Where is the First Order?

By Raging Celt, in Star Wars: Legion

5 minutes ago, Weatsop said:

Yeah, I'm there. That is a genuinely interesting fight.

Treat a joke army serious, with serious rules? I'll play.

Make joke rules? I'm out.

Agreed. If you look at the Gungans for that fight, they were obviously not a joke as such, prepared behind shields and fought on their own terms(could argue they shouldnt have fought in the open..but I think they were drawing the droids away from the city so maybe had to come out into the open??).

It only became daft when they showed that idiot thing.

Any other director, haaaa.

No, sorry, shouldn't start me old-man-rant.

Nothing star wars ever had a bad design, IMO. Bring it on, make it fun, make the rules make sense, and I will love it.

To be honest, tho I find globaly that OT is the best, I know i would fall in love for a CSI army lead by Dooku.

But... Kylo Ren. To be honest, the TFA version with his Helmet on is so freaking badass IMO. Plus I see a "Force Stasis" power in the kind of the Choke or Push : Range 1, exhaust, unit get a Stasis token : will do 1 action its next activation (stasis token are not taken of during end step) with him...

EDIT : For during the CW, I want to see a "double side" Anakin : Either we chose to play him as Light Side, with all the options, or Dark Side (yes, with clones) with all the option too.

Edited by RaevenKS

The Clone Wars have to be coming. In the book that comes with the game they say "Troopers are the humans, aliens and droids.... " They also say "Vehicles are the walker, airspeeders, repulsor tanks and speeder bikes...."

As far as the First Order and Resistance we will most likely have to wait until the trilogy is fleshed out and the story is concluded. Other than the skirmish on Takodana that really only consisted of Han, Chewbacca, Finn and Rey it was mostly an air strike on Starkiller base and then slowly chasing the Resistance through space and the First Order trying to "open" a closed door. There has yet to be a formal First Order vs Resistance ground battle.

In the GCW ERA we got the battle of Hoth, the battle of Endor, Sullust was mentioned but never seen, and in the newly installed canon of Rogue One we got Scarif and we know skirmishes were the norm on Jehda. The Clone Wars had more ground combat locations shown in one film then all the other films so far combined. (Revenge of the Sith during Order 66 sequence)

Sorry to the "I love the sequels" crowd but Disney did what they do best at their theme parks and just renovated the OT and sold it as something new. Everything in the sequels is just a touched up version from the original trilogy. At least the prequels had unique looking ships and vehicles that you could see might be inspiration for episodes 4-6.

Edited by C3POFETT

I think that Prequels are next, because as many have said, the sequels need to be fleshed out more. The prequels just have so much content for a game like this.

That said, the people yelling "GCW ERA ONLY" are going to be sorely disappointed I think. Unlike IA, war games tend to have a variety of armies. Star Wars, also, has a variety of armies, spread across multiple eras. I don't think FFG is going to miss the boat on a much wider range of product offering, through cool units like Jedi armies or Droid armies. I agree GCW has tons of cool stuff to draw from, but so does the Clone Wars. Hopefully the war between the Resistance and the First Order will as well.

GCW is where they are starting, and it makes a ton of sense to start there. However, if there isn't a 2nd core set that exists by the end of 2020 featuring either Republic / Separatists or First Order / Resistance I will be thoroughly shocked.

The Republic buys the clone army to fight the separatists, Palatine takes over the Republic, and gains a clone army.

What is the clear demarcation between when the clones phased out and Stormtroopers phased in? I was hoping to see some of that in Solo. When did the last AT-TE leave the field, and I’m talking about ones still in Militia hands, leaving only AT-AT on the field?

32 minutes ago, Copes said:

I think that Prequels are next, because as many have said, the sequels need to be fleshed out more. The prequels just have so much content for a game like this.

That said, the people yelling "GCW ERA ONLY" are going to be sorely disappointed I think. Unlike IA, war games tend to have a variety of armies. Star Wars, also, has a variety of armies, spread across multiple eras. I don't think FFG is going to miss the boat on a much wider range of product offering, through cool units like Jedi armies or Droid armies. I agree GCW has tons of cool stuff to draw from, but so does the Clone Wars. Hopefully the war between the Resistance and the First Order will as well.

GCW is where they are starting, and it makes a ton of sense to start there. However, if there isn't a 2nd core set that exists by the end of 2020 featuring either Republic / Separatists or First Order / Resistance I will be thoroughly shocked.

