The Evening Lamp IC

By Blackbird888, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

4 minutes ago, Magnus Arcanus said:

Bralane quickly sizes up these two thugs, and decides to saunter on over, figuring they probably speak the same "language". Putting on her own "mean looking face", Bralane saunters on over to these fellows.

"Hello Gentle-beings. Mighty fine evening isn't it? I can't help but notice that most of the other villagers are busy doing their day to day tasks, yet you two are here just hanging around in the shadows. Finish up your work early today? Or are you still on the job?"

The two give you an appraising look, but soon relax. The Aqualish grunts noncommittally, but the Quarren answers. It's hard to tell for sure, but he sounds almost casual. "In between jobs. Just waiting for a new client. You new here?"

4 minutes ago, SebastianArrow said:

Chadrik takes in the sights and smells of the town. He too follows his nose and tails Kamoa through the marketplace. However, he gets distracted for a minute with a small game of Spinndice that two young humans are playing but quickly moves on. After the novelty of the place wears off he tries to listen to the conversations that are going on. He tries a few free samples, a few more than is polite, and glances around him while keeping his ears open.

Chadrik hears nothing but snippets and pieces through the din of the market, and nothing that seems a credible lead. You hear something suspicious along the lines of "...Ty'Og seems to be up to it again..." but the speakers disappear before you can zero in on them.

13 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

The two give you an appraising look, but soon relax. The Aqualish grunts noncommittally, but the Quarren answers. It's hard to tell for sure, but he sounds almost casual. "In between jobs. Just waiting for a new client. You new here?"

"Yeah I'm new, just passing through, figured this was a good location to replenish some supplies and rest for the night before I head back out. Its cold out there in the wilderness. Not much better here, but at least you can find a fire to warm yourself. By chance, you two wouldn't know anything about some religious ruins in the area would you?"

1 hour ago, Blackbird888 said:

An alleyway, leading you to an unassuming backdoor to a building. A small sign reads in a language in Huttese reads something to the effect of "curiosity shop."

Zik regards the sign and furrows his brow. Seems an odd kind of shop for a tiny village like this. But the elder sent him here, so here he must be. Zik tests the handle and finds the door unlocked. He steps inside and says, "Hello? I am told this is a curiosity shop. And I am always curious."

Edited by SavageBob

Fish!! While quite capable of enjoying a fresh catch, straight from the water, Kai has learned to appreciate fish prepared in a variety of ways. He has also discovered that his rendering of freshly caught fish with beak and talon, does not always make him a popular dinner guest. In particular, he has developed a taste for the salty seasonings popularly used, which are presently wafting through the air of the open market.

Looking over, he sees his Mirialan companion, Kamoa, also following his nose. Kai is grateful for the company, as people in small villages like this, sometimes are not sure what to make of his appearance: Standing over six feet in height, his otherwise sleight frame is humanoid, but other characteristics are distinctly avian. Blue plumage covers most of his body, with cream upon his breast and beneath his wings, and burnt orange markings about his eyes and mouth.

Finding only a general store, with dried food stuffs, Kai is disappointed, but purchases a small tub of seafood seasoning. Leaving Kam to converse with the shopkeeper, he heads back the way he came, in search of sustenance.

Diving from the low cliff of the coastline, he glides over the gently breaking waves, in search of prey. Sighting a rockfish that would feed the entire party, he dives, plummeting toward the surface. His talons plunge into the water and grasp at the bass, but his keen eyes had deceived him- the alien fish is larger than anticipated, with a massive ventral fin hanging beneath it. It is all Kai can do to extricate himself from his capture, without being pulled down into the water himself. His mostly vestigial wings barely return him to shore.

Kai just sits on the rocks. Not wishing to return hungry, he explores the beach, and spies a large crab! Not enough for my friends, but better than dry rations! He leaps gracefully toward it and is about to thwack it with his training stick... when it leaps just as gracefully, into an inaccessible cavity.

