The Evening Lamp IC

By Blackbird888, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

The child is uninterested in any attempts to lighten the mood, and remains suspicious. They snort and say something quickly in a language you don't recognize to the creature, patting it on the head--a chastise maybe? Either way, the creature is unaffected and does relax, much to the apparent consternation of the child.

"You outlanders do not belong here," the child says. Basic is obviously not their first language, but they seem relatively fluent, though their accent and immature voice doesn't help clear up if they are a boy or girl. "This is sacred ground. You should leave."

However, despite their seeming dismissal of you, the child edges ever closer to the fusion lantern and sits.

Edited by Blackbird888

With the appearance of the child, Kai tries to relax, but cannot. This fledgling is more than it seems. Maintaining his vigil, he watches the scene as it unfolds below, four eyes adjusting to his normal, unenhanced vision.

59 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

"You outlanders do not belong here," the child says. Basic is obviously not their first language, but they seem relatively fluent, though their accent and immature voice doesn't help clear up if they are a boy or girl. "This is sacred ground. You should leave."

However, despite their seeming dismissal of you, the child edges ever closer to the fusion lantern and sits.

Kamoa tilts his head at this tone from the child, and he finds it admirable. "I understand, you protect this place I take it?" He asks the child, his tone curious and relaxed. "I can appreciate the desire to protect things important to you, but we were sent by a friend to find this place, though he didn't say why." Kamoa was reasonably certain they had just found the reason why, and it had nothing to do with the place, but he kept that to himself. He looks around, and then back at the child. "Tell me something if you can. Why is this place sacred?"

"We're sorry, we didn't mean to trespass," Takane said. She gave a slight bow, in the traditional fashion, to the child. While many people thought of children as lesser, talking down to them, even when she was younger Grandfather had never treated her as such. So she extended that same courtesy now that she was older.

"A friend of my Grandfather's asked us to meet him here, and we were waiting to find him."

Edited by Absol197

Bralane can't help but feel the dirty, smelly slums she grew up in would offer a better place for these children to call home than the desolate cold forest they are now in. She switches her staff to her right hand, holding it upright as more a walking stick than a weapon; no need to cause fear to those who have done no ill in life.

Watching the inhabitants of this ruined shrine, Bralane murmurs to herself about the sudden oddity of life she finds herself in. Not more than three standard months ago she would be defending younglings such as these from the depredations of street gangs, slavers, and worse that preyed on the weak in the ghettos. Yet here, in the middle of pristine wilderness, her skills may yet be called on again.

Chadrik continued to play with the canine creature as the others interacted with the child. He stretched out with his feelings to sense the emotional state of the child but was repulsed by the sadness of the place. He dared not penetrate it to reach the child. He was as yet unsure of himself.

His eyes drifted to the huge, intriguing tree and he could barely see Kestral Kai perched in the branches. He smiled, wondering what the child would think if the giant bird-man jumped down from the height.

"Teacher Saah said this place is a remembrance," the child said after some time, still sounding cautious. "That doesn't stop the looters from picking it clean, though. As long as you're not here to disturb the dead, I guess it doesn't matter what you do." There is a momentary pause. "You said you're meeting somebody? Didn't they tell you that there are three temples?" the child asks, sounding amused, "Did you just pick one at random, or are you just ignorant outlanders?"

5 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

"Teacher Saah said this place is a remembrance," the child said after some time, still sounding cautious. "That doesn't stop the looters from picking it clean, though. As long as you're not here to disturb the dead, I guess it doesn't matter what you do." There is a momentary pause. "You said you're meeting somebody? Didn't they tell you that there are three temples?" the child asks, sounding amused, "Did you just pick one at random, or are you just ignorant outlanders?"

Zik leans back on his elbows and laughs uproariously. "You're an observant one, aren't you? My people say that even if the guest is big and the host is small, the host is still in charge. We mean no harm to the dead who reside here, nor to the ruins." Zik slowly leans forward again, a twinkle in his eye. "But my people also say that if something happens to a visitor in one's house, the house owner must take responsibility. Can you point us toward this Teacher Saah? And how far are these two other temples?"

For all the child's caution, it's impossible to miss the flicker of sadness on their face, as they avert their eyes; even the animal seems saddened.

