28mm Compared to 32mm - Picture examples

By kurttkrueger, in Star Wars: Legion

12 minutes ago, Dice lord said:

And those familiar with skirmish games, peered in at the IA release and said 'this isn't the Star Wars skirmish game I've been looking for, Ill save my moneys for the real deal' and it's starting to look like it's just arrived.

Well, not everybody is like this. Most of people I know are familiar with Skirmish games, but as fan of Star Wars, they got IA and played with it happily.
Now, they feel like they don't want to spend another 300+ bucks.

3 minutes ago, BergerFett said:

Why? You bought a game, you enjoyed it. There is no reason to be frustrated. I get being disappointed that you "have" to buy a new game but lets be real, FFG is a company, they need to make money. This isn't IA 2nd ED, this is not the equivalent of FFG relaunching X-Wing and invalidating purchases the way other gaming companies have done in the past. This is a different product entirely. Someone will make homebrew rules for all the IA stuff and then play that to your hearts content at home, with beer (the best part of home gaming).

I am glad that these are not IA scale. I enjoyed IA but the models were meh buy miniature standards. There were good enough but no where near what others have done. Go look up Knight Models Star Wars and do a google search, it will make you sad that they lose the license. IA is a board game, its meant to grab a wide range of gamers. The skirmish head to head mode was in a lot of ways a beta for legion as well as a way to make it more than just a "get 6 people together and play" game. It was pretty obvious this was going to eventually happen. Legion is appealing to Star Wars fans and Miniature gamers. There target audience will be the 40k and Warmachine/Hordes players as those are the biggest games that have similar mechanics. As someone who enjoys those games I am not entirely happy with how "simple" these models will be to assemble but FFG has never emphasized the hobby aspect of games because this is a new market for them.

What you don't get is that as a company, they could well have make them compatible, and people who did pay so much for IA would have happily paid as much for Legion content.
Look at Test of Honor for exemple. People buy the core boxes for the side content, even if they already have minis. And the minis included makes MORE minis. But they don't feel like they have to buy everything not that they are cheated in any way.

Here, it feels for lots of IA player a "well, you paid for the beta, hopefully you'll pay again for the real deal".

Yes, they are different games in the end.
But hey, was it so hard to make the minis compatible?

I don't see how that would have prevented any IA player to buy Legion's more quality mini. They would have. And they would have played from the beginning and felt even more motivated to buy, and would have bring player in.

Now, what we see, is a bunch of people who blatantly don't care about others who don't share the same opinion or easy money and who invested in that very same company allowing it to produce the new game, guilt tripping these player because hey, why trying to have a real community around when we can just be judgemental and ******* to each others?

13 minutes ago, BergerFett said:

Why? You bought a game, you enjoyed it. There is no reason to be frustrated. I get being disappointed that you "have" to buy a new game but lets be real, FFG is a company, they need to make money. This isn't IA 2nd ED, this is not the equivalent of FFG relaunching X-Wing and invalidating purchases the way other gaming companies have done in the past. This is a different product entirely. Someone will make homebrew rules for all the IA stuff and then play that to your hearts content at home, with beer (the best part of home gaming).

I am glad that these are not IA scale. I enjoyed IA but the models were meh buy miniature standards. There were good enough but no where near what others have done. Go look up Knight Models Star Wars and do a google search, it will make you sad that they lose the license. IA is a board game, its meant to grab a wide range of gamers. The skirmish head to head mode was in a lot of ways a beta for legion as well as a way to make it more than just a "get 6 people together and play" game. It was pretty obvious this was going to eventually happen. Legion is appealing to Star Wars fans and Miniature gamers. There target audience will be the 40k and Warmachine/Hordes players as those are the biggest games that have similar mechanics. As someone who enjoys those games I am not entirely happy with how "simple" these models will be to assemble but FFG has never emphasized the hobby aspect of games because this is a new market for them.

You cannot understand even slightly that people who have 2+ ATSTs will now end up buying 2 more with slightly....very slightly different scale?

you cant understand that buying all the exact same figures, 4 mm different size....might be slightly frustrating whatsoever?

I still plan on using my IA stormtroopers in one squad with this game. shouldnt be a problem AT-ST could still be used i'm sure. If they had made this game in 15 or 20mm would we have an issue? Of course for the characters you are going to need the cards and rules which i guess will be packaged with the mini's that you'll need to buy anyway.

I can see myself using these in IA campaigns anyway once we have a few options. Still havent bought force luke or rebel comandos for IA and now i dont need to :)

Its just a shame they are not (40K like) multi pose plastic kits. I'm sure they would have sold by the buckletload outside this game even. .

39 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

You cannot understand even slightly that people who have 2+ ATSTs will now end up buying 2 more with slightly....very slightly different scale?

you cant understand that buying all the exact same figures, 4 mm different size....might be slightly frustrating whatsoever?

Not really. you bought models for Imperial Assault not star wars legion. Its not the same game. No one is forcing you to buy anything either. Maybe its the fact that i have been miniature wargaming for close to 20 years and if "I cant use my other games models in the new game" is the worst offense then its fine. You haven't spent $700 on pewter models to have the next edition of the game remove those models from the game entirely and render them 100% obsolete.

Its the same argument with primaris marines, no one is holding a gun to your head saying "buy it or die" you have a choice to actively not support this game and write FFG telling them why.

17 minutes ago, BergerFett said:

Not really. you bought models for Imperial Assault not star wars legion. Its not the same game. No one is forcing you to buy anything either. Maybe its the fact that i have been miniature wargaming for close to 20 years and if "I cant use my other games models in the new game" is the worst offense then its fine. You haven't spent $700 on pewter models to have the next edition of the game remove those models from the game entirely and render them 100% obsolete.

Its the same argument with primaris marines, no one is holding a gun to your head saying "buy it or die" you have a choice to actively not support this game and write FFG telling them why.

I have been miniature gaming and painting for approx 30 years, that argument dosnt mean anything.

I will no doubt buy Legion...I dont even mind myself that much..but I can understand why many will be frustrated they will end up painting the exact same figures they already have...but a fracton different all over again for a game by the same company with a very similar theme.

1 minute ago, VAYASAN said:

I have been miniature gaming and painting for approx 30 years, that argument dosnt mean anything.

I will no doubt buy Legion...I dont even mind myself that much..but I can understand why many will be frustrated they will end up painting the exact same figures they already have...but a fracton different all over again for a game by the same company with a very similar theme.

I legitimately still don't get it. If you don't want to do all that, don't buy it. It really is that simple. Just stick to playing IA until you can get an extra legion rulebook tools and dice from someone who bought mutliple cores. Then just homebrew the **** out of it. No need to buy anything. There will be plenty of people who do this.

2 hours ago, BergerFett said:

That's a reasonable argument.

I'm now questioning whether I should buy anything but Armada.

That’s frustrating, because if you told me that anyone was making a Star wards competitor to 40K I wouldn't have even gotten into Armada to begin with. Probably.

8 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

If another company had made this game no one would have expected for the figures to be cross compatible, because it's a totally different game. Just because it's FFG, for some reason people seem to think it's supposed to be the same game.

Standards exist for a reason, and yes, wargamers expect figures done to a given industry standard to be more or less cross compatible (which SWL and IA are). People ***** to high heaven whenever any company tries to market a common product in a proprietary format. Are you suggesting that if GW had produced the new(ish) space hulk with figures that that were just a bit too small to be cross compatible with 40k that there would have been no cause to complain?

what has people annoyed is that there is a scale difference FOR NO REASON. You can get just as good detail on figures significantly smaller than this. The perception people have is that FFG decided to change scales for no other purpose than to force the figures to not be compatible.

Tbh, the Hasbro theory holds a lot of weight for me just because there's minimal benefit to the size change otherwise.

29 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

The perception people have is that FFG decided to change scales for no other purpose than to force the figures to not be compatible.

And if they did that just to be sleazy then yes, you have a reason to be upset. Now show me where all these people have the proof that this is the reason they did it. Show me the conversations they had with Alex where he said that.

And yes, GW has multiple times made models unusable in a new edition of the same game. this isn't the same game. It's an entirely new game.

Edited by TallTonyB

No one is going to be able to prove that FFG did or did not change scale in order to "make money." But even if they did, so what? Companies exist to make money.

Additionally, there are other, equally plausible explanations. If you choose an explanation based on FFG being sleazy over one not based on FFG being sleazy, it probably says more about you than FFG or Legion.

Has anyone here watched any of the demo game videos?

IA and SW:L are very different games. They have similarly sized figures and there is plenty of crossover with characters & the like, but FFG is not abandoning Imperial Assault.

FFG is not abandoning Imperial Assault.

SW:Legion is a different way to play in our favorite universe.

IA is still as fun as ever and there are new products coming out soon enough. All the time and money invested in playing a game with little plastic figures hasn't magically evaporated. The games you won, the friends you made--all of it--actually happened.

And it can continue to happen. Legion is not replacing IA.

26 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Has anyone here watched any of the demo game videos?

IA and SW:L are very different games. They have similarly sized figures and there is plenty of crossover with characters & the like, but FFG is not abandoning Imperial Assault.

FFG is not abandoning Imperial Assault.

SW:Legion is a different way to play in our favorite universe.

IA is still as fun as ever and there are new products coming out soon enough. All the time and money invested in playing a game with little plastic figures hasn't magically evaporated. The games you won, the friends you made--all of it--actually happened.

