The Evening Lamp IC

By Blackbird888, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

29 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

He turns to Kai and Takane, extending a hand. "I find such a payment... acceptable, if you are truly willing. Yes?"

Kai bobs his head at the Khil. Please. Select a feather, and my companion here (indicating Takane with a talon) will remove it for you.

1 hour ago, Blackbird888 said:

The Khil takes the talisman with the grace of an antiquarian and examined it. "There is a painting on the wall, yes?" He says, gesturing into the shop. "It was created by an artist who was enamored with the gates of the temple you seek. Perhaps it will lead you to your... destination."

Zik nods and turns in the direction indicated by the Khil. He scans the wall and finds the painting in question. How interesting . He regards the painting carefully for a moment.

Just now, SavageBob said:

Zik nods and turns in the direction indicated by the Khil. He scans the wall and finds the painting in question. How interesting . He regards the painting carefully for a moment.

The piece is archaic compared to the rest of the galaxy, using canvas and paint, but the level of detail is astounding. Zik may have mistaken it for a still-life picture were it not for the tiniest of brushstrokes visible.

It depicts a forest scene, possible in spring or summer due to the flowering bushes and trees. Sunlight is breaking through tall, straight trees, but what dominates the picture is a large, arching gateway. It's colored a brilliant amber color and some sort of writing is carved into the surface of the gate. It stands above a mountain trail that disappears into the background, and you can make out cobblestones along the trail.

Kamoa finds a spot with a good view of the setting sun, and settles down to watch. He's always fascinated by the different skyscapes from planet to planet, yet they all have similar elements. From Zathras VII, and it's constant atmospheric aurora's, lighting up the sky as the sun's fell below the horizon, to the ocean moon of Edria Kosh, and it's photo-reactive sea-life, copying the nebula colors they see in the sky. All of them unique, yet similar. He was looking forward to the display on this world. He quietly munched on another bit of dried meat, finding it very much to his liking, and took in the atmosphere of the place.

11 hours ago, Blackbird888 said:

The piece is archaic compared to the rest of the galaxy, using canvas and paint, but the level of detail is astounding. Zik may have mistaken it for a still-life picture were it not for the tiniest of brushstrokes visible.

It depicts a forest scene, possible in spring or summer due to the flowering bushes and trees. Sunlight is breaking through tall, straight trees, but what dominates the picture is a large, arching gateway. It's colored a brilliant amber color and some sort of writing is carved into the surface of the gate. It stands above a mountain trail that disappears into the background, and you can make out cobblestones along the trail.

Hmm. The painting is too big to carry with him, so Zik removes his datapad from his pack and captures its image in the device's memory. A piece of wood with teeth carved in it cannot bite. The painting isn't as good as the real thing, but it might be helpful.

As he puts the datapad away, he looks more closely at the script on the gate in the image. It looks familiar enough and... Yes! The storyteller deciphers the message. Not only that...

To you, Blackbird, to reveal the message and what the Triumph and Threat represent!

1 minute ago, SavageBob said:

Hmm. The painting is too big to carry with him, so Zik removes his datapad from his pack and captures its image in the device's memory. A piece of wood with teeth carved in it cannot bite. The painting isn't as good as the real thing, but it might be helpful.

As he puts the datapad away, he looks more closely at the script on the gate in the image. It looks familiar enough and... Yes! The storyteller deciphers the message. Not only that...

The whole thing looks like it was written with a mix of the Ottegan and Ithorian languages, two languages similar enough that you can get a sense for what it's saying. Many of the symbols you've seen before, though a few are totally alien to you.

There are two distinct things you can read: across the top of the gate, and on the pillars.

The top reads, roughly translated: "[ Hallowed or sacred or dignified] [ground or earth or expanse] [unknown] [unknown] [temple or sanctum or enclosure]. [several unknown words] [all or many] [within or enclosed or entombed]. "

The pillars are easier, as each hieroglyph indicates a singular thought. You make out characters reading 'life,' 'air,' 'mountain,' 'seasons,' terms for different animals, among others, though a few are unknown. Due to the Ithorians' views on the living world, this practice is not unusual to see among their structures, and altogether the practice means the reader should find the sacredness of nature.

Zik puzzles over the message a bit. Some sort of hallowed cemetery, perhaps? He rejoins the others toward the front. " Thank you, my friend, for your wisdom and curiosity. The painting has a home here, so here I will leave it. Perhaps some travelers will need it again in the future. "

The man retrieves his staff from the corner. He pulls his cloak tight around him once again, signaling to the others that it may be time to rejoin the others near the market.

