What expansions would you like to see next?

By A Duck1, in Tide of Iron

Just wondering what all gamers here would prefer to see for the next expansions.

After Normandy I think covering the Eastern Front would be nice. Apart from the obvious Pacific Theater expansion, I would love to see an expansion that adds the Italian army and an expansion covering air warfare and though I'm not sure if it would fit well Memoir 44 showed it is possible to add an air element to a simple game, so an air element to ToI could probably be quite well done.

What would you like to see next for ToI?

Knowing from the Memoir community where the Eastern Front is very popular, I put my bet on that one.

But I would appreciate it if it would turn out to be a copy-cat situation with Memoir. So after the Russian theater I would like the addition of more material for the european war. Extra maps, tiles and weapons are always welcome.

After the Eastern Front I would love to see some Italian scenarios.

i would love to see the pacific theater then the eastern front then of course more bonus stuff

I -really- want to see Pacific Theater.

Although I am big fan of WWII air war...I think that the air war is best covered by Op. and Strategy cards, IMHO.

I would like to have the Eastern Front as well, if possible including then Italian forces in Russia. The Italians could then also be used for a couple of nice scenarios in North Africa and Sicily.... happy.gif

Also nice would be the French forces of the early war period.

Pacific and Eastern fronts, like everyone else... happy.gif

Just to add to my post, after all major expansions and theaters of war have been covered, an expansion with extra tiles and terrains would be nice. Perhaps even plastic miniatures of some obstacles like barbed wire or bunkers, that would be quite cool.

yes i agree MGBM

MGBM said:

Just to add to my post, after all major expansions and theaters of war have been covered, an expansion with extra tiles and terrains would be nice. Perhaps even plastic miniatures of some obstacles like barbed wire or bunkers, that would be quite cool.

Definately. Just keep the products coming, that would be cool with me.

I love the game, and will be buying whatever they come out with. My big hope is that the expansions just keep turning out! Keep up the great support and I'll be there a' buying it all! gran_risa.gif

What the hell are the points all about!?! serio.gif

raffles

why not "the battle of the bulge" with winter tiles, fireflyes, jagdpanther, jagdtiger, ............

Bastogne is just 60 kms out of my house ! Will I take this town ?

And may be with some airborne troops, falling out of the snowing sky ?

It looks like the Designer Series book includes rules for paratroopers...That will be awesome.

MGBM said:

What would you like to see next for ToI?

Well...

For starters...

TIDE OF IRON expansion ideas

1. Dragon’s teeth (same size as tank traps, razor wire? impassable for vehicles?)
  2. Crater (same size as entrenchment, pillbox? Mv penalty for vehicles?)
  3. Underground Bunker
  4. Boats
  5. Civilians
  6. Different ammunition for tanks. HE, AP--probably covered by op cards
  7. Trench (same size as entrenchment, pillbox? Or in shape of razor/tank trap? No MV penalty if moving contiguously to/from another trench hex, bunker, pillbox, or entrenchment. Does not trigger OpFire. )
  8. Wall (same size as razor wire, tank trap? Impassable for vehicles, -1 mv to inf?)
  9. Anti-Tank Mines (for AT specialization?)
  10. P.O.W.’s (taking routed squads.)
  11. Operation Cards
    1. Snow
    2. Frostbite
    3. Night. Firing Range/LOS is halved? (Supposedly in designer series)
    4. Low Ammo. May only make Concentrated Fire actions or support attacks.
    5. Zeal. Gain 1 CP for each enemy squad routed or destroyed.
    6. Blitz. Your squads do not receive movement restrictions for Fire and Movement or Assault Actions
    7. Hero. Similar to Elite Tank. +1 FP +1 MV
    8. “Zimmerit” thin concrete over tanks vs. magnetic mines (+1 armor vs. infantry?).
    9. Exhaustion/Illness.
    10. Camouflaged vehicle or equipment? Concealed vehicles/equipment?
  12. Strategy Cards
    1. Scorched Earth. Target controlled command objective. Remove command objective from the game.
    2. Retreat. Play during opponents turn between actions. Target non-fatigued squad gains +1 movement and may only Advance to a hex not containing enemy units.
  13. Molotov Cocktail (and rules on fire?)
  14. Tank crews escaping when vehicle is heavily damaged (1 squad of regular infantry?)
  15. Allow set-up of entrenchments during deployment
  16. Demolish enemy command objectives
  17. Reinforcement hexes must be controlled in order to receive support
  18. Flares (for night rules? Normal los & visibility w/in area of effect?
  19. BAR or LMG differentation. Lower range and firepower, allow fire and movement? (R/F=4/3 vs. inf. 2/1 vs. vehicles?)
  20. SMG? Lower range and firepower, allow fire and movement? (R/F=3/2 vs. inf 1/1 vs. vehicles?)
  21. half track mounted guns 105mm, 47mm, etc. i.e. 75mm Ranger Cannon Co.
    1. between 57mm & 88mm. R/F 6/6 vs. inf. 10/8 vs. vehicles.
  22. Destroyed Flamethrower squads cause damage
  23. Death of Officers=change of Operation Cards
  24. use of rough hexes when buildings/roads are destroyed (covered by Normandy!)
  25. eliminate rounds and play to the death
  26. New terrain tiles*
    1. Large/Wide Bridge
    2. Large/Wide River
    3. Hill with cover
    4. Dam
    5. Railway Station
    6. Railway Tracks
    7. Church with Steeple
    8. Swamp
    9. Ruined Building
    10. Industrial Building/Factory
    11. Radar Station
    12. Airfield
    13. Oil Depot
    14. Warehouse
    15. City Blocks
    16. Windmill
    17. Multi-Level Building
    18. Multi-Level City Block
    19. Ditch
    20. Ammo Depot (Covered by Normandy!)

