desperately bad ship repaint

By gounour, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

4 minutes ago, gounour said:

to all> I've had 10 years to think over it, so I'm usually cool with it now (sometimes less so). I usually use it to tell some very dark-toned death-jokes that other would not be allowed to.

so much for it, let's go back to painting topic, I'm very much in demand of replies like the one Drasnighta made, so go for it ^_^

your positivity is infectious :D

Really like the elemental theme, and the way you did, other than the rebel fire wing

Ever thought of dark and light?

"light" I tried, and scrapped it as utterly uninteresting (besides, how do you make white that does not look, well, just white....)

My try at dazzle camo ISD was reprimed black as I found that it was way beyond my abilities to do something even remotely not horrible. I'll go with dark greys instead, that can be on the "Dark side"

Under the command of "Admiral Robin the (by accident) Brave", for sure, even if I do not paint a chicken on the bridge.

2 minutes ago, gounour said:

"light" I tried, and scrapped it as utterly uninteresting (besides, how do you make white that does not look, well, just white....)

My try at dazzle camo ISD was reprimed black as I found that it was way beyond my abilities to do something even remotely not horrible. I'll go with dark greys instead, that can be on the "Dark side"

Under the command of "Admiral Robin the (by accident) Brave", for sure, even if I do not paint a chicken on the bridge.

White that doesn't look just white? Look at your Complimentary colours, and those colours opposites...

For example - the classic ComStar Scheme with White that is edged with Gold... Gold is effectively Yellow, so the opposite colour to yellow is Purple...

Adding a little bit of Purple Wash to the recess, for example, will make the white subtle different and stand out - and will definitely make the gold stand out.

Camo is... Always difficult. Because when it works, it works too well and we lose the actual shape of the model - because that's what Camo does... Hyper-exaggerate it and that's really the only solution...

6 minutes ago, gounour said:

paint a chicken on the bridge

PLEASE DO THIS! :D

On 13/07/2017 at 7:18 PM, Visovics said:

PLEASE DO THIS! :D

Tried to, but I am a much worse drawer that I'm a painter, so that never was really looking like a chicken...besides it doesn't fit very well into Star Wars meta, having a big ship with impressive name and a very unimpressive distinctive mark on it

(see how well I can cover my lack of skill? :lol: )

anyhow, the "stormy skies", MC80 for the Air attack wing

17072009001722543815157864.jpg

and Admiral's Robin "Thunderous", said never to have lost a battle, a fact secretly explained by its crew by never having been allowed within a parsec of one

17072009001622543815157863.jpg

both in need of further work, but I 've got 26 more ships to paint (including 1 SSDs), so it will be stayed for the moment

Grey crayon on that SSD! That is brilliant! I may need to give mine a touch up... after I raid my daughter's crayon box!

After weeks of comparison, I still cant decide which squadron paint job I like more, the earth, or the white with pale blue grey. Though, I may use a riff on the earth squadron colors for the StarVipers I just got.

On 6/30/2017 at 2:06 PM, melminiatures said:

What are you going to do with two Executors? You crazy mad man!

Clearly the answer is paint one up to represent the Lusankya and one the Executor!

On 6/11/2017 at 2:58 AM, gounour said:

I'm new to painting minis, and I'm wondering how you maintain the black lines in the crevices so well? I'm trying to paint one of my ships with a grey/white color scheme but I struggle with this.

40 minutes ago, GalacticFister said:

I'm new to painting minis, and I'm wondering how you maintain the black lines in the crevices so well? I'm trying to paint one of my ships with a grey/white color scheme but I struggle with this.

Not the OP but it is doable 2 ways. Very careful pin washing Or, if you mop washed over everything, going back with the base colours and hitting the panels and not the cracks. Be light with the brush, make sure you paint is proper consistency, and you should be fine, takes practice though.

On 02/08/2017 at 9:03 PM, GalacticFister said:

as Darthains says of course; two more ideas to help you:

-if you want sharp dark lines, go for stark contrasts. here we have plain black and skeleton bone

-if you're new to painting minis, a very general advice: don't overdo it! if you analyze any painting from any painter (even Masters painters from past centuries), you'll find taht what makes a good paint job is not where you put some paint, but where you did not ......

on minis, if you stop your brush a few lines short from the crevices that will still look good. If you try too hard to reach the edge, you're sure to blotch the recess at some point, which will mar all your previous good work. Know where your limits are, master it, then try to go over it one step at a time. With good advices, you'll learn quickly and get to a good level in no time

some WiP on a Keldalbe, found how to highlight, some more work on turrets and reactor

17080707331722543815204825.jpg

Going with the Keldalbe, a MC20 from Mel in WSF., as a "perfectly honest and neutral pirate fleet". got an acclamator started, a crusader corvette and an interceptor frigate printing, and later some skyprays/starvipers to complete the fleet

still in need of some blacklining and real lighting (actual is only done in crayon), but I'm stuck on it for too long, back on it later

17092206022422543815280039.jpg

That looks amazing for a WSF, great rusty paintjob.