The shopkeep indicated which feather he wanted (one of Kai's tailfeathers, it appeared) and Takane, as gentle as she could, removed it from her friend and presented it to the curious purveyor. With a nod of thanks, she joined Zik in returning outside.

"Thank you for your assistance," she said to the Sathari. "I would not normally ask, but..." She looked at the orb, watching as the afternoon sun played through it, splitting and refracting as it passed through the crystal. "I felt this may be helpful in the future." She shook her head, as if chasing away some nagging thought. "I do not know why or how, but Grandfather always said it was not wise for one to ignore her instincts."

She swung her bag from her shoulder, stuffing the orb in with her other belongings as she walked. Now that they had their directions, her mind was on the next steps: ensure they had any needed supplies, then on to the road. She was sure some of the others would want to stay the night, but she had no problem with sleeping in the woods, and it would mean getting there all the sooner. Perhaps she could convince them...

As Zik, Takane, and Kai, walked out of the shop and down the streets, Chadrik came up. " Ah, find anything? "

After being informed of their encounter in the curiosity shop, Chadrik nodded. " At least we have something to go on. I have been busy as well. I've been fixing up that speeder over their. " He pointed at the piece of machinery between the two houses. " I upgraded it a bit. Now it should run like Naboo silk. I'm quite pleased with it. It looks almost brand new. " He smiled as he rubbed his greasy hands together.

" Who wrecked my speeder?!? " A Twi'lek had come out at this point and was looking at the machine. " It looks like a bantha sat on it! What idiot... "

Chadrik's black Rodian eyes grew ever so slightly rounder. Without even turning to see who was making the noise he said, " I suggest we find those haunted ruins. Uh, soon. "

Kamoa, seeing his companions reemerge from the various buildings, and begin speaking in earnest, gets up from his spot, and ambles over. He comes in at the tail end of the comment from Chadrik about the speeder looking brand new, and turns his head at the yelling Twi'lek. Seeing Chadrik's reaction, he chuckles to himself. "So, we have an idea on where to go?" He idly puts on a pair of slim, black gloves over his hands while speaking.

Still mesmerized by the orb, Kai barely flinches as Takane plucks the mature tail feather. You are welcome. And trusting your instincts is often just trusting in... (better not to complete that sentence in public) skrk-skrk-tssk... excuse me. Giving his posterior a quick shake, he straightens, and exits the shop with the rest of the party.

Catching the Rodian mid-flight, Kai joins him, heading for the mountains.

" We should head west, toward Gilghal. We should reach a mountain pass along the way that will lead us to the temple. " Zik keeps an eye on the irate Twi'lek, now throwing up his hands and kicking his speeder for some reason. " An ungrateful person is like a robber who has taken your goods. But perhaps we should be on our way? We should be careful. The locals mentioned bandits in the hills. "

Edited by SavageBob

"Sounds good" He says to Zik's answer. Apparently not too concerned with the idea of bandits on the roads. He adjusts his pack, stowing the tasty morsels for later, and gets out his glow rod and hanging it from his belt. He glances around for the others, his eyes scanning the villagers absently.

Kai hesitates in concentration at the edge of the village, then strikes out upon the path heading West into the mountains. Zik found the right trail to follow- I just have to keep us on it.

Letting out a soft whistle: Come. Let us away.

The party follows, leaving the cursing Twi'lek and his speeder behind in the encroaching darkness.

The western road to your destination is a lonely one. Soon after leaving the village you enter the forest, and the pathway is a cold, lonely, meandering one. There are parts of the route that seem worn down, but it doesn't lead you astray.

It must be close to local midnight, or a little after, and the cool night air makes you shiver through your cloaks, but you find what Zik's evidence indicates is the path to your destination. The mountain pathway is overgrown and barely visible, and the once immaculate gateway is nothing more than a single collapsed pillar, decaying and consumed by the vegetation.

Kamoa walks along, his glow rod tied to his belt, giving off light. He unhooks it and moves it back and forth at the gateway, taking in what details he can through the vegetation. He glances back at Zik. "This look like what you found?"

26 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Kamoa walks along, his glow rod tied to his belt, giving off light. He unhooks it and moves it back and forth at the gateway, taking in what details he can through the vegetation. He glances back at Zik. "This look like what you found?"

Zik retrieves his fusion lantern, fires it up, and hangs it from the end of his staff. Its heat provides some relief from the somber chill. Between the three-meter dome of light and Kamoa's glowrod, he's able to examine the ruins. He makes out a few of the runes from the painting and glowers as he glances at the Mirialan. "This is the gate to the temple; it has the same Ottegan and Ithorian writing from the painting. There surely is no antidote to old age—unless this was something worse."

