SHOW YOUR DREAM , SAY YOUR DISAPPOINT

By phorcys12, in Star Wars: Legion

9 minutes ago, player1750031 said:

So a dozen people with small arms?

And X-Wings and Y-Wings and E-Wings running bombing runs, Speeders using tow cables to tie up walker legs, weapons implacements etc etc.

So one faction almost exclusively on land and one almost exclusively in the air? I don't think that would make for riveting gameplay in the long run.

I'm tentatively excited about this game, but since all their other miniatures games requires you to buy models you don't want/need to get upgrade cards, I don't see why this one would be different all of a sudden. I don't expect to buy in because of that but I'll watch the updates with bated breath.

Rather disapoited myself. Wanted starwars 40k got star wars skirmish. Not many models will be on the battlefield. With the deck/card system the game won't scale up well.

Wanted a game where your reacting hoth and other large battles

1 minute ago, Guest Shock said:

Rather disapoited myself. Wanted starwars 40k got star wars skirmish. Not many models will be on the battlefield. With the deck/card system the game won't scale up well.

I admit that a rank and file large scale Star Wars battle would be awesome. Skirmish doesn't turn me off but having a legion of Stormtroopers sure would turn me on.

1 hour ago, player1750031 said:

So one faction almost exclusively on land and one almost exclusively in the air? I don't think that would make for riveting gameplay in the long run.

The empire also has TIE fighters and bombers you know. Have you never played Star Wars Battlefront? The empire basically has tons of crap troops and fighters to throw at you with one or two heavy hitters while the rebels have fewer units but they hit harder. That just how it works in Star Wars.

3 hours ago, player1750031 said:

So a dozen people with small arms?

Tiny T-Rex people? :o

Awesome! :D

QS =D

3 hours ago, Guest Shock said:

What are you basing this on?

For me X-Wing and Armada made sense, not sure why but Legion isn't doing it for me, yet. It will be interesting to see if pricing is similar to WH40k, in game point cost dictates real world price regardless of production cost, which I think will be the case.

It's not a bad thing to see Legion, it's kinda cool if you're starting a fresh hobby, but it's a shame it does feel like it takes something away from Imperial Assault as a franchise for some reason. For me personally anyway.

41 minutes ago, Tirion said:

What are you basing this on?

From playing the demo Friday at gencon.

I don't think it's a bad game but it doesn't feel like a miniature game. Low model count, fantasy flights simplified game mechanics, and feels like their isn't much depth in the mechanics.

Not for me, im sure other people will enjoy it. It's FF and SW so it will do well.

21 minutes ago, Guest Shock said:

I don't think it's a bad game but it doesn't feel like a miniature game. Low model count, fantasy flights simplified game mechanics, and feels like their isn't much depth in the mechanics.

Not for me, im sure other people will enjoy it. It's FF and SW so it will do well.

That was only 400 points. Standard is 800 epic will be 1600. That's not enough models?

12 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

I was expecting Star Warhammers 40K.

I got Star Warhammers 40K.

I am not disappoint.

My wife and I both dreamt about this everytime we've sat down to play tabletop games the past four years.

While playing Dust, "I'd be cool if this was Star Wars" -My wife and I

While trying out Warmachine "They really outta have a Star Wars game like this" -Me

While playing Imperial Assault "Skirmish is cool, could we play it like Dust?" -My wife..

Bolt Action version 2, "I'd play if it was Star Wars" -My Wife.

Konflikt 47,"This is like a cheaper version of Dust, they should make a Star Wars one" My wife.

Runewars Miniature Game " Do we need another Wargame" -My Wife.

Needless to say she's already scheming how to stomp my Rebel Legions..

3 hours ago, Guest Shock said:

Is this like basing a 40k game on only the beginner box? 40k at the 500p level is a skirmish game without much depth simply because you don't have the points for lots of models or fancy wargear. A couple squads, an hq with maybe a fancy weapon and a single fast attack option if you are lucky.

By comparison that's exactly what you're looking at here. Luke/Vader, 2 Stormtrooper/Rebel squads, and a speeder/light walker detail. That's practically a 1:1 to a 40k army at that point level.

Watching the demos online it appears to have comparable mechanics (move, shoot, save). There's some things that appear simpler to help streamline things (squad leader is the movement and measurement point).

Likely we'll see more models as the game expands, allowing higher point values, vehicles, more wargear, and so on.

Finally, like 40k, while high point values make for good dioramas, they also make for games that take an entire day to play. Low point games can be knocked out in an hour, less if you know the game really well. Which is kinda important when you are demoing a new game at a conference.

Edited by Ghostofman
8 hours ago, player1750031 said:

No. One faction (Empire) relies on heavy armor to do most of their attacks with standardized infantry, good-ish cheap air cover, and some very powerful single heroes (Darth Vader, Palpatine, Inquisitors).

The other (Rebels) Relies on diverse, flexible infantry types, diverse heroes with unique combinations, better mobility, engineering/battlefield modification options, and diverse heroes. On top of superior and flexible airpower.