I don't think many people are arguing it should be GCW only , just that the GCW era is given its due before they move on to Prequel and Sequel stuff(note - I don't consider Rebels appropriating GAR surplus like the AT-RTs as Prequel content, it makes perfect sense they'd do stuff like that, Prequel stuff would be actual Clones vs Droids army-style). Properly flesh out Rebels and Imperials with Rebels/Solo -through- RotJ time period content, ideally with some Scum from the same era, and even most of the grumbling grognards will deal with FFG shifting their focus to other material. Folk just don't want to see them release a few units for either side and then sideline the GCW stuff.

The sequel generation is not the next generation of gamers, they are too young for that, the prequel generation is, people of my age. I remember the launch of every prequel movie (okay, I'm a bit foggy on episode one, but I was only 3, then. Do remember the LEGO sets, though!) and grew up playing the very prequel-heavy Star Wars games of the day. I recognize their flaws as movies, but they drip nostalgia anyways and the vehicles were just great! I know at least two people I grew up with that would jump on an opportunity to play a prequel era tabletop, who I know won't be tempted much by OT content. I prefer the OT aesthetic at this point, but they do not and I don't believe they are alone.

For the moment I selfishly want the OT to be fleshed out, but once the game is established, FFG should release prequel content. I know some players aren't comfortable with mixing eras, but this can be avoided with different formats, where one is OT only, one PT only, and an unlimited format exists in which armies are able to fight anyone. What I don't want to see is mixed armies, since the whole 'republic = good, but republic -> empire' thing just creates too many issues.

Personally, I'm hoping they keep it with two factions for a while or add in a pseudo third with a fringe/scum set of minis that are mainly designed to be useable with either side. FFG needs to get enough for there to be a real variety for Imperials and Rebels before they move into the other areas.

Now, I could see there being some exceptions, for example having a set of First Order Stormtroopers, which would still function as Imperial Stormtroopers ruleswise, just a different look and perhaps adding a few special upgrade cards that would be stormtrooper only and could also work to make the current stormies a bit better. The resistance having a few of the same would also work to let there be some pull off of the new movies while not really changing the setup, same as the TFA set for X-Wing where it was there to try adding from the people looking at the new stuff.

Things like special variants of existing forces would make for an interesting way to expand while not going to far, to fast. Having, say, a 501st Stormtrooper upgrade pack available. Having it cost, say, $10 and has the equivalent of a couple minis (Say some alternate arms and bodies that swap with existing pieces from a normal Stormtrooper set) and extra cards for them, would be another way to expand them that might make things more interesting for players.

For the Clone Wars stuff, I'd love to see it with the massive variety of army options on both sides there, plus even more Scum options. However, I don't see it happening any time soon since having a few sets is far easier than needing multiple full armies to do it.

For those commenting about tanks and droids, the Empire and Rebellion had those as well...even something like probe droids or some reprogrammed battle droids would work to start fitting things into it.

3 hours ago, Yodhrin said:

I don't think many people are arguing it should be GCW only , just that the GCW era is given its due before they move on to Prequel and Sequel stuff(note - I don't consider Rebels appropriating GAR surplus like the AT-RTs as Prequel content, it makes perfect sense they'd do stuff like that, Prequel stuff would be actual Clones vs Droids army-style). Properly flesh out Rebels and Imperials with Rebels/Solo -through- RotJ time period content, ideally with some Scum from the same era, and even most of the grumbling grognards will deal with FFG shifting their focus to other material. Folk just don't want to see them release a few units for either side and then sideline the GCW stuff.

Couldn't agree more, which is why I use my "year or two" timeframe. I think that it will be foolish to expand until there are a variety of viable armies for each of the existing factions. Still tons of expansion left for those eras.

And I agree as well. GCW should run from Solo (or even earlier, like the Darth Vader comics) right up until ROTJ. So much to draw from.

13 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Legion is in a strange place right now. Two factions isn't enough, but so early into its infancy, it needs to get established.

I think the primary focus should be just the two factions of Empire and Rebel for the foreseeable future. Most of the other factions are merely subfactions who can be bought with credits of political power to be swayed temporarily to one side or another. For that very reason I would rather have a system in place to hire Hutts, Mandelorians, etc. to your side (Empire OR Rebel) to be a part of a given list. AND possibly have them costed different depending on the side they are being brought to.

But that is just my opinion.

4 hours ago, Yodhrin said:

17 minutes ago, Copes said:

Couldn't agree more, which is why I use my "year or two" timeframe. I think that it will be foolish to expand until there are a variety of viable armies for each of the existing factions. Still tons of expansion left for those eras.

