Tabletop Admiral overhaul almost complete. Feedback pleeeeease

By werdnaegni, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

I thought rather than tacking onto my old thread I'd just let it die and start a new one.

The quick and dirty:

I overhauled the site. It's not done. Here it is though:

Http://tabletopadmiral.com/imperialassault/

What's new:

• You should no longer see irrelevant command cards or skirmish upgrades. Your options will change dynamically as you add cards. The only exception I can think of now is Jundland Terror since it mentions 2 specific units, but I'll fix that.
  • Everything should be MUCH faster. I redid the code from the ground up to be more optimized.
  • A new look - I'm not a designer, but I wanted it to feel a little more Star Wars-y. I'm open to feedback on this. It's not quite done, and a few elements have been completely ignored so far, but It's getting there. Also the main pane should be wider, so less wasted space on the sides and less chance of text bleeding outside of the buttons.
  • You can type in a Max Cost and it will only show cards that are less than or equal to that price.
  • You can choose to sort ascending or descending
  • Your collection now matters. If you only have 1 of a set, it will only let you add 1 of each thing in that set (unless it comes with more than 1). So update your collection with quantities if you haven't already.

What's NOT there yet that will be:

• Metrics (activations, total health, etc) done
  • JSON export done
  • Lists loading in this view instead of the old one (You can save a list now but if you click that existing list, it will load in the old version) done
  • Filtering of recently made lists by deployment cards and factions
  • Filter for black or white defense die
  • Ability to edit saved lists done

Please give it a shot and give me some feedback. The upgrades will be ongoing.

Edit: If you clicked it when I posted it before, you might need to clear your cache.

If you really love me, you'll chip in $1 to my Patreon

Edited by werdnaegni

Searching by trait doesn't seem to work in the command card list.

Hopefully we can still filter command cards by trait when no figures are selected for the army. I like to look at the cards specific to a trait during the early stages of putting a lineup together.

Edited by Fightwookies
16 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

Searching by trait doesn't seem to work in the command card list.

You sure? Just to clarify, the cards with that trait still won't show up unless they're relevant to your list. So if you don't have any droids, searching "Droid" isn't going to bring up any command cards.

That could be changed, but I figured it made sense with the streamlining approach.

Maybe I should just make a checkbox to turn off all the streamlining for those who just want to search EVERYTHING

Edited by werdnaegni
5 minutes ago, werdnaegni said:

You sure? Just to clarify, the cards with that trait still won't show up unless they're relevant to your list. So if you don't have any droids, searching "Droid" isn't going to bring up any command cards.

That could be changed, but I figured it made sense with the streamlining approach.

Maybe I should just make a checkbox to turn off all the streamlining for those who just want to search EVERYTHING

Checkbox would be great. Yeah, looks like i didn't have anyone in the lineup when i tried searching. it does work when the figure with the trait is in the lineup

are you planning to add the ability to edit existing lists?

Holy carp! Great job man! How did my favourite gaming site get even better? haha

A few small things I noticed on the desktop version:

"Size Advantage" and "Overcharged Weapons" were command card options when I chose Ashoka.

"Triangulate" is blank.

When you click on the button for "Command" cards, it stays as "Command" whereas before it would say "Deployment"

I'll keep looking, but love the new site. :D

Edited by NeverBetTheFett
9 minutes ago, leacher said:

are you planning to add the ability to edit existing lists?

Ah, yes. Forgot about that. It's on the list.

8 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

Holy carp! Great job man! How did my favourite gaming site get even better? haha

A few small things I noticed on the desktop version:

"Size Advantage" and "Overcharged Weapons" were command card options when I chose Ashoka.

"Triangulate" is blank.

When you click on the button for "Command" cards, it stays as "Command" whereas before it would say "Deployment"

I'll keep looking, but love the new site. :D

I'll look into all of those. Thanks!

And I knew about the command vs deployment thing, but kept forgetting and forgetting and now it's gone, so thanks for the reminder.

Edit: Overcharged weapons is fixed. I don't currently have anything in there for figure size, so any of the massive, small, large figure stuff will show up for everyone until I get that straight.