"Aside from this place, there are the other two temples," the child explains, "at least there were , until about a week ago. I don't know who it was, but we were attacked and they burned the Temple of the Turning Sea. Teacher Saah helped us escape. I came here because I know nobody really knows about it--I'm surprised you found it at all. We're going to head for the last temple."

"Attacked?" Chadrik blurted out. At once he bottled himself and his worry up. He had come to realize that Zik was the one with words so he had decided to let Zik handle this. However, since the child looked at him he decided to ask something as well.

"I assume the 'we' is you and this bud right here," he playfully pushed the canine around. "Who were the sleemos who attacked you?"

Kamoa smirks to himself at the child's comment about being ignorant outlanders. He keeps quiet for now, letting the others ask questions. Idly, he picks up a stick, makes a noise with his mouth at the canine, and tosses it a few feet away, still well within view of everyone. His entire demeanor has become one of relaxed patience, simply taking in the situation, his own thoughts clear at this point.

Hoo-hoo Hoo-hoooooo Kai coos, softly, announcing his presence prior to fluttering down from his perch. Taking care not to land too closely to the child or the animal, he speaks:

Do not be alarmed. Ignorant outlanders we may be, but I believe we have been sent here to help. This is the old shrine, yes? Then this is our destination, and perhaps you are the purpose? Too-wit too-hoo.

With Chadrik's outburst and Kai's appearance, Zik fixes a warm gaze on the child to make sure the little one recognizes their friendly intentions. "My feathered friend there is Mr. Kai. Over there is Mr. Chadrik. It's Mr. Kamoa whom your companion there has really taken a liking to. And my other friends here are Ms. Takane and Ms. Bralane. We still don't know your name, little one, but you can tell us when you're ready." Zik pulls one of his ration packs and takes a bite, then points to the food Kamoa earlier offered the child. "But I believe Mr. Kai is right. You should eat up, my little friend. You'll need your strength if you're to take us to last temple."

Edited by SavageBob

The child snorts. "Who said I was taking you anywhere? Anyway, I suppose you've been kind of enough--I'm Shisa, priestess-in-training of the Turning Sea, and this is Phoon," she says, summoning the canine with a silent gesture. It approaches and sits beside her.

Just then, however, Phoon stiffens, slipping into an aggressive stance, its hackles raising, and it growls.

Somebody make an average Vigilance check. I setback due to nighttime, plus whatever fear modifiers you may have.

It's startling to see the shift: one second Shisa seems to be lightened up, and the next she's cautiously scanning the area. Phoon seems to have noticed something in the darkness.

Gradually edging out of the darkness from the direction of the mountain are eight individuals. They all appear to be similarly dressed, wearing heavy, dark cloaks, wide-brimmed hats, and face masks. They look human, at least what you can tell from the little you see of their faces, or at least near-human. Two stand out, at least from the way they hold themselves.

What you assume must be their leader or spokesperson extends a hand towards the child, and speaks. It's in the native tongue Shisa spoke at first, and you don't know what it is he (apparently from the depth of his voice) said. Shisa responds quickly in the same language, sounding defiant. The newcomer lowers his arm.

His gaze shifts, landing on Takane. "Outlanders," he says slowly, his Basic heavily accented but understandable, "I will offer you ten-thousand kwacha for you to hand over the child. You may even keep the animal."

"Gosh" Kamoa says in a mock tone of indecision. He glances at his allies "Ten-thousand kwacha, that's a lot." He says, obviously having no idea what that actually amounts to, nor does he apparently care. He pats at his pockets, pretending to look for something "Let me find my conversion table to galactic credits." He sighs after obviously not finding it. "Darn, must've left them in my other pants. How about no, and you all leave right now." He shifts his position to place himself between the newcomers and the child. His body language is relaxed, but it's a suspended relaxation, his weight distribution, stance, set of his shoulders, all indicate to anyone familiar with combat, that he's ready to throw down.

At first, Kai thinks Phoon is raising his hackles in response to his own sudden descent from the tree, but then notices the eight cloaked individuals emerging from the surrounding darkness.

Kwaa-chaaaaa!! Nice hats! Is ten thousand enough to buy myself such a splendid hat? Kai spits.