Defeated, Kai sits again. Failure is the foundation of success, and the means by which it is achieved. I'm setting quite the foundation...

Picking himself up, he goes through his kata for a while with his stick, there on the beach. Still hungry, he returns to the village, to see if his companions fared any better in their endeavors.

Kai approaches the village on foot, walking at a measured pace with his training stick. Pausing just outside the perimeter, he once again tries to reach out with the Force, this time to locate his companion Zik... once again, to no avail. His companions are, on the whole, an accepting bunch- but Zik has gone out of his way to befriend him, and welcome him into the fold.

The Sathari sighs, which comes out more as a whistle. At least there was no darkness troubling my thoughts, this time... Still. My old master would frown upon such casual use of these powers. How else am I to learn, though? Just as I perform my kata to build muscle memory, so I must exercise my synergy with the Force around me.

Pushing onward, back into town, Kai seeks his comrades in more conventional fashion.

Chadrik stands around a little longer but finally wanders back to where he left his companions. He notices that Kai, Zik, and Bralane are no where in sight. Probably still searching for news about the Temple.

" Thanks ," he nods to Kamoa as he takes some of the food that the Mirialan is offering. " Wherever the Temple is, folks don't seem to be speaking about it offhand. Maybe its haunted. That would be fun ." He says the last few sentences with a complete deadpan face as if he half believed it.

He takes another bite of the...whatever it was Kamoa was offering. " Anyway, I think these folks have more on their mind than haunted ruins. Let's hope we can avoid whatever their problem is ."

Up to this point Chadrik had a little disinterested in the entire ordeal, but he perked up as he turned his head. The ugliest, most beat-up speeder imaginable was parked between two buildings. But it was the first speeder he had seen in forever on this backwater world (in reality it had only been since the last town he was at but still...). He needed to admire this piece of machinery ( Narrative Fluff ). ;-)

Edited by SebastianArrow
On 6/30/2017 at 10:21 PM, Magnus Arcanus said:

"Yeah I'm new, just passing through, figured this was a good location to replenish some supplies and rest for the night before I head back out. Its cold out there in the wilderness. Not much better here, but at least you can find a fire to warm yourself. By chance, you two wouldn't know anything about some religious ruins in the area would you?"

The Aqualish doesn't seem interested in the conversation, and doesn't speak. You think the Quarren looks thoughtful for a moment, but it's hard to tell.

"No ruins, but I remember hearing the locals talking about some monks that used to travel the roads between Ramshead, Gilgal, and Snowfish. They used to perform funeral rites and render medical aid and stuff like that, but they all up and moved away or disappeared or something. Some of the old timers complain about it every once in a while."

On 6/30/2017 at 10:23 PM, SavageBob said:

Zik regards the sign and furrows his brow. Seems an odd kind of shop for a tiny village like this. But the elder sent him here, so here he must be. Zik tests the handle and finds the door unlocked. He steps inside and says, "Hello? I am told this is a curiosity shop. And I am always curious."

The shop is filled with... things. The best way to describe it is a bit of everything and a whole lot of nothing. Archaic pieces of furniture, strange statues, mesmerizing tapestries and other odd objects fill the store. It seems like a antique shop, only stranger .

It's not a big shop, and at the back is a counter that stretches across most the width of the building. The room is lit by dim, golden lamps that cast heavy shadows, and there is the strong scent of incense in the shop. A hunched Khil stands behind the counter, and he gazes at Zik with an intense, scrutinizing stare.

"Baubles and trinkets from across the galaxy, from cultures unknown to many," the Khil says, voice thick and scratchy, "or perhaps you are searching for something more... esoteric?"

3 hours ago, Blackbird888 said:

The shop is filled with... things. The best way to describe it is a bit of everything and a whole lot of nothing. Archaic pieces of furniture, strange statues, mesmerizing tapestries and other odd objects fill the store. It seems like a antique shop, only stranger .

