Metric system... please consider

By TimofKings, in Genesys

Hi,

Would you please consider putting metric measurements in the book. Perhaps in brackets after the Imperial numbers.

It's just a minor addition but you'll do the rest of the world a favor.

( if Monte Cook games can do this, I'm guessing FFG can do it too.)

Thanks in advance.

Tim

3 hours ago, TimofKings said:

Hi,

Would you please consider putting metric measurements in the book. Perhaps in brackets after the Imperial numbers.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

This is one of the headaches of a generic system.

In a sci-fi game, you basically HAVE to go metric or it just seems out of place. Even most American sci-fi novels use metric.

On the other hand, in a fantasy game, talking about kilometers and kilograms just sounds ridiculous and breaks immersion.

Looking forward to see how they'll solve it...

1 hour ago, lumia2 said:

On the other hand, in a fantasy game, talking about kilometers and kilograms just sounds ridiculous and breaks immersion.

You measure spell components in drams and your ale in hogsheads?!? Impressive!

I too would be fond of metric measurements, but I realize that might not fly.

I'm fine with that. I'm from the USA, but after 25 years of The Hero System, which uses exclusively metric, I've managed to adapt. It might be good for some of us to be forced into a bit of metric conversion.

Would there be measurements at all? Are there measurements in the Star Wars books I'm not remembering? I'd assume that size and distance in Genesys would be based around the approximations of Silhouette and Range Bands rather than specific measures.

With that said, one off the reasons that US Customary, British Imperial, and numerous other measurement and monetary counting systems were not base ten until recent metrication efforts is that 12 is a superior highly composite number , meaning it has a bunch of factors. Specifically, you can cut twelve into halves, quarters, thirds, and sixths evenly---without remainder from division. This feature makes hand calculations easier if you don't have access to some sort of computer or calculator. Same is true of 60, 120, and 360, which is why you also see those numbers as a base for all sorts of counting systems (Babylonian arithmetic, seconds, hours, the long hundred , degrees in a circle etc.).

Edited by sfRattan
50 minutes ago, sfRattan said:

Would there be measurements at all? Are there measurements in the Star Wars books I'm not remembering? I'd assume that size and distance in Genesys would be based around the approximations of Silhouette and Range Bands rather than specific measures.

With that said, one off the reasons that US Customary, British Imperial, and numerous other measurement and monetary counting systems were not base ten until recent metrication efforts is that 12 is a superior highly composite number , meaning it has a bunch of factors. Specifically, you can cut twelve into halves, quarters, thirds, and sixths evenly---without remainder from division. This feature makes hand calculations easier if you don't have access to some sort of computer or calculator. Same is true of 60, 120, and 360, which is why you also see those numbers as a base for all sorts of counting systems (Babylonian arithmetic, seconds, hours, the long hundred , degrees in a circle etc.).

At last I have the answer to why the American Imperial measurement system is superior to Metric. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Split Light said:

I'm fine with that. I'm from the USA, but after 25 years of The Hero System, which uses exclusively metric, I've managed to adapt. It might be good for some of us to be forced into a bit of metric conversion.

What, dragged kicking and screaming to the 20th century when it comes to metrics? ;)

Also, I seem to recall my sourcebooks are using metric measurements? I don't have them hand but I recall metric tonnes for cargo, no?

7 hours ago, themensch said:

You measure spell components in drams and your ale in hogsheads?!? Impressive!

I too would be fond of metric measurements, but I realize that might not fly.

In the case of ale (or mead) my barbarian measures in literall hogsheads. :)

4 hours ago, Endersai said:

What, dragged kicking and screaming to the 20th century when it comes to metrics? ;)

You mean dragged down to the 18th Century? That's when the metric system first saw the light of day during the French Revolution. Sorry but being a fan of history, I can't say anything polite about the metric system. (So I'll refrain).

As an American, while I am familiar with both, I find the Americanized Imperial system to be relate-able and relevant to natural life, while metric is only useful when discussing science? (Macromeasurements and micromeasurements).

And the two big measurements that are relevant to RPG's are the Yard and Mile, both of which are readily convertible to metric.

Where it says "yard" just think "meter." Sure there's a couple of inches difference, but for an RPG it's not a significant difference.

And where is says mile, remember that means 1.5 Kilometers.

That should cover you.

Erm, ok, I mean it's not like the Americani s ed Imperial system actually makes sense; we've all seen the meme about the "arbitrary [redacted] rollercoaster". It may be more familiar, but it's also antiquated exceptionalism (like the dialect, which is just... so profoundly wrong).

Being familiar with both removes the trouble of conversion. I'm just not sure I even remember the SW books being in imperial measurements.

SW is a metric setting so the books have been in metric.

What measurements are even going to show up in a system with abstract range bands?

6 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

What measurements are even going to show up in a system with abstract range bands?

How big is that building? How long is the boat? What does that pistol weigh?

It's entirely possible they'll come up with something different in this system.

13 minutes ago, themensch said:

How big is that building? How long is the boat? What does that pistol weigh?

It's entirely possible they'll come up with something different in this system.

