Legends of the Alliance - IA App Coming Soon

By werdnaegni, in Legends of the Alliance

8 minutes ago, Union said:

You can already play it solo by rolling dice for the Imperial figures, moving Imperial figures and making decisions for them. The app isn't changing anything in that regard. All it is doing is giving you less options for the Imperial figures, making them do some really stupid things sometimes.

By this line of thought every game is solo-able. Give me break. You know what the capabilities of the app are. Yes, I’m very much looking forward to a true solo experience as well, jonamok!

As long as we will still get future box expansions as well, I'm all for it.

3 minutes ago, power500500 said:

By this line of thought every game is solo-able. Give me break. You know what the capabilities of the app are. Yes, I’m very much looking forward to a true solo experience as well, jonamok!

Yes, I know the capabilities of the app very well. You will not be getting a true solo experience anymore than what you already have. In fact in many ways it is a much worse solo experience since the Imperial figures will play very stupidly, and you're better off not following the app with it's random activation selection and nearest figure targeting which makes missions FAR easier than they would otherwise be. Descent, and I assume this app will as well, alters play by giving units additional random abilities each round like extra movement or bonus damage, in order to account for how badly it plays, this changes the game significantly. So in effect you aren't even getting an Imperial Assault solo play, you're getting some other game that is similar to Imperial assault.

Edited by Union
2 minutes ago, Union said:

Yes, I know the capabilities of the app very well. You will not be getting a true solo experience anymore than what you already have. In fact in many ways it is a much worse solo experience since the Imperial figures will play very stupidly, and you're better off not following the app with it's random activation selection and nearest figure targeting which makes missions FAR easier than they would otherwise be.

Read the rulebook (it's out) Missions are going to prioritize certain activation over others (so not random) and rebel characters can get prioritized as targets. For instance it might tell you that this unit should target Gideon if possible.

13 minutes ago, Union said:

So in effect you aren't even getting an Imperial Assault solo play, you're getting some other game that is similar to Imperial assault.

Exactly!

You can play skirmish and campaign the old competitive way, the campaign the RPG way, solo the existing content two-handed or with RAIV/RAEV, and you can play solo and co-op the App campaign. You have different ways of playing, your choice.

Edited by a1bert
10 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

Read the rulebook (it's out) Missions are going to prioritize certain activation over others (so not random) and rebel characters can get prioritized as targets. For instance it might tell you that this unit should target Gideon if possible.

That is done in the Descent app as well. Remember, there is no health or position being tracked by the app, so if it tells a Storm Trooper to attack Gideon, and Gideon is on the other side of the map, the Storm Trooper is going to do something stupid... like ignore the 1 health remaining Rebel right beside it and run off after Gideon.

It does look a bit more refined than the Descent app, for instance in that app everything would try to get to range 3, where as here different units will try to get to different ranges, although that makes sense due to the range numbers differing a lot more.

Edited by Union
17 minutes ago, Union said:

Yes, I know the capabilities of the app very well. You will not be getting a true solo experience anymore than what you already have. In fact in many ways it is a much worse solo experience since the Imperial figures will play very stupidly, and you're better off not following the app with it's random activation selection and nearest figure targeting which makes missions FAR easier than they would otherwise be. Descent, and I assume this app will as well, alters play by giving units additional random abilities each round like extra movement or bonus damage, in order to account for how badly it plays, this changes the game significantly. So in effect you aren't even getting an Imperial Assault solo play, you're getting some other game that is similar to Imperial assault.

Dude I respect you, arguing on this form against Star Wars fans about this game, May force be with you!

Interesting tidbit from the rules:

Over the course of the campaign, each hero will gain four Class cards. The first Class card will be chosen from the Class cards valued at one XP (the number in the lower-left corner), the second Class card will be chosen from the cards valued at two XP, etc. The players can always choose a card of a lower XP value if they prefer.

3 minutes ago, a1bert said:

Exactly!

