Sorry About The Mess: Arena B

By Richardbuxton, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Where are your rolls to see whether those faces were adjacent to Triumphs? Each of those faces appears on the die twice, so it should be 50/50 on each of them.

2 minutes ago, SithArissa said:

He has cortosis so the AP grenade will still have soak applied. If that's even gonna matter

Edit : I'm posting a lot cause I'm snowed in, Ill and cant sleep. Tell me to shut up if I'm interfering.

Hmmm good point. Then again, it just means it can't be used on Tanson, so I'll be cool with it. The mistake was on my part in both camps. It's more fun this way! ^^

2 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

Where are your rolls to see whether those faces were adjacent to Triumphs? Each of those faces appears on the die twice, so it should be 50/50 on each of them.

http://orokos.com/roll/599159

Each die generated a 1 result that added up to 4. I rolled it after I rolled my initial roll. It was also in my initial post with the roll. ^^

(AND HERE IS THE INTRODUCTIONNNNNNNN. I won't resolve the effect of my roll until we got it all padded out.)

Everything about this situation felt like a trap. The cold call; promise to pay big money for a rim job. Everything about this situation seemed much too good to be true, after all, no one just cold called one of the most vicious mercs in the rim without good reason. These people usually sat in one of two camps; people who wanted him dead or people who just wanted to test him.

In hutt space? One usually started off as the former, then the latter. Always, in that order.

Tanson's thermal vision picked up nothing as he entered the abandoned factory. There was no recent signs of life in here, his goggles told him that much. Nothing down here was warm so the Rodian switched to night vision. As far as traps went this was a pretty lame set up, the Rodian started counting the seconds before armed thugs charged in from every direction, wanting the head of Tobin Stryder, the defiler of Hutts. It had become a regular occurrence since he started using that name to seek his prey in stubborn defence of everyone else and judging by this setup, he had started to really get under someone's skin.

Unexpectedly, on the count of 14 all the lights turned on and the machinery whirled into life, the spot lights immediately blinded the Rodian's sensitive eyes

"Son of a RANCOR"

the Rodian drew his Nova as he tore the goggles from his face, blinking frantically as he pushed the spots from his vision, blindly he stumbled onto a conveyer belt and was pulled deeper into the chamber, only rolling away onto a platform when he had recovered most of his vision.

Then he saw it. The dome droid, just spitting distance. Had it always been there? Suddenly it made sense. There was no thermals because the assassin was a droid! The Rodian cursed, though it had seemed just as surprised as he was! Still, Tanson had the advantage, even as he rolled onto his feet he already had his blaster trained on it, still blinking.

"Really? A droid? This is new, 10 of 10 for creativity; now I'm just waiting for a bunch of BONK droids with musical instruments and the set up is complete; because I already see one percussionist."

The Rodian tilted his head at the contraption; he struggled to think exactly what this droid could do but it seemed foolish to think otherwise.

"Look, I have nothing against you; so lets get this over with a little game, right? We will both show each other what we got at the same time, one of us becomes nonoperational and that will be that. Fair play?"

The Rodian was fast, in the blink of an eye he hoisted the capsule from his holster and knocked it back before he chuckled, now that Tanson had properly recovered his vision; he was ready.

"And with that, may the best man...."

The Rodian flicked the capsule with a thumb. and drew his Lancer in a flurry of activity, his first blaster bolt flew before the capsule hit the apex of it's flight.

"or whatever the **** you were, win."

AP grenade is actually 13 damage - 6 from cortosis armour = 7. 15 from the viper - 6 due to cortosis armour = 9. For 16 damage overall which is @SavageBob s wounds exactly but not over it.

I thought the plan wasn't to have the grenade do its base damage, but rather its blast damage? The Triumphs called for 2 to remove the grenade from play, one to cause it to do blast damage to Pango. Or so I thought. It's blast damage is much lower than its base damage. Again, I'll wait on @Nightone to adjudicate.

Hmmm, you know what I just had a thought. What about if I used the Crane for the Triumph and use that to move you to long; and deal 3 points of unsoakable damage? Seems the right balance of luck and counter ability, and I kinda already done what I wanted and disabled the weapon that could one hit me.

My initial thought had been to end this in one turn, wild west style, but I've disabled the most threatening weapon you have and I can be quite satisfied with that. Just once you get to the level of 3 T's, that's usually encounter ending stuff right there. This way we get to see what the best of each other can do; I can be quite satisfied with that. ^___^

3 hours ago, LordBritish said:

Hmmm, you know what I just had a thought. What about if I used the Crane for the Triumph and use that to move you to long; and deal 3 points of unsoakable damage? Seems the right balance of luck and counter ability, and I kinda already done what I wanted and disabled the weapon that could one hit me.