Edited by SavageBob

Chadrik stands behind Kamoa and Zik as they look at the fallen pillar. He too takes out his glow rod which he has left in his pack. He thinks to himself, " Well, with Zik's lantern and Kamoa's glow rod, one more source of light wont make much difference for someone to spot us. Might as well have some more. "

The Rodian's glow rod came to life. He said solemnly, " If these ruins are only haunted by Ithorian force ghosts I'm going to be sorely disappointed. "

Rummaging around in the "appropriated" military pack of the Mantellian peace officer, Bralane softly cursed "Blast! No light source!? What kind of peace officer fails to carry a flashlight?" Resigned to her fate, Bralane closes her pack and shoulders it, moving in close to the party and those with flashlights.

"There is nothing here to fear. I'll happily even go first if someone will be kind enough to shine a light on the path."

++Bralane pulls out her staff and takes point++

Edited by Magnus Arcanus

Kamoa blinks at the Rodian and says. "You act like being able to speak to the honored dead of centuries past...isn't a worthy enough result in itself?" His tone clearly indicating his disbelief that anyone would feel gipped at only speaking to ghosts with centuries of knowledge and wisdom.

Zik joins Bralane up the path, the pool of light from his lantern swinging with each step. "Ghosts or no ghosts, we need to find Baak Harrema. The dead and the lost: Both could meet in a place like this." The Human places his hand on Bralane's shoulder and calls silently to the Bothan's ancestors to strengthen her. A tinge of fear seeps in—for the group, for Harrema—but the storyteller keeps it back, drowning it in the comfort he feels in such an ancient and holy place. "Bralane, what do your eyes and ears tell you? Any sign of Harrema?"

Zik has increased Bralane's Cunning by 1 until his next turn.

9 hours ago, KungFuFerret said:

Kamoa blinks at the Rodian and says. "You act like being able to speak to the honored dead of centuries past...isn't a worthy enough result in itself?" His tone clearly indicating his disbelief that anyone would feel gipped at only speaking to ghosts with centuries of knowledge and wisdom.

Chadrik shuffles uneasily. The 'honored dead'. That's what they were. What they should have been. But Chadrik shivered when he thought about communing with his dead master. Even now he was not sure if his master would chide him or praise him about the last living moments of his life. Chadrik would rather not find out.

Chadrik shrugs and tries to sound at ease (failing rather badly). " Who is worthy to talk to the dead? "

9 minutes ago, SebastianArrow said:

Chadrik shuffles uneasily. The 'honored dead'. That's what they were. What they should have been. But Chadrik shivered when he thought about communing with his dead master. Even now he was not sure if his master would chide him or praise him about the last living moments of his life. Chadrik would rather not find out.

Chadrik shrugs and tries to sound at ease (failing rather badly). " Who is worthy to talk to the dead? "

Kamoa shrugs, and looks back at the archway. "I guess that's up to the dead isn't it? If they show themselves to us, then they felt we were worthy." His tone goes soft a bit, remembering. "Besides, we all have our ghosts, one way or another." His free hand unconsciously brushing away an insect on his face, but lingering a moment on the markings on his cheek. "I find confronting them lessens the hold they have on you. Besides, we've done no wrong to any that might dwell here."

Takane remained silent throughout this conversation. She did not add her own glow rod to their light; they had enough. She stalked behind the group, taking up the rear guard, her hand on the hilt of her sword, as always. This topic did not make her feel comfortable; the dead were dead, they could not speak.

But what if...there was one person passed that she would give almost anything to speak to, even if only one last time. She paused, just for a moment, gripping the hilt of the sword tightly. "I will find my path," she whispered to it.

Then she continued, crunching quietly through the underbrush after her companions.

Bralane carefully tread up the worn footpath, using hand signals and hushed breaths to direct her companions. Shadows danced in the limbs and boughs of the spruce trees that lined the path, giving the illusion of grasping creatures ready to pounce. A cold and damp breeze occasionally filtered out of the northwest, chilling all travelers as they cinched up their cloaks even more. Slowly and methodically, Bralane moved up the path, watching every shadow for possible danger, and more pragmatically, a twist or bend in the trail that could easily be missed in the darkness. After 30 minutes of traveling, (slowed considerably by the terrain and lack of light), the group finally made it to their destination. All thoughts and sensations of cold washed away, replaced by a flushed warmth from the adrenaline now pumping through the blood of the party.

"What will we find here?!" Bralane wondered silently. "Whatever it is, I will face it head on and bravely like I have everything else in life." muttered Bralane defiantly.