Star Wars: Jedi Quest OOC thread

By Tramp Graphics, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

On 8/19/2017 at 1:53 PM, Tramp Graphics said:

Yep. The new canon has red blades exclusive to Dark Siders, specifically, being created by "bleeding" the crystal. As such all Dark Siders have red blades now, and only Dark Siders can have red blades.

As for the beard on the CG model, it's not '80s stubble. It's just going grey , just like my real beard. I was a lot younger in that photo. My beard has gone almost completely grey since then, particularly along the "chops". The length of the beard is the same.

As for the FFG avatar. I had a hard time finding a picture that matched Korath (me), this was the closest I could find.

Technically your lightsaber crystal only had to previously belong to a dark sider, and you not having redeemed it to be white. Personally I think that the red suits Korath's verbally abusive personality, but that's just me and I am sure that you disagree NOW because of the change to cannon about this.

30 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Technically your lightsaber crystal only had to previously belong to a dark sider, and you not having redeemed it to be white. Personally I think that the red suits Korath's verbally abusive personality, but that's just me and I am sure that you disagree NOW because of the change to cannon about this.

Well, remember that the only reason why I had a red blade at the time is because I couldn't properly disassemble the Force Action saber in order to either swap out the blade with one from the Anakin saber, or die the blade a different color, like I had done with my first one (the original was red-purple). I never wanted a scarlet blade. I was stuck with one because the base hilt I wanted had a red blade and I couldn't change it.

With the advent of the "new canon" establishing red as a exclusive to Dark Side users and Sith, this required a complete redesign of my saber, including the hilt since, as already stated, you can't disassemble the Force Action lightsabers to swap parts.

Also, I wouldn't want a white blade either.

Semi releated... with 1 cannon exception, the darksaber, every onscreen lightsaber has had a white ore near white core, which is framed by another color, did you purposefully break that pattern or was it a limitation of the model

10 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Well, remember that the only reason why I had a red blade at the time is because I couldn't properly disassemble the Force Action saber in order to either swap out the blade with one from the Anakin saber, or die the blade a different color, like I had done with my first one (the original was red-purple). I never wanted a scarlet blade. I was stuck with one because the base hilt I wanted had a red blade and I couldn't change it.

With the advent of the "new canon" establishing red as a exclusive to Dark Side users and Sith, this required a complete redesign of my saber, including the hilt since, as already stated, you can't disassemble the Force Action lightsabers to swap parts.

Also, I wouldn't want a white blade either.

6 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Semi releated... with 1 cannon exception, the darksaber, every onscreen lightsaber has had a white ore near white core, which is framed by another color, did you purposefully break that pattern or was it a limitation of the model

The red lightsaber in the old photo also didn't have a white core, how did Korath change the standard saber so it had a dimmer red core? Are they supposed to represent training sabers?

One style looks like a Lightsaber, the other style looks like glowing plastic.

36cg9uIJo5FSgI7Bg54xXW.jpg

Edited by Mychal'el
16 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

It's deliberately done. The base texture for the 3D model has white cores. And, for the record, there are a number of shots in TFA where the cores of the lightsabers are not white at all, but are colored . This is due to the fact that, they actually used props that have blades that light up.

10 hours ago, Mychal'el said:

The red lightsaber in the old photo also didn't have a white core, how did Korath change the standard saber so it had a dimmer red core? Are they supposed to represent training sabers?

One style looks like a Lightsaber, the other style looks like glowing plastic.

36cg9uIJo5FSgI7Bg54xXW.jpg

No, they're not "training" settings. One thing I learned in Art school is that colored light does not really have a white core. The core of any beam of colored light is the brightest, most intense hue of that color . I have held to that for every version I have done of Korath's lightsaber, (and pretty much every lightsaber/energy beam I render or paint).

And, when I mentioned not wanting a "white blade" I wasn't referring only to the core of my blade. Having a pure white blade , like Asoka's does not interest me.

7 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

It's deliberately done. The base texture for the 3D model has white cores. And, for the record, there are a number of shots in TFA where the cores of the lightsabers are not white at all, but are colored . This is due to the fact that, they actually used props that have blades that light up.

No, they're not "training" settings. One thing I learned in Art school is that colored light does not really have a white core. The core of any beam of colored light is the brightest, most intense hue of that color . I have held to that for every version I have done of Korath's lightsaber, (and pretty much every lightsaber/energy beam I render or paint).

https://www.pcmag.com/feature/287832/top-10-worst-changes-made-to-star-wars/4

270336-7-lightsaber-lumination-gets-dull

Lightsaber Lumination Gets Dull

Digital restoration pro John D. Lowry took the 2004 box set into his hands, digitally restoring and visually enhancing the film. Unfortunately, the treatment left the lightsabers confused, as their coloration varied throughout the trilogy. In the early theatrical release, when Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader cross swords before Emperor Palpatine, their blades glowed a dense white with red and green tints. After the remastering, the intense vibrancy vanished and Vader’s saber appeared a girlish pink. Thankfully, Blu-ray alterations seem to have settled the color war once and for all.

You can do whatever you like obviously. I'm just trying to help. I didn't go to art school like you, but I do have an appreciation for aesthetics.