Edited by werdnaegni

88-Z need not be among the Imperial Deployment options as it is not possible to take it in Skirmish.

Max cost might work better as a dropdown with integers from 0 to 18 (Current Max, Un-modded Vader)

Edited by nickv2002

@werdnaegni Where is the option to update the packs you own? I've been unable to find it, but assume the quantity as you say is why i've been unable to add more than one elite into a list.

I love that adding Temp Alliance to the list populates new available figures. Is it possible to remove those figures in the same way if that card is removed?

On cross faction list building, should the elite Jawa work the same and populate droids from Rebel/Empire? I suppose Saska should technically work the same way to allow merc options (even though that rarely gets used).

Edited by Fightwookies
25 minutes ago, nickv2002 said:

88-Z need not be among the Imperial Deployment options as it is not possible to take it in Skirmish.

Max cost might work better as a dropdown with integers from 0 to 18 (Current Max, Un-modded Vader)

I'll remove 88-Z, thanks.

I'll consider making max cost a dropdown. To me it seems overly complicated to do that, but I understand some would rather only use their mouse. I'll see what others say!

19 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

@werdnaegni Where is the option to update the packs you own? I've been unable to find it, but assume the quantity as you say is why i've been unable to add more than one elite into a list.

I love that adding Temp Alliance to the list populates new available figures. Is it possible to remove those figures in the same way if that card is removed?

On cross faction list building, should the elite Jawa work the same and populate droids from Rebel/Empire? I suppose Saska should technically work the same way to allow merc options (even though that rarely gets used).

If you click on your username in the top, then click imperial assault profile, you can change your collection.

Temp Alliance is supposed to remove those figures if it's removed, but it appears a line of code got screwed up along the way. Will fix. EDIT: THIS IS FIXED NOW

I didn't think about the Jawa ability or Saska. I'll have to work on that a bit. Thanks!

Edited by werdnaegni
11 minutes ago, werdnaegni said:

I'll consider making max cost a dropdown. To me it seems overly complicated to do that, but I understand some would rather only use their mouse. I'll see what others say!

Depending on your platform and settings: you can still type into a dropdown on most (all?) desktop browsers to select an item and use the keyboard arrow keys to change the selection as well.

Dropdowns would work better on mobile too by establishing some bounding values and allowing the user to quickly swipe through to select one.

Edited by nickv2002

@werdnaegni Last one, and then i have to get back to work, haha. I wasn't able to search for Opportunistic command card in a merc list (with merc figures), but was able to find it in an imperial list where i temp allianced in a merc figure.

Appreciate your great work on the site, and I look forward to using the awesome new tool!

Will there always be three links depending on which faction you want to start with or will everything flex based on the first Deployment cards you add?

From an aesthetic perspective, I find the high contrast color/brightness combo a little hard to look. I totally get the "look Star Wars-y", and I think you've captured that, but from a usability standpoint, I find myself wishing for some softer colors. I honestly really like the color scheme of the current one, but that obviously just my opinion.

Love the work so far and looking forward to final product!

8 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

@werdnaegni Last one, and then i have to get back to work, haha. I wasn't able to search for Opportunistic command card in a merc list (with merc figures), but was able to find it in an imperial list where i temp allianced in a merc figure.

Appreciate your great work on the site, and I look forward to using the awesome new tool!

Should be fixed now. I passed the wrong faction's command cards into it. Copy and paste error. Thanks again.

Just thought of something new (perhaps too late haha). There is a "Clear List" button that makes a clean slate. I was hoping (especially with the upcoming edit capability) that I could clear ONLY my command card list but leave my Deployment list in tacked. As new expansions and packs come out, I find myself wanting to start from scratch with my CC deck but leave my Deployments as is. That said removing the cards 1 by 1 is totally not hard either :) !

4 minutes ago, wannabepudge said:

Will there always be three links depending on which faction you want to start with or will everything flex based on the first Deployment cards you add?

From an aesthetic perspective, I find the high contrast color/brightness combo a little hard to look. I totally get the "look Star Wars-y", and I think you've captured that, but from a usability standpoint, I find myself wishing for some softer colors. I honestly really like the color scheme of the current one, but that obviously just my opinion.