My initial thought had been to end this in one turn, wild west style, but I've disabled the most threatening weapon you have and I can be quite satisfied with that. Just once you get to the level of 3 T's, that's usually encounter ending stuff right there. This way we get to see what the best of each other can do; I can be quite satisfied with that. ^___^

Well, I don't blame you for trying to one-shot me! I'm happy to wait for Nightone's ruling (but I'm still not sure if you're trying to deal full grenade damage or blast damage). And the crane is only 1 Triumph, so what are the other 2 for?

Ok two triumphs for the destruction of the Armor Piercing Grenate - are legit (Pango switched the thermal out several rounds before so ther is no TD)

With the Third triumph you can only activate the BLAST quality of the Weapon. that is 4 Damage before soak, while the balst may use the pierce 3 quality it doesn't matter since PANGO has a Cortosis weave.
since Tanson didn't throw the grenade the successe are irrelevant for the Blast damage (only for the guns damage)

damage is thereby:

Nova Viper 15 - 6 = 9
Armor Piercing Grenade Blast = 4 - 6 = 0

Total Damage to Pango = 9

with that it should be Pangos turn.

Edited by Nightone

@Nightone I'm not sure who's supposed to be GMing each match, but I'm gonna say that's a bad call. An explosion from inside a chassis should ignore soak altogether. This is a case of giving something for a Triumph instead of a "haha gotcha". Also it's completely outside the standard RAW options and thus falls under GM Fiat, so the ruling shouldnt be a lawyered result.

Edited by awayputurwpn

Well, he is getting 1) the destruction of one of Pango's weapons, and 2) a second attack for free.

ETA: Oh, wait; I see what you're saying: The blast shouldn't be reduced by Soak or Cortosis, so the blast from the grenade should do 4 more points, for a total fo 13. I'm OK with that.

Edited by SavageBob

PNGO-LIN dampens his acoustic interpreters in the din of the Geonosian factory. This place makes one of Guapa's parties seem downright tranquil! Pango zips around various conveyor belts looking for his opponent. It had been awhile since his last match, and Guapa had actually gotten impatient, having the Sullustan girl Turee Yuun convert the demolitionmech into a cleaning droid for a time. After all that mopping, Pango's self-preservation matrix was on overdrive. Had he lost his fighting touch? Would he be able to…

Wait! There was the opponent: A Rodian merc! Pango activated the new dodge routines Turee had added to his programming, but it was no use, the Rodian was drinking some blue liquid and whipping out a big gun. BAM! Pango feels the hit from the Rodian's weapon and spins a full 360 on his treads. But even worse, he realizes something's not right: When Turee removed the cleaning equipment from under the droid's blast-proof dome, she must have forgotten to fasten the grenade safety! Pango struggles to fix it internally, but it's too late: BOOM! One of the armor-piercing grenades goes off under the dome. And Pango's pain receptors feel it.

Turee had told Pango about something called "luck," and this Rodian seemed to have it in spades. The droid retracts another one of his armor-piercing grenades and aims it at the opponent. The voice of Guapa echoing through his head, he lets the grenade fly.

One maneuver to draw another armor-piercing grenade, and a second to aim it (for 2 Strain). Strong Arm to throw at Medium range. Flipping that DP, as well! Here goes nothing:

Ranged (light) + DP + True Aim : 5eP+1eB+2eD 4 successes, 1 advantage, 1 Triumph
p-s.png p-tr.png p-s.png p-s-a.png p-a-a.png b--.png d-th.png d-th.png

Looks like 17 damage, -4 Soak = 13 damage. I'll use the Triumph to activate the crane for more damage, just in case!

Well, I'm done for. Congrats! I will check my sig ability in a couple of mins (still waking up) to see if there is anything that can do.

Edit: Well, even if I brought the whole thing out it can only extend to a willing ally. Heh, turned out my mercy was my undoing after all. XD Congratulations!

Edited by LordBritish

*TING*

The Rodian's prediction had come true in part; this gunfight would be over before the vial hit the ground, something that the Rodian observed with a dim amusement.

*TINg*

Only this time it was him. Tanson had seen it happen so clearly; he fired and shot just as the droid opened his hatch went for his grenade, he saw it explode! That for most opponents would have been a telling blow.