It's not a big shop, and at the back is a counter that stretches across most the width of the building. The room is lit by dim, golden lamps that cast heavy shadows, and there is the strong scent of incense in the shop. A hunched Khil stands behind the counter, and he gazes at Zik with an intense, scrutinizing stare.

"Baubles and trinkets from across the galaxy, from cultures unknown to many," the Khil says, voice thick and scratchy, "or perhaps you are searching for something more... esoteric?"

Once Zik's eyes adjust to the dimness, he marks a trail in the dust coating a metal object near the door. Rubbing the dust between his thumb and forefinger, he regards the metal object with curiosity. Two openings and a round body: maybe a spittoon for Ithorians?

To a shopkeeper, even a pebble is precious if someone will haggle for it. Zik regards the Khil shopkeeper and smiles. " Baubles and trinkets from across the galaxy I have ." The storyteller runs a hand across the chain around his neck, jostling its grisgris against each other like a wind chime. " What I lack is knowledge about this village and its surroundings. There is no place without a history. Shall we trade a story for a story? "

Edited by SavageBob

Sorry for the delay, I'll try to get back to more frequent posting

:) . If my slight ret-con is too much, I can change it.

Takane drifted through the village, generally following the preacher. His fondness for koans reminded her of Grandfather, although he had been more restrained in their application. She thanked the old woman for the direction to the Curiosity Shop, and entered slightly behind Zik. She stopped, watching the shopowner's response to his query.

3 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

Once Zik's eyes adjust to the dimness, he marks a trail in the dust coating a metal object near the door. Rubbing the dust between his thumb and forefinger, he regards the metal object with curiosity. Two openings and a round body: maybe a spittoon for Ithorians?

To a shopkeeper, even a pebble is precious if someone will haggle for it. Zik regards the Khil shopkeeper and smiles. " Baubles and trinkets from across the galaxy I have ." The storyteller runs a hand across the chain around his neck, jostling its grisgris against each other like a wind chime. " What I lack is knowledge about this village and its surroundings. There is no place without a history. Shall we trade a story for a story? "

The shopkeeper chuckles, or maybe coughs roughly; it's hard to tell. He raises a hand and beckons Zik to the counter. "You sound as if you have experience in the matter of legends and curiosities . A story for a story is a... fair trade. However, I must request payment up front. Tell me, what do you offer?"

@SavageBob Feel free to make an opposed Knowledge check against the shopkeeper's Presence/Cool (2/1). Add 1 Boost for affable behavior. Feel free to select a Knowledge check of choice, but I suggest Lore, Core Worlds, or Outer Rim as the most appropriate. If you can't think of an exciting yarn, feel free to use or paraphrase something from the Force and Destiny rulebook or Nexus of Power , or another sourcebook.

17 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

The shopkeeper chuckles, or maybe coughs roughly; it's hard to tell. He raises a hand and beckons Zik to the counter. "You sound as if you have experience in the matter of legends and curiosities . A story for a story is a... fair trade. However, I must request payment up front. Tell me, what do you offer?"

Zik leans his herder's staff against a wall, pushes up the sleeves of his thermal cloak, and rests his forearms on the counter. He squints against the dim light. "I bring a tale of my homeworld, Chalacta." He takes in a deep breath of the sweet incense percolating through the room. "A certain king was at war, so he employed three Adepts to help him destroy his enemies.

"At the end of the war, these three Adepts came to the king and humbly asked to return home. The king foolishly refused, so the Adepts said,

"'We asked your permission out of courtesy, your majesty, but we can very easily depart without it.'

"The first Adept leapt into the air so high she soared over the palace gates and escaped. The second Adept disappeared from view, but her steps were heard all the way to the edge of town. The third remained standing before the king.

"'It is your turn to disappear!' the king bellowed, trembling with anger. 'Or shall I slay you?'

"The Adept replied, 'You cannot harm me, your majesty.'