Love the work so far and looking forward to final product!

I could go either way. It's a LITTLE less information passed in if I keep them in separate pages, but probably not enough to worry about. We'll see what others say.

I get the complaint about the contrast. I'll see what other say, but maybe I can mute the colors a bit and find a nice medium.

Just now, wannabepudge said:

Just thought of something new (perhaps too late haha). There is a "Clear List" button that makes a clean slate. I was hoping (especially with the upcoming edit capability) that I could clear ONLY my command card list but leave my Deployment list in tacked. As new expansions and packs come out, I find myself wanting to start from scratch with my CC deck but leave my Deployments as is. That said removing the cards 1 by 1 is totally not hard either :) !

That should be easy enough. And that reminds me that I need to put the "Clear List" button back.

Deployment points and Command Card points don't turn red currently when you go over.

I just noticed that if I make a list and then open the "share link" link in another window. A) it takes me to the current version (not a big deal, i'm sure that's not an issue), but B) I put in Balance of the Force on the "beta" version, and the current version via the link showed me having Shyla selected. Maybe not a big deal, but made me question if our old saved lists will still work?

17 minutes ago, wannabepudge said:

Deployment points and Command Card points don't turn red currently when you go over.

I just noticed that if I make a list and then open the "share link" link in another window. A) it takes me to the current version (not a big deal, i'm sure that's not an issue), but B) I put in Balance of the Force on the "beta" version, and the current version via the link showed me having Shyla selected. Maybe not a big deal, but made me question if our old saved lists will still work?

I'll have to look into it. List codes should have the same formula for generation so something is off there. I'll fix it before it goes fully live. EDIT: SHOULD BE FIXED NOW

As well as the numbers turning red.

Edited by werdnaegni

Elite jawa scavenger elite should allow you to put in droids from other factions now.

Edit: Saska should work now too

Edit: codes should be working properly now (will still link to the old builder for now though)

Might have to clear your cache for any of this to take effect

Edited by werdnaegni

"clear deployment" and "clear command" buttons added

36 minutes ago, werdnaegni said:

Elite jawa scavenger elite should allow you to put in droids from other factions now.

not sure if it's the cache issue you mentioned, but imperial droids aren't pulling in with the Jawa. Rebel droids are showing correctly. Additionally, J4X-7 is a rebel droid, but maybe shouldn't pull in under the Jawa's ability as he's not a valid figure.

5 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

not sure if it's the cache issue you mentioned, but imperial droids aren't pulling in with the Jawa. Rebel droids are showing correctly. Additionally, J4X-7 is a rebel droid, but maybe shouldn't pull in under the Jawa's ability as he's not a valid figure.

Imperial droids should show up now. Working on a fix for J4X

And points should turn red when you're over your max.

Edited by werdnaegni

I personally dislike the way options disappear as I build my list. I also much prefer the three boxes I can click on and off for my factions to control what I see and what I don't. Sometimes when I'm building my list I want to see another figure's stats (say Vader's or IG88's) in order to think about how my list might counter those figures.

I also dislike how my options are tied to what I own, since much of this will be used for Vassal, where physical components won't matter, or for that matter my local tourneys, where we allow for proxies.

So far, I find the older version more usable and easier on the eyes.

Thanks for all your work on this though!

-ryanjamal

Just now, ryanjamal said:

I personally dislike the way options disappear as I build my list. I also much prefer the three boxes I can click on and off for my factions to control what I see and what I don't. Sometimes when I'm building my list I want to see another figure's stats (say Vader's or IG88's) in order to think about how my list might counter those figures.

I also dislike how my options are tied to what I own, since much of this will be used for Vassal, where physical components won't matter, or for that matter my local tourneys, where we allow for proxies.

So far, I find the older version more usable and easier on the eyes.

Thanks for all your work on this though!

-ryanjamal

The first part is fair enough. The checkbox that turns off all the auto-filtering should cure that though. Coming soon.

As for options being tied to what you own, you could just put that you own 5 of everything and that problem would be solved, wouldn't it?