No IA compatibility = no purchase

By TylerTT, in Star Wars: Legion

Lucas, it would have been funnier if your alternate troll username was "George" instead of "John."

1 minute ago, Manchu said:

Lucas, it would have been funnier if your alternate troll username was "George" instead of "John."

****, meant to post that on this account. This is getting tricky!

We are Legion, no?

1 minute ago, Manchu said:

We are Legion, no?

*mic drop*

1 minute ago, Cade Bulkin said:

*mic drop*

Quite. Perfect end to this strange discussion :D

14 minutes ago, Manchu said:

We are Legion, no?

Hydra dominatus! Wait wrong legion . :D

I was gonna defend the differences in scale, but the more I think of it, I come to believe that FFG is making it difficult on themselves. They made all new molds while they could have used the same models from IA. *

They could even have done some cross polination by having IA figures come with cards that allowed you to use them in legion, and vice versa. (WOTC did it with Dungeon Command and Wrath of Ashardalon.)

* of course then someone would have complained that the minis were the same and FFG was getting lazy. ;)

Oh well It matters little to me really. However the whole "different scale" argument made me think of this :

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper

Just now, Robin Graves said:

I was gonna defend the differences in scale, but the more I think of it, I come to believe that FFG is making it difficult on themselves. They made all new molds while they could have used the same models from IA. *

They could even have done some cross polination by having IA figures come with cards that allowed you to use them in legion, and vice versa. (WOTC did it with Dungeon Command and Wrath of Ashardalon.)

* of course then someone would have complained that the minis were the same and FFG was getting lazy. ;)

IA models, while adequate for a board game, are far too poor quality for a true miniature wargame and hobbyists, in my opinion.

Plus, as mentioned, Legion has more sculpt variety so FFG would have had to make more molds anyhow.

1 minute ago, Wired4War said:

IA models, while adequate for a board game, are far too poor quality for a true miniature wargame and hobbyists, in my opinion.

The ATST and Rancor hold up, but yeah you are correct. (those IA probe droids...sigh.)

TBH even RW-level miniatures are not great compared to GW. The soft plastic results in bendy spears (in Legion, bendy lightsabers) and although I used hot water to bend them straight, they all bent right back in a few hours. Plus, the detail on RW models is quite soft compared to GW kits. That said, RW (and hopefully Legion) are not quite in the same stratospheric price range as GW.

Just now, Manchu said:

TBH even RW-level miniatures are not great compared to GW. The soft plastic results in bendy spears (in Legion, bendy lightsabers) and although I used hot water to bend them straight, they all bent right back in a few hours. Plus, the detail on RW models is quite soft compared to GW kits. That said, RW (and hopefully Legion) are not quite in the same stratospheric price range as GW.

Yeah you don NOT wan't a crooked lighstaber. :D

Yeah GW knows what they are doing (well they should). Speaking of scale and GW: If they ever make an AT-ST for Legion, how big do you think it will be? About the size of a 40k Knight or a bit shorter?

Man these guest accounts are pretty annoying. I guess it's all one guy switching between accounts to make it look like there is a huge crowd upset by the scale difference to try and sway FFG, as if that is possible.

We once had a guy in the Armada forums who thought anyone who disagreed with him worked for FFG. It was a **** weird time explaining to him that no one worked for FFG.

27 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

There is no way to win on the internet. Entitled people are always going to whine and complain.

25 minutes ago, Wired4War said:

I've only ever painted IA (and a couple x-wing repaints) and I can't wait to start painting these figures. They look so much better.

24 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Plus, as mentioned, Legion has more sculpt variety so FFG would have had to make more molds anyhow.

That's my favorite part. Not all the troopers are going to be in the same pose. <3

I was pretty surprised by the sculpt variety. There are only four different poses in a unit of Daqan spearmen. Seven different sculpts in a Legion unit!

5 hours ago, Manchu said:

Disagree. In the core set for Legion there are 7 different stormtrooper sculpts and 7 different rebel trooper sculpts. In order to have this variety of sculpts, new molds would need to be made anyway.

There are at least three stormtroopers for IA which could be used, plus Vader and Luke. As the expansions come out, I'm sure we'll see Han, Leia, Chewie, etc. - which all could have used the existing molds. Common troops don't make up such a high percentage of the IA molds that there wouldn't be a significant reduction in new molds needed as Legion grows through the first few waves of releases.

That is unlikely precisely because Legion relies on troops, therefore even considering there will likely be sculpts for Han and Leia, there probably will not be as many one-off sculpts as with IA and there definitely will be a need for many poses of a certain figure type. Therefore, IA sculpts would not actually contribute much of the work that needs to be done for Legion.

I'm so excited to paint miniatures again.

Really if the scale difference bothers anyone get some bases or laser cut wooden disks and raise the IA mini up a few mm.

I'm with the OP. Having figures 10% bigger (just enough to look out of scale) means I cant use my existing troops. Which means I cant use the time I have invested in painting my IA figures. If the figures had been 32mm -- same scale as IA, but hard plastic and better sculpts, I would have been all over this like a rash!

And I must say that IA and Legion are highly related. Almost the same scale. Roughly the same number of troops (I could play the Legion demo with my IA figs, except for the speeders). A conversion kit for IA wouldnt have been expensive and could have been another thing to sell. Terrain for Legion could also be used in IA (consoles, evaporators, etc). And oh -- this is what wargames have done since time immemorial. I can use my painted 28mm WWII figures for multiple games. Expecting me to repaint figures for a new game makes the new game a non starter for me. And its not just me -- its about 1/2 the gamers in my group. As far as I am concerned, this is a massive own goal for FFG.

50 minutes ago, The Law said:

I'm so excited to paint miniatures again.

Same here. I'm looking forward to painting some at this scale :) Aside from X-Wing I've not played this kind of miniature wargame since Warmahordes a couple years ago. Can't wait for Legion to hit the shelves!

11 minutes ago, Guest Nick B said:

Roughly the same number of troops (I could play the Legion demo with my IA figs, except for the speeders).

Not really. Legion is unit-based and a core (corps?) unit seems to be 6 figures max (NCO, squad weapon, 4 troopers). And each side will have like 3-4 such squads. So you will need quite a few IA figs - with hardly any sculpt variety - to fill out your force.

Not saying it couldn't be done but the mere fact that it could be doesn't amount to IA and Legion being related.

As for being "almost the same scale" - scale doesn't make them related, either. I mean, it can't be both - scale is similar enough that they are related but the source of the complaint is the scales are too dissimilar?

I agree with the OP, I don't think this is a worthwhile investment for me, I'm out.

I would be happy to mix figures despite the scale difference.