And I agree as well. GCW should run from Solo (or even earlier, like the Darth Vader comics) right up until ROTJ. So much to draw from.

I agree so much with both of you as far as foreseeable content. Definitely Solo/Rogue One/Rebels era to RotJ for now. Then Prequels, then sequels. However, I have to imagine there will be a push by Disney to get some of the latest movie stuff out.

The characters in Rogue One and Rebels are certainly near and dear to me. Sabine and Zeb setting up bombs/demolition tactics (somehow)... or the TX-225w “Occupier” combat assault tank used by the Empire on Jedha:

imperial-tank-rogue-one-720x480-c.jpg?fi

Edited by Sephlar
4 hours ago, Hawktel said:

What is the clear demarcation between when the clones phased out and Stormtroopers phased in?

So in Rebels it was stated there was a military act passed to retire all the clones from active duty, though I do not think it was stated when exactly that was.

From a Legion player perspective, I have no interest in non-GCW era units. But the painter in me is extremely interested in having a crack at a number of units from other eras that aren't available in IA...Kylo Ren, droid armies, clones, Snoke's guard etc

11 minutes ago, Big Easy said:

From a Legion player perspective, I have no interest in non-GCW era units. But the painter in me is extremely interested in having a crack at a number of units from other eras that aren't available in IA...Kylo Ren, droid armies, clones, Snoke's guard etc

What is your reasoning for not wanting GCW from a player's perspective? Just wondering what differs.

1 minute ago, ricoratso said:

What is your reasoning for not wanting GCW from a player's perspective? Just wondering what differs.

To clarify, I do prefer only GCW. The reason is purely personal preference. The "Star Wars feeling" for me is the OT and OT-setting material like Rebels and Rogue One. If the game adds other eras there will be mixing of eras which takes me out of it a little bit (I realize X-wing does this with no big issues).

However I know that is just one perspective, albeit a pretty common one. There's also the perspective of people who love all the eras, or were brought up more on the more recent material (which I also like to varying extents). In the end I don't want to prevent them from getting what they want, especially if it helps grow and sustain the game.

1 minute ago, Big Easy said:

To clarify, I do prefer only GCW. The reason is purely personal preference. The "Star Wars feeling" for me is the OT and OT-setting material like Rebels and Rogue One. If the game adds other eras there will be mixing of eras which takes me out of it a little bit (I realize X-wing does this with no big issues).

However I know that is just one perspective, albeit a pretty common one. There's also the perspective of people who love all the eras, or were brought up more on the more recent material (which I also like to varying extents). In the end I don't want to prevent them from getting what they want, especially if it helps grow and sustain the game.

Ahhhh okay that makes sense, for some reason I thought you meant you would want to paint the models from different eras but never have them implemented? I guess I misunderstood your original statement.

But I really appreciate the way you address your opinion. Specifically how your personal opinion doesn't get in the way with you wanting to make Legion have a long and fulfilling life.

9 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Agreed. If you look at the Gungans for that fight, they were obviously not a joke as such, prepared behind shields and fought on their own terms(could argue they shouldnt have fought in the open..but I think they were drawing the droids away from the city so maybe had to come out into the open??).

It only became daft when they showed that idiot thing.

Yea, the whole battle with the Gungans was meant to draw as many forces away from the city as possible. A large field where they could be seen forming up probably was the best way to draw the Federation's attention so that the smaller attack on the palace could play out.

6 hours ago, Copes said:

I don't think we need new core sets, just follow Rune Wars' example with their sort of faction pack expansions with the Elves and the like.

2 hours ago, Copes said:

I think the Darth Vader comics take place after Rebels, since the queen he fights is just an egg in Rebels.

11 hours ago, Weatsop said:

I loathed the prequels, but I'd cheerfully face or even run a battledroid army. First because the designs are just fine, and second because you're not really supposed to barrack for an army of undead idiots, but they're still fun.

But if anyone says "roger roger" I will punch them!*

*By "punch" I mean wince and then ironically frown at. And then laugh, because hey, magic space wizards.

Yes, we can all criticize the prequels for the lack luster story and bad acting but if people start saying they weren't pretty movies or the art design as bad, they too, need to be punched as haters. The designs are solid and fit this kind of game perfectly.

With that said, FFG has avoided the prequels for the most part though destiny has warmed them to those characters. It is possible down the road but for now we will only see GCW stuff until EP9 comes out, then Disney will let FFG know what they are adding into their game for the core marketing campaign for EP9.