"At this, the king ordered him executed, but the sword broke in two, and the executioner's arm withered away. The king ordered another guard to attack, but the spear broke and was useless. Another guard attempted to crush the Adept with a rock, but it rolled over his body as if it were a child's ball.

"The king was enraged, but he let the Adept go. From that day forth, the Adepts never became involved in the political affairs of Chalacta again."

The thin Human smiles again, showing teeth this time, and his eyes widen again. "Tell me, my friend. Have you ever heard a tale of ones skilled in such powers?"

4 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

Zik leans his herder's staff against a wall, pushes up the sleeves of his thermal cloak, and rests his forearms on the counter. He squints against the dim light. "I bring a tale of my homeworld, Chalacta." He takes in a deep breath of the sweet incense percolating through the room. "A certain king was at war, so he employed three Adepts to help him destroy his enemies.

"At the end of the war, these three Adepts came to the king and humbly asked to return home. The king foolishly refused, so the Adepts said,

"'We asked your permission out of courtesy, your majesty, but we can very easily depart without it.'

"The first Adept leapt into the air so high she soared over the palace gates and escaped. The second Adept disappeared from view, but her steps were heard all the way to the edge of town. The third remained standing before the king.

"'It is your turn to disappear!' the king bellowed, trembling with anger. 'Or shall I slay you?'

"The Adept replied, 'You cannot harm me, your majesty.'

"At this, the king ordered him executed, but the sword broke in two, and the executioner's arm withered away. The king ordered another guard to attack, but the spear broke and was useless. Another guard attempted to crush the Adept with a rock, but it rolled over his body as if it were a child's ball.

"The king was enraged, but he let the Adept go. From that day forth, the Adepts never became involved in the political affairs of Chalacta again."

The thin Human smiles again, showing teeth this time, and his eyes widen again. "Tell me, my friend. Have you ever heard a tale of ones skilled in such powers?"

"Curious..." the Khil says slowly, tapping his finger to his forehead. He nods after a moment. "Yes, that payment is acceptable. Now, our agreement was for the local history, yes?"

"The continent you are on has no name, officially. The three largest settlements are Gilgal, Snowfish Port, and Ramshead. Snowfish and Ramshead were first established as ports for the fishing vessels when they move this far north. Gilgal was first established by the Ithorian herd that settled the planet in the early days of the colonization. When more settlers moved north, the Ithorians herd moved on to more isolated parts of the planet, and Gilgal was established as a colonial city."

"But that's not what you're really after, is it, Outlander?" The Khil says wryly. "You baited me with a story many would consider fantastical. Very clever, but I am not so easily tricked. I suppose there is a more curious tale that can be heard... They say there were once monks that walked the roads of this place, giving out alms. They were well-regarded by the locals, as, aside from their charity, they kept to themselves. They disappeared one day, decades ago. It is said that you can find their old temple ruins in the mountains to the west, before you reach Gilgal."

"Does that satisfy your curiosity , Outlander?"

Wandering through the small village, Kai hears Zik's voice rise up, but only for an instant. Either he's in story-telling mode, or he's found trouble...

Ducking into the alley, he approaches the inconspicuous door, listening for his friends. That's him. And just wrapping up his tale, by the sound of it.

Tapping tentatively on the door, Kai enters what appears to be a most curious shop. Once the proprietor is assured Kai is with Zik and Takane, he continues with a story of his own.

The mountains. Of course.. Every fortress a monastery, and every monastery a fortress.

As the rest of the group begins to fan out and check this shop and that Kamoa simply strolls down the few streets of the village, munching on the dried meat, and waving at people he passes. He doesn't have any goal in mind, just aimlessly wandering and seeing what happens. It's been the most effective method for him to find where he was most needed, so he didn't see any reason to stop now.

Zik puts all his weight on his left elbow and nods slowly after the shopkeeper's tale. " Only in its telling is a tale truly at home. Thank you, my friend. Very curious indeed." He stands up straight again, assured now that the shopkeeper doesn't feel threatened by the three outlanders now crowding the tiny shop. "Monks..." Zik gestures toward the shelves of dusty doodads surrounding them. "An antique is where history finds its bed. Do you have anything from these monks of whom you speak?"