note: this is from an old forum thread

7times7is49 said:

Crater (same size as entrenchment, pillbox? Mv penalty for vehicles?)

Different ammunition for tanks. HE, AP--probably covered by op cards

Blitz. Your squads do not receive movement restrictions for Fire and Movement or Assault Actions

Church with Steeple

Swamp

Some of your wishes have been granted in Normandy, though the church steeple features only in one scenario, I think.

What are the rules for the Church? Is it just a Level 1 terrain building (i.e.; cross between building and hill)?

bcpravel said:

What are the rules for the Church? Is it just a Level 1 terrain building (i.e.; cross between building and hill)?

When an American officer is in the church hex in the command phase, the Americans have access to an artillery deck.

YES!!! Finally!!! I'm so pleased to see conditional parameters for officers and cards!!!

I cannot wait to get a copy of normandy (sadly, after the new year...)

While I would buy any ToI product that FFG decides to put out, my preference would be for a Pacific Theater expansion.

Don't get me wrong, the Eastern Front is awesome and I would love to see more all-tank scenarios such as Operation Crusader from Days of the Fox, but I think a setting that focuses on the War in the Pacific would really help distinguish ToI amongst the glut of WWII wargames out right now. It seems that everybody is doing the Eastern Front, but not as many WWII games have tackled the Japanese (and the Marines). Even AAM, which encompasses a fair amount of variety in its unit list, has short-changed the IJA.

From a sales standpoint, if FFG times it right they might even be able to ride the wave that HBO's $250 million "Pacific" will surely create. Plus, I wonder if it would be better to wait and make the Eastern Front a big boxed set like the main ToI game, almost like a 2nd edition where new players who weren't interested in ToI's Western Europe setting and were discouraged by the rumors of imbalanced scenarios might be enticed to jump on board.

Anyway, just some crazy thoughts.

As an informal and unscientific poll, I tallied up the "votes" of what expansion people would like to see next (as well as their runner-up) and came up with these results:

FIRST CHOICE

Eastern Front - 4 votes

Pacific Theater - 4 votes

Battle of the Bulge - 1 vote

SECOND CHOICE

Italian Scenarios / Italian Forces - 3 Votes

Additional Terrain / Miniatures - 3 votes

Eastern Front - 2 Votes

Additional Western Europe - 1 vote

French / Early War - 1 vote

It seems that people are tied between the Eastern Front and Pacific, with the Italians and extra terrain sets also being a favorite.

I've heard that Tom Hanks and Stephen Spielburg are doing another WW2 miniseries along the lines of "Band of Brothers" called "The Pacific." It is rumored to be released in 2009. If that is the case, my speculation is that a Pacific expansion could do quite well in 2009. cool.gif

I'll buy any expansion, but the one I definately want most is an Eatern Front expansion!

I wouldn't mind seeing an Italian/Mediterranean Expansion featuring level 3 hexes and armored cars with AT guns.

Improved sniper cards and winter tactics and tank tactics deck for the Eastern Front.

Marines and amphibious tactics, island hopping, and jungle tactics in the Pacific.

Not to mention respective armies and reinforcement decks for the aforementioned expansions.

First vote Eastern front.

Second early war French.

I would appreciate the Pacific expansion - which would probably have to be "the first swallow" in this style. Fights in Solomons islands,

Mariannes or Iwo Jima would be surely another kind than those in Stalingrad, Moscow or Kursk (the Eastern expansion), which I would choose

as the second vote.