Edited by Mychal'el

As long as you're happy with how your lights aberration looks, that's the most important thing. It doesn't matter at all if I or mychal'el think that it looks like a plastic toy.

2 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

lights aber ration

gatsby.gif

Edited by Mychal'el
7 hours ago, Mychal'el said:

gatsby.gif

The auto mis-correct on my phone doesn't accept "lightsaber" as a correctly spelled word despite the numerous times I've clicked the check to say it was correct.

3 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

The auto mis-correct on my phone doesn't accept "lightsaber" as a correctly spelled word despite the numerous times I've clicked the check to say it was correct.

I sense a Jedi mind trick.

Well if you're not going to take credit for the masterful use of wordplay then I guess raised my glass to your phone for correctly applying the word of the day.

But in my experience there's no such thing as luck.

Edited by Mychal'el
21 hours ago, Mychal'el said:

You can do whatever you like obviously. I'm just trying to help. I didn't go to art school like you, but I do have an appreciation for aesthetics.

I do to, and I prefer colored cores. They're more accurate to how light actually works. The problem with the second photo isn't that the cores are colored. It's that the colors are muted . Instead, if they had been a bright , vibrant red and green, then they would have been much better.

However, that's neither here nor there, and has nothing to do with the game.

5 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

I do to, and I prefer colored cores. They're more accurate to how light actually works. The problem with the second photo isn't that the cores are colored. It's that the colors are muted . Instead, if they had been a bright , vibrant red and green, then they would have been much better.

Again what I think doesn't matter as long as you're happy, but I think that your cgi portrait of Korath has a light saber with muted colors (it doesn't look bright/vibrant to me)

Edited by EliasWindrider
10 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Star Wars has never been about being scientifically accurate.

If the next movie had silent space battles or "accurate" color lightsabers like that, you know fans would be less polite when expressing their feelings about the aberration.

You gave me feedback on my character, and now I'm just returning the favor . If you like it the way it is, and don't want to change it, then that is your right.

Character art has way more than nothing to do with the game.

Edited by Mychal'el

A couple things:

On 8/19/2017 at 0:47 PM, Mychal'el said:

Is there a rule about that somewhere?

No, there isn't. But for those that know of lightsabers in the universe, having a red one is basically like declaring, "Hey, I'm a bad guy!"

On 8/19/2017 at 0:53 PM, Tramp Graphics said:

Yep. The new canon has red blades exclusive to Dark Siders, specifically, being created by "bleeding" the crystal. As such all Dark Siders have red blades now, and only Dark Siders can have red blades.

This is not quite accurate. All jogans are fruit, but not all fruit are necessarily jogans.

Just because dark siders must force a connection with their kyber crystals, resulting in their characteristic red hue, does not necessarily mean that lightsaber crystals can't attain a red hue by other means.

But yeah, Star Wars being (at its heart) a binary good/evil universe, red is pretty much the color for bad guys' lightsabers.

30 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Indeed :)

How are things coming, @Princess Peekaboo and @Richardbuxton ?

Also, let's stick to the moratorium on character feedback, everyone. Feel free to discuss lightsabers or the Force, but please save the personal critiques (when solicited) for personal messages.

I got the Crafting rolls done. Not the exact outcome I wanted since 66 failed one appendage but basically everything else worked out.

Now I have the task of filling talents and actually coming up with a credible background. I want it both short but full of hooks. Initial thoughts are for there to be something lost, an artefact or Droid or perhaps a ship, which 66 has been searching for for decades.

His time in the rebellion will be a brief piece with at least one antagonist left unaccounted for. But will form the important connection to this lost thing.

17 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

Also, let's stick to the moratorium on character feedback, everyone. Feel free to discuss lightsabers or the Force, but please save the personal critiques (when solicited) for personal messages.

Sorry. I'll try to keep the urge under control.

'Feedback' is actually the name of one of my other characters.

A Droid Consular: Teacher /Performer. He's a professor at a university that moonlights as a club DJ.

1 hour ago, Mychal'el said:

Sorry. I'll try to keep the urge under control.

'Feedback' is actually the name of one of my other characters.

A Droid Consular: Teacher /Performer. He's a professor at a university that moonlights as a club DJ.

?

10 hours ago, Mychal'el said:

Cyborg actually, but nearly all machine like Grievous (minus the bronchitis (ain't nobody got time for that)). He needs to be able to use the Teacher force talents so I guess he can't be 100% droid.

Edited by Mychal'el
57 minutes ago, Mychal'el said:

Cyborg actually, but nearly all machine like Grievous (minus the bronchitis (ain't nobody got time for that)). He needs to be able to use the Teacher force talents so I guess he can't be 100% droid.

Why does he need to use force talents? there's plenty of awesome non force talents in the teacher tree.

4 hours ago, Mychal'el said:

I was wondering about the Consular career :)

I'm putting together an espionage droid for a 1 shot game that's a Counsular Teacher/Arbiter, without any force talents at all.

1 hour ago, Rakaydos said:

I'm putting together an espionage droid for a 1 shot game that's a Counsular Teacher/Arbiter, without any force talents at all.

I chose Teacher for these force talents:

swf35_teachertree.png

then it sounds like you're a Gank, not a droid.

1 hour ago, Rakaydos said:

then it sounds like you're a Gank, not a droid.

You read my CPU bro!