*TIng*

Yet in the moment Tanson had lost sight of the dome within the explosion and momentarily let his guard falter, the Rodian only saw the charge fly out when it was too late. The Rodian never defended, only attacked in recent days and thus was unprepared to dodge the shaped charge.

*Ting*

Tanson wasn't sure where it hit him precisely, he only knew the thing had hit him and blew clean through his laminate armour. The trick that worked so well on the Jedi and the other hunters just didn't work on those that carried many weapons like he.

*ting*

The force had flung him into the path of an on coming crane that flung him hard, smashing him against the side of the container, there he hung in the indentation, unable to fall as he bled down the console. His pistols clattered away somewhere in the distance. He had been defeated utterly and decisively.

*ting*

The Rodian let a soft rasp out of his throat as with the last of his strength he drew up his cybernetic arm, bashed and torn from the landing and pointed at that domed droid. He held the point up the droid as he squinted down his cracked visor, the infamous outlaw was little over 17 under his mask which made the situation with the boyish man all the more unnerving.

"Well... Wha' ya know, fa a cleanin' bot..."

*ting*

The Rodian made a firing gesture and blew the air out of his snout with a raspy rattle, before he chuckled his last.

"ya, pretty good."

With that, the rattling of the container finally stopped. Followed shortly by a thud.

Edited by LordBritish

I was actually looking at the other possible moves you could have made. Even if you had exploded a grenade with a higher Blast rating inside me, the highest option was the Heavy Frag Grenade, which would have put me at WT rather than over it, so I would have gotten one chance to counter attack. If you'd gone with the crane technique, I wouldn't have been able to use True Aim, but it still probably would have ended up badly for you due to your relatively low WT and Soak (for this tournament, anyway). In other words, I think if you had rolled one more Success on your first attack, you would have won! It was certainly a nail biter. Nice game!

Edited by SavageBob
8 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

I was actually looking at the other possible moves you could have made. Even if you had exploded a grenade with a higher Blast rating inside me, the highest option was the Heavy Frag Grenade, which would have put me at WT rather than over it, so I would have gotten one chance to counter attack. If you'd gone with the crane technique, I wouldn't have been able to use True Aim, but it still probably would have ended up badly for you due to your relatively low WT and Soak (for this tournament, anyway). In other words, I think if you had rolled one more Success on your first attack, you would have won! It was certainly a nail biter. Nice game!

In all honesty; there was probably much more I could have done that I just hadn't really thought to apply.

The thermal det was the most obvious; if you had still had that it would have been over in an instant. Given it's a powerful if unstable weapon narrative it makes sense.

Instead of blowing up the grenade, I could have used the crane to move you out to long; then immobilised with with the double T (As a circumstantial effect) or made the terrain difficult (machinary). Therefore keeping you trapped for a turn beyond your range while I set up a second volley. Would have made sense considering the manufacturing environment.

Or did something that made hitting Tanson very inconvenient. Blowing all the lights out, upgrading my check up to 3 times to be hit (once for each T spent). The possibilities were endless.

The game kinda breaks down the moment it becomes possible to trigger two amazing checks per encounter; probably not a problem in a long session, but a much bigger threat in a 1v1 format.

I just don't have any will for competitive play and therefore stuck with my original plan; even though I kinda knew after I realised the thermal det wasn't in play that it would most probably be my demise since nothing else had the capacity to DPS the damage I needed, nor would destroying any of your weapons reduce your DPS by a meaningful amount. It's probably for the best this way anyway. XD

Yeah, immobilizing me would have been nasty if the GM allowed it—basically a guaranteed win for you unless I miraculously passed a Mechanics check (with 1 Intellect and no tools) to heal some wounds! Upgrading my attack to 2 Reds and 1 Purple might have been worthwhile, but also would have been a gamble for you. Or you could have tried to Crit with +20 (plus any Vicious you have), but that, too, would have been a gamble.

I think you should have an exhibition match against our Wookiee martial artist friend anyway. I'd love to see what happens when bottomless Triumphs go up against Supreme Precision Strikes!

Edited by SavageBob
On 3.3.2018 at 4:29 AM, awayputurwpn said:

@Nightone I'm not sure who's supposed to be GMing each match, but I'm gonna say that's a bad call. An explosion from inside a chassis should ignore soak altogether. This is a case of giving something for a Triumph instead of a "haha gotcha". Also it's completely outside the standard RAW options and thus falls under GM Fiat, so the ruling shouldnt be a lawyered result.