It's not that hard to visualize; it's more or less the case in a few of FFG's board games dealing with the empire vs rebellion. We see it in the Rebellion boardgame (Rebels rely on actions and leaders to do the job, their military is only to accomplish their objectives) and Armada (Supremacy in small ship economies, excellent starfighters). Hard to say where Legions will be balanced, considering it's the Rebels that start with a walker and the Empire has fast speeders. But that can chanage very quickly because we have more examples of Imperial Armor (AT-STs, TX-225 Occupiers).

The community is divided into 2 camp: those who are happy, those who wanted 15 mm to play the battles of the trilogy. I forgot those disappointed of the lack of compatibility with Empire conquest.

In the end, I'm not unhappy with this announcement, just not what I expected, and I just hope that this part of the community that wanted something else will have what it wants in due course. This game may just be too expensive for me, especially as I take everything (in every faction) or nothing. I can not resist heavy tanks and speeders, so wait for my dream come true and wait with X-wing and armada.

6 hours ago, Guest Shock said:

Its not low model count. A full sized game of 1000pts could be up to 90 Stormtroopers. You played a demo game.

Granted 90 STs is a niche example, but even 40-60 models a side seems reasonable, and that's not low model count at all (says the Infinity/Malifaux/Armada player....).

In fact 40-60 is right in 40K territory for many armies, hordes like Nids/IG/Orks aside.

40 minutes ago, phorcys12 said:

The community is divided into 2 camp: those who are happy, those who wanted 15 mm to play the battles of the trilogy that one very specific battle with the tow cable gimmick that's so asymmetrical that it would make a neat scenario but couldn't sustain an entire wargame line.

Fixed that for you.

Edited by player1750031
53 minutes ago, player1750031 said:

Fixed that for you.

nope . Battle of Hoth , ok , but also : battle of scarif who count something like AT-AT , the prélogic battles of the clone wars with all the atmosphéric ships and ground véhicles , the gungan battle agaisnt the CAB's droids army . and the battle of kashyyk , and the battles who should come in next movie .... It's too spécific for you ?? Ok , part of them could be played with legion , but with a bigger money investissement than a lot of people could ...

Scarif was a dozen Rebels with small arms. The actual 'battle' part of the operation was in space. The rest of the stuff you mention isn't Galactic Cival War era so is not pertaining either to the game or the 'various battles of the OT' argument used.

Edited by player1750031
42 minutes ago, phorcys12 said:

nope . Battle of Hoth , ok , but also : battle of scarif who count something like AT-AT , the prélogic battles of the clone wars with all the atmosphéric ships and ground véhicles , the gungan battle agaisnt the CAB's droids army . and the battle of kashyyk , and the battles who should come in next movie .... It's too spécific for you ?? Ok , part of them could be played with legion , but with a bigger money investissement than a lot of people could ...

Would the word 'massacre' be more appropriate than the word 'battle' and does that sound fun for the reb player?

In a dedicated 2 player board game, with appropriate mechanics, yes it does; for legion, i'm not so sure so I'm good with it as is.

I mean, I get it. Some people wanted a larger-scale battle. The problem is that large-scale battles in the Galactic Civil War were either strictly space battles or highly asymmetrical battles with Empire dominating land and Rebels dominating air, and even then more often than not for Rebels the battle was more of a fighting retreat. That sort of asymmetrical engagement is all nice and good, but wouldn't sustain an entire wargaming line. A specific scenario, sure. A self-contained boxed wargame, sure. An expandable miniature wargame with a variable points system? Nope.

Edited by player1750031
1 hour ago, player1750031 said:

I mean, I get it. Some people wanted a larger-scale battle. The problem is that large-scale battles in the Galactic Civil War were either strictly space battles or highly asymmetrical battles with Empire dominating land and Rebels dominating air, and even then more often than not for Rebels the battle was more of a fighting retreat. That sort of asymmetrical engagement is all nice and good, but wouldn't sustain an entire wargaming line. A specific scenario, sure. A self-contained boxed wargame, sure. An expandable miniature wargame with a variable points system? Nope.

Actually it was either the Rebels getting caught in a bad situation or them choosing a more favorable target with specific target or objective in mind.

Points per side are what level the playing field. A 300 point AT-AT for example (not actual cost AFAIK) would be countered by 300 points of rebel units. The points balance the battle. Thats how miniature games work.

In 40K a player could take 1 "death star" unit (one unit that is stupid strong) and the other player could take a pile of cheap units. The "death star" unit is going to kill alot of the cheap units but they get worn down in the end, it usually ends up fairly balanced.

2 hours ago, player1750031 said:

Asymmetrical is what Star Wars is really all about. Many of these mini battles are screaming for scenario/campaign play. I think it is possible to play both balanced and scenario/campaign style with asymetry. I think it is possible to have our cake and eat it too.

Just want to point out that Scarif was (fairly) balanced because of the surprise and audacity of the rebels. As soon as Empire troops got their stuff together the balance was thrown out the window (that and a couple of AT-ACT's helped - and of course the Death Star).

Thinking better about this it would be an interesting and balanced Legion scenario to play if air support was excluded... maybe...

Edited by Kentares
A random thought...
1 hour ago, Kentares said:

Thinking better about this it would be an interesting and balanced Legion scenario to play if air support was excluded... maybe...

Nooooo! I want larger models of X- wings and stuff! lol