The Random Spam-Induced Thread

By devilmonkey, in Odds & Ends

link-spam-report.jpg

This is Spam. What? Need more? Okay fine...

Spam² - A horrible tasting, ham substitute that is widely popular in Hawaii. Also believed to be a parrot deterrent
Spam³ - The posting of substance material that has little or nothing to do with the original topic being discussed. Usually annoying in nature, "spamming" has been known to lead to loss of the game, a sudden spike of awesomness of a certain topic, flame wars and the occasional British Invasion. "Spam Threads" have been used to express a communities extreme dislike of certain things as well as a safe way to release over-accumulated boredom.

So now you know what it is. Now go! Stop reading and DO IT

*It should be noted that spamming in a "Spam Thread" is technically impossible, as posting of un-related material is in fact the point.

I rolled a savings throw!

devilmonkey said:

I rolled a savings throw!

You rolled a 1.

You lost a wound.

how do you roll a 1 on a quarter?

That's easy!

I smash'd yer savin's throw with a hammer in mid throw, 'n swiped 24 of the 25 pennies that were left.

aww man! that always friggin happens...i swear my coins must be loaded or somethin

26 views, five posts...obviously the people of this community do not unerstand the Spam Thread.

I give this community an F+

Shall I? I think I shall.

*folds*

You just won my internets! Gosh danggit...where the fudge am I gonna find another one

*BAM*

DO NOT WORRY

BRITISH INTERNETS FOR ALL

*pulls up Limewire*

I'm goin to download teh British internetz right now!

*clicky clicky*

all the Interwebs are British Interwebs, and cheese comes from great underground mines, hence the Cheddar Gorge.

parot2.jpg

so we have Pirates, parrots & the British...one of these does not belong. Do YOU know which?

I would like to buy you lunch!

SPAM for lunch?

Ecomics21 said:

parot2.jpg

...MR. DAWN

GRAB YOUR SUNGLASSES

WE'VE GOT SOME WORK TO DO

Uh oh! Run! I'll keep him busy!

1+2=6 !

Damnit Card_Breaker I love you and hate you both at the same time...

Parrot Assassination Checklist

- Sunglasses for the badassery

- Box of Saltines laced with Stricnine

- That dog from Duck Hunt (dood hates all birds)

- C4

- Latest Issue of Parrot Assassin Monthly

- Bird Poo Resistant Trench Coat

- Potato Salad

AND TO HELL WE RIDE!

What's orange and sounds like a parrot?

A carrot.

But here is the ultimate - a parrot carrot.

A parrot carrot

simulacra said:

A parrot carrot

!
Those bottles and chopsticks are clearly Japanese.

DAWN

I THINK I'VE LOCATED THEIR HEADQUARTERS

Trothael said:

simulacra said:

A parrot carrot

!
Those bottles and chopsticks are clearly Japanese.

DAWN

I THINK I'VE LOCATED THEIR HEADQUARTERS

Unless it's a decoy...

Check out the skin tone of those arms, the presence of cutlery

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!!!

They do look strangely caucasian.

By the Gods...I've been tricked!

Oh no....

If they've managed to trick even you then they've grown incredibly stronger and intelligent...they...they've evolved *shudder*

We must retreat and regroup for now...

From http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200607/s1693309.htm

Parrots 'as intelligent' as young children
By Kirsten Veness for The World Today

An American scientist says the results of a 29-year study suggest parrots could be as intelligent as five-year-old humans.

Brandeis University Professor Irene Pepperberg says her study of Alex, an african grey parrot, shows parrots have an impressive intelligence.

"They're about the same intelligence as a five-year-old child but their communication skills, at least as far as we've looked at in the lab, are only about that of a two-year-old," she said.

"So no long, complicated sentences but the ability to answer the questions that we ask."

Alex can identify 100 objects, most of them food and toys from around his home.

He can add up and identify seven colours.

"If you put language in quotes, yes, they use English speech," Professor Pepperberg said.

"So if I ask Alex … how many keys; he'll tell me 'two'.

"If I ask him what colour, he'll say 'green and if I ask what shape, he'll say 'three-quarter'."

Routine questions
Professor Pepperberg says Alex can use simple phrases to say where he wants to go, and even has a few more complex sentences under his wing.

"There are long phrases that he has that have what we call general reference, but not specific reference," she said.

"We'll have what we call the goodnight routine, so when we leave at night this: 'You be good, I'll see you tomorrow' or 'I'm going to go eat dinner, I'll see you tomorrow' - things like that.

"He has a general sense of the appropriateness of when these are supposed to be said, but probably doesn't understand what all those words mean."

But Alex is no galah - when he does not want to do what is asked, he makes it known.

"He'll generally perform with almost perfect accuracy for about the first maybe 12, 15 trials, and then he just does not want to do it … he'll sit there and he'll preen, or he'll give me all the wrong answers in a row, which takes a lot of intelligence because he's avoiding the one correct answer," the Professor said.

"If he's giving me six wrong answers in a row, you know he's avoiding that seventh answer carefully.

"So you know he knows it, because by chance he couldn't do that."

Autistic children
Professor Pepperberg became interested in parrots after realising there was little study done in the area.

Her research is now being used to help children with learning difficulties.

"I've been working with a colleague, Diane Sherman, who's in Monterey at New-Found Therapies, and she's been adapting our training procedures for work with autistic children, with very good results," Professor Pepperberg said.

"She's helped these children immensely. None of the children have reached completely normal stages, but all of them have progressed significantly."

Professor Pepperberg says she does not know if parrots' consciousness is the same as humans'.

"They certainly have what we call perceptual awareness," she said.

"They're very much aware of their environment, they're aware of everything around them.

"Are they aware of being aware? That is the really critical question."