On 8/18/2017 at 11:56 PM, Raging Celt said:

There are hints of the Clone Wars but where is the First Order era?

The game just released. Give it time, baby.

I think ffg have to release news of any prequal or sequal armies now or never.

In a year myself and others will have our big painted armies of rebels and empire so a switch to a new army Will be both expensive and time consuming. On the other hand the People who is holding out on legion and waiting for prequal armies will have lost interest if it's released so late. Same problem as with Runewars

14 hours ago, Mep said:

Yes, we can all criticize the prequels for the lack luster story and bad acting but if people start saying they weren't pretty movies or the art design as bad, they too, need to be punched as haters. The designs are solid and fit this kind of game perfectly.

With that said, FFG has avoided the prequels for the most part though destiny has warmed them to those characters. It is possible down the road but for now we will only see GCW stuff until EP9 comes out, then Disney will let FFG know what they are adding into their game for the core marketing campaign for EP9.

Sorry, but in this case I'm a "hater". Episode I was in my opinion a very terrible, unnecessary childish movie, the plot of Episode II was not very interesting for me and Episode III has very worst plot holes and logic brakes in the whole film universe. For all three movies I can honestly say, the most effects aged terrible.

About the design of the droid army, I'm not a fan. In my opinion they looks to clumsy. In expression Big spiders with big round eyes and long laser-canon noses, fragile battle droids. I mean, common, no one expected them as the intellectual beasts on the battlefield. But they loose head, arms and legs and be defeated by shock waves where a human will fall to ground in maximum? Who will build a BATTLE droid with such a durability? The clone army on the other side, is the imperial army with slightly changed armor.

Edited by TobiWan
1 hour ago, jocke01 said:

I think ffg have to release news of any prequal or sequal armies now or never.

In a year myself and others will have our big painted armies of rebels and empire so a switch to a new army Will be both expensive and time consuming. On the other hand the People who is holding out on legion and waiting for prequal armies will have lost interest if it's released so late. Same problem as with Runewars

That presumes the only people who could be interested in Legion are those presently aware of it. The reality is plenty of folk will only stumble upon the game well after they've started added non-GCW era content, or will hear about it because of the doubtless big buzz if & when they do push out PT/ST content, or will periodically swing back around and see what's been happening since their last year+ ago check-in, etc etc.

I mean, look at Games Workshop. They treated Sisters of Battle - both their players and their fiction - like hot garbage for 20 years with absolutely zero real hint that they intended their attitude to change, now they're finally giving them the all-plastic range revamp they needed(they've been using pretty much the same all-metal models since the 90's) and while there's some skepticism and grumbling people are, generally, hyped; and most of those people aren't the folk who've been waiting 20 years to see the faction given its due, they're new players or returning players or people who collected other armies but will give the Sisters another look once they have a modern miniature range.

The most important factors in whether or not PT/ST content would succeed for Legion are A: the models are good, and B: they let people know it's coming long enough before it does that they can plan to make purchases. The first is pretty assured, even on predominantly-GW forums only the snobbiest "miniature collector" types were dumping on Legion's models, and the second only requires four to six months of notice(longer would be better in a general sense, but in a "this box of models is coming out on this date" sense a few months is usually sufficient for those of us who actually have to budget our hobby spending to make adjustments).

5 minutes ago, TobiWan said:

Sorry, but in this case I'm a "hater". Episode I was in my opinion a very terrible, unnecessary childish movie, the plot of Episode II was not very interesting for me and Episode III has very worst plot holes and logic brakes in the whole film universe. For all three movies I can honestly say, the most effects aged terrible.

About the design of the droid army, I'm not a fan. In my opinion they looks to clumsy. In expression Big spiders with big round eyes and long laser-canon noses, fragile battle droids. I mean, common, no one expected them as the intellectual beasts on the battlefield. But they loose head, arms and legs and be defeated by shock waves where a human will fall to ground in maximum? Who will build a BATTLE droid with such a durability?

Ep1 , yes childish, only becomes more like a star wars film when the door opens and Maul is there to confront the Jedi.

Ep 2, sluggish plot, poor efects aging agreed.

Ep3 imo is brilliant and shows Anakins downfall and rise of the empire brilliantly. Love so many bits such as Obi Wan coming down the ramp to confront his pupil. Only real bad thing for me is 'the high ground'.

Droid army agreed....so many spider bots etc it looked like they were giving children a robot wars exhibition. A bit like now with TLJ, everyone loves ATAT walkers...but somehow Disney imagined people would love them more if they looked like they had gorilla arms........no.