Kai abhors the stereotype that Satahari are easily distracted by shiny trinkets and baubles, and yet he must admit to himself that there is a ring of truth to it. Taking in the eclectic collection of doodads and whatsits, he addresses their Khil host:

Is it said why these charitable monks disappeared? Probably the same reason most good people, of all cloths, are in hiding... but what in particular, and why then?

19 hours ago, Blackbird888 said:

"No ruins, but I remember hearing the locals talking about some monks that used to travel the roads between Ramshead, Gilgal, and Snowfish. They used to perform funeral rites and render medical aid and stuff like that, but they all up and moved away or disappeared or something. Some of the old timers complain about it every once in a while."

Bralane engages in some small talk with the two bodyguards, not overly friendly in its cut, but neither adversarial. After 15 minutes or so of talk:

"Well, I do certainly appreciate the warmth of your fire and the conversation. I do however need to get back to my own charges and duties. If you will excuse me."

Bralene nods at them both, making one last comment before she moves on:

"And I do hope you are able to find bodyguard work soon. I may not know much of these lands, but think we can all agree it is dangerous out there and there are many in need of protection against that which does harm, whether it be the Forces of Nature or the Forces of Man."

Takane listened as the shopkeeper told his part of the local legends. She smirked inwardly at the backwardness of the local--while the Chalactan's story had been fanciful, the idea that such powers could be real, and that the shopkeep might believe it, was a little ridiculous. But they had gotten the information they needed, so it mattered little.

As they spoke (and Kai entered the shop as well), the young warrior browsed the dusty shelves. She felt a...pull, almost, that vague tide that she sometimes called her Destiny ebbing slightly towards a specific shelf, and she poked around, and found a crystal orb. She took it down, cleaning the dust off with her sleeve, inspecting the object. It fit almost perfectly in her palm, and it its sphere was flawed in any way, it was so slight that she could not detect it. Holding it up to the scant light, she could see the way it distorted the images passing through. It was not a diamond, but it was a very clear crystal, though she could not determine what kind.

She moved to stand behind Zik, waiting to be addressed by the Khil. When he looked her direction, she held up the orb. "I've taken a liking to this. How much?"

This is entirely a narrative thing, she's not buying an actual piece of equipment I have in mind. The orb can be Force-related, or just be a fancy bauble, as the GM decides. And no need for the decision to be made now, of course!

7 hours ago, SavageBob said:

Zik puts all his weight on his left elbow and nods slowly after the shopkeeper's tale. " Only in its telling is a tale truly at home. Thank you, my friend. Very curious indeed." He stands up straight again, assured now that the shopkeeper doesn't feel threatened by the three outlanders now crowding the tiny shop. "Monks..." Zik gestures toward the shelves of dusty doodads surrounding them. "An antique is where history finds its bed. Do you have anything from these monks of whom you speak?"

"I am a collector of the curious . Who is to say what I have has any origin whatsoever? Anything more will require you to pay for it. A story for a story... and a treasure for a treasure."

6 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

Kai abhors the stereotype that Satahari are easily distracted by shiny trinkets and baubles, and yet he must admit to himself that there is a ring of truth to it. Taking in the eclectic collection of doodads and whatsits, he addresses their Khil host:

Is it said why these charitable monks disappeared? Probably the same reason most good people, of all cloths, are in hiding... but what in particular, and why then?

"Stories come and go, and they change with time, becoming legends and fables. It cannot be said for sure why they disappeared, and some now doubt they existed at all. What do you think?"

9 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

Takane listened as the shopkeeper told his part of the local legends. She smirked inwardly at the backwardness of the local--while the Chalactan's story had been fanciful, the idea that such powers could be real, and that the shopkeep might believe it, was a little ridiculous. But they had gotten the information they needed, so it mattered little.

