Imperial Census (Spoilers for Kyotei Castle)

By Tonbo Karasu, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

10 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

Actually if its not his parents it would likely be Motso's Younger brother Toju who was Daimyo. In old lore he was noted to be one of the most powerful Kitsu Shuganja of his lifetime and was head of the Kitsu Soden Senzo school as well as Daimyo of the family.

https://l5r.fandom.com/wiki/Kitsu_Toju

Also, IIRC, Motso had no connection with the Kami (maybe he was forsaken, even?), which is way he took an unusual career for a Kitsu. It would make much sense for both the Kitsu and Agasha daimyo to be shugenja. It could go either way for the Seppun.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:33 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

Now, I'm curious. Why do you hope that one or more of them isn't a shugenja? All three of those families have strong shugenja bloodlines, although Seppun are equally famous for their bushi. However, in the most recent story, Kachiko and Satoshi were sending for the Seppun daimyo to do the cleansing and religious duties. This implies that they're a shugenja. The Kitsu and Agasha already have prominent members who are non-shugenja as well.

Because... shugenja are suppose to be few. And I know it is a fantasy, and I know that all the family have shugenja school and so on. But It will be very unique to have a courtier as a daimyo for one of those family. It could put some more politics or mistery around a story.

14 hours ago, Victarion13 said:

Because... shugenja are suppose to be few. And I know it is a fantasy, and I know that all the family have shugenja school and so on. But It will be very unique to have a courtier as a daimyo for one of those family. It could put some more politics or mistery around a story.

Yeah, that's fair.

Updated for the new fiction.

Kitsune Gohei - there's a name to conjure horrors with.

34 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Updated for the new fiction.

Kitsune Gohei - there's a name to conjure horrors with.

I wonder if it will be of the walking variety.

Updated for Visions of the Future and the Deer Clan's family name.

I finally got hold of Across the Burning Sands on Friday, so I have updated the census from that novella. Let me know if I've missed anyone.

I have put in the various attendees at last year's Winter Court, as per Winter's Embrace and The Scroll or The Blade.

I finally got Courts of Stone today, once it arrived in the UK.

Not many new characters for here, although there's a bunch of background ones on the spreadsheet. There are 3 Fortunes added, though.

I have updated the OP with the information from the new fiction.

I also put in a new sheet in the Google workbook, assessing 'story presence'. It's based on how frequently people are present or mentioned in the fiction, compared to how many named characters there are. Surprising no-one, the Imperials are at the top of this ratio. The three clans after that are Unicorn, Lion and Scorpion. This is probably because of the characters in those Clans that are attached to the Imperial Court, and thus appear in fiction that isn't focussed on 'their' Clan.

I got my Lion pack today, which means that I've something very important to tell you.

The Daimyo of the Kitsu is Kitsu Takeko, a young woman who's never been heard of before. Now, I just need the Agasha and the Seppun to complete the list of Great Clan family Daimyo.

Just in case anyone who is following this thread cares, I am finishing it as it is, but starting something new here .