The leader says something in his language. You don't understand him, but you get the impression it was a curse or dismissal. He raises a hand, and his fellows tense up.

Vigilance checks for initiative. Fear is still in effect, but no need for setback due to darkness for right now.

Takane places her hand on the hilt of her sword. Her hand often finds its way there, but this time is much, much different. The twist of her wrist, the angle of the sheath. She intends to harm anyone who goes for the child. She moves to stand near Shisa, a little ways apart from Kamoa to provide a more encompassing barrier.

"We will not sink to the level of common brigands, trading children for credits! Leave! Immediately!" She narrowed her eyes at the leader; she could not have missed his earlier attention, and she didn't much care for it.

Edited by Absol197

Bralane tenses, her eyes flashing defiantly. She grips her staff in an offensive pose, making it clear she is ready to use the business end of her weapon, lethally if need be.

"I know your type. You thugs are all the same. Predatory bandits picking only on those weaker than themselves because deep down inside you are all a bunch of cowards."

Stepping forward, clearly offering a challenge to the leader and his lackeys

"Feel free to come at me anytime you want. You can even try to rush me at once. There is a good chance you will take me down... but" Bralane pauses, her eyes locked on the leader "But I can guarantee you several things here. One, given the odds, I will be forced use every ounce of my considerable martial skill I have during this fight. I will make no attempt at aiming to wound; when my staff strikes it will be to neutralize. Two, given I know how to use this weapon, the question you must ask yourself right now is this one: are you willing to take the 1:8 chance that today is your day to have your life irrevocably changed (if you're lucky) or die (if you're not quite as lucky)? Because I can absolutely assure you all that before I drop, at least one or two of you (more likely 4 or 5 of you) will drop first. And when you do, you will not get up."

Bralane eyes them all, her head held him, muscle rippling with practiced grace

"So... who's first?"

Staff at the ready, Bralane settles into an offensive fighting stance.

Chadrik quickly tensed as he heard the voices from the dark. He gave a glance at his surroundings as he slowly got up. He was about to say something as Bralane cut into the sleemos with a commanding voice.

"Uh, I'm with her," he announced as she finished.

Was it a squad of common kidnappers such as this, that abducted my own family, in the dark of night? We shall not let this happen.

Kai grinds his beak. Calmly waiting for the talkers to say their piece. There is still an unsettling kernel of fear, but it is slowly engulfed by his growing sense of anger...

This is not the way.

The singsong voice of his old Master rings in his ears, but the voice tapers off, as though acquiescing to the inevitable hostilities.

Edited by Edgehawk

The tension before a conflict. Takane was familiar with it, it was almost a supernatural sense, a foreboding electricity that hovered invisibly in the air. Blood would be spilled very soon.

She shifted her stance subtly, ensuring she was ready to react. As she prepared for the inevitable violence, her senses sharpened as they always did. It was almost like she was outside herself, watching from above, seeing the tiny movements and ready to react to things she never should have known were coming. Her grip on her hilt tightened, shifting subtly.

In her mind, she could hear the echoes of Grandfather's words: "Do not concern yourself with hitting, with the strike. Focus on the form, the draw and the slash, one motion, flowing like water. When your form is precise, your strike will never miss." She was not a master of the lethal draw, so it took her several moments to prepare the technique, readying herself to loose her blade in the proper form, and she watched warily as the bandit leader began to direct his allies, instructing them on the engagement.

Edited by Absol197

As the strangers enter the temple grounds, Zik stands along with the others. He watches, pleased when Bralane tries to scare the ruffians off; failure to try to prevent a fight is an affront to the ancestors, after all. But then the leader commands the others to draw their weapons. Zik turns to Shisa. " Little one, if you know a place to hide, run there now. If you have to stay here, keep behind us. " The thin Human then readies his shockprod and waits for the masked figures to make a move.

Edited by SavageBob

As tensions increase, the flow of the Force changes around Chadrik. He might not have been a Jedi, but in his fighting experience, he was on par with most of his Force-wielding brethren. He was never reckless, preferring the calm that Soresu gave. He could think much better that way. He sees Kai and Bralane engage the enemy and he grasps his lightsaber. As the blows fall he ignites the weapon and the green blade pierces the dark. He recalls the force to him as he slows down the action in his mind. Focus.