingrad