28mm Compared to 32mm - Picture examples

By kurttkrueger, in Star Wars: Legion

To give some idea on what the scale difference will look like between IA and Legion miniatures, I thought I'd throw up a couple of comparison shots of some IA minis next to known 32mm scale miniatures. In this instance, miniatures from the various Knight Models range.

Attached is Vader with Cyclops and Batman. You can clearly see, that even with the resin base toppers, the 32mm are much much bigger than poor old Vader, who should tower over both of these. I thought this might prove useful to get a gauge on how the minis will compare once we have them in our hands.

IMG_3883.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

Thanks for trying to supply us with visual comparison. However, the angle of the photograph and the base toppers do not give for a very clear comparison. Same goes for the use of Vader in a not-quite erect pose compared to the other miniatures that are in fully erect poses.

The resin bases are pretty good match actually as the Legion bases are a lot bigger than the Imperial Assault one (they like a bit ridiculously big to be honest).

Is this one any better?

The GCPD Cop is still 32mm.

IMG_3893.JPG

I'm not sure that company A version of 32mm scale always matches company B. Just have to wait and see.

Great paintwork on those guys.

They look the same scale to me, but Imperial Assault were 32mm figures. I know because it was a point of discussion with the Descent community. We'll have to see how it works on the Legion figures.

It seems to me that those who want to see incompatibility are choosing to see incompatibility, while those who want to see compatibility are choosing to see that.

Being of the latter tribe, these pictures do not convince me that you can't use IA miniatures in Legion and vice versa.

30 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

It seems to me that those who want to see incompatibility are choosing to see incompatibility, while those who want to see compatibility are choosing to see that.

Being of the latter tribe, these pictures do not convince me that you can't use IA miniatures in Legion and vice versa.

Please don't misinterpret why I'm posting these pictures. It's for information only. I for one am happy with the larger scale of Legion.

Just stick the IA models on Legion bases and I reckon they will be within useable tolerances, if a little smaller.

Zuf2AzD.jpg

Not a great picture, but an actual IA model next to an actual Legion model.

Edited by TallTonyB
2 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

Zuf2AzD.jpg

Wow, OK. I think the base makes a huge difference, but there IS a difference. Not massive, by any stretch though.

When you hold them up next to each other with the tops of the bases level, the IA one comes up just over the shoulder of the legion one. The heightisn't the only thing, it's wider too. And the detail is much better thanks to the better plastic used now (latest descent, runewars).

Too big to use side by side :(

Shame on FFG for this. Newcomers will be happy : good for them. For those who invested a lot in IA, this is disgusting.

6 minutes ago, Guest Leonidas said:

Shame on FFG for this. Newcomers will be happy : good for them. For those who invested a lot in IA, this is disgusting.

You can still play IA with your investment tho; you've not lost anything.

SW:L is a different type of game and the bigger scale looks great.

31 minutes ago, Guest Leonidas said:

Don't speak for all of us thanks. Spme of us are very happy with better models :)

And some of us are very sad. :(

The new models are so much nicer than the IA ones. The detail and material are a lot better.

So legion improves upon IA. Why buy legion when the next game will improve upon Legion? It sounds like the ever improving circle.

Hate to say it but I was always marginally okay with IA minis. Some of the poses are downright goofy.

I have painted all of my IA minis which includes multiple expansions. If anyone would ever gripe about the larger scale models, it would be me. However, I'm not! I absolutely love the slightly larger scale. It just means that you can imbue the minis with that much more detail and emphasis on the game table. I couldn't be more excited! I hereby declare that this is going to be the FFG game to own and the game to play in the near future. :-)

3 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

Zuf2AzD.jpg

This is very frustrating. I'd have been happy to get the newer, higher quality minis while filling in extra forces with IA stand-ins.

One thing GW understands is that all of their models should have a place on the table. I don't see any reason why FFG couldn't keep the proportions similar while making them more modular. The above won't be so bad, but I'm very concerned that any vehicle units added into the game will look extremely out of scale.

Here's a rough photoshop to try to compensate for the larger base of the Legion figure. I actually expected the base to make a bigger difference, but after making this there is actually a larger difference in the figures themselves than I first thought.

Zuf2AzD.jpg

4 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

Zuf2AzD.jpg

Thanks for coming through with the detail. Also, pretty sure I saw you photo bombing one of the demo vids.

7 minutes ago, Doodlebug said:

Thanks for coming through with the detail. Also, pretty sure I saw you photo bombing one of the demo vids.

Lol, probably was me.

Was it the Team Covenant one with Alex?

Edited by TallTonyB