Silhouette 4, Silhouette 3, and Encumbrance 2. At least that's how the Star Wars system seems to measure. They almost never put in concrete measurements. I actually wish FFG would give a few more real numbers, as just silhouette and encumbrance is a bit more abstract then I prefer. Hopefully Genesys will give us a few more real numbers.

The only real world units that I can think of in the SW RPG books are the altitude ceilings for vehicles - those are in meters and kilometers. Even the descriptions of vehicles tend not to give measurements.

10 minutes ago, Split Light said:

Silhouette 4, Silhouette 3, and Encumbrance 2. At least that's how the Star Wars system seems to measure. They almost never put in concrete measurements. I actually wish FFG would give a few more real numbers, as just silhouette and encumbrance is a bit more abstract then I prefer. Hopefully Genesys will give us a few more real numbers.

Why though? The GM can just make up a number that seems appropriate. Even more, it doesn't need to be consistent. An encumbrance 2 item can weigh 20kg, and an encumbrance 5 item can weigh 5kg. Its still an abstraction of weight/size/awkwardness to carry. Nothing about this system needs to work at so low a level as to exactly how much weight/distance/mass any one thing is.

I would think it's better to stick with abstract and give some appx examples like the range bands. Then let tables decide if they like Imperial, Metric, or Quatloos for the system of weights and measures....

On 2017-07-06 at 6:16 AM, TimofKings said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Good News! The Star Wars system that begat Genesys (NarDS) uses A vague encumbrance and silhouette scaling. No tacky imperial units of measure.

On 2017-7-6 at 8:44 PM, sfRattan said:

One of the reasons base 12 worked was because that counting using your knuckles was superior to using your fingers, as you could easily count to 144 with two hands

or just go Metric whole book :D

I prefer metric but understand the need for other measurements depending on setting. I think the scarcity of measurements in Star Wars could easily accommodate both measurements in each instance where they are given!

Honestly I use both for the application where it works best for me. I like inches and feet for carpentry and woodworking. I use meters at the range. Miles and Kilometers are a big, meh, as far as I'm concerned, because they aren't anything on a personally applicable level. I use Farenheit, just cause that's what I learned way back when and I would just be converting it in my head from Celsius forever, so I don't see the point there. Liters are close enough to a quart I don't see the point and I like gallons. I use cups, table and teaspoons cooking. Somehow I manage all that without bursting into flames....

On July 14, 2017 at 5:31 PM, 2P51 said:

I use Farenheit, just cause that's what I learned way back when and I would just be converting it in my head from Celsius forever, so I don't see the point there.

Actually, this one's the easiest. In Canada we switched to metric when I was in high school, and it wasn't long before we all forgot about how hot it was at 85, and instead we knew how hot it was at 30. I ended up moving to the US and back several times since then, and the transition takes about a week. I think it's because weather is in your face, it's a constant point of discussion, so you can't help but become immersed in "temperature language".

I didn't say it wasn't easy, I just said it impacts zilch in my personal life so I see no benefit. I get it why math and lab nerds may think it's cosmically superior. A guy walking down the street though whether you say 45 or 113, it's F-ing hot and the number doesn't really matter......

On 7.7.2017 at 4:12 AM, Mark Caliber said:

You mean dragged down to the 18th Century? That's when the metric system first saw the light of day during the French Revolution. Sorry but being a fan of history, I can't say anything polite about the metric system. (So I'll refrain).

As an American, while I am familiar with both, I find the Americanized Imperial system to be relate-able and relevant to natural life, while metric is only useful when discussing science? (Macromeasurements and micromeasurements).

And the two big measurements that are relevant to RPG's are the Yard and Mile, both of which are readily convertible to metric.

Where it says "yard" just think "meter." Sure there's a couple of inches difference, but for an RPG it's not a significant difference.

And where is says mile, remember that means 1.5 Kilometers.

That should cover you.

Ahhh, of course 18th century. Now with the metric system we have a system that is scientifically backed (no, we don't need a "role-model" kg anymore and it is independent of gravity, pressure or material). Now what about the American or Imperial? Not so easy.

And there is the "relevance" to natural life. You don't calculate a lot in your natural life, do you? In metric, when I pour 1t of sand on an area of 2 by 2.5m (and distribute it evenly) that is 1 000 000 g on 50 000cm-square (how do I type "to the power of again?) or 20g/cm-square. Please make the same calculation in your head with 1 imperial ton on 2 * 2.5 yards and give me the result in pounds per inch. While you're at it: if I pour 10 000 liters of water into said container the water will be 20cm deep. How deep in inch will be the water when I pour 1000 gallons into a 2 by 2.5 yard container? In your head please and accurate. Thank you. ;)

Indeed that covers it quite nicely. As mentioned before it is supposed to be generic (explicitly including Steampunk and SciFi) so it would have to be metric of course.

Actually, imho the market is what counts. If they expect to sell 50% plus in the US then they should use American. If they sell >50% in Europe and the rest of the world (not sure what Canada uses) then metric makes more sense.

Edited by Spraug