You can play skirmish and campaign the old competitive way, the campaign the RPG way, solo the existing content two-handed or with RAIV/RAEV, and you can play solo and co-op the App campaign. You have different ways of playing, your choice.

Yes, you can do everything you can already do... and play the 5 mission campaign with the app.

Someone's always a Debbie downer. Let the people have their day, complain when the app is actually released. Also, lighten up, sheesh.

1 minute ago, blinkhic said:

Someone's always a Debbie downer. Let the people have their day, complain when the app is actually released. Also, lighten up, sheesh.

I am tempering people's wild expectations with reality. There are thousands of FtP MMO and RPG apps out there and people have a tendency to think they're getting a full featured program with AI and health tracking like them rather than something that makes you do all the grunt work and decision making. The app is what it is, but it does not "replace the Imperial player" in the way most people expect.

I hope that they add the original campaigns to this app at some point.

1 hour ago, Pollux85 said:

So am I correct in thinking that like Descent, this will not allow us to play old campaigns like Return to Hoth on the app? That we will only be able to play the new campaigns they release for this app?

My prediction is that Flight of the Freedom Fighter will feature core set (as stated) and then each subsequent app campaign will feature the next expansion (i.e. twin shadows, then Return to Hoth). This would give them a chance to build sales on existing products while giving replay to those who already own. Just a guess though....

Hopefully, while still putting out some new boxes and blisters:)

Edited by VadersMarchKazoo

Well, it says you can already bring expansion heroes and supply cards etc. into the app's launch campaign, just need to wait and see if it will also use some of the expansion tiles too to mix it up a bit.

1 minute ago, jonamok said:

Well, it says you can already bring expansion heroes and supply cards etc. into the app's launch campaign, just need to wait and see if it will also use some of the expansion tiles too to mix it up a bit.

I'm pretty sure that map tiles will be core set only. And there will only be core set imperial/mercenary figures. So probably just supply/hero stuff that will be allowed from other expansions. This makes sense, because they would need to build new maps and develop mission balance for each mission so some restrictions are needed, when designing the new missions.

This is why I think they'll work their way through the boxes again with parallel stories.

On another note: they love their Jyn Odan (I mean who doesn't). She's been featured on the core box, HotE and now the rules for LoA! Am I missing an appearance?

13 minutes ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

My prediction is that Flight of the Freedom Fighter will feature core set (as stated) and then each subsequent app campaign will feature the next expansion (i.e. twin shadows, then Return to Hoth). This would give them a chance to build sales on existing products while giving replay to those who already own. Just a guess though....

Hopefully, while still putting out some new boxes and blisters:)

You should probably forget that prediction. They have not done this with Descent or with Mansions of Madness and have repeatedly said they have no intention of doing so for either. Also what they have stated for the launch is that it will use Core heroes and tiles and will have a new 5 mission campaign that has nothing to do with any previously published mission.

If you want to play an existing boxed campaign then you have to do it without the app. You're welcome to hope for that to change but the likelihood of that happening is very very VERY slim, if not just simply nonresistant.

As a friend used to say, you can wish for this in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up first.

1 minute ago, Zrob314 said:

it will use Core heroes and tiles and will have a new 5 mission campaign that has nothing to do with any previously published mission.

You can use any hero, as already seen in the rulebook. What you don't have is imperial/mercenary groups from other than core / wave 1.

1 hour ago, Zrob314 said:

You should probably forget that prediction. They have not done this with Descent or with Mansions of Madness and have repeatedly said they have no intention of doing so for either. Also what they have stated for the launch is that it will use Core heroes and tiles and will have a new 5 mission campaign that has nothing to do with any previously published mission.

If you want to play an existing boxed campaign then you have to do it without the app. You're welcome to hope for that to change but the likelihood of that happening is very very VERY slim, if not just simply nonresistant.

As a friend used to say, you can wish for this in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up first.