I'm particularly proud of that model since it was pretty much my own creation.

1 hour ago, melminiatures said:

I'm particularly proud of that model since it was pretty much my own creation.

you can be, that is a very good model, easy to paint and rewarding

thank you so much for it :lol:

11 hours ago, gounour said:

Going with the Keldalbe, a MC20 from Mel in WSF., as a "perfectly honest and neutral pirate fleet". got an acclamator started, a crusader corvette and an interceptor frigate printing, and later some skyprays/starvipers to complete the fleet

still in need of some blacklining and real lighting (actual is only done in crayon), but I'm stuck on it for too long, back on it later

17092206022422543815280039.jpg

Nice work on the space dong ? (sorry Mel, can't unsee it.

got a bit (more than usual) lazy those days, so just a WiP on a WSF profundity for the Air attack wing

17101306423422543815317243.jpg

and a FUD Acclamator just prepared for painting (black prime, heavy brush of medium grey, AP dark tone inking, heavy brush of sky grey).it will get a coat of skeleton bone, highlights of ivory and pure white, some reactor work in yellow, and something to show its dedication to Zann Consortium

17101306423222543815317241.jpg

17101306423322543815317242.jpg

what do you think, brown tower? republic markings in different colors?

*Sigh* The Acclamator has always been one of my favorite ships. I'm sure yours will do it justice!

Personally, I like the idea of the Republic markings in a different color scheme.

final photos of the MC75

17101906425522543815330284.jpg

17101906425422543815330283.jpg

first to post a MC75 painted here I think :P

now going for a MC40 for the earth attack wing

/edit: not said it was from Mel, sorry, you must always tell who did the real job!

Edited by gounour
credits given

an Ithorian MC40 named "Mother Jungle" from Mel in WSF ("upside-down" version)

17110108480022543815349190.jpg

17110108572322543815349191.jpg

a bit fast on the finish, not saying I will not go back on it, but I must start painting the Junior Woodchucks

Edited by gounour

first of the Junior Woodchuck's MC30 flotilla, Louie

17111112553822543815364328.jpg

17111112553822543815364327.jpg

my lighting is wrong, the mini is painted more red-toned than the photo. Anyway, my painting is crapy as ever...

@gounour your models are awesome! You are truly an artist with a mastery of not only applying the paint but also selecting colors. May I suggest you drop your excessive modesty and harsh self-criticism? It’s off-putting and I don’t think that you deserve such harsh feedback for beautiful work … especially from yourself. No need to gloat haha but certainly hold your head up when it comes to painting tiny spaceships. Great work!

WGNF911>Thank your for your praise, but I do find my painting not worth anything, I do not have the eyes or the hands to get much better, I'll just try to anyway

so here is Huey

17111407514922543815370952.jpg

17111407514822543815370949.jpg

and here is Dewey

17111407514822543815370950.jpg

17111407514922543815370951.jpg

I may return to this line of painting later, with a Donald Duck Pelta, a Goofy MkII, a Home one Scrooge McDuck, Minnie/Mickey CR90, Daisy Nebulon B

on the Imperial side, a pair of Beagle Boys Glads, a Pete Resurgent and a Rockerduck Victory, got 2 Arguitens that I do not know how to paint, maybe standard white

But now back to the Napoleonic lead pile, I've got a bunch of Prussians awaiting

I like it!

MayI suggest a Darkwing Duck Liberty. The terror that flaps in the night deserves to be represented!

Darkwing_Duck_(animation)_title_card.jpg

15 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

I like it!

MayI suggest a Darkwing Duck Liberty. The terror that flaps in the night deserves to be represented!

I don't know how but your post managed to get the d*** DuckTales theme song stuck in my head. Now I'll be walking around all day humming it like an idiot.

On 17/11/2017 at 4:07 PM, cynanbloodbane said:

I like it!

I may be too old, or too french to understand what you are referring to, I'll have to google/youtube this Darkwing Duck type.

and buy another Liberty, too...