28mm Compared to 32mm - Picture examples

By kurttkrueger, in Star Wars: Legion

3 minutes ago, Manchu said:

You know, that is such a good point. Legion models are compatible with IA, just not vice verse. Haha!

That got me thinking...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor imperial assault jawa

The Jawa is probably the only one who would scale well with legion. Question is: do we get Jawas in Legion?

I honestly don't think they have changed scales. The scale for IA has been sliding up since the core. Compare Greedo to hired guns. You have two 28 mm minis next to a 32mm. If you play IA you should already be comfortable with playing different scaled minis. The Bantha tuskens raider is less than 28 and the tuskens from twin shadow are hi 28. Legion has a set scale IA doesn't, even if they did legion in 28 a lot of the stuff would still look weird.

1 hour ago, TallTonyB said:

And yes, GW has multiple times made models unusable in a new edition of the same game. this isn't the same game. It's an entirely new game.

Not true. Every edition GW makes a big deal about about you being able to use your existing collection with the new game. Old style terminators on 25mm bases that are shorter than modern PA marines are still completely legal. Squats are an army that was completely discontinued, but they still encourage you to use them as IG.

There may be a valid reason for the size change, I don't know and I don't care, but so far nobody has suggested a really believable one. You can get just as much detail in figures the same size as IA, a legal issue with hasbro?....maaaaaybe, but it seems far more likely that such an issue would have killed IA at the start. Nobody can come up with a justifiable reason for the change, and all that leaves is "because we wanted to", which is not a good enough reason for denying your customers a benefit that doesn't cost you anything.

We don't know why they did it, but I'm going to assume that this company that has gone out of their way over and over again to be good to their customers is just scamming for a quick buck. Seems legit.

1 minute ago, TallTonyB said:

We don't know why they did it, but I'm going to assume that this company that has gone out of their way over and over again to be good to their customers is just scamming for a quick buck. Seems legit.

And again, this is another reason for the extreme reactions. If GW had done something like this (whatever "this" is), no one would have done more than grumble a little bit; but when a company with such a sterling record does something that inconveniences their customers and no one can figure out WHY, it evokes a much stronger reaction.

How does this inconvenience their customers? What company has ever put out a brand new game and was expected to let you use the pieces from an old game that isn't even a little bit the same game? It's entitlement plain and simple.

6 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

How does this inconvenience their customers? What company has ever put out a brand new game and was expected to let you use the pieces from an old game that isn't even a little bit the same game? It's entitlement plain and simple.

GW, several times, as I have already pointed out. And for good or bad, because they were the dominant name in wargaming for a couple decades, that is the level of cross compatibility that the war gaming community has been trained to expect.

Privateer press with warmachine and hordes and soon their upcoming company of iron game

Spartan games with firestorm Armada and their new starship game in the same universe

amarillo design bureau with star fleet battles and federation commander

Various incarnations of battletech

robotech RPG tactics (despite the clusterfk of the KS), part of the decision on what scale to use was to make the figs compatible with battletech, a game by another company even

I seem to recall some game company with a WW2 game that produced an x-wing like tank game that used the same tank miniatures, but I can't recall the company.

Wizkids produces several different flavors of heroclix, but one could argue that having Captain Kirk fight Gandalf is actually the same game, so it's questionable

Steve Jackson games which has both a board game and miniature game version of ogre

thats what I can come up with without really trying

and in another thread someone mentioned the AvP makers, who started with a tile based boardgame but recently released an alternate rules set for bigger, freeform battles using the same minis.

(this is the part where you try and think of a series of reasons none of those examples count)

Edited by Forgottenlore
31 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

GW, several times, as I have already pointed out. And for good or bad, because they were the dominant name in wargaming for a couple decades, that is the level of cross compatibility that the war gaming community has been trained to expect.

Yeah, GW is the main offender.

And it's not out of kindness. They've been running the same core game for decades and these days it's less "We'll be nice and let your Beakies still be viable." and more "Hey, your Beakies are still viable...so you can justify buying the new rulebook ($80), army book ($40), airplane that didn't exist when you bought your beakies but is now vital ($50), special new tank ($65), and new commander ($35 for one model with no accessories, and missing a part so you'll need to return and exchange it) and..."

$50 for a GW flyer? No, with best discount still $70. :D

Makes me glad I kept my investment in IA modest, and that I saved my paint efforts for a rainy day.

I certainly feel for those of you that went all in on IA, but I don't think the skirmish version was well thought out. Initial point costs were sky high and movement was simplistic.

I really enjoy the campaigns, but never found skirmish compelling.

I'm excited for Legion, and I can't wait for some awesome stuff like taun-tauns and vehicles.

Moves to 32mm are just an attempt for someone to be a jerk. I understand Knight Models decision just because I have every character they have ever produced in multiple heroclix forms. In reality I just need the rules as the hobby aspect just keeps me from playing games. Wargamers hate fielding unpainted figs.