While I can see where your pain with my ruling is I just want to clarify why I did rule like this:

1st of: I was asked for it ^^ so I clarified the outcome of the actions announced (2 T for destroying, 1 T for also using blast)

2nd well it is just RAW (that is the common base every GM has to rule from in such an open PvP event) the "inside chassis" is just Fluff otherwise the weapons would be protected as they have to been seen (this was clarified by Sam in the answers from devs section, in his example he declared that you can't destroy or damage something by Triumph or sunder (by example in a packpack) which than again would be unfair for everyone else since nobody else can use theire Body to hide something from destruction.

At the same time if Pango would get this advantage the grenades wouldn't account for "grab in one manneuver" since therefore they would need to be in an open spot on the belt (something the droid type of Pango couldn't wear which would put him in a disadvantage - that is where the fluff allows us to help the situation: while he can't have anything on a belt (due to his bodyform) he has special ammo containments in his chassis, the Rules will not be affected by that (otherwise we would need to retcon nearly every battle of Pango since he always would need to maneuvers to even draw a grenade...)

RAW say 2 triumphs while dealing damge will destroy one Object the hitted person wields - so far no problem here I guess.
Furthermore: A grenade can be activate it's Blast quality by using 3 advantages/ 1 Triumph if the target is not hit, or by the 3 despair by the enemy.
here we have a special case: tanson wants to let the grenade explode TO DEAL further damage, since a grenade has for this case the Blast rules, they can be used with no problem, 1 Triumph is all you need to activate one weapons quality (even on an enemys weapon like this time) and raw for Blast is damage before Soak (also rereadable in the new errata/ FAQ and the devs answered question thread)

so no need to reinvent the wheel a make a special case to punish the other player for using Fluff to flesh out his character.

So ether all is raw that the grenade can be destroyed and does blast damage per rules while "ignoring" the Fluff "in chassis" part,

or

all is raw without ignoring the Fluff "in chassis" part, but then the grenades can't be targed, and the blast can't be activated therefore... which would put us back to week one.

of course we could also argue that if the player chooses such a bodyform he has to life with any penalitys that would come with it, but that is something we should have to clarify before the tournament would have even started, so it shouldn't be point of any controversion at this point (semi finals).

To make fair ruling durring a PvP contest with the rules set of a game not setup for PvP-Balance is always a bit harder and it is the reason why I try to stick to RAW as much as possible, while of course sometimes the narrative does provide for good reasons why something should be possible even if it is not 100% covered with the rules, the character Fluff shouldn't interfere with the games ground mechanics IMO.

That all said: in a battle PCs vs. NPCs I would always try to rule in favor of the player, there the 3 triumphs would properbly just stop the fight against the BBE Droide by blowing up the whole ammunition (because if the one grenade explodes right next to 6 others within the chassis... BIG BOOM, but that would be "Rule of Cool" and not meachanics RAW - which are most essential for any kind of PvP to have any balance.

3rd: this is all, by now, irrelevant since the players agreed to an outcome to the situation, which in my oppinion is the best way to handle things in this tournament, I or any GM should only interfere if the players don't agree or don't know how to handle a situation or if something goes terrible wrong (had this one or two times durring the tournament)

Ok that was much more than I thought I would write down when I started :blink:

Tanson goes out with a boom!

Pango erodes his way to victory!

sorry but welcome to Hades @LordBritish

Glory to the one on his way to Olympus @SavageBob our second finalist

9 hours ago, SavageBob said:

Yeah, immobilizing me would have been nasty if the GM allowed it—basically a guaranteed win for you unless I miraculously passed a Mechanics check (with 1 Intellect and no tools) to heal some wounds! Upgrading my attack to 2 Reds and 1 Purple might have been worthwhile, but also would have been a gamble for you. Or you could have tried to Crit with +20 (plus any Vicious you have), but that, too, would have been a gamble.

I think you should have an exhibition match against our Wookiee martial artist friend anyway. I'd love to see what happens when bottomless Triumphs go up against Supreme Precision Strikes!

Aye, but it was still a better gamble then what I actually did. That possibility gave me a chance of survival no matter how slim; the path I took basically meant I had to rely on a complete misfire and; in my experience that almost never works.

Well thats interesting. My experience with Bulk is that he basically crushed Tanson without paying the slightest mind to the blasters, but then that was before I could really manipulate the dice flow with signature ability. Sounds a fun one.