As they spoke (and Kai entered the shop as well), the young warrior browsed the dusty shelves. She felt a...pull, almost, that vague tide that she sometimes called her Destiny ebbing slightly towards a specific shelf, and she poked around, and found a crystal orb. She took it down, cleaning the dust off with her sleeve, inspecting the object. It fit almost perfectly in her palm, and it its sphere was flawed in any way, it was so slight that she could not detect it. Holding it up to the scant light, she could see the way it distorted the images passing through. It was not a diamond, but it was a very clear crystal, though she could not determine what kind.

She moved to stand behind Zik, waiting to be addressed by the Khil. When he looked her direction, she held up the orb. "I've taken a liking to this. How much?"

"I take curiosities of equal value. What do you have to offer for such a thing?"

Takane blanched ever so slightly at this. She had not expected someone running a shop to request payment in anything other than currency, at least for physical goods. "I am just a traveler; aside from credits, I have little of value or note." She shifted a little, moving to replace the orb on its shelf. "I apologize; I--"

Noting Kai's presence once more, a thought suddenly struck her. "One moment." She approached the Sathari. "Are there any of those you no longer need?" She asked, gesturing to his feathers.

Sorry, Kai, but you're probably the most interesting thing that's been in this area for a long time :P !

Edited by Absol197

Sk-Skk--Skkeh-kaawwt!?! Kai protests, the raucous shriek piercing the calm. My strength in the Force is so feeble, that my plumage is all I can offer, to aid my companions..?

Puffing out his breast, in as dignified a display as he can muster, he relents:

Indeed. But for my facial plumes, a plucked feather will not be missed, and will grow back quickly. Molting is a natural process. Eyeing the orb: It is a thing of beauty. If the young lady may trade a feather for it, let it be hers.

3 minutes ago, Edgehawk said:

Sk-Skk--Skkeh-kaawwt!?! Kai protests, the raucous shriek piercing the calm. My strength in the Force is so feeble, that my plumage is all I can offer, to aid my companions..?

Puffing out his breast, in as dignified a display as he can muster, he relents:

Indeed. But for my facial plumes, a plucked feather will not be missed, and will grow back quickly. Molting is a natural process. Eyeing the orb: It is a thing of beauty. If the young lady may trade a feather for it, let it be hers.

Zik laughs aloud. He likes this shopkeeper. They're kindred spirits; the shopkeeper just collects his stories in material form.

The thin human holds up two fingers. " Perhaps I can sweeten the soup. " He grasps something hanging from the chain necklace he wears over his scarf and gives it a sharp tug. The object pulls free, but Zik notices a small tear in the thick wool of the scarf. No matter: The man who only owns one tunic is always wearing his best clothes.

Zik dangles the object in front of the shopkeeper: a talisman made of a small avian skull attached to a metal rivet. "The jubba bird is a wise trickster, sacred to my people. Its song is beautiful, but its call hides guile enough to disassemble its own cage. Indeed, this rivet is from a detention center I once... visited." He places the object on the counter next to Kai's feather. "May the feather remind you of the walking bird, the skull remind you of the talking man, and the rivet remind you of the sword-bearing woman who came into your shop one cold day to trade stories."

The Khil takes the talisman with the grace of an antiquarian and examined it. "There is a painting on the wall, yes?" He says, gesturing into the shop. "It was created by an artist who was enamored with the gates of the temple you seek. Perhaps it will lead you to your... destination."

He turns to Kai and Takane, extending a hand. "I find such a payment... acceptable, if you are truly willing. Yes?"

Takane looked at Kai; she had asked for a feather only because she knew they would grow back quickly, so the cost to her companion would be minimal, but it was still a cost to him, and his reaction had been more severe than she had expected. "If it is too much trouble, do not bother yourself. As the shopkeeper has stated, it is only a curiosity, I have no great need for it."

She hoped her statement communicated her unspoken promise of a more conventional repayment at a later time.