Sure. Not saying I'm right. Just saying you heard it hear first:) If I'm right then I'll go down as the Chosen One with Force Vission. If not I'll forget I ever said it ;) Sort of like midi-chlorians

3 minutes ago, a1bert said:

You can use any hero, as already seen in the rulebook. What you don't have is imperial/mercenary groups from other than core / wave 1.

Not at launch, no. But from the article:

At launch, the app will only support the Imperial and Mercenary forces from the Core Set as your enemies, but future updates will add new foes and allies from additional box expansions, Ally Packs, and Villain Packs. What’s more, future campaigns will draw heavily on expansions as you journey across the Star Wars galaxy and explore new planets beyond anything you’ve encountered before.

That sounds like tile sets too to me.

Also you can only buy mods at weapons apparently. Other armor and accessories are rewards.

2 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Not at launch, no. But from the article:

That sounds like tile sets too to me.

If a future App campaign uses figures from an expansion, certainly other material such as tiles from that expansion can be used as well.

However, that is separate from adding support (AI instructions, etc.) for Imperial / Mercenary affiliation figures from expansions for any app campaign.

1 hour ago, nankrien said:

Reading again the article, it says: "You’ll also be invited to embark on a brand-new five-mission campaign...", as if this new campaign was an additional thing and not the main one in the app.

Maybe (and probably) I'm wrong, but this has to mean something

This is just like the Descent app (Road to Legends): There is a tutorial mission to teach how to play the game with the app and then a small "tutorial" campaign to tie us over until the first full sized campaign is released (which in the case of Road to Legend came about a month after the main app had been released).

One of the nice things about Road to Legend (Descent App) is that, so far, FFG as released both of the full-sized campaigns (which have around 8-10 story quests with a bunch of random side quests in between) as free DLC. Only new types of game modes like Delve and Frostgate (which are more like challenge modes) have been paid DLC. It will be interesting to see what FFG does with the IA App. It would be nice if some of the already published campaigns were ported to the App, but so far FFG has seen the apps more as a tool to add new experiences to the game system. The last campaign released for Road to Legend was also the only one so far that required content from an expansion set. It will also be interesting to see if FFG will quicker to incorporate expansion matter faster than they have for Road to Legend. It might be easier as there is less expansion content for IA right now than there is for Descent. So, for instance, releasing a Legends of the Alliance campaign tied to a future IA expansion might make more sense (Descent seems pretty much "Complete" at this point with no indication that FFG is going to add any more expansions but IA still seem pretty "Fresh"...especially with the new movies coming out).

2 minutes ago, Otakuon said:

This is just like the Descent app (Road to Legends): There is a tutorial mission to teach how to play the game with the app and then a small "tutorial" campaign to tie us over until the first full sized campaign is released (which in the case of Road to Legend came about a month after the main app had been released).

One of the nice things about Road to Legend (Descent App) is that, so far, FFG as released both of the full-sized campaigns (which have around 8-10 story quests with a bunch of random side quests in between) as free DLC. Only new types of game modes like Delve and Frostgate (which are more like challenge modes) have been paid DLC. It will be interesting to see what FFG does with the IA App. It would be nice if some of the already published campaigns were ported to the App, but so far FFG has seen the apps more as a tool to add new experiences to the game system. The last campaign released for Road to Legend was also the only one so far that required content from an expansion set. It will also be interesting to see if FFG will quicker to incorporate expansion matter faster than they have for Road to Legend. It might be easier as there is less expansion content for IA right now than there is for Descent. So, for instance, releasing a Legends of the Alliance campaign tied to a future IA expansion might make more sense (Descent seems pretty much "Complete" at this point with no indication that FFG is going to add any more expansions but IA still seem pretty "Fresh"...especially with the new movies coming out).

Of course this has been a controversial issue for years, but if video game licensing is a problem for FFG, then it may be easier for them to provide it for free. But I don't know if this is a real thing, nor am I a copyright lawyer.

Oh no, the new rulebook says to set aside gray figures during set-up. How are we supposed to do that if they're all painted?!