And it can continue to happen. Legion is not replacing IA.

I think some peoples fear is that if too many IA Skirmishers pick up Legion (pretty likely?)..there wont be many IA skirmishers left for it to be viable/thriving?

I don't think that makes a lot of sense, unless you assume that people who play IA mostly just play IA because it is the closest thing to Legion heretofore available. But I don't think that assumption makes any sense.

32mm huh? Welp. There goes my West-End Games minis therory.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor west end games star wars miniatures

25mm. To small to use.

2 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

25mm. To small to use.

They are only too small with that kind of attitude!

10 hours ago, Guest Shameful Display said:

The sense of entitlement of people who bought a "similar" game, based on "similar" miniature, from the very same company, and sold with the very "similar" concept from the beginning, and you still fail to see this as something else than "entitilment from a bunch of kids?"

Well, people invest time they hardly have and moneuy they work hard to make in these game. If you fail to see why that my be very bothersome to lots, I wonder who's the one entitled here.

Beside, as said elsewhere, if they had been clear on the compatibility issues from the very start there would be no issue.
But there is nothing said as such, and as demonstrated elsewhere, other companies are clear on these and are very open about their communities on stuff like this. That you are gullible enough to pay that amount of time and money into whaterver the very same company may release because they brand it a different game, well, that's your problem.

That the very same company makes these kind of moves and send, or not send, which is still telling something, these kind of messages, is an issue. And an issue both for the community and for the very same company.

Ok cool, you just cried your eyes out because you think you can't use IA minis for Legion.

So what the **** am I supposed to do about that? Seriously, what kind of response are you expecting? Even without people guilt tripping you, there will always be a rift in the community because there will always be those salty people who think they can't use their IA minis.

Am I supposed to console you? Say it's going to be ok?

Am I supposed to tell you to get over it and drop a few hundred on Legion?

Am I supposed to tell you to bring your IA minis anyway because I don't care and I want you to play?

Am I supposed to tell you to take your whiny complaints to the IA forums and don't come back?

Am I supposed to barge into FFG and start breaking bones until they change the scale to IA?

Seriously, what type of response are you looking for? Because the only people I see causing a rift in the community is the people ******* they can't use their IA minis for Legion. Everyone else is excited.

3 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor west end games star wars miniatures

25mm. To small to use.

But you can use the new ones instead of the old ones for WEG :P

for the rest of the topic...

I don't really get the IA gripe. They're not compatible games, nor should they be. If players want to use them for role playing and storm troopers of varying heights will crush immersion, I don't know what to say. Theater of the mind is probably not an option :P

If anything, the larger scale is a bummer because of what it means for AT-ATs if they ever get released. I already have 3 large dogs. I can't be buying plastic the size of a small dog at $100ish a pop! :P

Just now, qwertyuiop said:

I was actyally thinking about using LegionVader in IA, so he looks even bigger and more intimidating.

10 hours ago, Guest Shameful Display said:

The sense of entitlement of people who bought a "similar" game, based on "similar" miniature, from the very same company, and sold with the very "similar" concept from the beginning, and you still fail to see this as something else than "entitilment from a bunch of kids?"

Well, people invest time they hardly have and moneuy they work hard to make in these game. If you fail to see why that my be very bothersome to lots, I wonder who's the one entitled here.

Beside, as said elsewhere, if they had been clear on the compatibility issues from the very start there would be no issue.
But there is nothing said as such, and as demonstrated elsewhere, other companies are clear on these and are very open about their communities on stuff like this. That you are gullible enough to pay that amount of time and money into whaterver the very same company may release because they brand it a different game, well, that's your problem.

That the very same company makes these kind of moves and send, or not send, which is still telling something, these kind of messages, is an issue. And an issue both for the community and for the very same company.

200.gif

1 minute ago, Robin Graves said:

I was actyally thinking about using LegionVader in IA, so he looks even bigger and more intimidating.

quoted because I can't like twice

Edited by qwertyuiop
Just now, Robin Graves said:

Oh no, that is strictly off limits. You can't use Legion minis in IA. The FFG Police will confiscate all FFG products.

2 minutes ago, qwertyuiop said:

for the rest of the topic...

I don't really get the IA gripe. They're not compatible games, nor should they be. If players want to use them for role playing and storm troopers of varying heights will crush immersion, I don't know what to say. Theater of the mind is probably not an option :P

If anything, the larger scale is a bummer because of what it means for AT-ATs if they ever get released. I already have 3 large dogs. I can't be buying plastic the size of a small dog at $100ish a pop! :P

Modern mini games tend to go towards the large, I'm afraid. GW started it with Knights and daemon primarchs and PP followed suit with Gargantuans.

3 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

You know, that is such a good point. Legion models are compatible with IA, just not vice verse. Haha!